As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Against Everyone’s Better Judgement The [Movie] Thread is Open

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Ringo wrote: »
    I finally watched The House with a Clock in its Walls today

It's pretty good!

Jack Black plays a trashy Midwestern warlock (the role he was born to play) and mentors a young boy

It also features Cate Blanchett and Kyle MacLachlan, who play their magician parts essentially exactly as you would expect

It's arguably Eli Roth's first good movie

I loved how fucking dark Cate Blanchett's use of magic is. They don't even explicitly link it to her backstory, just "World War One fucking sucked for me, let's move on"
    Her story is very distinctly tied to World War II, unless I'm missing some other reference.

Whoops you're right
    It was WWII not WWI. And yes, she lost her magic due to the war, but what I'm talking about is her use of magic after she gets it back. Jack Black is so pleased with himself having telekineticly blown apart a pumpkin when they get thrown out of the house. When they return, Blanchett just guns them all down with her umbrella, and then follows that up with gassing the creepy dolls inside. To me, those were some implications about what her involvement in the war was like, and IIRC it's not directly pointed out. Though I saw it in theaters, so clearly my memory needs refreshing

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Watching Coppola’s Dracula again

This movie is fuckin’ wild and I love how it somehow manages to maintain that wildness, despite how long it is

It’s weird to call it a “fun” movie but I don’t know how you can have a movie with some of these effects in it and not have a grand old time watching it

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Something a friend of mine likes to point out is how Hopkins' van Helsing acts, and how everyone reacts to him.
    I mean, we know that everything he says is accurate, but to most of the cast, he comes across as a lunatic.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020

It's pretty good!

Jack Black plays a trashy Midwestern warlock (the role he was born to play) and mentors a young boy

It also features Cate Blanchett and Kyle MacLachlan, who play their magician parts essentially exactly as you would expect

I saw this recently too! I liked it, there’s some good performances in it!

Edit: Cate Blanchett and Jack Black have real chemistry in the movie, and I feel like there is literally zero sexual tension, which is super refreshing.

sarukun on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    the wife and I wanted to watch a perfect movie with no flaws whatsoever so we put on The Addams Family

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    i think i've watched the addams family / values like 6+ times in the past year

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    the wife and I wanted to watch a perfect movie with no flaws whatsoever so we put on The Addams Family

she seen commando?

cause if she needs to see another perfect movie...

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Addams Family has exactly one flaw and it’s that the opening credits are just really flat and boring.

The rest of the film is impeccable, but I just really don’t like the execution in the credits.

The premise is fantastic! It’s just shot weird and is super long and awkward and sucks.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Started Blue Ruin. Super concise set up with extremely little dialogue and I know exactly what's happening and what the person is doing and why right off the bat. Thats always a good start. Dunno if it'll maintain that as it goes.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Addams Family has exactly one flaw and it’s that the opening credits are just really flat and boring.

The rest of the film is impeccable, but I just really don’t like the execution in the credits.

The premise is fantastic! It’s just shot weird and is super long and awkward and sucks.

The first half is great, where we see those WASPy carollers get boiling pitch poured on them. Then there's another minute at least of just names on a screen. I'd bet that was a studio addition, gotta put everyone's fucking names up before the movie starts like this is Casablanca or some shit...

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

It's pretty good!

I loved how fucking dark Cate Blanchett's use of magic is. They don't even explicitly link it to her backstory, just "World War One fucking sucked for me, let's move on"
    Her story is very distinctly tied to World War II, unless I'm missing some other reference.

Whoops you're right
    It was WWII not WWI. And yes, she lost her magic due to the war, but what I'm talking about is her use of magic after she gets it back. Jack Black is so pleased with himself having telekineticly blown apart a pumpkin when they get thrown out of the house. When they return, Blanchett just guns them all down with her umbrella, and then follows that up with gassing the creepy dolls inside. To me, those were some implications about what her involvement in the war was like, and IIRC it's not directly pointed out. Though I saw it in theaters, so clearly my memory needs refreshing
    It's pointed out to the extent that her last name is Zimmerman, she talks about a dead family, and she has a tattoo on her left arm.

Which yeah, isn't directly saying anything, but it's a fairly complete picture to me.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Started Blue Ruin. Super concise set up with extremely little dialogue and I know exactly what's happening and what the person is doing and why right off the bat. Thats always a good start. Dunno if it'll maintain that as it goes.

So, what did you think in the end?

I liked Blue Ruin quite a bit. I saw it at an early screening with a Q&A with the director, and he was super douchey. BUT, he followed it up with Green Room and that was arguably even better.

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

she seen commando?

I absolutely guarantee she has negative interest in Commando

• Options
    I could probably sell her on True Lies though

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    “Yes it has Tom Arnold... But also Jamie Lee Curtis!”

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Ketar wrote: »

So, what did you think in the end?

I liked Blue Ruin quite a bit. I saw it at an early screening with a Q&A with the director, and he was super douchey. BUT, he followed it up with Green Room and that was arguably even better.

I liked the movie! It was a well shot, very quiet and very breathy suspense film. The plot was simple enough that it allowed a lot of room for zero dialogue and lots of atmosphere and time to think.
    Having this be a revenge flick based around a very sad, completely non descript guy who's completely out of his element in all this was a good setup. The acting was also very good. He's not an action hero, he's just a poor guy who's at the end of his rope. It made a somewhat unbelievable plot way more grounded and realistic than it should've been.

The ending was about what I expected. Dwight was never going to survive this and I think they played that final shootout well. Having the kid end up being his half brother, then walking away after everybody dies to get into the Pontiac was a pretty subtle way of showing the perpetuation of the violence. A lot of films would've beat you over the head with it. This one kind of lightly touched on it and left it just vague enough to feel more earned, I think.

Overall a pretty solid flick.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

True Lies is my favourite action/comedy of all time. Also one of schwarzeneggers best and most underrated acting performances. He’s legit got brilliant comedic timing in it

Prohass on
  • Options
    Think I'm gonna watch Green Room next.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »

True Lies is my favourite action/comedy of all time. Also one of schwarzeneggers best and most underrated acting performances. He’s legit got brilliant comedic timing in it

You could tell he had a lot of fun filming that movie, too. That's how you get good performances!

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I watched The Trial of the Chicago 7

it's mostly well-made (I thought Molly's Game was kind of a disaster, so Sorkin has definitely gotten better at directing) and well-acted, but I just tear my hair out politically

Sorkin just cannot help himself from some epic "well, sir, you see, you are a BUFFOON" takedowns being the ultimate act that can change everything; the movie ends on what may be his most laughable big gesture yet and yes I have seen the "we reported the news" scene from the Newsroom

and yet all that being said, I can't say I had a BAD time

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »

"And how do you plan on doing all this?"

"You know my handcuffs?"

"Yes..."
    "I picked them!"

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I think about and/or reference the horse vs. motorcycle chase in True Lies at least once a month

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

Also be sure to check out his first film, Murder Party.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I think about and/or reference the horse vs. motorcycle chase in True Lies at least once a month

So less often then Ansel Adams then.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Who

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Who

mike jones

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

she seen commando?

I absolutely guarantee she has negative interest in Commando

I don't understand

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

See, I'm thinking about the dinner scene and Arnold's death stare.
    Ktd5XiS.gif

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    Today is the birthday of both Jean Arthur and Rita Hayworth, so it’s a perfect day to watch Only Angels Have Wings—the best movie either of them were in (and they were in some of the best).

It’s on Criterion Channel until the end of the month so check it out.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

See, I'm thinking about the dinner scene and Arnold's death stare.
    Ktd5XiS.gif

In a similar vein, I always giggle thinking about this:
    t39aht0ik7va.gif

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The only singular flaw that Addam's Family has is that it's not Addam's Family Values

Which is also a flaw it shares with all other movies so it's kind of moot

• Options
    I had never seen the sequel until a few days ago, so imagine my surprise upon learning the premise of it is "Christopher Lloyd is incredibly horny for Joan Cusack"

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    joan cusack is hot as shit in that movie it makes perfect sense

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I had never seen the sequel until a few days ago, so imagine my surprise upon learning the premise of it is "Christopher Lloyd is incredibly horny for Joan Cusack"

Yeah but who isn't

• Options
    I didn't say it wasn't relatable

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    joan cusack is hot as shit in that movie it makes perfect sense

She was downright electrifying:
    bqb5qtoqucwi.jpg

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular

Also be sure to check out his first film, Murder Party.

Murder Party is a good movie

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Murder Party didn't do it for me. I liked the premise but I felt like the acting was bad. I also have no theater or arts background and I think that didn't help.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Murder Party didn't do it for me. I liked the premise but I felt like the acting was bad. I also have no theater or arts background and I think that didn't help.

oh yeah a good 50% of my enjoyment came from "haha I know like twenty of these dumb assholes."

edit: and I respect anybody who finds an invite to a 'murder party' on the ground and not only goes but brings pumpkin bread.

Depressperado on
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    the addams family movies are the best comic adaptations what's up

aGPmIBD.jpg
This discussion has been closed.