As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The General [Coronavirus] Discussion Thread is WAY worse than the flu

• Options
    StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    Welp, the U.S has had the highest number of cases today since July 31, well into the third wave now. Looks like we'll break the record number of nearly 79,000 new cases of July 24th either tomorrow or next week, too. Yay, so much winning.

• Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    It's not even actually cold yet. I'm worried about what will happen once we hit actual winter temperatures and everybody gathers inside.

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    JUST ANNOUNCED: We have finalized a partnership with CVSHealth and Walgreens to deliver the Coronavirus vaccine, when approved, directly to nursing homes—at no cost to seniors!
    Anyway see you guys in a year or two when health problems from the rushed vaccine come about and admin officials decline to take responsibility and push all liability onto CVS and Walgreens. Who, by the way, absolutely deserve it because they're partnering with the actual devil.

Pharma's have had agreements for years that prevent any kind of liability from vaccines. There's no money in vaccines, they wouldnt make them without said govt protection. It's one of the ways libertarian/conservative doctrine completely falls apart in simple terms.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I'm not sure he can actually do this. He'd have to issue a voucher, credit or discount.

That's budget. That's the Houseuse of Representatives.

You can bet "no cost to seniors" also has a few caveats like, "we just use all of your medicare drug benefits"

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I swear there was a provision of ACA that allows for the vaccine to be free to everyone, but since he's suing to get rid of that I guess he has to make another make believe deal to fix his own fuck up there as well.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Preacher wrote: »
    I swear there was a provision of ACA that allows for the vaccine to be free to everyone, but since he's suing to get rid of that I guess he has to make another make believe deal to fix his own fuck up there as well.

The ACA has no cost-sharing (copay or deductible) on ACIP recommended vaccines (flu, HPV, Tdap, meningitis, Shingles, PPSV23, PCV13, etc). Whether Medicaid covers it is up to the individual states. One assumes a Covid vaccine would be added to the ACIP list to make it fully covered.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    I'm not sure he can actually do this. He'd have to issue a voucher, credit or discount.

You can bet "no cost to seniors" also has a few caveats like, "we just use all of your medicare drug benefits"

He can absolutely do it, because its a sensible thing to do, and extends in a very minor way which is barely worth mentioning an existing and highly succesful vaccine program with CVS and Walgreens.

Here's the thing. The US government actually has VAST pandemic protection powers which it could choose to deploy at any time, through executive agencies like the CDC and so on. Anything which Trump wants to do about the Virus which seems sensible he can do. Free testing? No worries. Ban interstate travel? Absolutely. National lockdown starting tomorrow? Of course! Back in the 1800s and early 1900s disease control was a big thing that government was FOR. Precedent is absolutely on the side of, "If it would help public health, then you can do it and noone can stop you"

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    One arrested in threat to kidnap and kill Wichita mayor over COVID-19 mask mandate
    A Wichita man has been arrested on suspicion of threatening to kidnap and kill Wichita Mayor Brandon Whipple over frustrations with city’s mask ordinance, the mayor said Friday afternoon.

Meredith Dowty, 59, was booked into Sedgwick County Jail at 6:05 p.m., Friday, booking reports show. Police confirmed he is the suspect and said he could face a charge of criminal threat.

Whipple said he had been read a series of text messages received by another city official that asked about Whipple’s address and contained a detailed threat against his life.

The apparent motive was the suspect’s opposition to “masks and tyranny,” Whipple said.

“He said he was going to kidnap me and slash my throat and he needed my address because I needed to see the hangman — me and everyone who, something about tyranny,” Whipple said.

My hometown continues to show its ass

Just another mentally ill lone wolf.

Nothing like the Michigan pack of lone wolves.

And obviously nothing to do with the President loudly screaming about opposing mask mandates, and how these places should be liberated.

Nothing to see here, move along.

LeslieNielsonNothingToSeeHere.gif

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    StarZapper wrote: »
    Welp, the U.S has had the highest number of cases today since July 31, well into the third wave now. Looks like we'll break the record number of nearly 79,000 new cases of July 24th either tomorrow or next week, too. Yay, so much winning.
    ...I thought we were still in the second wave? Did that drop and I missed it?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    ...I thought we were still in the second wave? Did that drop and I missed it?

It went down for like a month before it started climbing again. Technically a new wave.

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    America isnt in a second wave, it never left the first.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    America isnt in a second wave, it never left the first.

Some areas, like Michigan and New York did and are on the second wave.

Nationally different areas have been hit at different times, but it's safe to say most places the first wave never really stopped.

• Options
    bk1pw4r9ahqh.jpg

The nation as a whole is in it's third ascent of cases. Individually that's going to vary by location, but as a whole this is the worst off we've been. It's all semantic anyway, because yes we never stopped it's transmission in the first place, so it can be seen as one continuous outbreak as well.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    It makes me so mad to see cheap UV-A LED lamps marketed as germicidal lamps on sites like Amazon and Ebay. The sellers even pay for fake reviews and certifications claiming their effectiveness.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    dispatch.o wrote: »

He can absolutely do it, because its a sensible thing to do, and extends in a very minor way which is barely worth mentioning an existing and highly succesful vaccine program with CVS and Walgreens.

Here's the thing. The US government actually has VAST pandemic protection powers which it could choose to deploy at any time, through executive agencies like the CDC and so on. Anything which Trump wants to do about the Virus which seems sensible he can do. Free testing? No worries. Ban interstate travel? Absolutely. National lockdown starting tomorrow? Of course! Back in the 1800s and early 1900s disease control was a big thing that government was FOR. Precedent is absolutely on the side of, "If it would help public health, then you can do it and noone can stop you"

Yeah, the federal government essentially has virtually unlimited powers in a pandemic. Which makes the strategy of “sit around for 5 months doing pretty much nothing except a soft ban on China travel, while state governments handle everything, pass an inadequate stimulus bill, then sit around for another 6 months doing nothing” was a really bold strategy.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    My wife reports that gossip is the state might be going full remote again due to exploding cases. If only we could have seen this coming and already been remote and not have had all the cases.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Meanwhile our school board is voting soon on sending kids back in the midst of Michigan setting daily records.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    bk1pw4r9ahqh.jpg

The nation as a whole is in it's third ascent of cases. Individually that's going to vary by location, but as a whole this is the worst off we've been. It's all semantic anyway, because yes we never stopped it's transmission in the first place, so it can be seen as one continuous outbreak as well.

I think its still fair to say that the first ascent was the worst, there were far more cases there, probably by an order of magnitude, than that graph suggests due to highly limited testing. We did reach almost 2500 deaths a day average, and that was during the peak, not some lagged number that combined deaths from people dying after a long time on ventilators with those killed immediately by the virus.

But we have definitely had three major peaks. The worst part about this one is that it is very geographically diverse, however, the majority of states with the largest increases and largest numbers of positives are in the Midwest. Those states have also done the worst job increasing their testing. The other thing smearing this data is that our testing growth is so uneven. We have increased testing ~20% over the last 3 weeks, but, that increase isn't uniformly applied, and much of it is in places where case growth has been less than test growth. So, in the country as a whole cases are growing a bit faster than testing, there are regions where testing is growing faster than cases, and sadly regions where testing is flat and cases are exploding.

Makes the whole situation complex to understand and manage. Things suck, but by varying amounts in different places, and no one indicator can really tell you what is happening.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    It's best to look at it on a regional basis. Looking at it as a country is useful for a global perspective, but you live locally, so that's most likely what you're going to care about.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    It's best to look at it on a regional basis. Looking at it as a country is useful for a global perspective, but you live locally, so that's most likely what you're going to care about.

Plus, basically all the responses are happening at the state level anyways.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    New England seems to be entering a second wave, NH especially. As a region overall we seemed to do a really good job bringing down cases, but with schools reopening/college students coming back/people getting tired of restrictions, we've taken a turn for the worse.

Not looking forward to Winter.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Basically everyone is going into a new wave now. Difference is the US had a 2nd wave already during the Summer primarily from Florida and Arizona

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    EU is well into second wave. We are very close to shutting down again.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    EU is well into second wave. We are very close to shutting down again.

Looks like France has already started no?

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Meanwhile our school board is voting soon on sending kids back in the midst of Michigan setting daily records.

That was us in early October. Have to stick your hand in the fire to make sure it’s hot.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    edited October 2020
    bk1pw4r9ahqh.jpg

I think its still fair to say that the first ascent was the worst, there were far more cases there, probably by an order of magnitude, than that graph suggests due to highly limited testing. We did reach almost 2500 deaths a day average, and that was during the peak, not some lagged number that combined deaths from people dying after a long time on ventilators with those killed immediately by the virus.

But we have definitely had three major peaks. The worst part about this one is that it is very geographically diverse, however, the majority of states with the largest increases and largest numbers of positives are in the Midwest. Those states have also done the worst job increasing their testing. The other thing smearing this data is that our testing growth is so uneven. We have increased testing ~20% over the last 3 weeks, but, that increase isn't uniformly applied, and much of it is in places where case growth has been less than test growth. So, in the country as a whole cases are growing a bit faster than testing, there are regions where testing is growing faster than cases, and sadly regions where testing is flat and cases are exploding.

Makes the whole situation complex to understand and manage. Things suck, but by varying amounts in different places, and no one indicator can really tell you what is happening.

The first wave was definitely bigger, although it's hard to measure by how much but an estimated 20% of NYC caught it based on antibody testing. Of course the mortality rate was also larger back then, since there was very little clinical experience treating the illness (plus the few treatment options they have now, like steroids / regeneron ) and the hospitals got overwhelmed. Plus there were a ton of outbreaks in senior care centers which caused a lot of deaths, and those have been on pretty tight lockdowns and controls ever since. But it's entirely possible we're nearing a similar rate of infections as then, but a lower CFR due to various reasons. Either way, it's not looking good going into flu season and an election where millions will stand in line to vote!

StarZapper on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Yeah it's a little misleading because we fucked up testing so badly and nobody could actually get a test back in February/March/April.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Hey, this is belated by a page, but since there was advice about KN95s do be careful about which if any you buy

The government of Canada had a sizable recall of them because some were even less safe than a standard cloth mask

Determine their origin (if they came from China they had an especially high failure rate) and if they were certified locally if possible

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Edit - no point

tbloxham on
  • Options
    Yeah it's a little misleading because we fucked up testing so badly and nobody could actually get a test back in February/March/April.

Even the deaths are undercounts in that peak (its where the biggest discrepancy between expected and seen deaths is excluding known covid deaths), and standards for hospitalization were way higher than would be 'ideal' today.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    38thDoe wrote: »
    My wife reports that gossip is the state might be going full remote again due to exploding cases. If only we could have seen this coming and already been remote and not have had all the cases.

You could have celebrated your lack of cases at your many open bars and restaurants!

Infections from indoor drinking and dining drove peak 2 in Florida and Texas. Its doing the same in this one.

tbloxham on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

JUST ANNOUNCED: We have finalized a partnership with CVSHealth and Walgreens to deliver the Coronavirus vaccine, when approved, directly to nursing homes—at no cost to seniors!
    Anyway see you guys in a year or two when health problems from the rushed vaccine come about and admin officials decline to take responsibility and push all liability onto CVS and Walgreens. Who, by the way, absolutely deserve it because they're partnering with the actual devil.

Pharma's have had agreements for years that prevent any kind of liability from vaccines. There's no money in vaccines, they wouldnt make them without said govt protection. It's one of the ways libertarian/conservative doctrine completely falls apart in simple terms.

It's even stupider then that since there isn't a vaccine ready to go in the next 3 weeks and (most likely) not for another 4 months.

It's the video-game equivelant of preordering vaporware.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    Gaddez wrote: »

It's even stupider then that since there isn't a vaccine ready to go in the next 3 weeks and (most likely) not for another 4 months.

No, its a very sensible plan to prepare an already existing vaccine delivery program for an upcoming vaccine. Its much needed basic preparation.

The scandal isn't that we are doing it. The scandal is that the modifications to the already existing vaccine chain should have been made months ago, and the pretense that it is some major achievement by the trump administration. This is like celebrating that the debt ceiling gets raised.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular

No, its a very sensible plan to prepare an already existing vaccine delivery program for an upcoming vaccine. Its much needed basic preparation.

The scandal isn't that we are doing it. The scandal is that the modifications to the already existing vaccine chain should have been made months ago, and the pretense that it is some major achievement by the trump administration. This is like celebrating that the debt ceiling gets raised.
    I'm sure it would be a very sensible plan if it actually existed. There is no plan. It does not exist.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Well, there probably is a "plan." That "plan" is "flail around in an attempt to keep the seniors from voting for Biden." Make up whatever and try not to mention abolishing Social Security for the next twoish weeks.

This should not be mistaken with any sort of plan to do anything about the global goddamn pandemic.

• Options

I'm sure it would be a very sensible plan if it actually existed. There is no plan. It does not exist.

There is a plan. Distribute vaccines in partnership with Walgreens and CVS is a plan! Its just its a plan we already use that we are updating a bit.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Man there are literally hundreds of people right outside my front door, and probably thousands in the whole downtown region, we are just so turbo fucked here. They are definitely folks from all over the country too.

Sleep on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Where is here?

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Salem, like our mayor has literally said that people should stay away, and the governance of the city is trying to regulate the shit out of everything to make coming here to hang out super unattractive, but we still got a ton of foot traffic today.

Sleep on
  • Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Salem, like our mayor has literally said that people should stay away, and the governance of the city is trying to regulate the shit out of everything to make coming here to hang out super unattractive, but we still got a ton of foot traffic today.

Bike week is apparently back on here across the bridge in Panama City Beach. So you know... Sturgis... but Florida...

This discussion has been closed.