As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[2020 ELECTION] THREAD OF WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FORK

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    We've addressed this before.

"Lock her up" was his big hit back in 2016. He's chasing that high.

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular

Anyone who wasn't locked in 4 years ago is going to point out that this is a jackalope hunt.

And while this is clearly the president just slopping the hogs, the issue is that he can't win with just his base.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm very comfortable saying at this point, if you're legitimately undecided... not 'I'm not voting for either out of principle'.. but actually on the fence between the two and you just can't decide?

You should never get to vote again

I'd suggest thise people at least get a coupe elections time out too. If your opinion is "Trump may be a raging psychopathic bigot, but Biden isn't doing it enough for me, so I'll pass", then either you're self-entitlement that shit won't get bad for you,
    Gaddez wrote: »

Anyone who wasn't locked in 4 years ago is going to point out that this is a jackalope hunt.

And while this is clearly the president just slopping the hogs, the issue is that he can't win with just his base.

Wait, is he a Marcus player, or a Ulix player?
    He's neither, he'd never have the patience for TTG's.

• Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Actually imprisoning your political enemies is like the final wax seal on the cursed spellbook Trump needs to use to complete the "Become A Real Fascist" ritual. I'm not sure if he's too incompetent, or too lazy, or in his heart isn't actually a fascist but just REALLY wants to be their idol anyway.

:confused:

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Actually imprisoning your political enemies is like the final wax seal on the cursed spellbook Trump needs to use to complete the "Become A Real Fascist" ritual. I'm not sure if he's too incompetent, or too lazy, or in his heart isn't actually a fascist but just REALLY wants to be their idol anyway.

:confused:

He can't do anything without his enablers, and his enablers don't actually want to arrest politicians for fictional crimes, so it doesn't happen. If he gets enablers that DO want to do that, he will do so.

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Pretty much every conservative goal is a "dog chasing car" scenario.

They don't want to have to deliver on these promises. Or they want to put some distance between them and the decision, like getting the Supreme Court to take out Roe and ACA.

I think they really want to get rid of Roe Vs Wade. The result would be that abortion is a "State's rights" thing. So Kentucky can ban it, and California can keep it, and they can send their unwise daughters to California should the need arise.

• RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Yeah I'm very comfortable saying at this point, if you're legitimately undecided... not 'I'm not voting for either out of principle'.. but actually on the fence between the two and you just can't decide?

You should never get to vote again

What if you are an enormous racist but not enthusiastic about dying of coronavirus.

Decisions!

It's almost as if people are starting to realize that viruses don't give a fuck about race or shitty grievance politics.
    I think they really want to get rid of Roe Vs Wade. The result would be that abortion is a "State's rights" thing. So Kentucky can ban it, and California can keep it, and they can send their unwise daughters to California should the need arise.

Don't forget their mistresses too.

Raiju on
  • DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I'm pretty sure that the "lock her/him/them up" thing isn't a serious idea, just a way to preemptively paint future charges against his administration as politically motivated.

EDIT: Okay, actually, no, I think he says it because he's demented and his Yeerk is out of Kandrona rays. But I think muddying the waters about criminality is why no one's tried to get him to stop saying it.

Diplominator on
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure that the "lock her/him/them up" thing isn't a serious idea, just a way to preemptively paint future charges against his administration as politically motivated.

EDIT: Okay, actually, no, I think he says it because he's demented and his Yeerk is out of Kandrona rays. But I think muddying the waters about criminality is why no one's tried to get him to stop saying it.

IMO, it's serious in the way that most bullying/fascist "jokes" are. They want to do it, simply because it strokes their id. No deeper or higher motive. When they actually can't (yet), they can claim they were just joking.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    There is no Ukraine bombshell

If there was they would've dumped it already.

They're hoping to dump some bullshit like Comey's statement in 2016 right before the election. Then hope it's not exposed as complete bunk before Nov 3

• ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    If the people you don't like are uncaught criminals it's very easy to hate them, I think it's as simple as that. This country already dehumanizes the imprisoned, and the obviously guilty but not currently in prison even worse. "Hillary Clinton is a person who we disagree with quite often in regards to policy" is a worse rallying cry than "KILLARY CLINTON RUNS A PEDO RING OUT OF A PIZZA SHOP LET'S GET HER." It also prevents your followers from ever taking the other person seriously. Who cares if their policy proposal is good? They're a fucking criminal it's probably shady.

I will always respect John McCain for trying to correct his supporters for the "Obama is a secret Muslim" lie but it's clear a lot of Republicans saw him lose that thing in a landslide and go the other way on it.

Ain't nobody shooting up pizza shops over the finer points of tax policy, you know?

ChaosHat on
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    At the rate early voting is going, this is the time they need their big splash. Like, right now. Or better yet, yesterday. They're just about out of time to change the outcome. They need something big in the news cycles for like a week starting right around now or Democrats will already have banked enough votes, assuming there's not a big polling error (knock on wood).

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Trump is a cowardly blowhard. If he really wanted to arrest Hillary/Biden/Obama, he’s had the power to do so for years now, but he hasn’t because that would require effort on his part. Plus he lacks the spine to commit to the political blowback it would bring. So he just bullshits at campaign rallies to get the love cheers he craves because his supporters only understand empty platitudes and that is so much more valuable to him.

Trump’s a wannabe strongman and I doubt Trump has the personal fortitude to arrest anyone if it risks himself, hence four years of bullshit. That said, Trump is like a corned rat and that can lead to him acting out in a dangerously unpredictable manner.

The fact we’re even discussing this as a possibility highlights how bad things have gotten, even if it is unlikely.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Pet theory about politics number I dunno anymore: both bullshit and racism are luxury goods for swing voters. It's stuff they want to indulge in, but only if the country is not a tire fire.

Basically the appeal of the Leopard Eating People's Faces Party is that they promise to eat other people's faces and not yours. When they get elected and your face has an angry leopard's jaws attached to it all of a sudden, the appeal fades away.

That sad part about this is that it suggests the pattern for democracies going forward is wild swings between left-wing parties fixing shit, followed by xenophobic right-wing parties taking power once things are looking better and then burning it all down again.

shryke wrote: »
    Pet theory about politics number I dunno anymore: both bullshit and racism are luxury goods for swing voters. It's stuff they want to indulge in, but only if the country is not a tire fire.

Basically the appeal of the Leopard Eating People's Faces Party is that they promise to eat other people's faces and not yours. When they get elected and your face has an angry leopard's jaws attached to it all of a sudden, the appeal fades away.

That sad part about this is that it suggests the pattern for democracies going forward is wild swings between left-wing parties fixing shit, followed by xenophobic right-wing parties taking power once things are looking better and then burning it all down again.

Political bipolar.

• GyralGyral Registered User regular
    The real crime in this is how the story "Giuliani is a treasonous middleman between the Trump campaign and Russian" isn't absolutely a bigger thing. But, I guess the news outlets are just as complicit in this hellscape as the politicians are.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »
    The real crime in this is how the story "Giuliani is a treasonous middleman between the Trump campaign and Russian" isn't absolutely a bigger thing. But, I guess the news outlets are just as complicit in this hellscape as the politicians are.

We've been in a scandal gishgallop for a long time.

• SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Trump is a cowardly blowhard. If he really wanted to arrest Hillary/Biden/Obama, he’s had the power to do so for years now, but he hasn’t because that would require effort on his part. Plus he lacks the spine to commit to the political blowback it would bring. So he just bullshits at campaign rallies to get the love cheers he craves because his supporters only understand empty platitudes and that is so much more valuable to him.

Trump’s a wannabe strongman and I doubt Trump has the personal fortitude to arrest anyone if it risks himself, hence four years of bullshit. That said, Trump is like a corned rat and that can lead to him acting out in a dangerously unpredictable manner.

The fact we’re even discussing this as a possibility highlights how bad things have gotten, even if it is unlikely.

Trump having Biden/Hillary/Obama arrested would probably require some kind of purge of the FBI/DHS officials who wouldn't go along with it, and would risk turning even more officials against him. I think the Comey firing was Trump attempting something like that and finding out that stove is hot and he shouldn't touch it.

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Harrison is being pretty obvious with a new ad trying to split off Graham votes to Graham's right

(Pol reporter)
    Hmmm... Jaime Harrison has a new ad airing in Charleston today.

"But beware, right-wing Constitution Party candidate Bill Bledsoe is also on the ballot. Bledsoe opposes all abortions and Bledsoe supported Trump from Day One...Bledsoe's too conservative for South Carolina." https://t.co/rW4rLQDq3o

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Is this the politico equivalent of trolling?

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Bledsoe endorsed Graham.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Bledsoe endorsed Graham.

Yep, but he's still on the ballot.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Today is the first day of NV early voting and turnout is bonkers.

Mail in voting is already higher than 2018's total mail in returns, and is ~17% of all registered voters, but NV also mailed everyone a ballot, so it's difficult to make any assumptions.

I'm trying to stop myself from just refreshing Ralston's twitter and that's a bad sign for me for the next few weeks :p

Mancingtom wrote: »
    Is this the politico equivalent of trolling?

It's usually done in primaries to try to pick your opponent. Claire McCaskill did this successfully in 2012 by running ads "attacking" Todd Akin in a similar way. Haven't seen it with a general election third party candidate by a Democrat before. The right, of course, pulls this shit all the time by financially supporting the Green Party.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Speaking of third party candidates, the Alaskan senate race has been somewhat competitive, but apparently an Alaska Indepenance Party candidate got on the ballot and has sucked away a ton of support from mostly the Dem nominee (who is actually an independent running on the Dem ticket) in a recent poll. It's only one poll, but it's the first with all three candidates, so it doesn't look good.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    I did a democracy!

No, I didn't vote for Biden. He wasn't on the ballot. Didn't vote for any Democrats at all, at the state or federal level.

Sure, it was a local council election in the southeast suburbs of Victoria, Australia, done by automatic issuance mail in ballot. But I did list two rather progressive seeming women candidates first and second (we have ranked choice voting), but dammit, I voted.

I was tempted to put Trump on the list, just so I could list him seventh (out of six), as it'd be the only chance I had to vote against him (given I'm not a US citizen), but I didn't want to invalidate my ballot.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    The “lock them up” thing is insane considering there were just two recently-foiled plots from crazies trying to enact justice on a dem governor and den mayor

Is that Trump’s Michigan rally where he’s leading that chant?

Captain Inertia on
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

Calling for locking up political opponents despite no crimes is still fucked up.

How is still a fucking thing? Especially with all the crimes this pumpkin faced fucker is commiting. Him and his children. And their friends. Crimes they've been doing for years. But yes, let's lock up the bidens for..... Joe caring for his son? His son being an addict? Her emails?

It's just become a rallying call and it's sickening. We don't call for the jailing of our political opponents. We better go after this rat fucker after he's out of office.

Giuliani called into The Daily Beast and went on what appears to be a truly magnificent hour long "interview". He says there's really only a 50/50 chance that the guy he's been working with is a Russian Spy. That Soros is behind everything. . And that he plans to continually drip info up until the election.

Beyond the usual insanity, the pop out for me was that Trump and numerous GOP members, including Ron Johnson and Jim Jordan, were briefed thoroughly on the laptop, including being given files. All well before the release.

Rudy is a fucking idiot and the media should just ignore him. I'm seriously worried for him, he doesn't seem well when I hear him

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »

I don't think history really supports the idea that during periods economic misery appeals to racism become weaker to people who are already open to ideas of racial villains.

I think the easier argument to make is that there's lot of white americans who are OK with the casual like, soft racism of "black people are just complaining but actually everything is fine" or "immigration is too easy now" or "actually it's white men who have it the hardest in America!", etc etc. Or even like, "I'm not racist but I don't want to live near lots of black people because [racism]." Stuff where like it's racially motivated, but it's also not just straight-up racial animus, either.

Unspoken, subtextual, dogwhistle racism is one thing. But Trump just puts it all out on the table by doing stuff like refusing to condemn white supremacists, and making it obvious he refuses to. Even your average racist white guy still enjoys watching a klansman get punched in the face. When Trump makes veiled references to taking America back to the good old days, the non hardcore deplorable folks like that. But he keeps shooting himself in the foot by making his racism too blatant for people to ignore.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular

I don't think history really supports the idea that during periods economic misery appeals to racism become weaker to people who are already open to ideas of racial villains.

I'm not a historian, so grain of salt, but I think most of history is going to be void of examples involving "swing voters". And of the ones that do involve swing voters getting their racism on, I'd bet heavily on the racists being the ones out of power during said economic misery, thus picking up more support as the party who will change things. Obviously the racists are a huge problem, but there's also the prevalence of people who cannot be bothered to think critically or long term who just vote for whoever "sounds best"

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Giuliani called into The Daily Beast and went on what appears to be a truly magnificent hour long "interview". He says there's really only a 50/50 chance that the guy he's been working with is a Russian Spy. That Soros is behind everything. . And that he plans to continually drip info up until the election.

Beyond the usual insanity, the pop out for me was that Trump and numerous GOP members, including Ron Johnson and Jim Jordan, were briefed thoroughly on the laptop, including being given files. All well before the release.

Rudy is a fucking idiot and the media should just ignore him. I'm seriously worried for him, he doesn't seem well when I hear him

Trump considers him a trusted ally and he keeps making a spectacle of himself so yeah: keep the cameras on him so he can continue to be the equivelant of thermite plasma on trump's administration.

edited October 2020
    Gaddez wrote: »
    RickRude wrote: »

Trump considers him a trusted ally and he keeps making a spectacle of himself so yeah: keep the cameras on him so he can continue to be the equivelant of thermite plasma on trump's administration.

I understand him talking is good for the left. Dude puts his feet in his own mouth then shoves his face up his ass. But I kind of feel bad for him. If I was one of his grandkids I'd have an intervention with him.

RickRude on
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    They shouldn't ignore Giuliani, they should immediately forward anything they get from him to the FBI instead of fucking publishing it.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    Kana wrote: »

I think the easier argument to make is that there's lot of white americans who are OK with the casual like, soft racism of "black people are just complaining but actually everything is fine" or "immigration is too easy now" or "actually it's white men who have it the hardest in America!", etc etc. Or even like, "I'm not racist but I don't want to live near lots of black people because [racism]." Stuff where like it's racially motivated, but it's also not just straight-up racial animus, either.

Unspoken, subtextual, dogwhistle racism is one thing. But Trump just puts it all out on the table by doing stuff like refusing to condemn white supremacists, and making it obvious he refuses to. Even your average racist white guy still enjoys watching a klansman get punched in the face. When Trump makes veiled references to taking America back to the good old days, the non hardcore deplorable folks like that. But he keeps shooting himself in the foot by making his racism too blatant for people to ignore.

I agree with your first paragraph but I don't feel the last 12 years at all point to your second paragraph being true. I think American racism is so prevalent and ingrained that Trump would be leading in the polls if he wasn't such a shit administrator. "He's not hurting the people he should be hurting" doesn't indicate that being too racist is the problem.

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    Ringo wrote: »

I agree with your first paragraph but I don't feel the last 12 years at all point to your second paragraph being true. I think American racism is so prevalent and ingrained that Trump would be leading in the polls if he wasn't such a shit administrator. "He's not hurting the people he should be hurting" doesn't indicate that being too racist is the problem.

Racism is the popular part of the Republican agenda.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »

Racism is the popular part of the Republican agenda.

Racism is the sugar that makes the corporate dystopia go down.

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I do kinda love that people were like "Oh my god, Rudy, are you being duped by Russian foreign intelligence trying to illegally influence the democratic process of the United States?!?" and rather than issuing a strong denial, he's just like "Eh, maybe yes, maybe no, flip a coin".

He's basically Grandpa Simpson at this point.

euj90n71sojo.png
    I'm pretty sure that a posho would use a real Apple store to repair their laptop. If the hacked stuff is real they probably got it by phishing or straightforward burglary.

If our intelligence services are willing to come out and just fucking say "Rudy is working with Russia Agents" on this, then this entire thing is Russia's baby. Because Rudy couldn't plan his way out of a wet paper bag, the smart money is on all of this being organized by Russia and the parts played by the Trump Administration/surrogates are require as little thinking and action as possible.

This leaves us with two probable outcomes and one huge caveat: The first is that things are going according to Russia's scheme, and everything right now is bait and setup for a completely fabricated "bombshell" trap. The other is that Rudy and company, despite being kept to a minimum of responsibility, have still managed to bungle the execution of the plan in such a way that it makes the whole thing laughable from the outset.

The caveat to both of those outcomes is that planning for COVID19 or just the hellscape that is 2020 is probably far beyond anyone's ability and may have resulted in a complete disruption of everyone's plans regarding.. well, everything.

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
This discussion has been closed.