As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

🖥️🎮 - Per Aspera, Nine Witches, Haven, Phogs, Morbid & El Hijo out today!

BroloBrolo BroseidonLord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
edited December 2020 in Social Entropy++

20201029 xuan-yuan sword vii

20201029 stirring abyss

20201027 Ghostrunner

20201024 scourge bringer

20201023 Pumpkin Jack

20201022 discroom

20201022 Gonner

20201020 Solasta EA

20201020 Mainfold Garden
"The most acclaimed tower defense franchise is back with a fresh new twist!
Face empires of mighty enemies. Clash against supreme bosses, unlocking and switching to new towers. Train legendary heroes and get all the achievements using your strategy in this amazing TD game.

Kingdom Rush Vengeance will give you hours and hours of gameplay in the best tower defense game available!
" 20201016
Kingdom Rush Vengeance (tower defense, strategy)
Enter a labyrinth that moves as you move, where mastering the elements is key to defeating enemies and uncovering the mysteries of this underground world. With a new experience awaiting every time you enter the dungeon, let the power bestowed by the crown guide you in this challenging adventure!
20201016 crown trick (roguelike, turn-based, combat, dungeon, RPG)
DIRT 5 is the boldest off-road racing experience created by Codemasters. Blaze a trail on routes across the world, covering gravel, ice, snow and sand, with a roster of cars ranging from rally icons to trucks, to GT heroes.
20201016 Dirt Rally 5 (racing, off-road, sports, simulation, driving)]
"Aquanox Deep Descent is a first person underwater vehicle shooter, in which players control a variety of customizable ships to engage in fierce battles in the dystopian deep sea world of Aqua.

In the near future the Earth's surface has become uninhabitable. What remains of humankind lives in former mining and research stations, deep below the surface of the sea. Born and raised in the only world we know, the loose network of underwater settlements, torn by the war for resources and dominance between various factions.

Take control of a team of highly trained fighter pilots and experience an epic story in the dark world of Aquanox. Send your enemies down to Davy Jones' Locker with well-aimed torpedoes, shrapnel blasts, mines and more in a journey that takes you across the world's oceans and into the deepest trenches of our Earth."
20201016 aquanox (deep sea, underware, fps, action, narrative, exploration)
Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition completes the celebration of one of the most beloved real-time strategy franchises with remastered graphics and music, all previously released expansions and brand-new content to enjoy for the very first time.
20201015 Age of Empires 3 (strategy, RTS, tactics, historical, single/multiplayer)
Five new games: the hit threequel Quiplash 3, the collaborative chaos of The Devils and the Details, the fierce drawing game Champ’d Up, the speech game Talking Points and the guessing game Blather 'Round. Use phones or tablets as controllers and play with up to 8 players, and an audience of 10,000!
20201015 jackbox Party Pack 7 (multiplayer, party, social, mobile, funny)
Noita is a magical action roguelite set in a world where every pixel is physically simulated. Fight, explore, melt, burn, freeze and evaporate your way through the procedurally generated world using spells you've created yourself.
20201015 Noita (roguelike, 2D, physics, adventure, difficult)
Enter the Ring of Pain, a roguelike card crawler where encounters come to you. Each step around the ring a dire decision. Go for the loot or backstab a creeping horror? Meet strange friends bearing gifts and treasure. Choose your gear wisely to survive and discover the secrets of the Ring of Pain.
20201015 Ring of Pain (Dungeon Crawler, Card Battler, Roguelite)
Captain's Log, Star Date 2159. This is Space Crew. Its continuing mission: To defend Earth and humankind, to eliminate the extraterrestrial threat and to boldly go where no Crew has gone before in this unique, strategic, space simulation!
20201015 Space Crew (management, simulation, sci-fi, space, adventure)
Raji: An Ancient Epic is an action-adventure game set in ancient India. A young girl named Raji has been chosen by the gods to stand against the demonic invasion of the human realm. Her destiny? To rescue her younger brother and face the demon lord Mahabalasura.
20201015 Raji an ancient epic (India, action-adventure, beat-em-up, narrative)
"You are a digital exorcist, seeing beyond this reality into alternate timelines of the accused. In this short mystery, solve murders, purify the possessed, and purge their daemons.
ALL REVIEWS:"
20201015 Lucifer Within Us (sandbox, detective, investigative)
"Fight to be the tastiest cake in Cake Bash! A frantic four player party game where adorable drawn-to-life cakes beat the crumbs out of each other.
"
20101015 Cake Bash (beat-em-up, fighter, gang-beasts-like)
Cook, serve and manage your food truck as you dish out hundreds of different foods across war-torn America in this massive sequel to the million-selling series!
20201014 Cook Serve Delicious! 3?! (typing, management, difficult, simulation?)
"Partisans 1941 is a real-time tactics game with stealth elements, set on the eastern front of WW II. As an army commander behind enemy lines you gather a group of Partisans to wage guerilla warfare against the German occupants.
"
20201014 partisans 1941 (strategy, tactics, stealth, commandos)
Battle through the longest night as Leila a member of the Vigilant Order and uncover the truth behind the eternal darkness, Leila's mysterious sister, and the eldritch horrors that stalk her in a world that has forgotten daylight.
20201014 vigil: longest night (2D, metroidvania, RPG, action-adventure)
RuneScape is a high fantasy open world MMORPG. Explore an ever changing and evolving living world where new challenges, skills, and quests await. Featuring unprecedented player freedom, you choose how to play, adventure, and grow.
20201014 Runescape (MMO, RPG, fantasy)
Eternal Return is a unique MOBA/Battle Royale/Survival mix that combines strategy, mechanics, and cool characters. Choose one of the ever growing cast of characters, take on Lumia Island as one of 18 players - either solo or with a team, and prove your strength, ability, and wit.
20201014 Eternal Return: Black Survival (stategy, battle royale, free to play, moba)

Torchlight 3 (arpg, diablo-like, mmo lite)
Explore the myths and monsters of Europe’s last primeval wilderness. Play as Maia, who arrives at the ancient Białowieża Forest looking to explore her family history. Discover Rage in an adventure game inspired by the experience of the legendary tabletop roleplaying game Werewolf: The Apocalypse.
20201013 Werewolf: The Apocalypse - Heart of the Forest (visual novel, narrative, werewolves, horror)

20201012 Petal Crash
ExoCorps is Jetpack Powered Exosuit Deathmatch! Prepare for intense aerial dogfights with Lasers and Missile Swarms. Hunt your foes across vast landscapes. Avoid detection by managing heat, then let loose with viscous barrages of cannon-fire, railguns, missile rain and more.
20201009 exocorps EA (fps, multiplayer, fast, skiing, tribes)
A living world full of surprises, secrets and danger awaits in The Survivalists, an adventure-filled survival sandbox set in The Escapists universe. Explore, build, craft and even train monkeys with up to three friends in a desperate bid to survive. Have you got what it takes to be a Survivalist?
20201009 survivalists (sandbox, survival, online co-op, management, simulation)
"I Am Dead is a charming puzzle adventure game from the creators of Hohokum and Wilmot’s Warehouse about exploring the afterlife.

Morris Lupton is the recently-deceased museum curator of the tiny island of Shelmerston who is reunited with the ghost of his dog Sparky, only to discover that a disaster is about to destroy his beloved island.

Together, they must uncover Shelmerston’s ancient mysteries, prevent the island’s volcano from erupting, and save the place they call home.

Morris and Sparky must unearth a number of Shelmerston's lost and scattered ghosts. To find them, the duo must visit the places they spent time in, dive inside the memories of the people who knew them best, and learn the stories of their lives.

To help with their mission, Morris uses his newfound power that allows him to peer inside objects and people to reveal their contents and memories, like a supernatural X-Ray!"
20201008 I am dead (adventure, exploration, narrative, puzzle)
"Are you ready to live the best gaming experience that a motorcycle fan can get?
RIDE 4 will spark your competitive soul with hundreds of bikes, dozens of tracks and a whole new level of realism.
NEW AND ENHANCED CONTENTS
Choose among hundreds of officially licensed bikes and ride on dozens of tracks all around the world, carefully designed with an extraordinary level of detail! Every asset has been created starting from CAD data, laser and 3D scanning to achieve precision down to the smallest detail and let you enjoy the best two-wheel racing experience ever.
CHOOSE YOUR PATH
Jump into an amazing and dynamic adventure that interacts with your decisions and choose your own path from the regional events up to the professional leagues. Show your riding skills through challenging races, ability tests, track days and a huge set of events. You could even become an official tester for the most celebrated manufacturers!"
20201008 ride 4 (racing, simulation, motorcycles, multiplayer)
"A turn based-tactical RPG about a group of troublesome magic students. Use timing mechanics to power your spells and block attacks, explore the twisted halls of a vast magic school, fight challenging monsters and bosses, find tons of hidden treasure, and uncover dark secrets never meant to be found.
"
20201008 Ikenfell (magic school, rpg, party-based)
"Protego, the world’s leading spy agency, has been destroyed. Only one person can wield C.A.R.D.S to take control of Protego’s scattered spy crews and save the world.

You.

Guided by Protego’s only remaining analyst, Jim Ratio (Greg Miller), you must master the unique powers of each crew in a game of tactical Solitaire like none you’ve ever played before. Guide your crews home in a tale of intrigue where nobody can be trusted. Keep your cool in a world of AI spies and cyber-enhanced operators.

Once you’ve taken back control of Protego, play infinitely via Skirmish, or test your skills against the clock in Countdown, a survival mode that will test your grasp of the game’s surprising tactical depths."
20201006 The Solitaire Conspiracy (solitaire, espionage, action)
Democracy 4 lets you take the role of President / Prime minister, govern the country (choosing its policies, laws and other actions), and both transform the country as you see fit, while trying to retain enough popularity to get re-elected...
20201006 A Game of Thrones: The Board Game - Digital Edition of the HBO Show: based off of A Song of Ice and Fire: The Book Series by George R.R. Martin (strategy, simulation, political)
"Gather your party, and return to the Forgotten Realms in a tale of fellowship and betrayal, sacrifice and survival, and the lure of absolute power.

Mysterious abilities are awakening inside you, drawn from a Mind Flayer parasite planted in your brain. Resist, and turn darkness against itself. Or embrace corruption, and become ultimate evil.

From the creators of Divinity: Original Sin 2 comes a next-generation RPG, set in the world of Dungeons and Dragons.+"
20201006 Baldur's Gate 3 EA " (5e, d&d, RPG, PC, turn-based, gather your party, before venturing forth)
"
Democracy 4 lets you take the role of President / Prime minister, govern the country (choosing its policies, laws and other actions), and both transform the country as you see fit, while trying to retain enough popularity to get re-elected...
20201006 Democracy 4 EA (strategy, simulation, political)
Master the art of starfighter combat in the authentic piloting experience STAR WARS™: Squadrons. Feel the adrenaline of first-person multiplayer space dogfights alongside your squadron, and buckle up in a thrilling STAR WARS™ story.
20201002 Star Wars Squadrons (singler player, multilayer, sci-fi, dogfighting, star wars)
Build and defend villages of vegetable folk from deadly feral beasts in the blighted world of The Hollow. Explore, gather, and fight! You can even invite your friends. Can you craft the perfect village?
20201001 Drake Hollow (base building, sandbox, fortnite-like, construction)
"Circadian City is a life simulation game with an unusual touch. As if playing the boring details of daylife wasn't enough, you have to play the dreams as well.
THE DAYLIFE
Unlike some lucky bastards who rely on parents money to do whatever they like in their life, you are born like the rest of us and wasted your beautiful youth on your studies only to find a job in a shady company miles away from your hometown."
20201001 Circadian City (Slice of life, simulation, stardew-like)

Brolo on

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I played a little bit of The Council, it seems to have a pretty weak opening. Does it pick up?

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Finished the first run of Ring of Pain. The game is neat, the theme clicks with me hard.

Also, normally not into roguelike card games, but I think what makes the difference to it (in retrospect) is that it's an RPG, not a deck builder. You have gear slots and that's what you're equipping, it's not a game of "well each new card dilutes the random pool you're pulling from", which just isn't my deal.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I played a little bit of The Council, it seems to have a pretty weak opening. Does it pick up?

the whole first episode is a very slow burn, and then it ramps up considerably and never stops revving the engine

it's stupid and jank but extremely charming and earnest in what it attempts to do mechanically

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

How far in are you?

I thought the game's reach exceeded its grasp, but it had its charms

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    @Brolo I appreciate how much work you put into the videogame threads. Honestly blown away by how much quality information you manage to scout and post every time there's a title update. :)

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    but also let's get to page 2 as fast as possible so the thread loads faster

liEt3nH.png
  • GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    That OP is XL

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    @Brolo I appreciate how much work you put into the videogame threads. Honestly blown away by how much quality information you manage to scout and post every time there's a title update. :)

I was coming here to say a variant of the same. The way extra effort is both noted and appreciated, Brolo.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

yeah I don't know why twitter embeds are killing the mobile view like this, used to be a lot faster

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Brolo is extremely good and cool imo

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

yeah I don't know why twitter embeds are killing the mobile view like this, used to be a lot faster

technology will leave us all behind

liEt3nH.png
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    My scroll wheel finger weeps, good sir.

Speaking of games where the reach exceeded the grasp, I decided to take another run at Vampyr and see if I could get past the boss fight where I got stymied last time

I did indeed! The end of the game didn't totally work for me, but I still have more fondness for that game than it maybe deserves. There are interesting messages and themes throughout, about the hollow rot of aristocracy, about the arbitrary nature of power, about how "history" is just a malleable tool power structures use to justify themselves. And a game set during the Spanish Flu sure hits different when living through an epidemic, I tell you what.

Also maybe it's that I played Night Road so recently, but dang does this feel like a Vampire: The Masquerade game with the serial numbers filed off.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    All the tracking bullshit.

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    the gamer was in you this whole time...

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    All this effort almost makes up for the time he told us about the cursed webcomic thing.

Almost.

• McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Speaking of games where the reach exceeded the grasp, I decided to take another run at Vampyr and see if I could get past the boss fight where I got stymied last time

I did indeed! The end of the game didn't totally work for me, but I still have more fondness for that game than it maybe deserves. There are interesting messages and themes throughout, about the hollow rot of aristocracy, about the arbitrary nature of power, about how "history" is just a malleable tool power structures use to justify themselves. And a game set during the Spanish Flu sure hits different when living through an epidemic, I tell you what.

Also maybe it's that I played Night Road so recently, but dang does this feel like a Vampire: The Masquerade game with the serial numbers filed off.

The end of that game depends on a romance that isn't particularly compelling.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

I stalled out very, very early in Vampyr, right after entering the morgue, because I sucked (lol) too much at the combat to get past the first fight in there and the autosave was just inside the door which you then can't go back out of so haha, fuck me, do this fight forever I guess.

I'm currently watching an LP of it and it's made me feel better about giving up on it tbh. It has some cool ideas, I really like the social network stuff, but I find the protagonist and all the NPCs so devoid of charisma, and the dead fish stares and weird twitchy movements during conversations so off-putting. And I should really dig the setting but it's all so dark and bleh. It just really makes me want a new VtM game.

I realise I'm responding to you saying "I like this game" with "Here are all the reasons this game sucks". It's just the first time I've seen someone mention it recently. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Vampyr is... it's a challenging game

The coolest part of the game is solving people's little mysteries and murdering them if you think they deserve it and watching whole districts fall into ruin as a result

This is not the behavior that the game encourages you to engage in narratively though

The combat sucks and is made better by eating people for their delicious experience points and leveling up your combat skills (or just leveling invisibility, fuck combat), so you can argue that the behavior is encouraged there, but ultimately it feels a bit flat

It also, like many games of its ilk, starts out very open ended and exploratory and is funneling you from setpiece to setpiece by the end, which is deeply disappointing

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    the story mode difficulty option they patched in is absolutely the way to go

One thing that I continue to admire about Vampyr is that it's seriously hard as FUCK if you refuse to feed on citizens

I'm a sucker for a game where "being good" is legitimately much, much more challenging than the alternatives. Where the temptation to compromise your morality is strong, and you're constantly wondering if doing the right thing is worth the hassle

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Have you et many people? I'm curious if it makes much difference. Like do other people comment or do events happen differently if someone gets eaten.

The guy I'm watching play it hasn't eaten anybody.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I think my biggest thing with Vampyr is that I would like it a lot more if it weren't a forty hour game

Some of the cool stuff it does really gets undercut by that

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    The Solitaire Conspiracy did an update that added a new Campaign Plus mode, with fixed puzzles that you have to solve in a certain number of turns, and as far as I can tell, the turn limits are fairly harsh; even when I feel like I'm on a real galaxy brain trip and can see through the matrix, I find I only have 5 or 6 spare moves remaining by the end.

rRwz9.gif
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    One thing that I continue to admire about Vampyr is that it's seriously hard as FUCK if you refuse to feed on citizens

I'm a sucker for a game where "being good" is legitimately much, much more challenging than the alternatives. Where the temptation to compromise your morality is strong, and you're constantly wondering if doing the right thing is worth the hassle

That's what it seems like at first, but there are some seriously busted builds that you don't need a whole lot of blood to make work which kind of devalues the whole thing, but by the end of the game I was fine with that.
    Have you et many people? I'm curious if it makes much difference. Like do other people comment or do events happen differently if someone gets eaten.

The guy I'm watching play it hasn't eaten anybody.

Yes, characters will often change their behavior if another character important to them goes missing. Usually in the form of changing their pathing or location. (iirc some can even outright leave the game? So eating order can be important)

• TefTef Registered User regular
    I definitely won’t be playing cyber punk, but I might watch some let’s play highlights. That’s out soon, right?

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    So for the longest time I didn't understand the hype around spelunky. It just felt like a fairly average platformer with rogue-like mechanics. Until I invested enough hours and time to get to the jungle and folks!

Spelunky is great!

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    So uh, utterly abysmal name but this looks kind of rad: 12 year labour of love source mod turned full game

https://youtu.be/nVx7mSsQoW4

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    darunia106 wrote: »
    So for the longest time I didn't understand the hype around spelunky. It just felt like a fairly average platformer with rogue-like mechanics. Until I invested enough hours and time to get to the jungle and folks!

Spelunky is great!

It's definitely a game that gets better the more you play it.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    So uh, utterly abysmal name but this looks kind of rad: 12 year labour of love source mod turned full game

https://youtu.be/nVx7mSsQoW4

Oof yeah that name's awful but that looks cool as shit aesthetically

BahamutZERO.gif
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I noticed one of the banner ads on Epic atm is for a Dr. Disrespect skin in Rogue Company? I thought he got shuttled into the sun? Why is he back, How is he back?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I noticed one of the banner ads on Epic atm is for a Dr. Disrespect skin in Rogue Company? I thought he got shuttled into the sun? Why is he back, How is he back?

money

What is everybody's favourite game theme music?

I am pondering this as I've had the Morrowind theme spinning around in my head all day. I've hardly even played Morrowind, but I probably hum the tune to myself at least once most days.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular

Youtube don't give af.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    What is everybody's favourite game theme music?

I am pondering this as I've had the Morrowind theme spinning around in my head all day. I've hardly even played Morrowind, but I probably hum the tune to myself at least once most days.

Katamari

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Cancel culture is a myth.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »

Youtube don't give af.

Youtube has always had that "What are you going to do about it? That's right, nothing. Now keep watching those reacts videos." attitude and this is no exception. Especially if it means they can finally get a slice of that Twitch money.

• UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    i don't know what rogue company is but when i saw that banner i was like, ok i guess i don't ever need to play that game

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

This discussion has been closed.