As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Against Everyone’s Better Judgement The [Movie] Thread is Open

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Wait add in Men in Black and I'm gunna start arguing that Barry Sonnenfeld is in fact the best director of comic adaptations period.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Barry Sonnenfeld is a criminally underrated director.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Speaking of The Addams Family, I just finished watching the 2019 animated version

And folks, you probably didn't need me to tell you this, but it's real bad

There's a few slivers of good writing, but everything is super overplayed, many of the characters run counter to their previous depictions, and the plots (there are two movies worth of plot in these 87 minutes), while theoretically being about the value of being different and not conforming, are all based around the Addams conforming to super traditional sitcom roles and societal rules

Also the animation is super ugly, and while I appreciate the attempt to use the cartoon designs, everything looks so utterly clean and smooth it's distracting

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    it's a shame, oscar isaac playing live action gomez would cause me to pass out

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Someone floated me the idea that Rami Malik could do it, but I posit that he is in fact too creepy for the part.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Who was Morticia in that version? Charlize Theron? God, she'd be great in live action too

Grey Ghost on
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Gomez is the character who fares best in the adaptation, I think, and the best moments of the movie are the underplayed little lines between him and Morticia. They're corny, but they're extremely Addams family in that.

Overall one of the big problems is that when the Addams family works best is when they are interacting with people outside of the family, and the whole crux of this movie is that they haven't done that in 13 years. So you don't get stuff like Gomez and Morticia being involved with various local charity organizations or having neighbors or anything like that, which was what made the show so good. With Gomez they're at least having him try a bit to get to know the townspeople and interact with his new community, but the whole thing is going for a very monstrous seeming Addams family, as the recluses on top of the hill and not just fellow members of suburbia.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I remember being pretty jazzed that they were going with character designs based on the comics.

And then I saw previews for it and all that enthusiasm instantly evaporated.

Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Who was Morticia in that version? Charlize Theron? God, she'd be great in live action too

There is a real difficulty with Morticia (Charlize Theron) and Wednesday (Chloe Grace Moretz) in making the affect work with the animated style. They're both voiced by good actresses, but because those characters are frequently reliant on a very flat delivery, things get kind of weird animated. As in, normally with that delivery you're seeing an actual person giving a flat delivery to ridiculous circumstances, which involves microexpressions as the actress tries to keep a straight face, but without that? It really doesn't work.

Also both characters (especially Morticia) are pretty underwritten, but that's its own thing.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    xvexzr6yd2ve.jpg

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    I read a very good script about Charles Addams dying and ending up in the Addams Family cartoon house and chilling out with them until he figured out how to pass on

it'll never, ever get made, but it was a fun-ass read

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Someone floated me the idea that Rami Malik could do it, but I posit that he is in fact too creepy for the part.

Shave his head and he'd make a hell of a Fester

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    it's a shame, oscar isaac playing live action gomez would cause me to pass out

This is one of those moments that make me realize I'm not entirely straight.
    Or maybe just not dead.

• DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Addams Family has one of my favorite line deliveries of all time. When Gomez is ripping golf balls off his roof and breaks his neighbor's window.

"Keep the ball I have a whole bucket full!"

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    I saw a targeted ad for Tenet and it was almost entirely focused on "MOVIES ARE BACK IN THEATRES IN YOUR CITY" and please god no

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    It wouldn't be the same, super smooth, iconic look for Gomez as Raul Julia, but I bet Adam Driver would play an absolutely perfect Gomez if they decided they wanted to do a reboot or whatever.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    It wouldn't be the same, super smooth, iconic look for Gomez as Raul Julia, but I bet Adam Driver would play an absolutely perfect Gomez if they decided they wanted to do a reboot or whatever.

Oscar Issac as Gomez, Adam Driver as Lurch, Gwendolyn Christie as Morticia, fuck uh, Broom Boy as Pugsley I guess?

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Christoph Waltz as Uncle Fester

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Fancast Fester all you want, they're just gonna put Josh Gad there anyway

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I dunno if Christoph Waltz would be my pick for Fester but I would absolutely have Christoph Waltz play the antagonist of an Addams Family movie.

Like, the HOA head who's secretly trying to get them evicted or some kinda crooked blackmarket antiquities dealer who wants to get his hands on like, Fester.

I think Michael Rooker could play a good Fester.

Make Fester completely CG and have him acted by Andy Serkis.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Either wait a few years and Aubrey Plaza as Morticia. Or go back in time somehow and Aubrey Plaza as Wednesday

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    christopher lloyd was already the perfect fester and he would still be the perfect fester

Yeah the thing about trying to come up with the perfect Addams Family cast is it has already been done. I don't think you could ever get a better Addams Family cast than the original Addams Family cast.

We are but fools.

PiptheFair wrote: »
    christopher lloyd was already the perfect fester and he would still be the perfect fester

I honestly think you could be right, but the dude's 81 and has earned a break. We don't always need Goku.

Ugh

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

fuckin', either him or Matt Lucas

either way we lose

Juggernut wrote: »
    Yeah the thing about trying to come up with the perfect Addams Family cast is it has already been done. I don't think you could ever get a better Addams Family cast than the original Addams Family cast.

We are but fools.

rami malek isn't raul julia, this is true, but I bet he could put in the work

• GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I dunno if Christoph Waltz would be my pick for Fester but I would absolutely have Christoph Waltz play the antagonist of an Addams Family movie.

Like, the HOA head who's secretly trying to get them evicted or some kinda crooked blackmarket antiquities dealer who wants to get his hands on like, Fester.

Tom Hanks as that HOA guy, and it's just his character from The 'Burbs 30 years later.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Jason Mantzoukas as Cousin Itt.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

Ok this is perfect

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    I liked Nick Kroll's work as Fester in the animated movie, but I'm not sure he would work live action

Jedoc wrote: »

ok but what about the casting?

If you want to go closer to the comics silhouette of Gomez I'd be really interested in seeing Harvey Guillen give it a shot in a couple of years

(I also vastly prefer younger Wednesday and Puggsley, so a lot of my choices are going to skew younger as a reflection of that)

Can I pick Taika Waititi to write and direct? Or too goofy?

Oh Harvey Guillen as Gomez is really good

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    gomez and morticia are in an open marriage
    wednesday is antifa
    pugsley just wants to play minecraft

the addams family, 2023

• LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Christoph Waltz as Uncle Fester

Is this because of Zero Theorem?

Zero%20Theorem.jpg

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Can I pick Taika Waititi to write and direct? Or too goofy?

If we're doing remakes of classic movies, I've already got dibs on him to direct Clue and play Wadsworth.

GDdCWMm.jpg
This discussion has been closed.