As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Wars Squadrons] Free on Game Pass!

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    There's also not that much to do right now.

I’m still happy doing a couple dogfights a night, but yeah ranked being broken isn’t helping to keep me engaged.

• OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Yeah, ranked is kind of fudged, there are some fleet battle mechanics that are just kind of silly, and dogfights are subject to some really bad snowballing at times.

But also the game hasn't been out all that long. So it's whatever.

• Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I wonder if part of the drop-off in players is also related to some of the major bugs still hanging around, like the frame-rate and pitch/roll input issues. I know for this sample size of one, I've basically shelved the game until those two items are addressed.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Yeah, there are still numerous very large bugs affecting me. That's why I haven't been playing as much. Their patching has been sloooooow, for critical issues. 2 weeks for a 90% multiplayer game is really bad for population retention.

It is a shame, because you can't capture lightning in a bottle twice. It would have been nice to have high populations and fully functioning VR/HOTAS at launch. I'd rather they have delayed it for just that reason -- alas. And that's not even talking about balance issues (I see you TIE bomber!) -- they definitely need to fix the technical stuff first, buuut the clock is still ticking with some major balance to do.

Fiatil on
  • hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I was going to say “as an old man with limited play time, ranked doesn’t really affect me” but
    I do want to play co-op missions vs. AI
    And if the game is a ghost town, even with no long-tail monetization planned, eventually the line item for the Azure or AWS bill will attract the attention of someone at EA, and that will likely be that, huh.
    The Worst Timeline giveth, and the Worst Timeline taketh away.

hlprmnky on
    _
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Yeah, ranked is kind of fudged, there are some fleet battle mechanics that are just kind of silly, and dogfights are subject to some really bad snowballing at times.

But also the game hasn't been out all that long. So it's whatever.

Exactly

And despite its issues, I still play this game nearly every night in VR.

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I got this game for 30 bucks, mostly intending to do the story mode. Just did the tutorial mission, and yeah, this seems fun.

Though man, playing Imperials in the year of our lord 2020 feels... a lot less fun than it was back in the days of TIE Fighter.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I've somehow managed to ham-hands my way into fixing the drifting issues on my t16000m. I had to tear the entire thing down and clean the potentiometer with rubbing alcohol. That part was easy, trying to open the thing up to get to that part took 4 hours. The pin that holds the trigger on needed a freaking hammer to get it out, then when you actually do get it out and get the thing open theres a ton of little contact pads for the buttons that fly around and fall off at the slightest touch, and they all need tweezers to re-apply since you can't fit your fingers in there. Eventually I got it all put back together and.. had somehow made it even worse due to not lining it up right. A bunch more hammering and cursing later and it was finally re-assembled the right way and fixed. There's no way the average person is gonna want anything to do with any of that, I know I didn't, and for that reason I really cannot recommend the Thrustmaster T16000m to anyone considering how common this issue is in these sticks. It's a bummer because aside from that one huge design flaw it's an excellent HOTAS.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    never not shitposting

u4eu0gzlnnf1.jpeg

5gsowHm.png
    edited October 2020

Maintenance (and patch/fixes confirmed by Charlamagne) tomorrow

ObiFett on
  • monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    Seems like it is down right now. 30 min and I got into one match of fleet battle vs ai, both enemy cruisers were almost dead. Then about a dozen attempts to join a match that just kept booting me back to the main menu. Oh, and the single player is broken, supposed to shoot down missiles but there are none, just gets stuck at that part. Think I might actually just give up on this until some additional patches/content.

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Dang no fix for the 50% movement issue when roll and pitch are on the same axis.

It does say improved VR performance for SteamVR, I wonder how big of a diff that is.

I haven't been playing much, but got my new headset, just haven't had time to set it up yet. I'll be playing more once I do.

And still no refresh rate fix, darn! The waiting continues.

Dixon wrote: »
    Dang no fix for the 50% movement issue when roll and pitch are on the same axis.

It does say improved VR performance for SteamVR, I wonder how big of a diff that is.

I haven't been playing much, but got my new headset, just haven't had time to set it up yet. I'll be playing more once I do.

From the reddit thread, the 50% movement thing is by design, not a bug. They said they’re taking feedback on it at least.

5gsowHm.png
    It's by design....but you can get around it by having a weird setup and having them bound on different peripherals or axes. That's.....a very weird design decision.

This is going to change how I attack ISDs:

I used to prioritize going under the ISD (since most Imp ships stay above the ISD), taking out the tractor beams, then power, going out the backside of the ISD and flipping back around attacking the shields from behind. That video, however, shows a great attack run path that gives damage on the subsystem starting from really far away.

• SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Syngyne wrote: »

From the reddit thread, the 50% movement thing is by design, not a bug. They said they’re taking feedback on it at least.

They've corrected themselves and acknowledged it as a bug.

Serpent on
  • OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Serpent wrote: »
    Syngyne wrote: »

They've corrected themselves and acknowledged it as a bug.

IE, "Oh shit, they really didn't like that answer, huh?"

Three attempts to join a match, three times booted back to the main menu. Game is a totally broken mess. Somehow worked BETTER on launch day than it does now- they are actively making it worse.

monkeykins wrote: »
    Three attempts to join a match, three times booted back to the main menu. Game is a totally broken mess. Somehow worked BETTER on launch day than it does now- they are actively making it worse.

Sorry it hasn't been great for you. Its been awesome for me. Sure there are times I try to join an AI match and I get kicked back to main menu. But it usually works after a couple tries.

Broken mess? eh, its not broken. Just a bit bendy in parts. :razz:

ObiFett wrote: »

Sorry it hasn't been great for you. Its been awesome for me. Sure there are times I try to join an AI match and I get kicked back to main menu. But it usually works after a couple tries.

Broken mess? eh, its not broken. Just a bit bendy in parts. :razz:

My problem is that, with a 3yo and a 2mo, my video game time is pretty much limited to some 30min blocks scattered throughout the day when I take a break from work or after the toddler is in bed. Last two times I tried to play, I spent almost my entire game time just trying to get into a match, quit, and played one round of Call of Duty.

Still dreaming about a VR/HOTAS setup for this though.

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I dont have enough USB ports for both, I had to pick VR or HOTAS and I went with HOTAS.. still crazy immersive.

I really really need a USB hub.

Edit: BTW to the poster who said that they are being kicked from matches as they join them, how long is it taking for the map to load? That was happening to me pretty consistently until I upgraded my ram.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    edited October 2020
    Never gets to map loading. Gives me the search timer, timer either vanishes and it just gives up or something, or goes the the black dual logo screen for about 5 seconds then drops to main menu. Have seen a few posts on the reddit about the same thing happening.

I do have 16GB of RAM, so not sure that is the problem? My GPU is starting to show it's age, and the RAM is slower(?) DDR3 1866.

monkeykins on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I dont have enough USB ports for both, I had to pick VR or HOTAS and I went with HOTAS.. still crazy immersive.
    Easy, just plug in the HOTAS when you want to turn or fire and the VR when you want to look around. Might be easier to have someone else in charge of unplugging/replugging so you can just call out "HOTAS" or "VR." I see no downsides.

• ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Never gets to map loading. Gives me the search timer, timer either vanishes and it just gives up or something, or goes the the black dual logo screen for about 5 seconds then drops to main menu. Have seen a few posts on the reddit about the same thing happening.

I do have 16GB of RAM, so not sure that is the problem? My GPU is starting to show it's age, and the RAM is slower(?) DDR3 1866.

What's your cpu? Also maybe make sure firewall allows for the game?

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
    Easy, just plug in the HOTAS when you want to turn or fire and the VR when you want to look around. Might be easier to have someone else in charge of unplugging/replugging so you can just call out "HOTAS" or "VR." I see no downsides.

Do I get bonus points for making them cosplay as an astromech while doing so?

Resident 8bitdo expert.

No that sounds different. I've actually had that happen a few times as well, but not often.

Resident 8bitdo expert.

No that sounds different. I've actually had that happen a few times as well, but not often.

Happens intermittently for me as well.

5gsowHm.png
  • awsimoawsimo a perfectly cromulent human; definitely not a robot Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    So I started playing on the Xbox One X (I know, I'm a console scrub), flying HOTAS with the Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas One.

I'm running into this weird issue where the regular controller needs to be connected to the Xbox even while the Thrustmaster is plugged in, otherwise the game stops and gives me the "Connect controller and press A" message. This isn't usually a big deal, except that the controller will shut itself down if I don't touch it for a few minutes, and then the game stops until it reconnects. What's more, the game then seems to take the controller as the main input, and I have to unplug/replug the T.Flight to activate it again.

This is a minor inconvenience, but obviously having controls suddenly go completely dead for 10 seconds during a multiplayer match is hardly what you'd call a strategic advantage. Just wondering if any other Xbox players have run into this issue, and found a solution? I suspect there's some option in a sub-sub-menu that I can toggle, but I'm not sure where it might be.

Apologies if this has been covered before, I don't think I saw it in previous pages.

awsimo on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    If you have a micro USB cable you can just leave the controller plugged into the console so it won't auto turn off

edited October 2020
    Anybody wanna get some matches in tonight?

https://youtu.be/HmQq6yLe2ww

Edit: BTW here is my A-Wing Dogfighter build that I've been working on:

http://squadrons.tools/builder?s=MSw4Niw5LDk2LDk4LDExLDI5LDIz

Sometimes I will swap cluster missiles for mines or rockets, depending on the situation.

I also have an alternate I've been testing that's based on stealth and long range (for an A-Wing) plinking:

http://squadrons.tools/builder?s=MSw3NywzLDIzNiwyMzcsMTEsMzEsMjA=

Edit: interesting bit about the Carbanti Targeting Jammer: in addition to it's listed abilities it also prevents enemy auto-targeting cannons from locking on while it is active. Comes in quite handy when you're turn-and-burning back to base after a strike.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    edited October 2020
    I want to tell you guys the story about my first dogfight match. It happened just a few minutes ago. I've gotten pretty good vs the AI in Fleet Battles, but was hesitant to try anything vs human opponents. What if I suck? What if I get put in the scrub tier? Just thinking of entering either of the pvp queues gave me anxiety, I was safe over in AI battles. I figured I'd get good against the AI, and then my skills would translate over into pvp eventually (spoilers, it doesn't). So I decided tonight was the night I was going to try it out. I kept telling myself it was no big deal, but I was super nervous, like the kind of nervousness you get before a math exam that you're not sure you studied enough for. The match starts, and I actually get off to a pretty good lead, I score around 5 kills before I'm taken down for the first time. Here is where I run into the main difference between AI and pvp, the mines. I must have ran into those mines at least 3 times in a row because before I knew it I was 7-4. Not terrible, not great either. From this point on I learned to play a defensive game utilizing my own mines and hit and run tactics, making sure to take loops on my approaches to targets so I could avoid the mines that they'd try to spit out into my face. A message pops up on the screen that we are near victory. We are at 26 kills (30 is the goal) but the dirty imps' were close behind and were gaining on us with 24. Me being the selfish bastard I am was more focused on my K:D, however. I managed to get behind an interceptor and after some serious dogfighting blew it out of the sky. Happy with my score I moved away from the battle, under the station, and began circling while cheering on my team. It was 27 to 25.. and then 28 to 26.. and then 28 to 27.. at that point I knew I had to do something. By the time I got to the top of the station it was 29-28.. as I boosted toward the clump of imperial ships they tied it up 29 apiece. I reached the fray, it was a Y-Wing and myself in an A-Wing vs their entire team. The Y-Wing went wide left and as I saw them try to target it I boosted straight through the swarm at another interceptor that was breaking in front of me. It only had 50% health. It tried to get out of range. I went after it. Two of the other imperial dogs went after me.. i put all my power into the engines and just as the interceptor was about to exit the range of my guns I let off a bust of laser fire that blew his ship to pieces, ending the game right then and there. If I had waited a millisecond later I would have been out of range and the two ships behind me would have taken me out for sure. Someone at the end let out a "Wooohooo!", I think it was the Y-Wing guy. Man I wish I had recorded that.

The two main differences I've noticed from AI battles:

Mines
    The whole countermeasures game is way different, stuff like the missile reverter are risky propositions when the enemy targets you multiple times. VS the AI they will typically break off their attack if they don't get you the first time.

Thank you for reading my livejournal.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    The way you felt before your first Dogfight was exactly how I felt going into my first. You nailed that feeling exactly.

• OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular
    I'm in this weird spot now where easy AI fleet battles are usually way harder than dogfights vs players.

Played with a controller initially, and in dogfights did ok. Not best, but not worst on the team usually. Last week I got a flight stick figuring I could use it in FS2020 as well. All of a sudden I was getting 10-12 kill dogfights regularly. Today I played a few matches and had a 17 kills:3 deaths:4 assist game in an A-wing followed two games latter by an 18:3:5 game in an Interceptor. I'm not sure what how that happened. Yet some how I have way harder times in AI fleet battles. The "player" AIs I have way harder time killing than actual players, and I tend to evaporate whenever I get withing 1000 of any enemy capital ship. Best I can do is maybe one bomb run (dead almost as soon as the bombs are out) or one spawn as Uwing with the big torps/Ion missiles (sometimes live long enough to get all three off) right as we we go on offensive. Then I just focus on the regular AIs and the occasional player AI when they come after me. Killing 40-90 AIs plus a dozen+ player AI keeps team on offensive most of the game is about the most useful I can be, but still not easy to get a win.

Guess I need to figure out how to really fly a bomber.

Ogotai wrote: »
    I'm in this weird spot now where easy AI fleet battles are usually way harder than dogfights vs players.

Played with a controller initially, and in dogfights did ok. Not best, but not worst on the team usually. Last week I got a flight stick figuring I could use it in FS2020 as well. All of a sudden I was getting 10-12 kill dogfights regularly. Today I played a few matches and had a 17 kills:3 deaths:4 assist game in an A-wing followed two games latter by an 18:3:5 game in an Interceptor. I'm not sure what how that happened. Yet some how I have way harder times in AI fleet battles. The "player" AIs I have way harder time killing than actual players, and I tend to evaporate whenever I get withing 1000 of any enemy capital ship. Best I can do is maybe one bomb run (dead almost as soon as the bombs are out) or one spawn as Uwing with the big torps/Ion missiles (sometimes live long enough to get all three off) right as we we go on offensive. Then I just focus on the regular AIs and the occasional player AI when they come after me. Killing 40-90 AIs plus a dozen+ player AI keeps team on offensive most of the game is about the most useful I can be, but still not easy to get a win.

Guess I need to figure out how to really fly a bomber.

I've basically proven through testing that in AI fleet battles, the second you get your fourth kill without dying one of the AI will go super saiyan on you and practically ensure you die. I've had them successfully chase me all the way back to my flagship, while I was on attack, in an attempt to kill me. AI cheats and punishes you immensely if you're doing too well, with almost zero way to counter it.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    My first dogfight match went like this: I connected and my HOTAS wasn't working correctly and I couldn't do anything and I got shot and I tried to quit the match but I misread the menu telling me I had to wait 15 seconds and I kept escaping out of the quit menu and then I got killed a few more times and finally it exited.

All in all, I think I did all right.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    edited October 2020
    If you want to do well all you have to do is form a squadron with other like minded people and actually work together.. it's such a rare occurrence that teamwork alone will propel you past a majority of players out there, even if you don't how to micro-drift or shunt power between systems while doing multiple other tasks like an 8 armed monkey.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    If you want to do well all you have to do is form a squadron with other like minded people and actually work together.. it's such a rare occurrence that teamwork alone will propel you past a majority of players out there, even if you don't how to micro-drift or shunt power between systems while doing multiple other tasks like an 8 armed monkey.

I'm game!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills