As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Star Trek: Lower Decks trailer is out. SPOILERS in effect!

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I reckon they spent more on the 4th episode of Lower Decks than they did on the previous 3 episodes. The animation was truly fantastic in parts.
    The terraforming goo reminded me a lot of the bioweapon from Akira. The whole sequence was ridiculously well animated. Every single frame was so filled with detail. I was not expecting that given the relative simplicity of the character design.

• madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    madparrot wrote: »
    I paid for it way back at launch, long before it went FTP. Does that give me any kind of real advantage?

Welp, I contacted Arc and told them I have a 10 year old account that hasn't been logged into since well before Arc even existed
    Two days of customer service wrangling later, this old girl fires up and leaves spacedock like it was yesterday

nkyz98yj41ss.png

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    after two minutes of panning shots, stirring music, and lens flare?

• madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    no, after two minutes of

You have earned this commendation!

eh, close enough.

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    madparrot wrote: »
    no, after two minutes of

then a further infinity minutes of

xXxSephirothVegita69xXx unlocked a command cruiser

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Watching the first episode of Discovery.

Michael Burnham, I would like you to calm down for a bit.

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I reckon they spent more on the 4th episode of Lower Decks than they did on the previous 3 episodes. The animation was truly fantastic in parts.
    The terraforming goo reminded me a lot of the bioweapon from Akira. The whole sequence was ridiculously well animated. Every single frame was so filled with detail. I was not expecting that given the relative simplicity of the character design.

I noticed the same thing for the final episode.
    The Pakled ships looked fucking fantastic. The color choices for the weapons they were firing as well as the surrounding galaxy scenery during those scenes was both beautiful and scary. And music was pitch perfect.

Dark_Side on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »

I noticed the same thing for the final episode.
    The Pakled ships looked fucking fantastic. The color choices for the weapons they were firing as well as the surrounding galaxy scenery during those scenes was both beautiful and scary. And music was pitch perfect.

yesssss. Love the art in this show! When FINAL EPISODE FINALE SPOILER, OPEN AT OWN RISK!!!!
    the titan arriveds, the brige looked much more modern and sleek, and the whole ship had a bit of that sovereign class sheen..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    OK so the first episode of Discovery S3 was sorta good, I think. The bit at the end was (mostly) understated and all the better for it.

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

I didn't mind this episode but I clocked literally 8 minutes in until Michael started crying again. Can't we get past this?

one thing I found aggravating was:
    The whole episode pinning on OMG DID THE SHIP MAKE IT, we know the ship made it, the ship and crew was in ALL of the trailers for the season and the season trailer attached to the end of the show. There is no gravity or actual sense of danger in that being the plotline, hell it's episodic TV called Star Trek DISCOVERY, even without the trailers we know the ship made it. and the Writers know this, why would you have this be the big plot beat to start off this new season! And if you are going to do that, make it so she finds the ship at the end of the episode
    with that said the ending scene in the station was super cute

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    I can't help but feel that episode would have been better without a twenty-minute fight scene in the middle.

Green also proved she's a much better actor than this show's material generally allows for.

uH3IcEi.png
  • CraigopogoCraigopogo Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Discovery stuff
    Discovery has always suffered from not really being about anything. It's always felt, to me, like it 's floundering, jumping from thing to thing without any kind of throughline. Season 2 was better than 1, but it still had that feeling, despite having a defined plotline. Burnham doesn't feel like she's ever had any development, and I think it's because she never has any kind of goal beyond whatever the plot demands in the moment. She doesn't seem to like or want anything except some big philosophy stuff, which feels very hollow after a while. The writers are very ham fisted with the plucky, good guy Starfleet thing, and often just have characters saying stuff to swelling music that's supposed to be inspirational. It just feel very surface level to me.

Now there's a clear, big time goal. The only problem is that it's from fucking Andromeda. It seems like they created this big opportunity to do whatever they want and immediately squandered it.

Craigopogo on
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »

I didn't mind this episode but I clocked literally 8 minutes in until Michael started crying again. Can't we get past this?
    She's literally coming down from a massive space battle followed by abandoning everyone she knows in order to preserve organic life, just crashed into a planet, and found out that a) she succeeded. and b) she's stranded.
    I think a therapeutic cry is justified.

And to be fair, after that she takes the rest of it (all the dilithium blew up, Federation's gone) fairly well. Didn't mope, went right into okay, so how do we fix this.

Should probably ask, what's the spoiler rules? Give it a week, what?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Hardtarget wrote: »

She's literally coming down from a massive space battle followed by abandoning everyone she knows in order to preserve organic life, just crashed into a planet, and found out that a) she succeeded. and b) she's stranded.
    I think a therapeutic cry is justified.

And to be fair, after that she takes the rest of it (all the dilithium blew up, Federation's gone) fairly well. Didn't mope, went right into okay, so how do we fix this.

Should probably ask, what's the spoiler rules? Give it a week, what?
    sure and then she cried again 20 mins later. Listen, as an actor she is AMAZING, the scene where she is drugged and the emotions she goes through, incredible to watch. But she's a professional starfleet officer, get you shit in check after 2 seasons of this, it's not fun to watch as a viewer

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    edited October 2020
    It's symptomatic, IMO, of the show's tendency to discard or eschew subtlety in favor of spectacle.
    Quiet thoughtful scenes, or tense battles of will? Nah, BIG EMOTIONAL DISPLAYS!
    One on one starship combat, let alone "sub vs. destroyer In Space" stuff like "Balance of Terror" or Wrath of Khan? Nah, FILL THE SCREEN WITH CGI SHIPS AND LASERS! EVERY FIGHT IS "SACRIFICE OF ANGELS!"
    The fate of the Federation, or just one planet? Nope, ALL LIFE EVERYWHERE HANGS IN THE BALANCE - AGAIN!
    It's ridiculous and exhausting.

Thought, after a moment's consideration:
    They've forgotten how to make TV Trek. All they know is movie Trek.
    So we get movie Trek, with all its big-budget excesses and focus on action, cut up into one hour 40-minute chunks, but meant to be binge-watched and thus recombined.

Commander Zoom on
  • evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    There is one bit of spaceship combat I liked. The first ~2 seconds of the big fight at the start of season 1. It's a static wide shot of all the ships lined up against eachother. One ship fires first then it cascades through both fleets. Ships desperately starting to turn away as they get hammered by the opposing fleet.

This is then shat on by the 50,000 quick cuts of shit flying across the screen that comprise the rest of the battle.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• CraigopogoCraigopogo Registered User regular
    The constantly shaking camera is driving me nuts. It's so unnecessary.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Craigopogo wrote: »
    The constantly shaking camera is driving me nuts. It's so unnecessary.

This has been an issue for me since the second Bourne movie, to the point I don’t think I ever finished the third. All it does is distract me from what's going on.

If that's the purpose because your SFX/CGI are shit, then find a better way to hide your flaws.

If your SFX/CGI aren't shit, good job, you've completely pulled me out of an awesome visual moment, and wasted all those man hours and resources.

Either show it, or hide it better. Shakycam is garbage.

• MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    I think Galactica is the only show that's pulled off that sort of handheld camera aesthetic at a reasonable level.

uH3IcEi.png
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Firefly did okay with it.

Shadowen wrote: »
    Firefly did okay with it.

I'm not saying handheld doesn't have it's uses.

A handheld camera doing the equivalent of being thrown in a washing machine during agitation? That's when I get cross.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Monwyn wrote: »
    I think Galactica is the only show that's pulled off that sort of handheld camera aesthetic at a reasonable level.

Evil, on Netflix, is currently doing some very cool camera work but has yet to do any shaky-cam. The directors or showrunner are hugely enamored of looking down on people and their pillows in bed, for whatever reason.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Because I haven't gotten around to watching any of the new trek series, I'll have to find my own fun....

lpbeva3f606a.jpg

sig.gif
  • Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    Discovery S3E1 Impressions:
    - Too much shaky cam! Give us Johnathan Frakes as director!
    - the actress playing Burnham must’ve have a lot of fun acting during the bit in the middle
    - the end was very moving, and the man was doing top notch acting work there

I hope that they blew through the whole SFX budget on this episode, so that we can get a slightly more grounded look and feel, where acting preceeds SFX.

Anyhow, I’m glad it’s back!

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Now I want a mirror universe episode of Lower Decks.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »

I would be very surprised if they don't eventually ring that bell. But the showrunners are too smart to ring it this early in the run.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    edited October 2020
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Krieghund wrote: »

I would be very surprised if they don't eventually ring that bell. But the showrunners are too smart to ring it this early in the run.
    unlike Discovery's, who just...

Commander Zoom on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    In a perfect pie-in-the-sky dream world, I would combine the mirror universe episode with the grand TNG cast reunion. We'd finally get a real look at what their double's would be (outside those comics that exist), and it's the perfect excuse for them to just go nucking futs in the recording booth and have fun.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    There was a decent enough comic that starred the mirror universe TNG characters. Everyone was super jacked and wore sleeveless vests. Data was like, half borg.

zv1gas77fmf1.png

That_Guy on
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    So I'm back playing STO and it's been a surprisingly pleasant experience.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    The Klingon arc they're doing right now has been great, shame it's so slow in unfolding.
    The last mission of it features a Ferengi with a pet dinosaur and a Mugato fetish.

Hevach on
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I'll be honest: I always really enjoy Star Trek Discovery while I'm watching it.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I think I'm just not enough of a Trek fan to hate everything about Discovery.
    I do hate Enterprise though, so I'm still at least a partial fan.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    There was a decent enough comic that starred the mirror universe TNG characters. Everyone was super jacked and wore sleeveless vests. Data was like, half borg.

zv1gas77fmf1.png

The characters and poses were also remarkably well illustrated with only a few exceptions.

t9xwz21zcebu.jpg

Glyph on
    edited October 2020
    Beard, shit eating grin... So Mirror Riker is just regular Riker?

Hevach on
    Hevach wrote: »

*brain click*

No, like Lorca, he's been Mirror Universe Riker from the start. We already saw his Prime Universe version in Second Chances

All makes sense now.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

He plays drums.
    Other than that? Yeah, pretty much the same.

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    You can individually justify the times Michael cries, the problem is the pattern that has her crying all the time.

Coinage on
    edited October 2020
    The best offering I can make on Burnham is that a human brain isn't compatible with a Vulcan upbringing and she's just permanently fucked up. Being half human was treated as a "disability" to overcome in Spock, Saavik only had a partial lid on her emotions, and Simon Tarsis was a human with pointy ears, and all were only part human, where Burnham is full blooded and only raised by Vulcans, and not from birth.

Consider the extent of damage "boys don't cry" has done to human mental health and then consider that she had, "all emotions are mental poison to be aggressively purged," drilled into her for years.

Hevach on
This discussion has been closed.