As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How about [movies] that no longer exist?

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular

Ahhhhhh that sounds so scary!

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I also need to see dark city

Dark city is amazing. One of my favorite movies as a teen and it still holds up imo.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular

Ahhhhhh that sounds so scary!

I enjoyed the movie, had creepy atmosohere, and the scenes of hell out hellraiser to shame. I'm very excited about a director's cut.

And the first hellraiser has some hell raising imagery.

I did a thing.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    I remember Law Abiding Citizen as "We really want you to root for this crazy revenge guy, but at the 11th hour, we had second thoughts."

Also, Soldier isn't a sequel to anything, it just mentions a couple Blade Runner things as an easter egg. But yeah, Halloween 3 was just "What is even going on here?" and while I heard Port of Call... was a decent enough flick, the decision to slap that name on there was utterly confusing to everyone, including the guy who directed the first one. I mean seriously, did Nic Cage even jack off on some teenagers in the so called sequel?!?!

At one point Nic Cage is hard up enough to get high that he stops two young twenty-somethings coming out of a club under false pretenses so that he can search them for drugs to confiscate. He finds a crack pipe in the girl's purse and starts asking "where's the rock?" in a really desperate way, prompting her to dig it out and light up and inhale and then blow the smoke right into his mouth. Which moves into making out and then the two of them fucking against his car in the lot they're in. Nic Cage spends the entire time asking her if her daddy molested her and what would her parents think if they could see her now, going out with no panties on. Her boyfriend tries to sneak off and Cage fires a shot into the air and tells him to stand there and watch while he fucks his girlfriend.

So, uh, yeah. Port of Call is very much in keeping with the original Bad Lieutenant.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    I remember Law Abiding Citizen as "We really want you to root for this crazy revenge guy, but at the 11th hour, we had second thoughts."

Also, Soldier isn't a sequel to anything, it just mentions a couple Blade Runner things as an easter egg. But yeah, Halloween 3 was just "What is even going on here?" and while I heard Port of Call... was a decent enough flick, the decision to slap that name on there was utterly confusing to everyone, including the guy who directed the first one. I mean seriously, did Nic Cage even jack off on some teenagers in the so called sequel?!?!

At one point Nic Cage is hard up enough to get high that he stops two young twenty-somethings coming out of a club under false pretenses so that he can search them for drugs to confiscate. He finds a crack pipe in the girl's purse and starts asking "where's the rock?" in a really desperate way, prompting her to dig it out and light up and inhale and then blow the smoke right into his mouth. Which moves into making out and then the two of them fucking against his car in the lot they're in. Nic Cage spends the entire time asking her if her daddy molested her and what would her parents think if they could see her now, going out with no panties on. Her boyfriend tries to sneak off and Cage fires a shot into the air and tells him to stand there and watch while he fucks his girlfriend.

So, uh, yeah. Port of Call is very much in keeping with the original Bad Lieutenant.

what the fuck

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

what the fuck

...is something you will say more frequently than you might have thought possible if you watch either Bad Lieutenant movie.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Wait...was there a 2019 remake of Jacob's Ladder?

Was it any good? Never heard of it before.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    How has no one mentioned this movie freaky? It looks fucking amazing! I loved happy death day, part 2 was ok, and Dale and tucker vs evil was awesome! Looks like to be in this vein. Fuck covid or id probably have heard about this and be seeing it in theatres. + I totally :3 vince vaughn

https://youtu.be/EHRC4VkiQcI

I'll watch the shit out of that if only for die antwoord soundtrack

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

what the fuck

That's not even the most morally repugnant thing he does in the film!

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    On sitting with it, I think The Man Who Killed Don Quixote is one of the best examples of a movie that communicates what a drug trip is like.

Same director: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Not so much: SLC Punk(which I've heard is an extremely accurate depiction of a bad trip).

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

what the fuck

It's even more amazing on screen. The sex is bizarrely entirely consensual. And the gun he's totting throughout the whole movie is this giant fucking handcannon. And I'm pretty sure the only time he ever actually fires it is in that scene. Into the air. And at the end of the film, he arrests the bad guys in a perfectly legal and lawful manner without killing anyone or any crazy violence. And somewhere in the middle there's a musical interlude while their are doing a stakeout with hallucinatory iguanas only he can see. It is everything you expect from a movie starring Cage and directed by Herzog.

The film is a hoot. I should find my original review of the movie somewhere.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    I think whether or not that scene is consensual is up for debate.

And he only arrests the bad guys in a "perfectly legal and lawful manner" if you consider planting evidence you contrived into existence to be perfectly legal and lawful.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

And he only arrests the bad guys in a "perfectly legal and lawful manner" if you consider planting evidence you contrived into existence to be perfectly legal and lawful.

It's consensual in so much as anything makes sense in that film.

And sure he plants evidence on the guy, but he was guilty of the crime anyway and he brings him in alive and unharmed.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I finally watched Earth Girls Are Easy. As a kid I always saw the VHS cover at the library and assumed it was horny as hell (and I wanted to see it because of this) but never did.

It's pretty god damned horny, but I actually appreciated how weird it was. It's like half musical? For no reason? Neat

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

It's consensual in so much as anything makes sense in that film.

And sure he plants evidence on the guy, but he was guilty of the crime anyway and he brings him in alive and unharmed.

I don't think legal and lawful mean what you think they mean?

• Options
    TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    Criterion spine #1016: Invention for Destruction

Even seeing the other two Karel Zeman films Criterion has released didn't really prepare for the stylistic mastery of this one. Based on the Jules Verne novel Facing the Flag (which I'm unfamiliar with, though the Vernie-ness is unmistakable), this is a 1958 Czechoslovak fantasy film about a scientist kidnapped by pirates in order to develop a technologically advanced weapon. The power of the weapon is given more weight in a post-nuclear era, but it's a fairly light story with stock characters and lots of cool machines and places.

But the focus is how the thing looks. Recalling the illustrations that would accompany printings of Verne's novels in the 19th century, the film is painstakingly crafted to recall a linear lithograph style. Zeman, chiefly an animator, incorporates cut-out and stop-motion animation, stylized sets and matte paintings, filters and camera effects---several in combination with each other, in order to make this monochrome live action film look like an old picture book. And like an old picture book, it evokes a sense of wondrous visual examination in its viewer. Really, the film is quite relaxed, its camera, its characters, its machines, all move about rather slowly, but this feels less like a failure in pacing or storytelling and more of an awareness of its own majesty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0t3pB0D7SQ

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Dude wrote Unforgiven as an original screenplay as well. Now that said, he had something to start with for Blade Runner, but Soldier was also an original screenplay. Also did Blood of Heroes which I remember being....terrible.

This will not stand! We will settle this the only true way. Someone find us 2 dog skulls, and be quick about it.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I finally watched Earth Girls Are Easy. As a kid I always saw the VHS cover at the library and assumed it was horny as hell (and I wanted to see it because of this) but never did.

It's pretty god damned horny, but I actually appreciated how weird it was. It's like half musical? For no reason? Neat

Yeah, back when the non-downtown Julie Brown was doing her thing, it was originally meant as a primary vehicle for her, hence the seemingly random musical numbers in the salon and what not. Then it more or less became a comedic reunion of the leads from Cronenberg's Fly and seemingly half the cast of In Living Color (we're talking way young Damon Waynes and Jim Carrey).

And a minor shout out to Charles Rocket as Dr. Love.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I watched Falling Down last night and it holds up! It's not quite as slow a burn as I remember.

* D-FENS is totally relatable as he bails out of the traffic jam
    * He calls his ex-wife and you wonder why he doesn't say anything
    * But then he beats the shit out of the Korean shopkeeper while being 1990s not racist (AKA being racist as hell by my modern eye) because he doesn't like the price of a soda
    * Then he fights the gangers--fine, whatever
    * Then calls his ex-wife again and we see she's got a restraining order on him

And the screws keep tightening.

Damn good movie.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Dark City is great

Highly recommend

I’m not a huge fan, but it’s at least nice to look at

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I'm with you on that one. The aesthetic of the film is great, but I don't think it does a particularly good job with its ideas, and it definitely fails them in the big showdown. It's a neat cult movie, but I think it's one that tends to fare somewhat better in the audience's imagination afterwards.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    The biggest crime of Dark City is that the opening scroll spoils the whole movie, presumably because the producers were worried that people wouldn't get what's going on.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    I'm with you on that one. The aesthetic of the film is great, but I don't think it does a particularly good job with its ideas, and it definitely fails them in the big showdown. It's a neat cult movie, but I think it's one that tends to fare somewhat better in the audience's imagination afterwards.

Proyas is definitely from the “twists = storytelling” school that Shyamalan went to, and studied under the same Gnosticism professors everyone making sci-fi in the 90s did.

It’s an attractive film, and that’s about it really

• Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    The biggest crime of Dark City is that the opening scroll spoils the whole movie, presumably because the producers were worried that people wouldn't get what's going on.

Yeah. I got the edition which removed that and some other parts that were just hamfisted exposition dumps.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    The directors cut removed most of the voiceover iirc

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

what the fuck

It's even more amazing on screen. The sex is bizarrely entirely consensual. And the gun he's totting throughout the whole movie is this giant fucking handcannon. And I'm pretty sure the only time he ever actually fires it is in that scene. Into the air. And at the end of the film, he arrests the bad guys in a perfectly legal and lawful manner without killing anyone or any crazy violence. And somewhere in the middle there's a musical interlude while their are doing a stakeout with hallucinatory iguanas only he can see. It is everything you expect from a movie starring Cage and directed by Herzog.

The film is a hoot. I should find my original review of the movie somewhere.

Should also be noted his character has a bad back so he’s shuffling around the whole movie like Lurch

• Options
    The directors cut removed most of the voiceover iirc

And has reinserted scenes where characters give you some of that information in a more organic way.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I saw Event Horizon when I was ~10-11 after my older brother rented it out to watch with some friends

honestly I don't remember finding it scary at all, I think it was too over-the-top (with gore etc.) to be frightening

was fun though

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Would you pay $100 to watch Fury Road again on the big screen?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/17/business/amc-rental-99-trnd/index.html

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    I saw Event Horizon when I was ~10-11 after my older brother rented it out to watch with some friends

honestly I don't remember finding it scary at all, I think it was too over-the-top (with gore etc.) to be frightening

was fun though

At the time as a 17 year old it scared the shit out of me. Rewatching it recently its pretty cheesy.

Rewatched the Fright Night(2011) remake last night with friends. We all agreed it's a lot of fun! Colin Farrell and David Tennent are really having the times of their lives fucking around in this film and its great. It's kind of a shame 3d didn't stick around in some ways, I feel like that movie capitalized on it really well with a chase that is obviously a lot of CG but is done in 1 take. Of course theres dumb 'stuff flying at the screen' gags too.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Maybe it's time for an Event Horizon remake with fancy CGI.

*thinks of 2011's The Thing prequel*

Or maybe not.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

Or maybe not.

If they're ever going to do a remake, they should have the first hour of standard body horror, blood guts and all the standard demons and just near the end another ship warps in beside them and boards the Event Horizon with a full compliment of Astartes Space Marines that proceed to beat the living shit out of the demons.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Dark City was pretty fantastic, and showed us what Akira could look like on the big screen you know, the psychic battle - not the all white actors part, but yeah also that.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    The actual plot of Dark City is pretty meh but the aesthetic is fucking awesome. Director's cut is definitely the superior version.

If there were to be a new Event Horizon movie, I'd much rather a divergent sequel. Give me an action movie Event Horizon 2: Eventer Horizons with prototype space marines fighting demons in We Can't Legally Call It The Warp, ala Aliens vs. Alien.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    DanHibiki wrote: »

Or maybe not.

If they're ever going to do a remake, they should have the first hour of standard body horror, blood guts and all the standard demons and just near the end another ship warps in beside them and boards the Event Horizon with a full compliment of Astartes Space Marines that proceed to beat the living shit out of the demons.

Makes me think of the only good way to make a DOOM movie, which would be centered around a high-ranking demon desperately trying to fight back against Doomguy while he bloodily dismembers the entire army over several days.

Final scene is the commander alone in a room full of flickering lights and monitors, trying to find out if the last-ditch effort finally succeeded. A green armored fist smashes through the door, pries it open with a screech, and in steps Doomguy past a gore-encrusted hallway dripping with various things, loading two fresh shells into his shotgun. A light dies and casts a highlight on the grin behind the mask.

CUT TO CREDITS AND METAL.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Or maybe not.

As a reminder, they actually had a whole bunch of awesome looking practical effects!

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Dark City remains one of my favorite films, also because it was the first R-rated film I ever saw alone, and at 16, since some random stranger was kind enough to buy me the ticket.
    I'll always remember he asked "Which one?", as if judging me based on the answer. Then when I said "Dark City", he hesitated, and went "okay".
    (And of course one of the very first things my then-innocent mind saw was the graphic murder scene.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Or maybe not.

As a reminder, they actually had a whole bunch of awesome looking practical effects!

Yes, they planned to use practical effects and puppets but the execs axed almost all of it in favor of CGI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBzpT7VmSaU

emnmnme on
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Yes, they planned to use practical effects and puppets but the execs axed almost all of it in favor of CGI.

[snip]

A lot is made of execs being clueless, but: how could anyone watch that work, and say, "we should paint over all those shots with quicky CGI," y'know? Insanity.

• Options
    Gremlins 2 is as great as it ever was, and I picked up on something new this time, somehow: the screenwriter is one of the guys in the control room being finicky over the rules. :lol:

And my favorite "boy is this New York" scene:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sR5D7JlO3s

People are more concerned about getting on with their day than the hellish winged creature.

wVEsyIc.png
This discussion has been closed.