As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Against Everyone’s Better Judgement The [Movie] Thread is Open

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Oh, shit, that's good.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Fancast Fester all you want, they're just gonna put Josh Gad there anyway

Don't you put that evil on me, Pooro!

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    my morticia pick is elizabeth debicki

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Elizabeth Debicki is very good, and also tall

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I watched Evil Dead 2 again today.

And then I watched it again immediately afterwards with the audio commentary, because why wouldn't I?

I love this movie so much, and the only thing I love more is hearing Bruce Campbell, Sam Raimi, Scott Speilman, and Craig Nicotero make fun of it and each other.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    The Evil Dead film commentaries really are something special.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    One Cut of the Dead RULES

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    So far Green Room is very good and very green.

Blue Ruin was also very blue.

Sensing a pattern here.

• Options
    Oh uh...

Ok I knew what Green Room was gonna be more or less but uh, wow alrighty

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Oh uh...

Ok I knew what Green Room was gonna be more or less but uh, wow alrighty

Lemme give you a hand

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
  • Options
    Holy shit that movie is gonna stick with me for a while.

• Options
    One Cut of the Dead
    I don't think I've ever seen a non heist movie capture the exact sensation of a perfect heist movie quite like this. Frankly it I'm still jazzed as hell hours later.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    wait did you just see it for the first time @gustav ???

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    First time baby

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I think about and/or reference the horse vs. motorcycle chase in True Lies at least once a month

See, I'm thinking about the dinner scene and Arnold's death stare.
    Ktd5XiS.gif

In a similar vein, I always giggle thinking about this:
    t39aht0ik7va.gif

"It's pathetic!"

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular

I had told a friend of mine that I was gonna see it and he asked me to text him how it was

I texted him “FUCK”

he was like “uh, okay, I’m about to walk into the theatre”

two hours later he texts me “FUCK”

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    If you asked me in March to name my favorite film of the year, I would have said Invisible Man. In a year that's had a lot of competition, albeit in a lot of strange places that you have to look, it still wasn't until mid-October that I could really firmly say that's changed. But that's changed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiMPCevu8Wk

Kajillionaire
    • is available to rent now
    • is a comedy about a family of life-long scammers; couple Theresa and Robert (played by Debra Winger and Richard Jenkins respectively), and the daughter (Old Dolio, played by Evan Rachel Wood) that comes to terms with the realization that they have always cared (and will always care) more about the next big get than her
    • has the best Evan Rachel Wood performance yet. She plays Old Dolio perfectly; a character that's had her whole childhood robbed of her by her family's desires to steal (combined with her desperation to survive) to the point she missed out on a lot of things Especially being taught how to be her own self, and now must try to discover at the age of 26 who that self is and what (and who) she really wants for it
    • is very smart, very funny, very sweet, very sad, very gay, and very touching. Occasionally all at once!
    • made me cry a lot! The only things I knew about the film going in were "starred Evan Rachel Wood" and "was about scammers", and I really didn't expect any of that to hit home or feel relatable. But then you have a character slowly understand they deserve better than their situation, become aware that they're not valued a lot within their own family, and awkwardly discover their own sexuality, and now here I am sobbing onto my pancakes

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Late to the Addams Family discussion, but had to share this from Twitter which illustrates my favorite part of the movie.

2kqqb3scdga2.png

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Star Wars would never be cool enough for it but a Gomez and Morticia Addams style dark evil Jedi power couple would be just tremendous

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    honestly, their horniness for each other is perfect for a kids movie

it's enough for kids to be "ew gross" and still so much that adults are "jesus, all they do is fuck"

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Star Wars would never be cool enough for it but a Gomez and Morticia Addams style dark evil Jedi power couple would be just tremendous

Being actual Jedi, but everyone, including the council, being too uncomfortable to say anything would be funnier.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Rewatched Walk Hard recently

With the exception of "Let Me Hold You (Little Man)," a song/joke that didn't work at the time and sucks even more today, that flick holds up really well. Nonstop gag after gag pace, great music.

Also I have had "(Have You Heard the News?) Dewey Cox Died" fuuuuriously stuck in my head

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    The other protest song on the soundtrack is a bit more pointed but also like...probably shouldn't be in the movie. You can see what the target was, and they just...mostly wanted to make discriminatory jokes with some cover

• Options
    The Equal Rights song from Popstar hits that target so much better, because that song is about how absurd Conner is, and the jokes are all, "look at all this shit Conner thinks being straight is about"

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    The other protest song on the soundtrack is a bit more pointed but also like...probably shouldn't be in the movie. You can see what the target was, and they just...mostly wanted to make discriminatory jokes with some cover

Yeah, the other one doesn't really work for me, but I at least see what it was going for

The Little Man one just sucks, and lacks even the veneer of plausible deniability

• Options
    I'm trying to remember if this tidbit is in the commentary track, or somewhere else, but during the song, "A Life Without You (Is No Life At All)" there was an extended gag where they showed him cheating on his wife multiple times, just, like, a montage of him sleeping around, and they had to redo the whole sequence because test audiences hated him so much after that that they couldn't enjoy the rest of the movie. Just absolutely furious. I'm also realizing as I'm typing this that my profile picture is from the movie, Walk Hard, and it's making me self-conscious to talk about the movie Walk Hard with a profile picture from the movie Walk Hard

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

it's enough for kids to be "ew gross" and still so much that adults are "jesus, all they do is fuck"

I'm pretty sure Raul Julia needed new pants after shooting the part where he's freeing Morticia from the rack in the library.

"Leather straps! Red-hot pokers?!"

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular

I'm pretty sure Raul Julia needed new pants after shooting the part where he's freeing Morticia from the rack in the library.

"Leather straps! Red-hot pokers?!"

nah, for him that was tuesday

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    If anyone is curious

Into the Spiderverse is still perfect

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Writer's note: They fuckin

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    I'm trying to remember if this tidbit is in the commentary track, or somewhere else, but during the song, "A Life Without You (Is No Life At All)" there was an extended gag where they showed him cheating on his wife multiple times, just, like, a montage of him sleeping around, and they had to redo the whole sequence because test audiences hated him so much after that that they couldn't enjoy the rest of the movie. Just absolutely furious. I'm also realizing as I'm typing this that my profile picture is from the movie, Walk Hard, and it's making me self-conscious to talk about the movie Walk Hard with a profile picture from the movie Walk Hard

this is weirdly the first time ive noticed its not clone high

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    YaYa wrote: »

I had told a friend of mine that I was gonna see it and he asked me to text him how it was

I texted him “FUCK”

he was like “uh, okay, I’m about to walk into the theatre”

two hours later he texts me “FUCK”

In thinking more about it
    I think Blue Ruin is still my favorite of the two films.

But holy fuck, they made a suspenseful fucking movie. The gentle upping of the stakes until the hand scene and you're like, oh shit it's gonna be that kinda movie.
    Patrick Stewart was a chilling villain and it was perfect having him contrasted with the big fucking skinheads. The slow drip of info on why they didn't want to shoot them and were going through the trouble to kill them the way they did. None of it felt wasted.

Man, what a horrible movie. In the best kinda way.

• Options
    i am 50/50 with saulnier

i like blue ruin and green room, but i hated hold the dark and am indifferent to murder party

so i am assuming whatever he does next i will adore

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    I only just until recently learned of the extended edition of Walk Hard, and there's good stuff in there. I thought it would drag a bit but it's weird just how much more of that movie I wanted.

• Options
    watched One Cut of the Dead and I genuinely don't understand why so many of y'all are big on it

• Options
    I remember absolutely nothing about Walk Hard so I will watch it again during work when I should be doing things.

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    i am 50/50 with saulnier

i like blue ruin and green room, but i hated hold the dark and am indifferent to murder party

so i am assuming whatever he does next i will adore

Hold the Dark was mind bogglingly terrible.

• Options
    "I'm cut in half pretty bad"

Ah yes a movie made exactly for me

• Options
    watched One Cut of the Dead and I genuinely don't understand why so many of y'all are big on it

because it's a movie equivalent of
    the masked magician specials

and that rules

6vjsgrerts6r.png

This discussion has been closed.