As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I loved LttP, but I never had an N64, since I was firmly in Sega's camp... so while everyone was playing OoT, I was hooked on Lunar and Dragon Force, which pretty much set my RPG preferences in stone for the next decade or two.

Along with wanting a SNES FF Collection (with V) on the Switch, I also really want the Lunar games. Make it happen Nintendo/Sega/whomever.

GameArts allowed a Grandia collection so it's not outside the realm of possibility. The question is will you get the versions you want? Silver Star Story has been remade half a dozen times, and I think only the PSP release was alright after the PSX version. Our luck we'd get the shit GBA version.

Saturn versions with mpeg expansion cart, except English.

Actually the mobile version of Lunar 1 is decent, PSX graphics/gameplay with PSP music, high resolution fonts and high quality FMV. Never happened for 2 though.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I loved LttP, but I never had an N64, since I was firmly in Sega's camp... so while everyone was playing OoT, I was hooked on Lunar and Dragon Force, which pretty much set my RPG preferences in stone for the next decade or two.

Along with wanting a SNES FF Collection (with V) on the Switch, I also really want the Lunar games. Make it happen Nintendo/Sega/whomever.

Working Designs no longer exists, so they'd have to be brand new translations.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

There have been translations since WD. The PSP version was done by XSEED and they're still around.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular

GameArts allowed a Grandia collection so it's not outside the realm of possibility. The question is will you get the versions you want? Silver Star Story has been remade half a dozen times, and I think only the PSP release was alright after the PSX version. Our luck we'd get the shit GBA version.
    It would make the most sense to do psx versions in parallel to the sega cd ones. Those come close to each other at least and could follow what a lot of collections do with having an original and upgraded version.

Just uhh, don’t give us Dragon song. Imo grandia 1 was closer to a third lunar than dragon song.

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular

The bold makes me sad every time I think of it.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

There have been translations since WD. The PSP version was done by XSEED and they're still around.

This is true, but I personally didn't care for the PSP translation.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I've always been curious how Lunar would go down with today's audience. That game may as well be "RPG Tropes: The game". Except at the time, they weren't tropes. For instance, the main villain is supposed to be a major surprise. But anybody playing today with even a passing interest in RPG's will take one look at the character in question and say "...Well they're obviously the bad guy".

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I still have the music from the Lunar games in my playlists. Both variations of the original 32x and the remakes. So good!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Also, I just beat Luigi's Mansion 3 last night and that game turned out to be pretty goddamn good! Some of the enviroments are really cool artistically and aesthetically.

Just about every boss fight past this guy (I make an exception with the floor 14 one) was really great as well.

And though I have been playing a bit less lately got a first in the ongoing Special Battle in Super Mario Bros 35 today too.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
    I've always been curious how Lunar would go down with today's audience. That game may as well be "RPG Tropes: The game". Except at the time, they weren't tropes. For instance, the main villain is supposed to be a major surprise. But anybody playing today with even a passing interest in RPG's will take one look at the character in question and say "...Well they're obviously the bad guy".

Well also the Legendary VA work for him likely wouldn’t help hide it either.

Both the segacd Lunar games have the most influence on what I love most about rpgs. That will never ever change. I guess it’s why I can put up a it’s so much of the stuff the tales games do

But in all honesty if working designs hadn’t put so much heart and soul into doing them justice in the west they would have likely not been memorable at all. Love or hate their comedy style, but no other Japanese game got even a smidgen of that much work done in localizing them. That level of effort was unheard of at the time when at this point we take it for granted.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Hmm, looks like Amazon has Animal Crossing switches in stock. I've already confirmed with Amazon customer service that my two week old and now bricked Switch does qualify for return/replacement but they couldn't send a replacement until December 17th, so I think I'll probably just return my dead one and get an Animal Crossing one instead.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Two weeks old and bricked? Clearly the factory was low on Nintendium that day.

I somehow managed to boot my broken Switch into maintenance mode. And then I turned it off. And now I can't do it again.

Well, that's one return that I won't be cancelling, then. Ironic that the Animal Crossing switch heralds the death of my Animal Crossing save. Eh, I hadn't touched it in half a year anyway.

Just started playing Resident Evil Revelations (the first short chapter) and the behind-the-shoulder view, tank controls, and free camera combo all work pretty well together.

My partner (Carlos? Honestly forgot his name already), already seems like kind of an idiot. He got fucked up by a beached thing (not the death stranding kind) when said getting fucked up was rather avoidable. Interesting game so far though and I like the setting.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »

Well also the Legendary VA work for him likely wouldn’t help hide it either.

Both the segacd Lunar games have the most influence on what I love most about rpgs. That will never ever change. I guess it’s why I can put up a it’s so much of the stuff the tales games do

But in all honesty if working designs hadn’t put so much heart and soul into doing them justice in the west they would have likely not been memorable at all. Love or hate their comedy style, but no other Japanese game got even a smidgen of that much work done in localizing them. That level of effort was unheard of at the time when at this point we take it for granted.

I must have been really lucky or really naive, since I never predicted the twist, it genuinely sucker punched me.

Also, I think it's funny that Lunar is probably the only remade-over-and-over-again RPG that keeps having less content in each subsequent version.

wVEsyIc.png
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Two weeks old and bricked? Clearly the factory was low on Nintendium that day.

I thought all the Nintendium was gone.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

God you're right, that twist totally got me back in the day

BahamutZERO.gif
    edited October 2020
    I think the twist got me but I was sus since my friend (who owned the game so I only got to play when I went to his place) I think was hinting at things. There is a slim chance I also saw it in his save file or something. I just don’t remember being completely shocked by it. But I never am completely shocked by jrpg twists yet I still am addicted to them in storytelling.

Kai_San on
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Wonder if we're doing a secret santa this year. I got some Nintendo goodies I wanna share!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »
      Wonder if we're doing a secret santa this year. I got some Nintendo goodies I wanna share!

The CF Secret Santa just fired up, so I'd assume the other ones will shortly. Although this year might be a bit different, because ya' know, 2020.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
      Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
      Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
      Steam ID
      Twitch Page
    • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
      edited October 2020
      TimFiji wrote: »

I actually spoke with Radiation not long ago who does the G&T Secret Santa. Should be a thread going up this week sometime!

edit: sorry, meant to say Radiation. Hypatia used to do it.

anoffday on
      Steam: offday
    • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
      I picked up Ghost of a Tale and it’s a lot more than I expected. Your little mouse troubadour has an inventory menu system that is...more similar to a Dark Souls game than not.

The game world is nearly as lively and vivid as the trailer depicts. Occasionally the camera may clip through some world geometry resulting in your view getting obscured by a scattering of triangles, but not often.

Ghost is very much an adventure game. You start in a dungeon, and unsurprisingly there are locked doors everywhere. It will take some time to figure out how they can be opened. You will hit walls. Some areas are certainly lavish enough in the cramped dungeon quarters that it may br hard to tell where you can go or what’s available. It might be a little more challenging than it should be out the gate.

Definitely like an old school PC adventure game hiding in a modern third-person console title.

• DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
      I picked up Ghost of a Tale and it’s a lot more than I expected. Your little mouse troubadour has an inventory menu system that is...more similar to a Dark Souls game than not.

The game world is nearly as lively and vivid as the trailer depicts. Occasionally the camera may clip through some world geometry resulting in your view getting obscured by a scattering of triangles, but not often.

Ghost is very much an adventure game. You start in a dungeon, and unsurprisingly there are locked doors everywhere. It will take some time to figure out how they can be opened. You will hit walls. Some areas are certainly lavish enough in the cramped dungeon quarters that it may br hard to tell where you can go or what’s available. It might be a little more challenging than it should be out the gate.

Definitely like an old school PC adventure game hiding in a modern third-person console title.

Yeah, I took a chance and agree with all you've said. Perfectly fine enough performance, though fps sensitive folks will complain about that 25fps feel at times. I heard it was a labor of love from one guy or something? Way more to it than I'd expected going in blind.

camo_sig2.png
      This is definitely the most chaotic this game has gotten for me so far.

I managed to boot my Switch into maintenance mode again, and actually reset it this time. Seems to work now! Well, time to cancel my order for the Animal Crossing Switch.

Did I mention at some point that Amazon has Animal Crossing Switches that you can order and they'll just ship to you almost immediately? Because yeah, they do.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
      I picked up Robotics;Notes, another game in the science;adventure;semicolons series.

Also came with some nice pins, but nothing else of note. :( So I dug up the PS3 version to compare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKuQP8ZAjMw

wVEsyIc.png
    • DrezDrez Registered User regular
      I picked up Robotics;Notes, another game in the science;adventure;semicolons series.

Also came with some nice pins, but nothing else of note. :( So I dug up the PS3 version to compare.

I bought Robotics Notes blu-rays a couple of years ago when I went through my anime collecting phase and it's still sitting in my closet, unwatched, next to Steins;Gate and like 30-40 other anime series I also bought and haven't watched.

Should I buy this, having not watched the anime, so it can sit next to my Steins;Gate games in my Nintendo Switch library, also unplayed?

My philosophy is: Why not do something once when you can not do something twice? At least that's my motto.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
      jothki wrote: »
      I managed to boot my Switch into maintenance mode again, and actually reset it this time. Seems to work now! Well, time to cancel my order for the Animal Crossing Switch.

Did I mention at some point that Amazon has Animal Crossing Switches that you can order and they'll just ship to you almost immediately? Because yeah, they do.

Glad you caught it in time.

Let me share a fun story that happened to me years ago. I share this every couple of years, partly as a cautionary tale and partly as a benchmark you can judge against if you every have to lament spending money on a system you lost or broke. Because, don't worry, you can refer to this post and realize there is someone way dumber and/or more wasteful than you could ever hope to be.

Behold, my decent into madness circa 2015 when I lost my Nintendo 3DS while deep into Persona Q. Spoilered for massive:

Drez wrote: »
      Welp. I lost my 3DS last night. This sucks. A lot. I also lost 65+ hours of Persona Q because the Persona Q cart was in the 3DS. Not to mention years of cultivating all the streetpass games and shit.

I guess I need to buy a new 3DS. I guess the question is whether I buy one of the special Persona Q 3DS XLs or wait for the New 3DS XL to come out. Either way, that's $250 down the drain as I need to rebuy Persona Q too.

DaringDirk wrote: »
      Welp. I lost my 3DS last night. This sucks. A lot. I also lost 65+ hours of Persona Q because the Persona Q cart was in the 3DS. Not to mention years of cultivating all the streetpass games and shit.

I guess I need to buy a new 3DS. I guess the question is whether I buy one of the special Persona Q 3DS XLs or wait for the New 3DS XL to come out. Either way, that's $250 down the drain as I need to rebuy Persona Q too.

Did you also lose a Vita a while back, or am I thinking of someone else? Also, godDAMN, dude, that sucks! Makes you REALLY wish you could back your shit up to an online profile, don't it? Letters of outrage to Nintendo and all that shit. Boo.

Yes, I lost a Vita too. :/

Maz- wrote: »

Contact Nintendo, they might be able to restore your stuff.

Definitely not my saves. But I have to run to buy the 3DS anyway.

I am such an asshole.

B9BD8253-1E2C-4B58-937F-880F71E8F106_zpswlhodlhz.jpg

Time to start over.

Nintendo's systems are so ass-backwards. I might have to wait 3-5 days for them to associate my content with my new system.

Sony was able to disassociate my ID with my old (lost) Vita and associate my ID with my new system in about 15 seconds.

Dude stop losing stuff,

I couldn't fucking believe it. I got home and I was like "where the FUCK is my 3DS???" I had it in my breast pocket of my coat. I literally just carry it around for Streetpass. So annoyed.

The Persona Q 3DS looks pretty awesome, I have to say. At least I can stare at it for a week or whatever.

I just realized I have now spent $130 on Persona Q, and that's if you don't count the DLC I bought (Nanako support voice FOREVER) or the $200 goddamned 3DS I just bought.

Oh my fucking God.

Nintendo finally responded that they did the data transfer for me. I haven't teally touched the new 3DS at all and it hasn't left my bedroom.

So just now I start redownloading software, including StreetPass games.

Weird thing is, I have one StreetPass visitor.

I had a sick feeling in my stomach.

Yep, the StreetPass visitor was me. Myself. My prior incarnation from the lost 3DS.

I was pissed. Whoever found my 3DS was waking around, parading as me.

Then I thought about it a little more. StreetPass doesn't have a large range...

So I walked over to where my coat was hanging up and moved a box. Lo and behold, my old 3DS was sitting there.

Jesus Fucking Christ.

And here's a smaller recap I did a year or two ago:
      https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/40062716#Comment_40062716
      I once lost my Nintendo 3DSXL with Persona Q (and an obsessive 80 hours of gameplay on that game) inside. I was really upset. I went out the next day and tracked down one of the special blue Shin Megami Tensei-themed 3DSXLs and a new copy of Persona Q.

Then I went home. I called Nintendo and had them do a system/account license transfer to the new 3DSXL.

After that was done, I started screwing around with the new 3DSXL and noticed I had a streetpass already. It was me. I streetpassed myself.

I'm like "wait, what?"

First thought was: Some fucker found my 3DSXL and is running around playing using my goddamned Mii identity.

Second thought was: Uhh, did I check behind that box yesterday?

My "lost" 3DSXL had fallen out of my jacket, behind the box.

I ended up giving the older 3DSXL to my sister and selling the newer (but open) copy of Persona Q to someone on PA for a discount.

And then a month later the New 3DS came out and I bought that too.

I bought Robotics Notes blu-rays a couple of years ago when I went through my anime collecting phase and it's still sitting in my closet, unwatched, next to Steins;Gate and like 30-40 other anime series I also bought and haven't watched.

Should I buy this, having not watched the anime, so it can sit next to my Steins;Gate games in my Nintendo Switch library, also unplayed?

My philosophy is: Why not do something once when you can not do something twice? At least that's my motto.

If you're asking me if you should buy something only to not play it, my answer is totally no.

wVEsyIc.png
    • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
      Does anyone have an opinion on Moonlighter vs Children of Morta for my next purchase?

Does anyone have an opinion on Moonlighter vs Children of Morta for my next purchase?

Sure, I have both.

I kickstarted Moonlighter and it will always hold a special place in my heart, but it did strike me as though it gets repetitive quickly. I admit I didn't play toooooo deep into it. I liked what I played but I feel like it's something of an evolution of Racettear, but with a less interesting economy but a more developed dungeon delving meta game (or maybe the economy is the meta game, tbh). I like what I played of it, on Steam, and maybe they made it more interesting, but I did get a little stale at the time. Maybe someone who played it on the Switch or to a greater degree than I did can expound better on the current state of the game.

Children of Moria is great. It also started to get a little frustrating, but that was more of a "I'm beating my head against the brick wall of my own lack of skill." But I feel like it has a lot of diversity. That said, the aesthetic is very dark and I found that wearing at times. Also, I feel like there are some more recent games that scratch a similar itch and do so...better. Like Hades.

I'd probably give the overall nod to Moria, but they are both great and have distinct places in my library. I plan on revisiting Moonlighter soon, in fact. Maybe Moria further in the future after I finish Hades. Moonlighter kind of scratches that "vibrant/colorful" action rpg roguelike itch that Moria can't. I sometimes get tired of playing games - as good as they are - that are mired in literal and narrative darkness and Moonlighter is levels brighter than that. I just think Moria is probably a deeper game, all said. And I was disappointed that the merchant aspects of Moonlight felt like a step down from an older game (Racettear).

So, probably Moria is my suggestion, but it depends on what kind of mood you're in. Get both, eventually. :D

Also when I say Children of Moria, that's just me misspelling Children of Mortitiiatitiaia. Sorry about that.

If you're asking me if you should buy something only to not play it, my answer is totally no.

I'm being tongue-in-cheek. A more holistic and honest question would be: Should I just go ahead and watch the anime and skip the game? Or watch the anime and then play it, or does it tread the exact same ground? Or should I skip the anime and get the game and play that instead? What are your thoughts for someone that hasn't experienced it all up to now but thought it looked interesting way back when?

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
      Finished Mario 64 and am now on to Mario Sunshine. I haven't played this game since it first released in 2002. I'm starting to remember why I never touched it again. This is easily the most dickishly designed Mario game. Even Lost Levels (SMB2J) doesn't boil my blood like this fucking game.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
      I remember there was a
      Yoshi

level that my brain couldn't even remotely wrap itself around and I just gave up, back in the Gamecube days.

I assume that spoiler isn't really a spoiler anymore? I dunno. I haven't played Super Mario Sunshine in about 300 years.

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular

I'm being tongue-in-cheek. A more holistic and honest question would be: Should I just go ahead and watch the anime and skip the game? Or watch the anime and then play it, or does it tread the exact same ground? Or should I skip the anime and get the game and play that instead? What are your thoughts for someone that hasn't experienced it all up to now but thought it looked interesting way back when?

Any option has you in for a pretty mediocre time.

ztrEPtD.gif

The anime is squarely okay, not nearly as gripping as Steins;Gate, but it has some fun characters. It's way more slice-of-life.

The VN has a lot of style going for it, and presents the story in a way more interesting manner, so definitely go for the game.

wVEsyIc.png
    • Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
      Rehab wrote: »
      Just started playing Resident Evil Revelations (the first short chapter) and the behind-the-shoulder view, tank controls, and free camera combo all work pretty well together.

My partner (Carlos? Honestly forgot his name already), already seems like kind of an idiot. He got fucked up by a beached thing (not the death stranding kind) when said getting fucked up was rather avoidable. Interesting game so far though and I like the setting.

I'm not trying to give a spoiler, but...

In chapter 3, there's a boss battle which is a massive pain in the ass.

Parker is no help at all.

I had this game on Wii U, and gave up at this point. I had completely forgotten about that, until playing again on xbone two days ago, the memory came trickling back

If there is ever a point in your life to scour the internet for help without any shame at all, this is it.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
      Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
    • BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
      Love seeing the vtuber and let’s player videos of Mario 64. A new generation to experience the pain of early 3D games.