As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hades] Supergiant Roguelite. Out now! (Switch/Steam/Epic)

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    My unlock happened immediately - though by the time I was eligible time I had a dozen clears. Maybe double check you have the conditions?

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    That just means that a bunch of Achilles’ stored up dialogue had already fired when you hit the conditions, so there were much better odds you’d get the aspect trigger.

It can happen immediately or it can take forever. There’s nothing you can do other than suicide your way through runs until it fires.

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I can't even give anyone Ambrosia yet, despite having their hearts maxed out. So it seems like I'm just unlucky too.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Just finished my run with the hidden aspect of the Shield. Ended up with an absurd Zeus lightning build.

Load up Casts, stand around and occasionally slow enemies with my Special. Meanwhile, my triple Casts are raining 100% increased sized Lightning Bolts on everything, causing Jolts that continue non-stop for 10 seconds. And my Level 6 Artemis Call wipes out 1/4 of any bosses bar.

EZ run is EZ

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Since we're talking about memorable builds, I'll tell you about the build I used on my first sword clear.

The sword ended up pretty immaterial towards the end. I rolled Athena so naturally I had the reflecting dash. Later I took the reflect on damage due to a lack of better options. Similar reasons for picking the doom on damage from Ares. Then I was offered a dual boon that lets on damage effects go off without taking damage and on a pretty short timer. Then I also got Zeus's lightning bolt on damage boon plus the boon that adds Jolt to enemies hit by lightning. Far more enemies died to being blasted with damage effects just for being near me than from my actual attacks. Enemies next to a barrier I was on the other side of would die before they could navigate around. Anything that did hit me got a second helping of all three damage effects. I was a walking disaster zone and enemies were often dead before I could take a swing at them.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    akjak wrote: »
    I can't even give anyone Ambrosia yet, despite having their hearts maxed out. So it seems like I'm just unlucky too.

If you really want to push things forward you can just start a run and then die as soon as you feel like it. Every return to the house triggers new dialogue.

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I'm fifty-three runs in, and I'm still fully stocked with Ambrosia and without any Companions for support. But I'm sure they're coming soon. I can feel it! The dialogue is slowly getting there!

Anyways, have another screenshot of a recent build. This was my fastest run by a few minutes and a welcome change after a tense and slow Exagryph run that took 42 minutes on the game timer.
    sbdddjk18c8c.jpg
    I had heard that Poseidon's Tidal Dash was powerful and needed to verify that for myself. Getting the Epic-level Greater Reflex basically locked that in as the main strategy to just crash into enemies repeatedly. Getting Breaking Wave and Typhoon's Fury late in the run were just the bonus on top.

Next stop for my runs seems to be Extreme Measures Lv. 3 for 6 Heat. I usually find myself pretty low on health after Bone Hydra, sometimes losing a Death Defiance charge, so hopefully my win streak doesn't drop just from the upgraded Elysium boss. I'm gonna need to get used to it if I'm going to continue climbing that ladder.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I actually assumed that Zeus, Poseidon, and Hades were all the same voice actor, just because of the thematic resonance.

• Options
    KPCKPC Registered User regular
    Had a run earlier with blitz shield and loaded that up with the Ares cast. Got a bunch of additional Ares and Duo boons that made the cast shoot two at 30% less damage each, track enemies, pull them in, and oh, also cast jolting lightning over and over again after the 6-total discs get done meat grinding enemies. If they got hit by the blitz disc they got Posiden pushed and also lightning’d. Final boss did barely 150 damage to me total before succumbing to this ez mode 2-heat run.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Well, that's another won run. Artemis kinda carried this, to be perfectly honest!
    0vwv0c0gydj4.png

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Well, that's another won run. Artemis kinda carried this, to be perfectly honest!
    0vwv0c0gydj4.png

love all your remaining DDs.

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    First run without losing a single death defiance and that was on heat 2. Once everything clicked I finished all my heat 0 weapons then cleared all heat 1 weapons with just 1 failure with the gun.
    nwp3jck4f28v.png

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Welp. I got back to the final boss on my three streak of wins, with an absolutely demolishing bow set and all three Defies up. I basically was entirely confident I was going to win.

And like a proper greek hero, I paid dearly for my hubris as my brain decided that you know what, actually dodging the spin move sounds lame, let's just eat the 40 damage hit five times, and then stay on the beam right as the boss was about to die from Doom. I am kind of annoyed at myself right now!

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I have athenas dash and +3 dashes with sturdy. If I fail to kill hades then I deserve all the mockery.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    HOW DO I WIN WITH THE DAMN SPEAR

ITS THE LAST WEAPON IVE NEVER ESCAPED WITH. NOT ONCE. FUCKIN SPEAR. IRL, YOU'RE MY FAVORITE MELEE WEAPON (takes pointy end goes into the other guy and keeps the other guy at a safe social distancing length!) WHY DO YOU SUCK HERE ;-;

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    1a6qfn313va8.png

I tried the plume and fists combo today.

I had 50+% Dodge at the end and beat the boss with no death defiances on heat 3.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    HOW DO I WIN WITH THE DAMN SPEAR

ITS THE LAST WEAPON IVE NEVER ESCAPED WITH. NOT ONCE. FUCKIN SPEAR. IRL, YOU'RE MY FAVORITE MELEE WEAPON (takes pointy end goes into the other guy and keeps the other guy at a safe social distancing length!) WHY DO YOU SUCK HERE ;-;

I love the spear. I never use the spin attack, and I like to get deflect on the attack (yay witch baseball). Spam it on something and it gets stunned and can't even attack you. The special is situational for me, just give the attack all the hammer and boons. Last run I had it with 40% additional range and like 70% more damage.

akjak on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I've only cleared the game with the spear once and that was only because I had a ridiculous cast. The spear sucks.

• Options
    The Spear with the explosive upgraded special attack is bonkers strong. Just sit back and hurl explosive death with the Boon upgrade of your choice.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Welp. I got back to the final boss on my three streak of wins, with an absolutely demolishing bow set and all three Defies up. I basically was entirely confident I was going to win.

And like a proper greek hero, I paid dearly for my hubris as my brain decided that you know what, actually dodging the spin move sounds lame, let's just eat the 40 damage hit five times, and then stay on the beam right as the boss was about to die from Doom. I am kind of annoyed at myself right now!

I am playing on low / no heat to mop up some cheevos and it’s impressive that hades can still absolutely wreck my shit if I don’t take him seriously

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    That's a different style of cast build. My only issue with it is every time I've used the Achilles rush it's resulted in me face-planting into a lot of attacks, but I can see how it would work with a big cast.

• Options
    Mmm three-stabby reach of doom.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Spear for dummies; stab-stab-stab with boons that pile on effects with every hit. Spear is super fast, so make use of that. About the hold-attack unless you can find a strong upgrade, it locks you in position for a few frames as it charges and that just gets you hurt.

• Options
    Also, regardless of weapon, Demeter is great against bosses. Getting 10 stacks on them makes the fight way easier.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    Spear for dummies; stab-stab-stab with boons that pile on effects with every hit. Spear is super fast, so make use of that. About the hold-attack unless you can find a strong upgrade, it locks you in position for a few frames as it charges and that just gets you hurt.

Hold attack with the spear is really good if you wind it up in the middle of mobs who are just spawning in and then get the hell out of there.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »

Hold attack with the spear is really good if you wind it up in the middle of mobs who are just spawning in and then get the hell out of there.
    That's a fair point, it reduces difficulty in those cases.
    I have done runs where I was super strong in regular encounters, but couldn't do enough damage in the parts of the game I struggle with. So I need to make sure I actually build towards ways to handle the difficult parts like the final boss and rooms with poison attacks.

• Options
    My first ever clear was with spear. I had lots into the special. I could charge it and had like 3 freaking huge buffs to its damage and it could crit. It was doing things like 300 damage on shot and critting for 400 on return. That’s how I won with it. Could just ranged burst things down.

• Options
    QUESTION: How do i unlock the epilogue?

Like, be vague plz but i'm starting to feel a bit burnt out by the game.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    QUESTION: How do i unlock the epilogue?

Like, be vague plz but i'm starting to feel a bit burnt out by the game.
    Be good friends with Mom and always talk to her. She'll tell you what to do eventually. Always check in at the garden in the House of Hades, just in case, because if Zag says "I should check the garden" and you go into your room instead, that event disappears for that home cycle.

It can't hurt to be good friends with the Olympians.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    The developers also added a minor prophecy related to the epilogue that might give you a nudge in the right direction.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    And now I have a run with my good old friend the Duo that makes Doom tick on enemies with weak, but also snagged 10+ seconds of Weak duration...

And with the Spear that has the extra strong circle attack, I got a buff to it to make it even bigger. My whirl attack covers the whole freaking screen and usually does about 400 on the first hit (I am using the extra damage on first hit from the mirror because I am trying to get a clear with all the mirror abilities I didn't clear with yet)

Only issue is I also had to not take normal Deaths Defiance, just the one per room. Could be rough vs Hades though I feel somewhat confident after I basically speed killed Theseus in about 1 minute flat.

I need to give a shout out to Demeter's Cast ability. Any time I get a good rarity of that and another boon to buff it, it does fucking WORK.

• Options
    The only problem with Demeter's cast (and also Ares, Dionysis, etc) is it just shuts off Boiling Blood (and also its other option). I mean, most of my clears involve the beam of doom, but it feels bad to leave a whole mirror perk just... Off.

• Options
    That run I ended up failing.

One with shield and a crappy charged special as my first wasted hammer, I end up escaping entirely because of the lightning rod duo. Just let those do work as I shielded hits and used Hermès dash to run away the whole time. That was certainly a thing.

• Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    Damn team I have about 60 attempts and haven’t even got past Cerberus yet. Having a blast and feeling stronger every go, but reading this thread makes me wonder where I’m going wrong.

Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I need to get back into practice. I am now dying in the temple of Styx a bunch, where I used to get to the final boss.

• Options
    KPCKPC Registered User regular
    Damn team I have about 60 attempts and haven’t even got past Cerberus yet. Having a blast and feeling stronger every go, but reading this thread makes me wonder where I’m going wrong.

Depends on what your play style is like. Generally you’re rewarded for dashing all the time to move as opposed to running. Duo boons are generally what changes/augments your run, so focus in the first two worlds on getting a boon from every god in each of your attacks (normal, special, cast, dash, & call) to maximize possible combinations. Once you learn which duos work best with how you want to play you can focus on those gods by using their trinkets. Learning enemy types and their strengths and weaknesses is good, too.

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    I bought this a few weeks ago on Switch. I've been reading about it here, so I'm excited to start even though none of the other SuperGiant games clicked with me.

(Was thinking of playing in the godmode since I have been a bit short on time lately)

• Options
    SuperGiant games never clicked with me either. This one did HARD. If that helps

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I've always enjoyed the style and personality of Supergiant games, but the games themselves were a bit hit and miss for me. Hades still has the personality and the style, but the gameplay is polished to hell and back and the various systems work brilliantly with one another.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods