As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It’s the time of year for [Spooks] and pumpkin spice lattes

2»

• tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    I should really just bite the bullet and watch The VVitch and Midsommar.

Midsommar is legit good. Bizarre as all fuck, not sure I'd call it scary really, but a good watch.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Watched a p.good spooky on Netflix; Apostle. Directed by Gareth Evans, the Raid guy! In ye olde times, a handsome tortured soul type guy is trying to rescue his sister from a cult, led by Michael Sheen of all folks. It's got an odd pace but delivers on the creepy vibes, and some REAL BAD STUFF happens.

Oh brilliant
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Watching the House on Haunted Hill remake tonight and you can see the exact moment the movie ran out of money and had to wrap it up with a cheap shitty CGI monster.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Finally watched Midsommar, it’s a fascinating movie but not nearly as scary as Hereditary. Also everybody in the movie is a fucking idiot and I didn’t really root for anybody other than Dani (sort of).

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »
    Watching the House on Haunted Hill remake tonight and you can see the exact moment the movie ran out of money and had to wrap it up with a cheap shitty CGI monster.

I remember that movie being pretty trippy.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Watched that 2hr promo piece that the NY Ghostbusters put out back in 1985 or whatever.

Still holds up. Got a few dated issues but overall just a quick fun ride.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I love horror movies but I think I have the same problem as Louise Belcher: nothing scares me. I've watched dozens of horror movies, including many that people described as super scary (e.g. It Follows, Hereditary, Session 9, etc) but I'm always aware that I'm just watching a film, I'm always analyzing the technique, so I never get scared. Still waiting for the movie that's going to really freak me out. So far this October I've watched:

It Comes at Night
    The Blackcoat's Daughter
    The Endless
    Session 9
    Green Room
    The Invitation
    Fright Night
    Re-Animator
    We Are Still Here
    The Vampire Lovers
    Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama

My favorites out of these have been The Endless and Re-Animator. Neither is particularly scary, but Re-Animator is delightfully gory.

For games, our DM is planning a spooky one-off session that I'm excited for. He mentioned steampunk and a sanity system, so I think it might be Call of Cthulhu? For video games, Inmost looks like a haunted Gameboy game, I think I'll give that a spin.

I'm the same way I think. I watched A Nightmare on Elm Street 1-4 in one night on VHS when I was like 9 or 10 and I think that just numbed me to the concept (yay having a friend who had a mom that got tired of calling and telling the rental place two blocks away to let her son rent any movie because she sent him there to pick it up).

I think I am pretty good at knowing what will freak my friends/family out though. For example my roommate's 17 year old daughter wants to watch horror movies and she's watched a few dozen at this point. I finally convinced her to watch The Babadook recently and she's tried twice but couldn't get through it.

The Dream Master was the best Nightmare on Elm Street.

• Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Havelock's List of Cosmic Horror and Lovecraft Inspired Goodness

Color Out of Space
    Re-Animator
    From Beyond
    The Thing (original and prequel)
    Prince of Darkness
    In the Mouth of Madness
    Void
    The Endless
    Underwater
    The Keep
    Final Prayer
    Event Horizon
    Yellow Brick Road
    Jug Face
    Black Mountain Side

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    I saw Event Horizon in the theater with my parents. We thought it was just a scifi flick.

Oooofff.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    The BPRD comic finished early this year. 'tis creepy.
    w9rfd76dbwf4.jpg
    hvgahtyv0rw3.jpg

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Watched a couple of old British horror movies over the weekend. The Plague Of Zombies was rather good, and The Blood Beast terror was very bad, aside from the comforting presence of Peter Cushing and a very young Roy Hudd as surely one of the first in a long line of coroners with questionable hygiene and a propensity to eat their lunch in the morgue.

A lovely detail from the making of The Vampire Lovers, another Hammer film.
    While filming the scene in which Carmilla attacks Madame Perrodot, Ingrid Pitt's fangs kept falling out of her mouth and dropping into Kate O'Mara's cleavage, prompting gales of uncontrollable laughter from both actresses. Finally, Pitt grabbed some chewing gum from the mouth of one of the crew members and used it to secure her fangs.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Bahaha

Also, ewwwwww

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Los Espookys on HBO is not scary but it’s a truly delightful comedy about a bunch of misfits running a horror for hire outfit

A mysterious woman contacts them and asks them to run an inheritance scheme where the last person who “survives” a night in a spooky mansion inherits the money

And they’re like “oh, so a standard inheritance scare”

I watched The Vampire Lovers last night, and while it's not a classic it's quite fun. It's also reasonably saucy and, following the artistic ethos of Garth Marenghi, the concept of subtext is entirely discarded in favour of making the lesbian angle very much text.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    kill it with fire, it's the only way to be sure

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I know that Alien: Isolation was already mentioned, but: Alien: Isolation. IT'S SO GOOD. And by good, I mean terrifying. Let me put it like this: I've beaten the game on the hardest difficulty setting (even the super-hard version that doesn't even have an achievement), I've gotten every achievement including the "beat the game without dying" achievement, and there is still one particular spot in the game where I stop and go "Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope."

For a completely different seasonally appropriate suggestion: The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa, the first book in a YA trilogy called The Blood of Eden. It follows a young woman named Allison Sekemoto in a post-apocalyptic world where vampires run the remaining human cities, and humans mostly exist to be a food supply for the vampires. Outside the cities, mindless vampires that are basically fast zombies roam around by night, and a few brave travelers move around by day. Allison is a scavenger in one of those vampire-controlled cities, whose main goals are to stay alive and to stay as far away from vampires as possible. That doesn't work out for her at all, on either count.

I'll be honest, that trilogy may be a bit of a guilty pleasure for me, but it's my second favorite vampire story of all time behind only Dracula. I feel like it's the kind of thing that Netflix can and should turn into a series.

Speaking of which, Dracula. If you've never read it, read it. And while reading it, I suggest thinking about the context in which it was written - it's a story of cutting edge technology coming face to face with medieval evil.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Watched Halloween 2018 last night.

Had a couple of good moments acknowledging what year they were in, and I bet it was a very good recreation of classic horror which is why I didn't really like it.

Basically all the stuff that the characters have to do to keep the plot moving. Like in the final scenes:
    Why would they not be staying in the safe room with the guns and food? And why would she not have cameras showing her in the inside of the house? Just the usual stuff you have to ignore.

MichaelLC on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Our friend found a pumpkin shaped like a butt and is proud of her work

0cvnyimgm3uk.jpeg

Quid on
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    It’s only half done right?

wbBv3fj.png
    Goumindong wrote: »
    It’s only half done right?

She plans to paint a heart tattoo with her husband’s initials on the other side.

edited October 2020
    Oh man and she’s made a Cousin It costume for her son:

wnaciahm6lrq.jpeg

Quid on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    the blackcoat's daughter, now streaming on netflix, is a pretty upsetting and atmospheric horror movie starring the daughter in madmen (she's real good)

• flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    People are calling 8800 Blue Lick Rd the horror game of the year. It's quite an experience, though sadly it looks like the original "ending" isn't accessible anymore, unless it's cached somewhere.

Edit: Here's a cached version, though it still doesn't contain the bathtub

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Got a bright full moon with a smattering of wispy clouds in front, perfect for halloween

Got a bright full moon with a smattering of wispy clouds in front, perfect for halloween

Read it was the first full Halloween moon in 67 or so years.

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Full moons on Halloween happen every 19 years, but this Halloween it's a full moon visible in every time zone in the US which only happens every 76 years.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Edit: wrong thread. Wheee, halloween!

Tomanta on
    edited November 2020
    What is a good website about haunted places?

Krathoon on
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular

Full moons on Halloween happen every 19 years, but this Halloween it's a full moon visible in every time zone in the US which only happens every 76 years.

Wasn't it also a blue moon as well?

• flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

It's not limited to haunted or even spooky stuff, but Atlas Obscura has a lot of local lore and ghost stories.

y59kydgzuja4.png
    Once in a Blue Moon just happened.

Krathoon wrote: »

Whitehouse.gov

Got 'em

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    People are calling 8800 Blue Lick Rd the horror game of the year. It's quite an experience, though sadly it looks like the original "ending" isn't accessible anymore, unless it's cached somewhere.

Edit: Here's a cached version, though it still doesn't contain the bathtub

Is the horror how indescribably filthy and unorganized the place it?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    Watched Hausu/House with the GiantBomb crew commentary.

That is one interesting film. The production and sound is wild.

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »

Wasn't it also a blue moon as well?

All full moons on Halloween are definitionally a blue moon. A blue moon is the second full moon in a month. Any time that a full moon occurs on the 31st day of the month, it must be a full moon, because the lunar cycle is 29.5 days.

Also, "once in a blue moon" is about once a year!

I ate an engineer