As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[2020 ELECTION] THREAD OF WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FORK

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    If he keeps this shit up once hes out, can he be prosecuted for incitement?

He can be prosecuted for like a billion things if anyone has the will to do so.

Literally his entire immediately family minus one or two of his kids can almost certainly be credibly charged and convicted of malfeasance with nonprofit money in New York. Almost certainly some federal tax evasion charges, as well.

The President of the United States is legally barred from operating a Charity in the State of New York due to fraud. I feel like that doesn't get emphasized enough.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    26.2 million people have early voted already.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Ballot filled out. Drop off tomorrow

• No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Also my parents voted for Trump again because abortion and I'm furious.

• StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    26.2 million people have early voted already.

So that's like... ~20% of the total votes of the previous election. Pretty damn impressive turnout so far. Going by Bidens poll numbers being 10 points ahead, if that translates to votes then just the current early votes should put him up by 2 points come the 3rd, even if the race tightens dramatically by then.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I think a lot of people are afraid of last-minute fuckery so they are making sure to vote ASAP.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    Lots of people are hearing voter suppression and getting out and voting. And I'm here for it

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Des Moines Register endorsed all the Democrats (not a given) running in Iowa, saying that the Republican Party has "no interest in governing."

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Trump campaigning on locking up Whitmer now. A week after the plot to kidnap and execute her was broken up. Cool!

I kind of wish the frame for that wasn't akidnapping attempt, because she's a sitting Governor. In the same way that murder is transmuted to assassination by dint of holding office, kidnapping a Governor is an attempted armed coup d'état.

Its insane the sitting president is calling for imprisoning a state governor after people who support him attempted to literally remove her from power with force. Like what the flipping fuck media? Why are you all "Oh that wacky trump!"

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    Trump campaigning on locking up Whitmer now. A week after the plot to kidnap and execute her was broken up. Cool!

I kind of wish the frame for that wasn't akidnapping attempt, because she's a sitting Governor. In the same way that murder is transmuted to assassination by dint of holding office, kidnapping a Governor is an attempted armed coup d'état.

You're looking for "insurrection", I think, just to use the word in the constitution.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    I mean the other day he said he had someone extra judiciously killed, today he's talking about locking up an elected governor he disagrees with along with his political opposition.

But you know Rudy Guiliani has some dirty op shit, better run 8 stories on that.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Because if they covered the Republican Party accurately, they would have to conclude that they are bad, anti-democratic fascists. And that would be partisan, the worst thing you can be in official Washington because then you won't get invited to the good cocktail parties.

Party popper First time voter alert! Join Actress and Nevada resident Helen Mirren in making your plan to vote early by visiting http://NevadaVotesEarly.com

A queen is inviting you to vote, so please do so!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Because if they covered the Republican Party accurately, they would have to conclude that they are bad, anti-democratic fascists. And that would be partisan, the worst thing you can be in official Washington because then you won't get invited to the good cocktail parties.

A journalist who gets invited to cocktail parties isn't doing their job.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Polaritie wrote: »

Obviously. But they're not journalists, they're courtiers who worship power.

• SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Its insane the sitting president is calling for imprisoning a state governor after people who support him attempted to literally remove her from power with force. Like what the flipping fuck media? Why are you all "Oh that wacky trump!"

I don't think they take him seriously. He's still a zany TV character to a lot of people, including some of his base.

I think Trump's incompetence has given people a bit of a false sense of security - he's failed at implementing a lot of the worst things he tried to do. The courts upheld challenges the travel ban and forced them to neuter it. The wall never got built because he's terrible at being President. He tried to kill ACA dead and replace it with a mystery box, but failed because he's terrible at being President. I'm convinced that the Comey firing was part of an assumption that the FBI would be Trump's personal goons once he was president and he had every intention to order them to "lock her up". He backed off because he's a lazy coward. He had to spend a year fighting off an impeachment because he's terrible at being President. But this is all Trump trying to play within the rules and failing. If he's facing an electoral defeat and criminal charges afterwards, he has good reason to break those rules.

That's totally it, but like he's incredibly dangerous, his legacy is laying the ground work for a smarter version to do all those things effectively.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Smurph wrote: »

I don't think they take him seriously. He's still a zany TV character to a lot of people, including some of his base.

I think Trump's incompetence has given people a bit of a false sense of security - he's failed at implementing a lot of the worst things he tried to do. The courts upheld challenges the travel ban and forced them to neuter it. The wall never got built because he's terrible at being President. He tried to kill ACA dead and replace it with a mystery box, but failed because he's terrible at being President. I'm convinced that the Comey firing was part of an assumption that the FBI would be Trump's personal goons once he was president and he had every intention to order them to "lock her up". He backed off because he's a lazy coward. He had to spend a year fighting off an impeachment because he's terrible at being President. But this is all Trump trying to play within the rules and failing. If he's facing an electoral defeat and criminal charges afterwards, he has good reason to break those rules.

It wasn't even six months between the scandal becoming public and acquittal.

• TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    On The Wall in particular, overall, relationships with Mexico improved, since they are now the #1 trading partner of the US.

I'm not joking. Also, Obrador (current president) agreed to sign whatever trade deal Peña Nieto (former president) and Trump negotiated on the lame duck period. Part of that is Mexico doing the job of disposing of migrant caravans, up to deploying the military:
    Mexico deployed its military along the southern border on Friday to block a migrant caravan.

The caravan consists of thousands of migrants of Honduran origin, trying to travel through Guatemala and Mexico to reach the United States.

"They're not going to cross," Francisco Garduno, the head of the Mexican migration authority, told reporters, adding that the migrants must "respect the immigration law."

The government said that hundreds of military and immigration personnel will be deployed to the border.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

It’s so frustrating because best case scenario for them is that it becomes a states rights issue, in which case the overall amount of abortions will stay the same, it’s just it will even more disproportionately be a procedure available only to the well off who can afford to travel to a blue state.

If they wanted to actually reduce the overall number of abortions the best thing you could do would be to support birth control and sex ed, which are best in blue states

But it’s about making abortion as miserable as possible for those who are poor or with few options. It’s always just about punishment and blame for those hanging on to the most vulnerable and lowest rungs of the social ladder

Prohass on
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

But on the other hand Biden was a little snippy with a reporter asking him a troll question, so who’s to say which is worse?

It is a mystery.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

It's also assassination because I see no way she makes it out of that situation alive if they get ahold of her. Their plans to "put her on trial" are barely a fig leaf.

• Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    Des Moines Register endorsed all the Democrats (not a given) running in Iowa, saying that the Republican Party has "no interest in governing."

I know a good portion of the GOP apparatus is deep into "fake news" territory and all that but that still has to turn some heads. Especially on the local and state level. Trump has really helped to put some tarnish on the GOP brand.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »

It’s so frustrating because best case scenario for them is that it becomes a states rights issue, in which case the overall amount of abortions will stay the same, it’s just it will even more disproportionately be a procedure available only to the well off who can afford to travel to a blue state.

If they wanted to actually reduce the overall number of abortions the best thing you could do would be to support birth control and sex ed, which are best in blue states

But it’s about making abortion as miserable as possible for those who are poor or with few options. It’s always just about punishment and blame for those hanging on to the most vulnerable and lowest rungs of the social ladder

why would it turn into a states right issue and not just be federally banned?

• SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular

Party popper First time voter alert! Join Actress and Nevada resident Helen Mirren in making your plan to vote early by visiting http://NevadaVotesEarly.com

Wait, so she went through the trouble of becoming a US citizen, and decided to move to... Nevada?

Like... on purpose?

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

It's also assassination because I see no way she makes it out of that situation alive if they get ahold of her. Their plans to "put her on trial" are barely a fig leaf.

A star chamber. Or kangaroo court. Mock Trial with J. Reinhold.

Wait, so she went through the trouble of becoming a US citizen, and decided to move to... Nevada?

Like... on purpose?

Warm climate, and vegas has plenty of interesting acts she can go and watch? Makes sense to me.

What's funnier is this probably will end up costing her more in taxes, but the chance to vote Trump out would be worth it.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Run The Jewels just did a socially-distanced performance of their new album on Adult Swim, with Hey, You Should Go Vote interstitials. Actually, I think they literally said "We are fucked if you don't vote," which is...pretty par for the Eric Andre/RTJ course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMSw-E00Csw

• ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    I’m legit worried that putting a Biden sign in my yard would be seen as an invitation for violence. Same for bumper stickers.

I don't worry too much about the violence aspect, being a straight, white, Christian male in the Southeastern part of the United States.

But I'm a teacher. And if someone with power doesn't like my politics, my living in an at-will state could get me canned and blackballed from working in my area without too much effort if people really wanted to be dicks about it.

I don't do signs or bumper stickers. I just vote.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

The plan was to dump her in an unpowered boat in the middle of Lake Michigan.

In October.

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Smurph wrote: »

It wasn't even six months between the scandal becoming public and acquittal.

Not even sure it’s been a year since the scandal broke!

wbBv3fj.png
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Obviously. But they're not journalists, they're courtiers who worship power.

They also just don't take the consequences of what they are talking about that seriously. It's been commented before that the national press often covers politics like sports. And they take it about as seriously as they would take sports.

So, like, you churn out some hot takes and who cares if you end up actually convincing someone of something that you know is bullshit but you are just writing because that's just what the industry does. Or you talk about bill negotiations or confirmation hearings like it's a battle of personalities rather then something that substantially effect people's lives. It's a fucking game to so many of these people.

• JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

The plan was to dump her in an unpowered boat in the middle of Lake Michigan.

In October.

Pretty much this- currently it's mid-October with air temps of mid-50s for highs and mid-30s for lows. Don't know what water temp is right now, but Lake Michigan is pretty big and there's not a lot of traffic that goes out into the middle of the lake. A small unpowered boat could drift for weeks out there.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • MillMill Registered User regular
    Literally the best thing Biden could do for public discourse would be to trust bust the shit out of all the media companies. They are too fucking big and that makes it really easy for moneyed ratfuckers to coordinate and attempt to control the narrative. Get actors like Sinclair, that have been thoroughly compromised by a hostile foreign power out. Push congress to pass something to make sure that idiots can't turn local news outlets into national ones. One of the reasons why we're in this mess is that shithead oligarchs running news companies decided there was no money in covering state and local politics, which is why you're seeing some of the whack jobs get as high as they do. When that shit was properly covered, they'd get blown up in the primary when they slithered out of their backwater shithole. Also do away with the white house press corps, makes those fuckers do proper journalism and instead of being parasitic courtiers that actively harm the nation for their own self interests.

• HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Can you even imagine him fleeing to Russia and being the poor sad sack GRU interrogator who has to debrief that fucker? Keep his attention long enough for meaningful intelligence but filter out the 'HIllary eating baby' brain worms?

Then somehow translating it to coherent Russian?

This has actually been a big problem - international press has big problems translating his nonsense word salad, so he actually sounds less batshit crazy in non-English media.

It was more than just media, other governments translators were having the same issue. Japanese translators were losing their minds early on in Trump's administration. If they translate verbatim, they just look like their translation skills are poor. If they cleaned up what trump is saying, there are major diplomatic and political repercussions. Imagine having to tell your countries leadership and immediate manager "It's not my fault, he is just that incoherent" in a way that the other sides translators don't find out you have just insulted their leader.

If you repeat Trump’s words plainly in English they don’t make sense. He talks in innuendo, in inference, in appeals to common prejudice.

I’ve been hearing Trump is doing better than expected in the Hispanic community. I wonder if hearing him translated into good Spanish makes him sound more reasonable.

He's a (dime store) Caudillo. That appeals to a certain subset of people, because clearly he's talking about those other Latinx folks. You know, our neighbors down the street with the yappy dog that we hate.

Latin is not an actual demographic. Is a bunch of people from very different countries on small communities, that may or may not vote certain way. While most Latin folk on the US are Mexicans for the very obvious reason of sharing a land border, that's not all of them.

I said Latinx, not Latin, which is a demographic group. And there's a reason I used that instead of Hispanic.

As someone married to a Latina (and I use the term specifically) woman, and with children of mixed descent, the absolute worste thing you folks can do is assume a lockstep approach on issues. I know this is hard to imagine with non-whites, but minorities have complex views. Some of it is simple FYIGM, some if it is much more complicated. Immigration issues aren't simple, EXCEPT they should be.... We spend a LOT of money making sure the people that want to make us better aren't allow to.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    That's totally it, but like he's incredibly dangerous, his legacy is laying the ground work for a smarter version to do all those things effectively.

It's probably harder than it sounds. Trump is coasting off of exploiting a psychological edge condition. Anyone more competent than him wouldn't get anywhere near as much of a free ride.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    Six wrote: »
    National Democratic Party is investing a record 50 million in state legislative races. Which might tell you how cheap it is to buy state legislatures for big money.

Who could have thought this was a good idea?

Not sure if sarcastic but for anyone who doesn't know why this would be a good idea, winning a shitton of state legislatures in 2010 is a big part of how the GOP fucked everything so hard

They got into power right as the census results were being put into place so they got to redraw all the lines

The 2010 election is responsible for the lost decade we just had. If I could have my way, the 2020 election would enable the Democratic party to redraw things so they get 10 years of unfettered power, because we have a ton of work to do, that needs to be done over a sustained period of time to hit a critical mass, and backsliding could literally mean death for vast swaths of people.

Texas, Michigan, and Pennsylvania having fair maps would be like 10-15 extra seats for Democrats in the House.

Yeah, look how many seats the democrats got out of VA, once the courts forced them to draw fair maps. Problem is, that only happened because the fuckers couldn't proven that they weren't being fucking racist when they drew the VA maps. Once they figure out how to rig the system without being obviously racist, we're kind of screwed if the current court doesn't get expanded.

I thought the new scotus precedent was that it isn't a racial gerrymander unless you have them literally on tape saying it is. And that it's a okay to gerrymander for political reasons

steam_sig.png
  • EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    +2 in NC. We were out shopping and checked the wait times map which said 0 at a polling station nearby. Pretty great having no line, and the gymnasium that was used was very well spaced out.

• MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

The Gazette, biggest paper in the Cedar Rapids/Iowa City metro area, also endorsed every Democrat as well.

This discussion has been closed.