As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

That is not [bad food] which does eternal lie, and in strange youtubes, even food may die

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "Tab? I can't give ya a tab unless ya order somethin'."

• Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

I have never heard of tab.

Was it a US thing?

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    It’s an old drink from the 70s or 80s, i think it may have been discontinued for awhile before and brought back. It’s not great from what i remember. Taste like weak bubblegum i think?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Being the first diet drink was pretty much all it had going for it.
    (I mean, it had its own particular flavor/mix of artificial flavors, somewhere under the broad 'cola' umbrella, but not one that ever grabbed me.)
    Also, the original recipe was sweetened with saccharine. You know, the stuff that (1) became synonymous with "fake sweetness" and (2) turned out to cause cancer?

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    til saccharine was an actual chemical and not just an archaic word that meant "overly sweet"

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    til saccharine was an actual chemical and not just an archaic word that meant "overly sweet"

It's made from coal and is 300 times sweeter than sucrose!

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Saccharin was produced first in 1879, by Constantin Fahlberg, a chemist working on coal tar derivatives in Ira Remsen's laboratory at Johns Hopkins University. Fahlberg noticed a sweet taste on his hand one evening, and connected this with the compound benzoic sulfimide on which he had been working that day.

It's a solid way to live your life in 1879, experimenting with coal tar derivatives and cleaning your hands with big succulent luxuriant swipes of your tongue

• Options

and today I learned that, oops, we found out it doesn't actually do that in humans (just rats) and it's legal again now!

(proof, I suppose, that in some ways I'm still living in the 70s. :P )

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

it's not a chemical name, just a brand name based on the archaic word

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Saccharin was produced first in 1879, by Constantin Fahlberg, a chemist working on coal tar derivatives in Ira Remsen's laboratory at Johns Hopkins University. Fahlberg noticed a sweet taste on his hand one evening, and connected this with the compound benzoic sulfimide on which he had been working that day.

It's a solid way to live your life in 1879, experimenting with coal tar derivatives and cleaning your hands with big succulent luxuriant swipes of your tongue

This is from the era where doctors would perform autopsies and then, without washing their hands, go deliver babies, so the fact that he cleaned his hands at all was a miracle.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular

Licking your fingers while making something else seems to be a trend.
    Aspartame wrote:
    Aspartame was discovered in 1965 by James M. Schlatter, a chemist working for G.D. Searle & Company. Schlatter had synthesized aspartame as an intermediate step in generating a tetrapeptide of the hormone gastrin, for use in assessing an anti-ulcer drug candidate. He discovered its sweet taste when he licked his finger, which had become contaminated with aspartame, to lift up a piece of paper.

• Options
    Good thing he wasn’t working with elemental sodium!

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »

It's made from coal and is 300 times sweeter than sucrose!

The present beware
    The future beware
    It's coming
    It's coming
    It's coming

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

and today I learned that, oops, we found out it doesn't actually do that in humans (just rats) and it's legal again now!

(proof, I suppose, that in some ways I'm still living in the 70s. :P )

Oh we knew for a while big sugar juat didnt like being outsold. Instead we got nutra sweet which was arguably far far worse

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »

Aspartame wrote:
    Aspartame was discovered in 1965 by James M. Schlatter, a chemist working for G.D. Searle & Company. Schlatter had synthesized aspartame as an intermediate step in generating a tetrapeptide of the hormone gastrin, for use in assessing an anti-ulcer drug candidate. He discovered its sweet taste when he licked his finger, which had become contaminated with aspartame, to lift up a piece of paper.

Chemists routinely used taste as an identifying tool back in the day.

• Options
    And to this day the lead that accumulates upon ones fingertips is exceptionally delicious youd be stupid not to eat it

• Options
    V1m wrote: »

Aspartame wrote:
    ...1965?

• Options
    And today!!1*slurps mercury rubs gums with cadmium blows a rail of arsenic*

• Options

Aspartame wrote:
    ...1965?

That was over 50 years ago

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

Aspartame wrote:

True! That's how Albert Hoffman discovered giant teleporting rainbow-colored spiders.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Isn't that still a thing in the field to determine mineral vs fossil, you lick it and one tastes salty and the other does not?

• Options
    I thought it was “bone is porous so it sticks to your tongue”

• Options
    Stop contaminating samples.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Stop contaminating samples.

I'll contaminate whatever I want, whenever I want, whoever I want!

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Whomever

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Licking fossils is how we get Dinosaur ghosts

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Licking fossils is how we get Dinosaur ghosts

No, killing dinosaurs is how you get dinosaur ghosts.

Licking fossils can just give you a nasty petrified bone splinter in your tongue.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Damn son this thread still alive huh
    fried egg cheeseburger - korean street food 6:08
    https://youtu.be/1TCvpVyXyQg

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Pulled out first crop of home grown beetroots today. One of the healthiest vegetables around. So of course I used them to make chocolate and beetroot cake.

• Options
    You did the right thing

• Options
    I made the best kind of cake

two cakes

4kkrmur3flvg.jpg

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Damn they look good!

• Options
    Tried one. It's pretty tasty, but quite dense. My cakes are always more like puddings. I'm not good at light, delicate cakes. Mary Berry would probably not approve.

• Options
    Tried one. It's pretty tasty, but quite dense. My cakes are always more like puddings. I'm not good at light, delicate cakes. Mary Berry would probably not approve.

I like a chocolate mudcake so dense it has smaller cakes orbiting around it, so that all sounds fine to me!

• Options
    If Mary doesn't want her slice I will gladly have it.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

I assume you're using cake flour and not AP flour? There's a significant difference between the two when it comes to crumb density.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Someone send me a cake

I've spent my birthday cake less so far

This discussion has been closed.