As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bad News Gone Right]: Ow My Balls Edition

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »
    Cats don't bring you dead things as gifts, they bring you dead things because they think you suck at hunting.

Which is funny because I'm the one with opposable thumbs and a can opener.
    Who's the big provider now, kitty?

Yeah but how are you at catching mice, birds, and the occasional frog?

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Its kinda cute how proud and happy a kitty looks while cleaning small animal guts off thier face.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Nitsua wrote: »
    TSR on this very board was really into teledlildonics.. it’s where I first heard the term. Probably was in the VR threads before the Oculus started putting out testing units and such. Crazy times.

Really really into teledildonics.

Would it be more fair/accurate to say teledildonics were into them?

Teledildonics? I'd like some more inside

*edit: I mean insight

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Bad news: Arkansas school district has a $250,000 deficit
    Gone right: They do an analysis, find that by putting in a bunch of solar panels and updating the lights/air systems/etc, they could run a $1.8 million surplus.
    Gone fantastic: They did so, the numbers were right, and the majority of the money saved went into pay raises for teachers

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Gone right: They do an analysis, find that by putting in a bunch of solar panels and updating the lights/air systems/etc, they could run a $1.8 million surplus.
    Gone fantastic: They did so, the numbers were right, and the majority of the money saved went into pay raises for teachers

This is why you always look at TCO.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    What is TCO?

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    furlion wrote: »
    What is TCO?

Total Cost of Ownership.

So like initial purchase plus maintenance, repair, etc.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    What is TCO?

Total Cost of Ownership.

Thanks. I am surprised that the solar panels not only paid for themselves but then made a profit that quickly. Just guessing but: limited hours of operation after which the temperature can be adjusted and electronics turned off, only in use for about 75% of the year (just guessing on that as well), and then I guess economy of scale meant they got them cheaper and it was cheaper to install them.

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    What is TCO?

Total Cost of Ownership.

Thanks. I am surprised that the solar panels not only paid for themselves but then made a profit that quickly. Just guessing but: limited hours of operation after which the temperature can be adjusted and electronics turned off, only in use for about 75% of the year (just guessing on that as well), and then I guess economy of scale meant they got them cheaper and it was cheaper to install them.

I don't think the solar panels have paid for themselves yet. The math probably works out to:
    $$$ pays for solar panels upfront.
    This comes from a bond, with a $/year cost.
    Panels generate $$/year.

The school is paying interest on the bond, but not much, and are earning enough per year to pay it back and have extra, but I doubt they've paid back the bonds already.

(But yes, economy of scale matters. Also, energy efficiency upgrades are going to be doing a lot of work here; an old public building can have laughably inefficient setups.)

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    What is TCO?

Total Cost of Ownership.

That, and if they were overhauling other stuff then efficiency gains are also contributing. There's a healthy amount of sunlight where the usage of a school building is low too, so I assume they get further offsets by selling power back to the grid in the evenings.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Yeah I went in and read the entire article after that. The company that installs them paid the entire upfront cost, and they actually own them. Which is less than ideal in my mind. I guess the school gets a certain amount of the revenue and the company keeps the rest. It wasn't very clear on how the money breaks down. While I am obviously extremely pro solar and renewable, letting private companies take control of land on school property makes me feel uneasy

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Madican wrote: »
    Cats don't bring you dead things as gifts, they bring you dead things because they think you suck at hunting.

I mean, they’re not wrong...

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Yeah I went in and read the entire article after that. The company that installs them paid the entire upfront cost, and they actually own them. Which is less than ideal in my mind. I guess the school gets a certain amount of the revenue and the company keeps the rest. It wasn't very clear on how the money breaks down. While I am obviously extremely pro solar and renewable, letting private companies take control of land on school property makes me feel uneasy

This is a relatively common method for installing solar, from my understanding, and has the benefit of the company themselves swapping in better solar panel tech as it comes available for no additional cost.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020

This is a relatively common method for installing solar, from my understanding, and has the benefit of the company themselves swapping in better solar panel tech as it comes available for no additional cost.

So now they're proving the Sun as a subscription service?

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

So now they're proving the Sun as a subscription service?

Alternatively the Schools are renting surface area that they arent using.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options

Read it again. It said that while having a third company pay the upfront cost is common, these particular panels were paid for via bond, so the school owns them.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular

So checking a map at which states are the worst at introducing renewable power to reduce energy costs seems to be Mississippi->Florida. Which seems odd from a purely objective standpoint given their weather average sunhours.
    Is there a less depressing answer than "They're republicans?"

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Hevach wrote: »
    Yeah actually while we're on the subject you also really need to stop vomiting on the carpet

But we're just going to look the other way on bringing home dead animals, is that it?

Being given gifts makes me feel special

My cats always felt safe around me, which was flattering, but didn't bring me gifts.

So instead of getting dead birds presented to me, I got woken up at 3AM because next to my ear is the safest place to crush mouse bones as you eat.

I woke up in the middle of the night because I had a dream I was burning up in an oven. It was one of my cats curled up around the top of my head like a self heating version of one of those Russian hats.

The other time a cat woke me up in the middle of the night, it was hissing while fighting a rattlesnake a few feet from my head, so I can't complain too much about cat night habits.

• Options

So checking a map at which states are the worst at introducing renewable power to reduce energy costs seems to be Mississippi->Florida. Which seems odd from a purely objective standpoint given their weather average sunhours.

I mean, solar doesn't make a dent in power generation. (Last I checked, it was still below 1% of total power generated.) So, the real question is if those states have decent wind or hydroelectric sites, because those are the only statistically-relevant renewable energy generation technologies.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

I mean, solar doesn't make a dent in power generation. (Last I checked, it was still below 1% of total power generated.) So, the real question is if those states have decent wind or hydroelectric sites, because those are the only statistically-relevant renewable energy generation technologies.

Seeing numbers up around 2% for the US with huge growth year over year. One big thing is that the tech has massively improved with regards to cost efficiency the past few years. That number could easily be much higher if we invested some capital in deploying the new technology.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular

1.8%. And that doesn't count small-scale local generation/consumption.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular

My bet would be on Republicans, but there may be some extra costs due to local climate or conditions (humidity, kudzu, hurricanes all come to mind) making it easier to block as well

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Replace the desks with hamster wheels connected to a generator. Produce even more clean energy!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Solar prices have also dropped like a stone. -75% in the last 12 years.
    It should be on anyones mind right now when thinking about investing in their house. There's a real good chance it is one of the most cost effective things you can do.
    It's not a magic bullet for climate change as there is too much mismatch between when it supplies power and when you need the most, and it puts pressure on the electricity network, but it is certainly needed in the mix.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Solar prices have also dropped like a stone. -75% in the last 12 years.
    It should be on anyones mind right now when thinking about investing in their house. There's a real good chance it is one of the most cost effective things you can do.
    It's not a magic bullet for climate change as there is too much mismatch between when it supplies power and when you need the most, and it puts pressure on the electricity network, but it is certainly needed in the mix.

My goal in the next 5 years is to go off grid with solar and a water turbine. I have enough property to do a ground installation for solar, or possibly on a pole barn, which is nice.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

Dont forget those HOA’s that decide that Solar Panels are unattractive and force you to install them in areas that cant be seen from the street even if that puts them on the wrong side of the house and other idiotic HOA decisions.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

Dont forget those HOA’s that decide that Solar Panels are unattractive and force you to install them in areas that cant be seen from the street even if that puts them on the wrong side of the house and other idiotic HOA decisions.

HOAs in general are just bizarre and stupid. And seem a very american thing too.

shryke on
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular

My utility is only letting me get enough capacity for my yearly average consumption. And because of their monopoly, they get to do that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Cat memes are millenia old:

kjdnvwoq95kzynzp9fvi.jpg

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    So, the UK History Channel decided they'd try and make a show without any Nazis in it for a change.

ldxtfb7vk3oh.jpg

How's that going, lads?

vy5858ks4iq8.png

Oh dear.

See, they tweeted this:

sizs7b2h0g6w.png

And everyone said "Hang on, History Channel, that bloke's got a blatant '88' tattoo on his face. That's a Nazi tattoo. Did you not spot that? How could people who spend as much time talking about Nazis as you do not spot that?"

To which the History Channel replied:

w92ja5k1jra9.jpg

And everyone said "Your extensive background checks apparently didn't include looking at his face, since he also has other Nazi-related numerical tattoos, unless you're claiming his dad died on the 23rd of Sixteenber. Oh, and if his dad died in 1988, why was he also on the Bristol electoral register from 2002 - 2011?"

To which the history channel replied:

u93pawzufq92.jpg

Gone right? Well, the show's host, Lee Mack, will now have an absolutely cracking anecdote for the 2035 series of Would I Lie To You?, and the History Channel did eventually tweet this:

gjiafgleu7h0.jpg

Which I think is as close as we'll get to an admission that their 'extensive background check' consisted of a panicked phone call some time this morning shouting "Mate, everyone's saying you're a Nazi, that's not true is it?"

Werewolf2000ad on
    steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    I didn't even have to keep scrolling to have a decent idea how that one ended.

• Options
    Even if the guy had tattooed 88 on his face for entirely non-nazi-related reasons, OF COURSE they're going to end up with a bunch of comments about why they're interviewing a nazi. There's a lot of people in this world; you don't need to interview this person in particular.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Even if the guy had tattooed 88 on his face for entirely non-nazi-related reasons, OF COURSE they're going to end up with a bunch of comments about why they're interviewing a nazi. There's a lot of people in this world; you don't need to interview this person in particular.

It isn't just 88, either. Werewolf mentioned 23 16 (WP, white power), but just pulling from twitter threads he's also got a bunch of other well known Nazi number tattoos visible on his arms and neck in other parts of the clip:

1 11 (AK, Aryan Knights)
    3 11 (3K, KKK)
    1 8 (AH, Adolf Hitler, which he has a second time coupled with 20 4 89, his birth day)
    14W (14 words)
    14 88 (14 words again, coupled with Heil Hitler)
    109/110 (A more complicated meme here, the claim that Jews have already been expelled from 109 countries with hopes for one more)
    Also has 1 3, I've seen several claims of what that one means including AC, Aryan Circle.

And that's just what's visible, his tattoos extend up his arms and down his neck into his shirt and... I mean, I've never seen somebody with that much on their face and arms who kept their torso pure as a temple, but he keeps his shirt on so maybe they abruptly cut off like a racist farmer's tan.

Hevach on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Jesus that's a lot. I always lean towards the benefit of the doubt for 88 on its own, given that I'm of the generation born around then and also follow a lot of pianists (88 keys on a piano) but as soon as it's paired with a 14 it's immediately suspect, and then that guy apparently went every possible Nazi numerology.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    it's like racist sudoku

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Jesus that's a lot. I always lean towards the benefit of the doubt for 88 on its own, given that I'm of the generation born around then and also follow a lot of pianists (88 keys on a piano) but as soon as it's paired with a 14 it's immediately suspect, and then that guy apparently went every possible Nazi numerology.

Any one could be explained, but I'm automatically suspicious of context free tattoos. Still, any one could be explained.

Two, in the absence of any other numbers, is going to be a very hard sell. Like, if he also had 12 19 82 and 7 25 44 and 46 24 36 I'd maybe buy his excuse for 20 4 89.

He has TEN number tattoos visible, ALL of which have well documented white supremacist meanings.

Around here, accidentally asking for a tattoo too close to something with white supremacist use (like a rose cross, celtic knots, anything Norse) will get you at least a warning and some places a ban.

I just don't believe that even if he had innocent intentions that he could have gotten all of those and still not know.

Hevach on
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Wait, have celtic knots been co-opted by White Supremacists?

That puts an unfortunate spin on my M&B Battanians campaign.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

Lots of things have been claimed by white supremecists.

I largely choose to ignore their claims however.

• Options
    edited October 2020

More uncomfortably adjacent than co-optrd, as it's used with Celtic/Sun cross tattoos sometimes. Rose cross falls into the same category, since it's visually similar to the co-opted Celtic cross and both are often shown with runic writing (also co-opted).

A LOT of stuff has been hijacked by white supremacists, having a wolf or Punisher or Mjolnir tattoo is probably not going to get you labeled.

Having both arms fully sleeved in hijacked images and code numbers is going to, fairly or not.

Hevach on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Lots of things have been claimed by white supremecists.

I largely choose to ignore their claims however.

They took the OK sign from us, dammit.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
This discussion has been closed.