As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

🖥️🎮 - Per Aspera, Nine Witches, Haven, Phogs, Morbid & El Hijo out today!

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Crippl3 on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    On the subject of game intros that set the mood for the game, I've always loved Dungeon Keeper's (warning: 90s-era graphics)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj4jLb7Ri2U

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Having trouble thinking of games I've played that have intros. I get the impression that it's much less of a thing than it was before my time. But then I remember oh, duh, Battletech.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAGY4UMScyU

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    whelp I got my new monitor set up even though my computer isn't here yet

how have I been living with a 13 inch screen

why have I cursed myself like this for so long
    13"?? Now I'm just picturing a POS terminal display attached to a PC. I didn't even think you could get stuff below 15" these days (these days being the 2000s).

I think I had a screen that size on my first PC in the 90s. Admittedly, a CRT, so it had the mass of a small child, but still.

• Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    So after fighting with the Xbox app and the Windows store for several days, Wasteland 3 decided to finally actually install. I wanted to play it after seeing there's a gang/cult of Reagan-worshippers who you can fuck with and destroy, lol

Anyway so when you start a new game you can choose a pair of premade characters or create two of your own. I looked through the premades despite wanting to make my own, and saw this gay punk couple?!? What the hell, I had no idea this game was so cool lol

SAKevOK.png?1

The premades have custom backgrounds too, Kickboy's said he that he is so sick of prejudice and religious zealotry that hate him and Bronco that he wants to send them all to their god he doesn't believe in, lmao it rules
    (still made my own characters though, hopefully they're good! Made a sneaky sniper and a quick SMG guy with some useful skills)

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    game music rarely grabs me, but ...

The C&C franchise has some choice tracks:

Hell March kicks arse, this much is true.

Mechanical Man samples the Charles Manson song of the same name! (yeah, that Charles Manson)

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    So uh, if anyone wants to play indy Half Life 2 but Very Cyberpunk allow me to preview my experience with G-String (terrible name) in one screenshot:

u80s8aaqf8u2.jpg

Fucking Source Engine ass video game.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    So uh, if anyone wants to play indy Half Life 2 but Very Cyberpunk allow me to preview my experience with G-String (terrible name) in one screenshot:

u80s8aaqf8u2.jpg

Fucking Source Engine ass video game.

this game is a fucking fever dream and the source engine is absolutely perfect in making everything feel really really uncanny in a way that really suits the game so far

it's got absolutely baffling level design and everything is so garish and i think it is absolutely amazing

i'm only a little way in, but i have got a gun

• Options
    I got a gun and immediately lost half my health to an enemy I thought was immortal.

I have died like 10 times trying to figure out which way is forwards.

To say that the very good art and sound design mixing in with the amateurish feeling level design generates an oppressive mood would be understating it.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I don't know enough about Source to understand the significance of that screenshot

• Options
    edited October 2020
    I don't know enough about Source to understand the significance of that screenshot

The sensor mine is set up like a barnacle, the posters and decals on top of the texture look a specific way. The UI is just half life 2 with different names/icons down to the flashlight image.

TBH I wish I could've gotten an angle that also showed the pile of physics objects to Gravity Gun I mean telekinesis into the sensor mine that's right next to it.

Albino Bunny on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Saints Row 3 main theme pumps me up like nothing else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ubPld4Xk1I

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    G String. Slip into the Standard Issue Biosuit as Myo Hyori, a gifted Korean teenage girl who must face the perils of the future. Survive many hazards, explore a seemingly endless metropolis and beyond as the world around you implodes and history marches towards its inevitable conclusion.

Alright

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    The non-gameplay trailer video is extremely cool aesthetically, I'm trying to decide if it's cool enough that I want to spend 17 USD though. I do love janky source mod games... but usually not like "more than 5 bucks" love them.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Everything around Cyberpunk 2077 has managed to turn me completely off of it

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

The sensor mine is set up like a barnacle, the posters and decals on top of the texture look a specific way. The UI is just half life 2 with different names/icons down to the flashlight image.

TBH I wish I could've gotten an angle that also showed the pile of physics objects to Gravity Gun I mean telekinesis into the sensor mine that's right next to it.

Oooh. The picture is small on my phone and I thought that was a barnacle

• Options
    David_T wrote: »
    I always liked the Uncharted Main Theme.

There are minor differences between installments, but in the end I prefer the one from 2.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhdJSAPS21U

But if we're also talking intro music, then people, people...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJiHDmyhE1A

In retrospect, Baba Yetu, a translation of the Lord's Prayer, being set to scenes that includes a lot of war, conquest, and colonialism is kind of bad

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

yeah maybe it'll come out and be great but like

man I am so indifferent to that game

the repeated gaffes and unforced errors haven't helped

but I really had little to no excitement for it in the first place

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular

There are minor differences between installments, but in the end I prefer the one from 2.

In retrospect, Baba Yetu, a translation of the Lord's Prayer, being set to scenes that includes a lot of war, conquest, and colonialism is kind of bad

Rather blasphemous you feel

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    yeah maybe it'll come out and be great but like

man I am so indifferent to that game

the repeated gaffes and unforced errors haven't helped

but I really had little to no excitement for it in the first place
    Yeah, the only thing that still keeps me hopeful was CPR's open participation in the Warsaw's pride parade last year, which if you know anything about Poland's current politicians is not a trivial gesture, but man, their labour politics are... disappointing.

Relatedly, if you enjoyed the writing in The Witcher 3, but are iffy on CPR, some of their people left to form their own company and developed that Werewolf visual novel we spoke about a few pages ago (Heart of the Forest). I can confirm it has some quality writing.
    1zmfqvucz2lp.png

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQsQKtxG9D0

Unpunchable, and a lot of the little leitmotifs from this track turn up elsewhere in the game again

god, I can't wait to eventually replay Subnautica, but I feel like I need a few years because I played that first playthrough only about five months ago and it's all just a little bit too fresh in my head still

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular

for me it's partly this, and partly that I first heard the song from actual native Swahili speakers in church choirs in Tanzania, so hearing an overproduced version performed by non-native speakers is a little jarring for me (god what is it with white people and using South African consultants for East African settings, see also The Lion King and Black Panther)

• Options
    Mortal Sky wrote: »

for me it's partly this, and partly that I first heard the song from actual native Swahili speakers in church choirs in Tanzania, so hearing an overproduced version performed by non-native speakers is a little jarring for me (god what is it with white people and using South African consultants for East African settings, see also The Lion King and Black Panther)

You know the reason. Africa is all the same, right?

• Options
    Mortal Sky wrote: »

You know the reason. Africa is all the same, right?

as a country a little smaller than england, africa is pretty homogeneous

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    I'm fairly confident that lots of folks in history said the lord's prayer whilst perpetrating war, conquest, and colonialism.

• Options
    the CDPR gaffe of the day is particularly gross because like, their response to that gross poster existing was "well cyberpunk is about showing how corporations will commodify and sell back everything, even gender".

So like, maybe as a billion dollar corporation, don't try and sell your video game by highlighting a poster you previously described as corporate dehumanisation?

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors

solemn nod

Yes, moral debts. Sins. We forgive those moral debts. Nothing to do with financial debts. That's what it says in Matthew. Purely spiritual.
    Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal

*sweating*

M-moral treasures. Not worldly treasures. M-moral moths and rust.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors

solemn nod

Yes, moral debts. Sins. We forgive those moral debts. Nothing to do with financial debts. That's what it says in Matthew. Purely spiritual.
    Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal

*sweating*

M-moral treasures. Not worldly treasures. M-moral moths and rust.

obviously this verse is about properly maintaining your gold and fine linens and investing in security

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I'm finally high a enough level in Witcher 3 that I can do what I enjoy the most.

The Witcher contracts. I suppose I'll look for ciri as well.

• Options
    hey if I wanted to play ori and the will of the wisps

I can pay
    $40 cdn for it on steam
    Or
    $26 cdn for it on windows store

but then it's included with game pass, which I can get a month of for $1, but then it's $18 cdn after that

is there some other deal right now for getting longer versions of game pass for cheaper? if I can go for at least a year with a decent discount I'll try that instead

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I can tell you that Game Pass extremely owns and is worth the money if that helps

• Options
    yeah if you can get the Microsoft Store working for you its amazing

Every game I download has different errors lol, but when I am able to get them to work its an amazing deal

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Saints Row 3 main theme pumps me up like nothing else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ubPld4Xk1I

it was a real surprise to me how good the original music in SRTT and IV were, I actually turned off the radio in IV a bunch because the ambient music was rad

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I posted about this elsewhere last night, but the new jackbox Party Pack has a drawing game called Champed Up that fucking rules. it's my favorite drawing game so far, it's like Tee K.O. but about 10,000x better.

You're given a prompt and told to draw a fighter based on it. Like "the champion of slack" so you draw a kid in a flannel smoking weed, or whatever, and you name them.

Then your drawing and the name, but not the promt, are sent to another player. So they just get a picture of weed kid and your name Weedlord Bonerhitler or whatever, and they're told to draw a fighter who can challenge that. Will they guess the prompt correctly or go totally in the wrong direction? WHO KNOWS.

Anyway we had a very good time last night, 10/10, strong recommend

8JsC3Gdl.png

H6Jze7fl.png

PJVZIqVl.png

• Options
    MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    Finishing up Resident Evil Revelations 2, and the subversion of the final area is neat.
    Fighting through the island, going down the mine shaft and ending up in a mansion was pretty cool, especially since everything leads you to believe you're going into a typical end-game super lab. Barry hating mansions is also a fun character beat.

All in all it's been a good time with a few frustrations thrown in, mostly from the AI not really being any use. Also Claire's story gets significantly worse towards the end. Still it's a top 5 RE for me, and I haven't touched the bonus episodes or raid mode. If you can find it cheap it's worth it, and I imagine playing co-op with a buddy is a blast.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

I can pay
    $40 cdn for it on steam
    Or

but then it's included with game pass, which I can get a month of for $1, but then it's $18 cdn after that

is there some other deal right now for getting longer versions of game pass for cheaper? if I can go for at least a year with a decent discount I'll try that instead

If you get just the single month you will also be able to buy Ori at a discount also. Iirc it's 20% off?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

I can pay
    $40 cdn for it on steam
    Or

Game Pass Ultimate, which is a bundle of console game pass, PC game pass, and xbox live gold, costs $15 US. I don't know the conversion rates off the top of my head, but I'd assume that's what you're looking at that costs $18 cdn. You can get any of those individual parts for $5 US.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »

I can pay
    $40 cdn for it on steam
    Or

Game Pass Ultimate, which is a bundle of console game pass, PC game pass, and xbox live gold, costs $15 US. I don't know the conversion rates off the top of my head, but I'd assume that's what you're looking at that costs $18 cdn. You can get any of those individual parts for $5 US.

Isn't this the month gamepass does increase a bit? (To 10 us?) Because of the EA acquisition?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
This discussion has been closed.