As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Instant Pot vs Crock-Pot [chat]

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Pebble beach is best beach

Bonus points if it borders a freshwater lake with a potentially lethal thermocline a couple of metres down

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    The Secret Fire of Prometheus
    shryke wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    In Skyrim a bear murdered a rabbit, then turned to attack me because ?? I guess it decided it was worth just leaving the rabbit instead of eating it to fight a giant cat person? So I shot it several times with fireballs then ran away because it was going to be too trivial.

Eventually I found the shrine I was looking for, with a dragon flying around in the distance that eventually came close enough to fight. Almost immediately, another dragon flew up, so I had to fight two dragons at once. In the middle of that, I heard growling and got hit by something, turned around, and saw the half-health bear from multiple minutes ago. Wtf. Who is in charge of the Skyrim AI, and why did they think bears would be psychotic enough to limp up a mountain to bite someone fighting multiple dragons simultaneously.

Getting into fights with wildlife has always been the silliest part of fantasy games.

I love it when you kill a bear in a game and it drops six gold

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    In Skyrim a bear murdered a rabbit, then turned to attack me because ?? I guess it decided it was worth just leaving the rabbit instead of eating it to fight a giant cat person? So I shot it several times with fireballs then ran away because it was going to be too trivial.

Eventually I found the shrine I was looking for, with a dragon flying around in the distance that eventually came close enough to fight. Almost immediately, another dragon flew up, so I had to fight two dragons at once. In the middle of that, I heard growling and got hit by something, turned around, and saw the half-health bear from multiple minutes ago. Wtf. Who is in charge of the Skyrim AI, and why did they think bears would be psychotic enough to limp up a mountain to bite someone fighting multiple dragons simultaneously.

Getting into fights with wildlife has always been the silliest part of fantasy games.
    I like the disclaimer at the start of The Long Dark, where they say that Canadian wolves, moose and bears are extremely unlikely to attack you irl and creative liberties have been taken to make the game more 'survivally'.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Crock-Pot

In a world where the Holocene extinction hadn't happened yet it could work. I guess the adventurers would be the initiator of it sadly.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    I played the first couple hours of Genshin and it was okay? Good production value, as long as you don't mind full-tilt silly JRPG/shonen anime aesthetics. I haven't been that engaged by the core gameplay loops so far though. Maybe if I put a little more time into it. This is always my problem with huge, expensively-produced games these days, though. It takes like 3 or 4 hours before it starts getting fun because there is SO much handholding and slow prologue-ish story setup.

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Crock-Pot
    A fantasy world that gradually gets more and more boring as humans "tame" the wilderness, ending with the most banal modern day life would be a pretty effective environmental message imo.

Antinumeric on
    In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »

I like the disclaimer at the start of The Long Dark, where they say that Canadian wolves, moose and bears are extremely unlikely to attack you irl and creative liberties have been taken to make the game more 'survivally'.

Presumably this is to discourage people from leeroy jenkins-ing at some wildlife with a stick in the firm belief that they are now inevitably locked into a fight to the death

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    This game was made with consulting from Canadian wolves.

Coinage on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »

That's more then we've spent on all the repairs on the house combined.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Echo wrote: »
    Pretty cool that the dome printed without interior supports. (The grey was because I wanted to use up that spool before switching to the green)

qjecdgzvd0c9.png

yo Echo how'd ya do this? Fuse leftover filament onto a new spool?

@Dark Raven X I just snip the current filament and feed the new one into the bowden tube until it's reached the extruder so it can be grabbed on its own. I don't even pause the print to switch.

• Options
    desc wrote: »

I mean, that makes sense once you consider this is a world where the woods are flush with bears waylaying trespassers in order to get enough food to survive. Obviously the gold was just from the bears belly, deposited there by previous less-skilled adventurers it has eaten.

Going around murdering all this wildlife is clearly a population control measure.

• Options

I mean, that makes sense once you consider this is a world where the woods are flush with bears waylaying trespassers in order to get enough food to survive. Obviously the gold was just from the bears belly, deposited there by previous less-skilled adventurers it has eaten.

Going around murdering all this wildlife is clearly a population control measure.

Oh so a bear can’t earn her pay from a hard day’s honest work is that it

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I surprised my mother by choosing robust sturdy and detailed handles for the cupboards of my kitcken instead of the cheapest and plainest stainless steel ones.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    I'm downloading Genshin Impact now, and will hopefully spend $0 on it.

What would be really helpful to consumers is the ability to put a lock on your account so you can't spend money on any ftp games. ftp games are manipulative schemes that take advantage of their addict whales so if you have the choice to permanently block yourself before you start, we'd all be better off.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    emnmnme wrote: »

What would be really helpful to consumers is the ability to put a lock on your account so you can't spend money on any ftp games. ftp games are manipulative schemes that take advantage of their addict whales so if you have the choice to permanently block yourself before you start, we'd all be better off.

I just don't play them in the first place, much easier to not spend money when you're not invested in it!

Orca on
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Or, you know, classify them as the gambling they are and stick them with all the same legal restrictions.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Aioua wrote: »
    Or, you know, classify them as the gambling they are and stick them with all the same legal restrictions.

That would require government intervention which thus far has not been present :|

• Options
    Orca wrote: »

I just don't play them in the first place, much easier to not spend money when you're not invested in it!

Tut tut, I have played Hearthstone every day for the past three years doing the tavern brawls and dailies and I have only spent $10 total. I am immune to a ftp's sirens' call.

• Options

MY FREEDOMS!!

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I played it for a bit, and I can't see myself putting money into a game where you confirm with B and cancel with A. What the hell, man.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2020

MY FREEDOMS!!

Really, though, you start putting restrictions on games for their playable content, that's a foot in the door. No government restrictions beyond epilepsy warnings and seals of quality, plz.

emnmnme on
  • Options

Eating random humans is a hard day's honest work for a bear.

• Options
    I played it for a bit, and I can't see myself putting money into a game where you confirm with B and cancel with A. What the hell, man.

Oh yeah I used the Xbox accessory app to swap them

No keybind on game pad is lame

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

Oh no, I invested thirty thousand dollars in it!

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options

MY FREEDOMS!!

Really, though, you start putting restrictions on games for their playable content, that's a foot in the door. No government restrictions beyond epilepsy warnings and seals of quality, plz.

You want epilepsy warnings and seals of quality? Okay chairman Mao.

• Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Oh no, I invested thirty thousand dollars in it!

- Elki in two weeks

• Options

Eating random humans is a hard day's honest work for a bear.

Oh yeah good point

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    based on character art style, genshin impact looks like one of those steam games where you play mahjong or a simple card game against anime characters, but if you go download a patch from the developer's website, you can cram it full of hentai

I just assume that's what it is, plus micro transactions.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    hunniepop impact

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    based on character art style, genshin impact looks like one of those steam games where you play mahjong or a simple card game against anime characters, but if you go download a patch from the developer's website, you can cram it full of hentai

I just assume that's what it is, plus micro transactions.

Nah. It is unusual for a gacha because there is actually a good amount of gameplay and not much "sorry, you don't have enough energy to do anything more today"

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    There is also a major character who talks in third person AND WHY DO THEY KEEP ON LOCALIZING THEM AS TALKING IN THIRD PERSON WHEN THAT IS NOT A CULTURAL INDICATOR OF ANYTHING BESIDES POMPOUSNESS IN ENGLISH

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Shivahn how many dozens of mods do you have installed

@desc zero, in fact. I'm doing a completely vanilla run until I get bored.

Then in two years when I come back I'll install 32k textured grass and whatnot.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

Mudcrabs be eating rings like whoa.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Kamiro wrote: »
    I thought there was some sort of legislation where you had to display the % chance of getting a certain drop?

Genshin does that.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

MY FREEDOMS!!

we literally already do regulate games based on their gameplay content if that content is gambling

the problem is we're refusing to acknowledge these games are, in fact, grossly manipulative gambling

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Crock-Pot

MY FREEDOMS!!

This is nonsense

sig.gif
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Physically how can you spend that much on a game, does it really take that much to get the best of every type of entity in the game?

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    There is also a major character who talks in third person AND WHY DO THEY KEEP ON LOCALIZING THEM AS TALKING IN THIRD PERSON WHEN THAT IS NOT A CULTURAL INDICATOR OF ANYTHING BESIDES POMPOUSNESS IN ENGLISH

Elmo.

• Options
    blind boxes and gacha games ought to be outright illegal, not just labeled. it's a psychological manipulation tactic with no artistic merit, and no gameplay value, that is used to extract large amounts of money from vulnerable people with impulse control dysfunctions.

if you want to make a loot game or randomize and gate character unlocks, charge upfront one single reasonable price and have the game dole them out randomly at no added cost. if you want to make a free to play game where the business model is buying characters, make a store with straightforward pricing and guaranteed unlocks.

i really have no tolerance for this shit, it's so gross

This discussion has been closed.