As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pikmin 3: No one man should have all that flower.

1234568»

• QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    I don't think that's to-scale.

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Picked up a Wii U friday and got this Sunday. Already five hours in, and just taking my time doing stuff.

I cannot stop thinking about how a species deathly vulnerable to oxygen can live off fruit.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Picked up a Wii U friday and got this Sunday. Already five hours in, and just taking my time doing stuff.

I cannot stop thinking about how a species deathly vulnerable to oxygen can live off fruit.

They can't. The dirty little secret of Pikmin 3 is that the fruit they gathered was extremely poisonous to their species and they accidentally committed genocide on their species.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    Alph died drinking the first fruit juice, and the whole game is a Jacob's Ladder type story.

YL9WnCY.png
  • BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Brittany is a total jerk when it comes to fruit juice rationing.

• Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    I got to the final boss and went "fuck it."
    I'll get back to you someday Pikmin 3. Someday.

Ov3rcharge wrote: »
    I got to the final boss and went "fuck it."
    I'll get back to you someday Pikmin 3. Someday.

But the final boss is fantastic.

You have to use everything you've learned up to that point to beat him.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    I'm still trying to get through the last area. Every time I try it I do really well until there's about 20 seconds left in the day. Then I make a mistake that results in mass pikmin deaths.
    tumblr_mrclw64qKE1qlepd7o1_500.jpg

Taya on
  • QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    Final boss took me a few days (pikmin time) but I didn't have too much trouble. It's frustrating as all hell because it's sort of terrifying but you'll get there.

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
    edited September 2013
    The final boss will take a few days, but here's some hints.
    You can have Brittany and the pikmin carrying Olimar just loop around the first area over and over while Alpha and Charlie clear the way forward. Brittany will alert you if the boss is getting close, so you can just swap to her and make another loop. You may or may not want Brittany to have a few pikmin in the event the boss does catch up, but that's rather impractical since the boss demands every type.

There are multiple shortcuts that you can unlock. This saves a lot of time when you start a new day.

Rock Pikmin carry stuff slightly faster, so put ten of them on Olimar so Brittany has an easier time running around. Also, there are multiple spots with nectar, starting with the butterflies in the first area. Winged Pikmin kill them quickly, and they drop a ton of nectar.

You should have 20 of each Pikmin in your squad, but I think you can get away with no blues if you're careful and don't let Olimar get snagged. You WILL need every time when it comes time to actually fight the thing, so heads up there. However, the whole escape thing isn't that difficult if you just use Brittany as bait and let Alph and Charlie do their thing.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    The final boss will take a few days, but here's some hints.
    You can have Brittany and the pikmin carrying Olimar just loop around the first area over and over while Alpha and Charlie clear the way forward. Brittany will alert you if the boss is getting close, so you can just swap to her and make another loop. You may or may not want Brittany to have a few pikmin in the event the boss does catch up, but that's rather impractical since the boss demands every type.

There are multiple shortcuts that you can unlock. This saves a lot of time when you start a new day.

Rock Pikmin carry stuff slightly faster, so put ten of them on Olimar so Brittany has an easier time running around. Also, there are multiple spots with nectar, starting with the butterflies in the first area. Winged Pikmin kill them quickly, and they drop a ton of nectar.

You should have 20 of each Pikmin in your squad, but I think you can get away with no blues if you're careful and don't let Olimar get snagged. You WILL need every time when it comes time to actually fight the thing, so heads up there. However, the whole escape thing isn't that difficult if you just use Brittany as bait and let Alph and Charlie do their thing.
    Yeah, this is pretty much exactly how we did it.

In that first area, there's a path that leads up and then loops back around to it by jumping off of a short ledge. Once the boss goes down it he can't go back the other way. So if you lure him down that ledge, then circle all the way back around to the top of it, the boss has no choice but to go all the way around to follow you. Then when it finally does cross over the ledge, you just repeat. You just have to be careful not to loop back around before it falls off of the ledge, or else it'll turn around and cut you off.

But yeah, if you can manage this part well, the rest of it becomes just a matter of grinding Alph and Charlie through all the shortcuts and enemies until you can get Olimar to the final fight.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Po,OrRegistered User regular
    Ya know just out of curiosity let me ask
    Final Boss area
    There's a 20 pound weight just lying around and I was wondering what it's there for. I had the idea that maybe I could get the boss to "swallow" it and slow it down but it seems like I couldn't actually do anything with it.
    Any ideas?

3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
    It's probably for a shortcut, but I never bothered. Might also be for a secret file.

YL9WnCY.png
    Ya know just out of curiosity let me ask
    Final Boss area
    There's a 20 pound weight just lying around and I was wondering what it's there for. I had the idea that maybe I could get the boss to "swallow" it and slow it down but it seems like I couldn't actually do anything with it.
    Any ideas?

It gets you a secret file actually.

I am still missing a few secret files, but there is no indicator which level I missed them on. I wish the game tracked those for you. This week my goal is to finish mission mode. I'm not worried about getting the best medal, I just want to say I played through them.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Anyone try the new downloadable content? Curious if it is worth it!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
      I'm playing Pikmin 1 for the Wii with my girlfriend and it's so adorable. She wants to save all the Pikmins but is struggling to learn the game, so there have been multiple Pikmin genocides as she figures out how to take out the enemies & obstacles. I haven't had the heart to introduce her to the armored beetle or the daddy long legs yet.

• Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »
      Anyone try the new downloadable content? Curious if it is worth it!

It's the same deal as New Super Mario Bros. 2, if you like the mode you'll enjoy the DLC. It's only two bucks anyway, so if you hate it no big loss.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
      New Pikmin 3 DLC
      REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Fantastic new challenges in the world of Pikmin 3 are only a download away. Starting today, new challenges in the “Battle Enemies!” mission type in Pikmin 3 can be purchased as downloadable content in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U for only $1.99. One stage is free, and is available via an automatic software update.

The pack of four stages is based on locations from the game’s Story Mode and is crawling with tons of hostile creatures. Like all the other stages in Mission Mode, these new challenges can be played solo or cooperatively with a friend. High scores earned in this mode will be displayed on a global rankings leaderboard, encouraging friendly competition with other players all around the world.

To purchase the new downloadable content, Wii U users with broadband Internet access need to select “downloadable content” from the Pikmin 3 page in the Nintendo eShop and follow the instructions to confirm their purchase. Once purchased and downloaded, players can access the new stages from the Mission Mode menu in Pikmin 3 after the game has been restarted.

Pikmin 3 is the latest installment in the fan-favorite Pikmin series. Designed by Shigeru Miyamoto, the game finds three space explorers leading an army of adorable Pikmin on a quest to find supplies for their home planet. The new stages in “Battle Enemies!” mark the second set of downloadable content in Pikmin 3. Additional downloadable content for Mission Mode launched earlier this year in the Nintendo eShop.

For more information about Pikmin 3, visit http://pikmin3.nintendo.com.

Nintendo Console Codes
      Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
      Wow, the new content for Pikmin 3 looks really nice. Including new stages

Nintendo Console Codes
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
      New levels? Heck yea!

PSN - Brainiac_8
      Add me!
      Yep, I'm actually going to be buying these.

Also there's an update on Dec, 2 that you need to download for it. But you get 2 free maps for your trouble.

The map that takes place inside the house is so very intriguing to me. I have been wanting a Pikmin level to take place inside a house.

Something similar to what they did in Katamari.

PSN - Brainiac_8
      Add me!
      Oh God I just got the title of this thread. Apparently I should have played Saints Row 3 a long time ago.

Steam | Twitch
    • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
      Big Dookie wrote: »
      Oh God I just got the title of this thread. Apparently I should have played Saints Row 3 a long time ago.

I always thought the quote came from The Dark Knight. Having rewatched the Batman/Lucius scene, I had the quote slightly wrong.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
      Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
      Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
      Steam ID
      Twitch Page
      Hmm, I dunno, maybe. Kanye West's "Power" features the line, but I'd never really listened to it until it was featured prominently in SR3 (which I just finished recently), so I figured that's what it was a reference to. Now that I think about it though, the line in that song was probably a reference to something much older anyway.

Point being, I R SLOW

Steam | Twitch
      Nintendo Console Codes
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
      edited January 2014
      I got this for my birthday from the fiancee. She was going to buy me a Wii U title, but didn't know much about any of them. She chose Pikmin because it looked the cutest. Having played 5 in-game days so far, it is certain to say that she has fallen in love with the little critters. She cries out in pain when even a single Pikmin dies. :(
      We've lost 60 so far. That first glass covered boss battle did a number on us.

MNC Dover on
      Steam ID
      Twitch Page
      My fiancee and I have been playing this together, with each of us doing one day then passing the gamepad over to the other. We are currently on day 14 or so and managed to rescue the Captain. Still managing to keep most of our Pikmin alive, although we did end up abandoning one Rock Pikmin. Having played the prior games in the series, I knew what was going to happen...

...oh man, was she ever not. The cute Rock guy ran around before getting slurped up and *crunched* by a monster. I thought she was gonna cry. We vowed not to leave anymore Pikmin behind ever again.
      Naturally we left 5 Yellow Pikmin behind the next night as they got trapped behind a cliff and we couldn't find them in time.

Steam ID
      Twitch Page
    • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
      I still remember when I accidentally bomb rocked my own Pikmin. Pikmin flew everywhere.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
      My daughter has been playing the Switch demo for this over and over nonstop since it was made available. She is about to throwdown her birthday money for the game on release date even though we'd already decided to get it for Xmas gift for her.

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
      I flat out forgot this was on Wii U.

aTBDrQE.jpg
    • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
      My daughter has been playing the Switch demo for this over and over nonstop since it was made available. She is about to throwdown her birthday money for the game on release date even though we'd already decided to get it for Xmas gift for her.

Shh!

Don't tell her she's playing an RTS.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
      Cantido wrote: »

Shh!

Don't tell her she's playing an RTS.

She is INTO it though, doesn’t matter what you call it.

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
      I just want to say this is the best thread title in the history of the forums.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
      Resident 8bitdo expert.
      Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.