As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TV]Thread: Have you guys seen this new show, Lost? It’s an Anime

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    so on Great British Bake-Off they are regularly making these absolutely wild things I can't even comprehend

and then it all comes crashing down to earth this week as I get to watch and laugh like an old king as they completely struggle with brownies

6F32U1X.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    it's just like when they had no idea what to do with angelfood cake

brownies are an American invention, inexplicable to foreigners

• TefTef Registered User regular
    So I got to the second to last episode of Evil.

That took a... strange turn.

I’m digging it, but I wasn’t expecting it

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

Hmm. In that case, what do European teenagers bake weed into as homemade edibles?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

Hmm. In that case, what do European teenagers bake weed into as homemade edibles?

None of the teens I met growing up knew how to bake. Everyone was just smoking it.

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Discovery S3E1, first commercial break
    The first thing I thought when Michael learned she was in the distant future was well, the Federation’s gone now

I’m a litte bit disappointed that they made up one singular cataclysm for it rather than just, well, it’s been centuries, governments don’t last that long.
    The Federation certainly isn't invincible and has come close to the brink of collapse before, but upon pondering it more I think The Burn works to cripple the galaxy and leave everyone on a level playing ground.
    Yeah the rest of the episode put it into context that for now at least, the plot is "reconnect the galaxy" and they did need something more than "well things changed" to justify that. Nobody would want the Federation to come back if there was a new stable government that replaced it.

Also they sure went back to the ripping off Mass Effect well, again, after Beyond and Picard. But it's that + Death Stranding this time.

Discovery
    I fired up the stupid wordplay part of my brain because I remembered DS' main character has the surname Bridges, only to realise Burnham :surprised:

I am mostly convinced this is a coincidence

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Wellington Paranormal is a spinoff of What We Do In The Shadows, I started watching the first episode on SBS On Demand 5 minutes ago and I had to pause it and come here to insist that everyone in this thread gives it a shot.

I dont think its accessable to most of us yet

Ive been trying to find that show legally for a while now, off and on, with absolutely no success.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I have finished season one of Evil.

Kristen Bouchard might be my favorite TV protagonist of 2020?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    oh boy

hulu's helstrom may just be the most boring show i have ever seen. the lead actor has no charisma and negative screen presence. calling this show shitty constantine is actually too kind and insulting to constantine.

also the cowards don't even refer to satana by her full name, which should have been my first sign.

it feels like a parody of tortured genius/troubled man dramas like house or sherlock that went horribly wrong.

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    oh my god the reveal about emersons character in evil ep12 is incredible

this show is stupid and fantastic

edited October 2020
    also i cannot stress enough how much the guy playing helstrom makes stephen amell look like daniel day-lewis

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    The bust mold cake showstopper this season is still the wildest challenge they’ve had. On week one!!!!!! It was nightmare fuel.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    I finished my Lost rewatch. I've been watching it on Amazon Prime, and for some reason, there are cuts. I've read up while writing this post and apparently Prime UK has the version of the finale they use for syndication, split into two 41ish minute episodes. The final was 104 minuteas when it aired so they cut a lot. Apparently this happened on Netflix US too but they fixed it there. It's been like this for a year too, and people complained but it wasn't changed. So don't watch the finale on Prime UK I guess.

Spoilers for everything

The scene where Miles spot's Richard's first grey hair, and the 'I believe in duct tape' scene, are just gone. In fact I think the entire sequence where they first try to start the plane has been removed, as they kinda just, start the plane? The Hugo/Ben scene at the church is missing too, plus way more.

As for the show itself, I enjoyed it just as much the 2nd time. There was no mystery of course, but the afterlife flashes hit harder when you know what it all means. Jin and Sun remembering at the hospital had me in tears

Definitely glad I rewatched it and it holds up really well.

ZD98Zka.png
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    The little epilogue they put on the dvd/blu ray release is so, so good and I have no idea why it wasn't somehow put in the show itself. I guess network means no ability to go over your allotted time.

It's called "The New Man in Charge" if you haven't seen it. Probably on YouTube or something.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    The little epilogue they put on the dvd/blu ray release is so, so good and I have no idea why it wasn't somehow put in the show itself. I guess network means no ability to go over your allotted time.

It's called "The New Man in Charge" if you haven't seen it. Probably on YouTube or something.

I simultaneously love it and hate it because it’s pretty clearly a dig at people who wanted a few more answers to various threads that were left to dangle by the writers

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    The article written at the time by baby, pre-Some News Cody Johnston is pretty much required reading after you finish watching through Lost imo

sig.gif
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

It's neat, but there's no way it fits in the show as aired. The final shot of the show is what the final shot of the show needed to be, you can't really do, like..."and here's what's next!" after that.

So SNL had a whole sketch laughing at Quebecois stereotypes, and like every time American media represents foreigners, it was basically a funhouse mirror of weird assumptions and misattributed stereotypes (Quebecois drive Peugeots and smoke cigarettes inside, but also worship Drake?)

But for what it’s worth, the fact that it was so absurd made it way funnier to me and it’s probably my favorite SNL sketch in a WHILE

sig.gif
    DJ Eebs wrote: »

It's neat, but there's no way it fits in the show as aired. The final shot of the show is what the final shot of the show needed to be, you can't really do, like..."and here's what's next!" after that.

The New Man in Charge was clearly conceived and shot after the finale aired. It’s a direct response to the internet discourse at the time.

sig.gif
    Even when Lost first aired, I never really felt like there were that many things that mattered left unexplained that I couldn't just figure out from context, or at least make a good guess at.

ZD98Zka.png
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    There is only one mystery regarding Lost that I still don't quite understand.
    Christian Shepard appearing to Michael on the Freighter

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    How Sawyer and Jack keep perfect 5 o’ clock shadows

Fixed this for the real mystery

Regarding that, my personal theory
    Every time Christian Shepard appears off-island, it’s actually Jacob

Don’t ask me why he takes that form though

knitdan wrote: »
    Regarding that, my personal theory
    Every time Christian Shepard appears off-island, it’s actually Jacob

Don’t ask me why he takes that form though

My actual pet theory is:
    Christian Shepard, when he isn't clearly the MiB, is the spirit of the island itself.

During the rewatch, I remembered this video, and now I can't get the fake Lost theme out of my head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4AEEoX3d3E

ZD98Zka.png
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    How Sawyer and Jack keep perfect 5 o’ clock shadows

Fixed this for the real mystery

This is why my favorite episode is the one where
    a background character points out how ridiculous it is that Hurley hasn't lost any weight.

uyvfOQy.png
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    So SNL had a whole sketch laughing at Quebecois stereotypes, and like every time American media represents foreigners, it was basically a funhouse mirror of weird assumptions and misattributed stereotypes (Quebecois drive Peugeots and smoke cigarettes inside, but also worship Drake?)

But for what it’s worth, the fact that it was so absurd made it way funnier to me and it’s probably my favorite SNL sketch in a WHILE

As much as South park has pissed me off on occasion over the years, I will always love the effort they put in to make fun of Canadians, some effort shitting on Canada when they do it.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    My wife started the Scream tv show.

I hadn’t watched it before so I’m kind of paying attention.

I’m not feeling it too much at the moment.

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »

Yeah completely agree. No idea how they would do it, I just wish they did somehow because it was pretty neat, the folks who appear in it all do a great job, and it answers some stupid questions people wouldn’t shut up about.

I love the finale and have no idea where it would fit, but I wish more people saw it.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    The best Quebec joke has already been made
    https://youtu.be/Tv5LEjeWz-E

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    EDIT: Wrong thread

Piotyr on
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Lovecraft Country finale was tonight. Instead of talking about it I'll post this SNL skit about someone trying to explain Lovecraft Country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p17zyrxp5Do

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Watched The Boys season 2.

The Boys the show is so much better then The Boys the comic its insane

i am enough episodes into dark shadows that i have started blaming burke devlin for all my woes + cursing his name

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    If anybody fell off of “Kipo and the Age of the Wonderbeasts” and is wondering if it’s worth going back to it’s definitely fine. It feels like a shows that exists in conversation with recent animated giants Steven Universe and She-ra but I can’t say it really reaches the heights either of those shows did.

I also don’t really have any complaints. Everything about the show is fine all around.

Quire.jpg
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    If anybody fell off of “Kipo and the Age of the Wonderbeasts” and is wondering if it’s worth going back to it’s definitely fine. It feels like a shows that exists in conversation with recent animated giants Steven Universe and She-ra but I can’t say it really reaches the heights either of those shows did.

I also don’t really have any complaints. Everything about the show is fine all around.

I still enjoyed season 2 and season 3 is on my list, do you know what problems people had with the show?

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I know somebody who has been enjoying recent adaptations of Garth Ennis comics and now they think Garth Ennis is really great even though theyve never read any of the comics and get mad when I say mean stuff about Garth Ennis but I dont think I should stop I dont think anyone shouldnt say mean stuff about Garth Ennis all the time

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    I know somebody who has been enjoying recent adaptations of Garth Ennis comics and now they think Garth Ennis is really great even though theyve never read any of the comics and get mad when I say mean stuff about Garth Ennis but I dont think I should stop I dont think anyone shouldnt say mean stuff about Garth Ennis all the time

Show them any issue of crossed and wait for their apology

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    If I ever show you an issue of Crossed that is me demonstrating the contempt abd disgust I feel towards you

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    How many recent adaptations of Garth Ennis comics have there been

I know of Preacher and The Boys

And Jesus Fuck i finally forgot about Crossed why did you have to remind me

This discussion has been closed.