As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Instant Pot vs Crock-Pot [chat]

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    I just played Fortnite for the first time with my nephew and we won the first three games in a row. I am currently undefeated in Fortnite.

Epic realized that kids were leaving Fortnite because they weren't winning in their first few games and decided to fill early matchups with really low skill bots as part of a "training" period, to help players boost confidence while they learn the game.
    [... W]e are adding Bots to Fortnite. They will behave similarly to normal players and will help provide a better path for [new] players to grow in skill. Bots will work in conjunction with the matchmaking system, and as your skill improves, you’ll face fewer Bots. Bots will not be present in Competitive playlists. This is another system that we will continue to update and iterate.

Good work Winky.

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Delivery
    I just played Fortnite for the first time with my nephew and we won the first three games in a row. I am currently undefeated in Fortnite.

Epic realized that kids were leaving Fortnite because they weren't winning in their first few games and decided to fill early matchups with really low skill bots as part of a "training" period, to help players boost confidence while they learn the game.
    In the next Season, we are adding Bots to Fortnite. They will behave similarly to normal players and will help provide a better path for [new] players to grow in skill. Bots will work in conjunction with the matchmaking system, and as your skill improves, you’ll face fewer Bots. Bots will not be present in Competitive playlists. This is another system that we will continue to update and iterate.

I suspected that we were getting matched up against extremely low level players, and some of the enemies were obviously bots, but I don't know enough about Fortnite to know the difference between bots that are part of the map and bots that are subbed in for players.

Winky on
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Delivery
    it's important that everyone know that they are bad at video games and any small success is both unearned and a dangerous capitalistic lure.

I mean, I was under the impression that I was beating up children either way.

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Personally, I launch fortnite on my phone, then party up with the phone using my PC. This lets me, a 30-year-old KBAM-using FPS veteran, slip into the lobby with small children on iPads playing with touchscreen controls.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Winky I chose to spare you the bot news in order to shill Apex some more.

Doesn't that fill you with gratitude and the desire play Apex.

• credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Delivery

[... W]e are adding Bots to Fortnite. They will behave similarly to normal players and will help provide a better path for [new] players to grow in skill. Bots will work in conjunction with the matchmaking system, and as your skill improves, you’ll face fewer Bots. Bots will not be present in Competitive playlists. This is another system that we will continue to update and iterate.

That seems like a good call not just from a market-driven player retention perspective but also if you are interested in people building mastery in general. Let them practice basic mechanics before throwing them into games with really experienced players.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    The Secret Fire of Prometheus
    I’ve updated a bit over 16% of my game collection spreadsheet manually, to add release dates. It’s real monk’s work but it’s also very zen.

Delivery
    I’ve updated a bit over 16% of my game collection spreadsheet manually, to add release dates. It’s real monk’s work but it’s also very zen.

Illuminated letters at the beginning of each row or I feed

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Is griefing children so they quit Fortnite praxis?

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    credeiki wrote: »

That seems like a good call not just from a market-driven player retention perspective but also if you are interested in people building mastery in general. Let them practice basic mechanics before throwing them into games with really experienced players.

It would be quite a bit more honest to offer the bot matches from a separate menu item, or require at least one training match before moving to online. The training aspect is good but the way they slip bots into the main game mode and let you score easy early wins to get you hooked is a little gross.

Donkey Kong on
  • A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    Delivery
    it's important that everyone know that they are bad at video games and any small success is both unearned and a dangerous capitalistic lure.

it's even more important for everybody to realize that all video games are inherently Bad™ and Wrong™, actually and all those who propagate them and their culture must be punished accordingly

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Is griefing children so they quit Fortnite praxis?

Obviously. The question is the praxis of what. So many possible answers.

Delivery

It would be quite a bit more honest to offer the bot matches from a separate menu item, or require at least one training match before moving to online. The training aspect is good but the way they slip bots into the main game mode and let you score easy early wins to get you hooked is a little gross.

It's market driven yes, but it also wouldn't be bad to paternalistically force new players into playing vs bots for a while before they queue with other players

It would be good in LoL, certainly--but I guess that's a bit different since Fortnite is every man for himself so you aren't making another player's life worse when you join their team without knowing how to play

It's market driven yes, but it also wouldn't be bad to paternalistically force new players into playing vs bots for a while before they queue with other players

It would be good in LoL, certainly--but I guess that's a bit different since Fortnite is every man for himself so you aren't making another player's life worse when you join their team without knowing how to play

I don't think so really. The way I often see it implemented is the mode will be called "Training" or "Practice" or something like that, and on first launch it'll take the top spot in the menu. And if the player tries to bypass it and queue online anyway, it pesters you to play the training. If you say no, it lets you queue. That's enough imo.

I think you'd be surprised how many players will willingly do the training, or will return to the practice mode a bunch because online play is stressful to them.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    So Google Play has disabled itself on my Android phone. Someone recommend me a free music app I can download off the Play store that isn't going to just suck up all my personal data because it's fucking bullshit that Google can decide I can't listen to any of the music I put on my phone any more, and double-bullshit that if I do try to upgrade to YouTube Music it tells me my YouTube account can't be used.

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Delivery
    before you are allowed to play an fps you need to spend 1000 hours in a 3rd party aim trainer so you can be GOATed on the sticks

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    If you didn't train your FPS skills against bots in UT2k and Quake 3 20 years ago, you shouldn't be playing FPSes.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Bots have the problem of not being big enough assholes to be be good training besides the most basic control stuff

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Spellbreak, a Wizard battle royale hosted by epic, also does the "first few games are against bots" thing as well

Arch on
  • TuminTumin Registered User regular
    Instant Pot
    If you queue without a full party for a competitive FPS, you deserve to be matched to a 14 year old whose dad is about to break down the door so he'll come eat dinner

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    @credeiki did you watch this lol game? (SN vsJDG game 2 in quarters): https://youtu.be/jYaPWKd7lM4

^feat. THE jhin

• OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    If you didn't train your FPS skills against bots in UT2k and Quake 3 20 years ago, you shouldn't be playing FPSes.

Ugh, memories of how annoying Godlike bots were on the '99 Unreal Tournament. They just didn't miss.

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    So Google Play has disabled itself on my Android phone. Someone recommend me a free music app I can download off the Play store that isn't going to just suck up all my personal data because it's fucking bullshit that Google can decide I can't listen to any of the music I put on my phone any more, and double-bullshit that if I do try to upgrade to YouTube Music it tells me my YouTube account can't be used.

Time for A N T I T R U S T

• SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    One of our players is currently the only one standing; two of us went down and the third has been "spirited away" (is late). I stabilized, my friend had 2 successes and one failure. The remaining guy, being evil like most of the party, decided to see what happens for another round.

My friend just rolled a critical failure and died.

(And this is just a short little throwaway campaign, before anybody gets vicariously upset.)

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Ok, that's 412 games from my list I added release date to, let's see now what's next?

Oh, it's most of my steam games, that'll be done in a jiffy, let me se how many that it.

(Roughly 1000 entries)

(out of roughly 1700 games total.)

(And that's not all of the steam games, just a big chunk of them.)

I could leatn to webscrape but i actually am enjoying manually searching, copy-pasting the release date in and then repeating for every title. honest.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2020
    I used to train against bots in the original Unreal Tournament with a mutator that increased game speed by 10%.

Then it felt slow as molasses against players.

Echo on
    Echo wrote: »
    I used to train against bots in the original Unreal Tournament with a mutator that increased game speed by 10%.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev24dNdzyN4

Artist's rendition of Echo trying against live humans.

Delivery
    Tangentially relatedly, I've been seeing a lot of bots in TFT lately and I'm not sure what to make of them

I think it would be fun to design the rules that govern a TFT bot (by clearly articulating the heuristics I use to make decisions in that game)

I don't know what the TFT bots are doing exactly. Farming blue essence I guess? Although I'm not actually sure you get that from TFT.

Delivery
    credeiki did you watch this lol game? (SN vsJDG game 2 in quarters): https://youtu.be/jYaPWKd7lM4

^feat. THE jhin

They were so hype about him ulting from within the enemy base! It was definitely a Jhin powermove hahaha

@skippydumptruck

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020

That shit works!

Been doing some Assault Android Cactus+

going back to the regular campaign I'm pulling off S and S+ levels like it ain't no thang. Previously I'd had to practice like a mofo to get that ranking.

Orca on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

6rfo0i8f6zag.jpeg

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    If molasses are so slow explain that molasses tsunami in that city way back in time that killed a bunch of people

PSN: Honkalot
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

fortnite is incredibly gross

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    If molasses are so slow explain that molasses tsunami in that city way back in time that killed a bunch of people

after that disaster we invented running

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    Fuck it.

I'm feeling a bit meh tonight, not particularly hungry and in need of comfort.

I'm making just potatos mash for dinner.

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I feel my life force depleting each time I'm asked to look up enthalpy values in the tables and realize I have to interpolate values

ftOqU21.png
    Honk wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7t1Yp9mgzo

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    It’s wild that to this day they don’t know the source of the molasses tsunami it just rose out of the sea

PSN: Honkalot
    Also Creeper World 4 has a tentative release date of December.

Gonna world so much creep.

This discussion has been closed.