As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Quit your [job] thread

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    BWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
    *Breathe*
    HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
    https://newrepublic.com/article/159662/libertarian-walks-into-bear-book-review-free-town-project

Reminder to self: Never, ever take a job in New Hampshire. Added it to the nogo zone, along with most of the deep south.

Eh, most of NH is fine. We all make fun of the freepers.
    Most of the population is along the border/highways to Mass, so don't let the random weirdness of backwoods NH scare you. It's definitely a low tax/services state, but it's pretty great for us opinionated weirdos.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    schuss wrote: »
    *Breathe*
    https://newrepublic.com/article/159662/libertarian-walks-into-bear-book-review-free-town-project

Reminder to self: Never, ever take a job in New Hampshire. Added it to the nogo zone, along with most of the deep south.

Eh, most of NH is fine. We all make fun of the freepers.
    Most of the population is along the border/highways to Mass, so don't let the random weirdness of backwoods NH scare you. It's definitely a low tax/services state, but it's pretty great for us opinionated weirdos.

It's not so much the weirdos that scare me, it's the human-hungry bears.

"Come to NH, we've trained our bears on the taste of human flesh" is not great for tourism.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    @Xaquin

HR needs a "record number". We think this is stamped on (for me it's just above the 'birth no.' field), but due to some fading, there's some confusion.

I need to know the format. Is it supposed to be an 8-digit number (ABCDEFGH) or is 2+5 (AB-CDEFG); if the latter, is the separation symbol a dash or a space?

(also if you're in a position to confirm that we're looking at the right number in the first place, that would be swell)

Thanks so much.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Tamin wrote: »
    @Xaquin

HR needs a "record number". We think this is stamped on (for me it's just above the 'birth no.' field), but due to some fading, there's some confusion.

I need to know the format. Is it supposed to be an 8-digit number (ABCDEFGH) or is 2+5 (AB-CDEFG); if the latter, is the separation symbol a dash or a space?

(also if you're in a position to confirm that we're looking at the right number in the first place, that would be swell)

Thanks so much.

@Tamin

the file number should be your year of birth followed by 2 digits followed by 5 digits in this format

xxxx-xx-xxxxx

on my official copies, the number is located at the top right above the name box

that's the only number with that format

my original birth certificate from 1979 (cool kids never have the time) has a 3 digit number followed by a 5 digit number in this format

xxx-xxxxx

the last 7 digits of each format match

They are both labeled 'file numbers' which is probably what you're looking for

Happy to help and also kind of funny because I needed to open my safe today anyway =)

Xaquin on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Looks like they changed things, but I think that helps. Cheers!

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Since last week I have been doing the work of 3 people doing 2+ depts a night
    It is a good thing the nurgle cult is losing members through people quiting {lol at them looking for jobs right right now but that's a whole different tale of woe} But still I am quite tired and the week is not over I dread going into tonight as it's my idiot of a manager

Uaahaahahahah

It starts with a ugggg Do Christmas and we will see later
    I finish all of Christmas and the rest of the garden stuff before lunch
    After lunch I lock back in and he walks past me without saying anything so I go help the person in Toys who had 5 + pallets of toys [I did 3 isles before he sees me and says is this where you have been?} Then says go to Frozen and help them
    I did 2 carts in less than 90 minutes when the two people in Frozen only did one!
    While doing frozen he asked why I did not go find him to ask I told him why waste the time if I help someone you are bound to find me and I was working the whole time instead of wandering around looking for you
    Well don't let it happen again

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    *Breathe*

Jesus

fuckmuppets

Christ

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    Looks like they changed things, but I think that helps. Cheers!

I'd wager if you use xx-xxxxx you'll be good to go

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Mental health levels at work are starting to drop pretty hard.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    *Breathe*

How does a city like this exist and I didn't know about it until now? Setting aside the bears, I would have imagined this sort of anarchic takeover to have been met with the various federal powers, most especially the IRS.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    *Breathe*

How does a city like this exist and I didn't know about it until now? Setting aside the bears, I would have imagined this sort of anarchic takeover to have been met with the various federal powers, most especially the IRS.

Ah, yes. Easy mistake to make. You see, it was a bunch of white people.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    *Breathe*

It wasn't anarchic. They just voted in people who slashed budgets and defunded programs into extinction. All above-board.

• Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    *Breathe*

Ah, yes. Easy mistake to make. You see, it was a bunch of white people.

Wasn't Waco? I was under the impression even white people get stomped when they start organizing town takeovers like this

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    *Breathe*

It wasn't anarchic. They just voted in people who slashed budgets and defunded programs into extinction. All above-board.

Yeah this is really the key. It was all legal, except probably shooting and feeding bears is probably not, but since NH has an underfunded fish and game department, there's no money for them to bother about people mistreating the bears.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    *Breathe*

Yeah this is really the key. It was all legal, except probably shooting and feeding bears is probably not, but since NH has an underfunded fish and game department, there's no money for them to bother about people mistreating the bears.

Weren't they also not paying taxes to the IRS?

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    A conversation I hate the idea of having to do for the first time but also get that I have to do it? Explaining to the minors employed at this place (highschool kids obviously) that sure, they're just trying to earn some cash to spend with their friends when they hang out so I don't hold so much against them when it comes to effort put into the job, BUT at the same time they have to understand that those of us that are adults working there rely on that job to have a roof over our heads. And it fucking sucks if someone is deliberately screwing the job up or otherwise making it harder on us. I can only imagine which of two reactions I'll get:
    - the reasonable minded kind
    - the "well now I hate you and am going to be vindictive" kind

I mean hey I get it. If they look at their phone more than they should, whatever, they're 17 or 18, whatever. I'm not that much of a tool / playing the role of straight-man on the job that I'm gonna give them grief for it. One kid in particular though, holy shit he just does not stay at his assigned station ever and actively resents being urged to get back to it - no matter how polite or phrased-as-a-favor you put it to him.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Wow, that article is fascinating. It's like a train wreck. My only disappointment is these people seem to have no introspection. Not one seems to have pondered that maybe--just maybe--their libertarianism is the problem.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    *Breathe*

Weren't they also not paying taxes to the IRS?

It sounds like it was only state and local taxes they were refusing and dismantling. Obviously they had no power to remove federal taxes.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Wow, that article is fascinating. It's like a train wreck. My only disappointment is these people seem to have no introspection. Not one seems to have pondered that maybe--just maybe--their libertarianism is the problem.

"And we would have gotten away with it, too. If it wasn't for those meddling bears."

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    NH is still mostly run at the municipal level by volunteers and town meeting. At a town this small, you realistically only need 20-30 motivated people to meaningfully change a town.
    That said - towns in NH inherit most of their powers from the state, so someone can tell them to cut the shit if they need to.
    Also - it has less than 1500 people in the town, so not like this is something impacting a significant number.
    Part of the fabric of NH is a reasonably high amount of municipal control, but it's truly a double edged sword.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    When I see articles like that, I sometimes search the URL on reddit to see some of the comments. This one was too good not to share.
    Pressed by bears from without and internecine conflicts from within,

Guarantee the author is still bitter that the editors wouldn’t let him keep “Pressed by ursine and internecine conflict...”

I'm not even the author and I'm kinda angry at it :P

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    A conversation I hate the idea of having to do for the first time but also get that I have to do it? Explaining to the minors employed at this place (highschool kids obviously) that sure, they're just trying to earn some cash to spend with their friends when they hang out so I don't hold so much against them when it comes to effort put into the job, BUT at the same time they have to understand that those of us that are adults working there rely on that job to have a roof over our heads. And it fucking sucks if someone is deliberately screwing the job up or otherwise making it harder on us. I can only imagine which of two reactions I'll get:
    - the reasonable minded kind
    - the "well now I hate you and am going to be vindictive" kind

I mean hey I get it. If they look at their phone more than they should, whatever, they're 17 or 18, whatever. I'm not that much of a tool / playing the role of straight-man on the job that I'm gonna give them grief for it. One kid in particular though, holy shit he just does not stay at his assigned station ever and actively resents being urged to get back to it - no matter how polite or phrased-as-a-favor you put it to him.

TBH that tack sounds pretty patronizing.

• Options
    Also, unless you're explicitly management, that ain't your job.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I am explicitly management now. We have a high volume of customer interaction and business for several hours in a row and we need everyone focused doing that. Even when down one person on staff we get pretty screwed over so we really do need all hands on deck doing what they're supposed to.

This one goddamn guy though. I don't understand how he works the hours he does while still being a minor. Like I guess he was pulled out of school and got his GED? Either way you're on the clock at work, so... work. I'm not saying people shouldn't talk / try to have whatever fun they can while on the job. I'm saying they also have to be doing the job. He doesn't. He literally just... wanders off once in a while, abandoning his task and sometimes we don't catch it right away so we fall behind in some way or another when we have to jump in while simultaneously try to get him back to where he's supposed to be.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Oh hey yeah so here's what ya gotta do

Fire him

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    I am explicitly management now. We have a high volume of customer interaction and business for several hours in a row and we need everyone focused doing that. Even when down one person on staff we get pretty screwed over so we really do need all hands on deck doing what they're supposed to.

This one goddamn guy though. I don't understand how he works the hours he does while still being a minor. Like I guess he was pulled out of school and got his GED? Either way you're on the clock at work, so... work. I'm not saying people shouldn't talk / try to have whatever fun they can while on the job. I'm saying they also have to be doing the job. He doesn't. He literally just... wanders off once in a while, abandoning his task and sometimes we don't catch it right away so we fall behind in some way or another when we have to jump in while simultaneously try to get him back to where he's supposed to be.

I'm also restaurant management. Your best bet is to put them somewhere that they can't vanish. I've got a couple of those but if I put them on main production lines they can't go anywhere because they don't have time for it.

Make sure to chat with them about how getting the orders out first needs to be the priority and work from there.

If they don't respond to gentle nudging to be more responsible for themselves or to low grade babysitting, you'll have to go to the manager tools that are much more patronizing. Like the anti phone policy that pretty much everybody has but isn't enforced. Utilizing disciplinary actions (writeups) for poor performance. Letting them know that if they dont improve someone else will get their hours.

Ultimately if you just let them do whatever, other people will notice and follow suit. Gotta foster a culture where everybody helps each other out or else work sucks for everybody.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Like I get kids are dumb, and a certain, tiny amount of leeway can be given what on account of their smooth brains and maybe not completely ossified skulls. But if I'm paying you to do a job you will do the job. If I say "I will give you x moneys for you to complete y tasks in z amount of time" then that is at minimum what I expect to happen. Even a tiny idiot baby can understand that. You don't do the tasks you don't get paid.

You've given this kid ample opportunity. He's not correcting his behavior.

Eliminate him.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Like I get kids are dumb, and a certain, tiny amount of leeway can be given what on account of their smooth brains and maybe not completely ossified skulls. But if I'm paying you to do a job you will do the job. If I say "I will give you x moneys for you to complete y tasks in z amount of time" then that is at minimum what I expect to happen. Even a tiny idiot baby can understand that. You don't do the tasks you don't get paid.

Eliminate him.

Shit, you better fire him before Juggernut puts out a hit on this poor kid

Jesus Juggernut, he's only a shitty worker, he didn't kill your dog

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

Eliminate him.

LegitimateCircularHornshark-max-1mb.gif

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

My libertarianism is just fine, it's other people's libertarianism that's the problem

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Moridin889 wrote: »

I'm also restaurant management. Your best bet is to put them somewhere that they can't vanish. I've got a couple of those but if I put them on main production lines they can't go anywhere because they don't have time for it.

Make sure to chat with them about how getting the orders out first needs to be the priority and work from there.

If they don't respond to gentle nudging to be more responsible for themselves or to low grade babysitting, you'll have to go to the manager tools that are much more patronizing. Like the anti phone policy that pretty much everybody has but isn't enforced. Utilizing disciplinary actions (writeups) for poor performance. Letting them know that if they dont improve someone else will get their hours.

Ultimately if you just let them do whatever, other people will notice and follow suit. Gotta foster a culture where everybody helps each other out or else work sucks for everybody.
    I've been in this line of work for a decade out the near 2 I've been working for a living. I know what to do with him and where to put him (he's just qualified to be register biscuit), but he won't... stay there. And for what it's worth my boss has the same trouble keeping the kid to stay still and focused.

I'm very recently promoted by the way so I'm trying not to do any harsh power flexes. I don't have the authority to fire him as someone suggested (besides there's someone else I would rather fire if I could), but I do have the authority to tell him to clock out and leave. It'd be a bad look though. And really not worth it; even if him being a body present at a basic position is met only half the time, it's better than having no body there. Not to mention the hoops I'd have to jump through about register / money counting horse shit.

Eliminate him.
    I largely get that the younger people are gonna screw around to some extent. For the most part they will stop on their own when customers and orders come up to get the job done. They still have other tasks they could and should be working on, sure, but if they're getting the primary thing handled then I'm not that bothered by having to explicitly tell them "hey can you go stock up (whatever)" even if it's something they should be doing on their own initiative.

I've got a different guy on the staff that is not only half-assing his position at our fryer, bulk-cooking things like crazy and producing a lot of food waste, but he jumps out of his lane into other positions and fucks up customer orders almost 100% of the time. THIS is a guy who is fucking things up on purpose. I mean, not with intent to get things wrong with the customer, but he is into the idea of doing things he is being told not to do. My boss is handling him though; I went in today to have a look at the schedule for this week and this fuck face is yet again working like 7 hours the whole week because he blew it last week (he had normal hours last week; for the two weeks prior, he was working 7 each). Hopefully this is the last chance he's getting to get his shit together.

That guy I described above is way more troublesome than the kid I came in here posting about. I mean again it's a 17 year old being 17 vs a guy that's I think 21 who is supposed to be helping his household income and is absolutely not having any respect for the fact he has a job in a weak-ass economy. I dunno if making that argument to him would get him to come around because I'm not sure he'd care or really get it.

I dunno. Both of them suck and I'm just blowing steam here I guess.

• Options
    Oh hey yeah so here's what ya gotta do

Fire him

Yeah, I'd give him maybe one more talk and make it clear that it's the last one. Lots of people looking for any job right now.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

My libertarianism is just fine, it's other people's libertarianism that's the problem

That's the thing about "personal responsibility" - when you aren't responsible with something you are supposed to be, it ends up affecting a lot more than just your person.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    *Breathe*

It's not a city. Population 1340. My town is bigger at 2000.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Yeah it's not a city until it has a population of, I think 10,000? Maybe 50,000, it's been a while since I played SimCity.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Gotta 86 him

So realtalk, can you send him home? Like, do you have the authority/permission, and and could you prevent it killing your shift's performance, etc?

When I worked in pizza that was my go-to. Anybody that got on my bad side got whatever side detail I knew annoyed them the most and sent home, basically as soon as I showed up. I had one driver that would always show up late with a 5 o'clock shadow. Uniform policy says clean shaven. He'd go homr and shave, now close to to an hour after his shift would start. I'd let him take one run, so maybe two orders, and when he got back I'd send him home. Thay happened at least once a week.

He was a dip shit that never got it, but also I didn't have to deal with him but for about 20 minutes.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I just fixed the last broken unit test on an application that hasn't had a clean unit test run since early 2017. It's just been there, low priority, like an itch you can't scratch, for 2 and a half years. Bothering me, at the back of my mind, unable to fix it the way it should be done, like an open, unfinished book I'm not allowed to read taking up space in my head. And now it's done.

And it

feels

damn

good.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    I just fixed the last broken unit test on an application that hasn't had a clean unit test run since early 2017. It's just been there, low priority, like an itch you can't scratch, for 2 and a half years. Bothering me, at the back of my mind, unable to fix it the way it should be done, like an open, unfinished book I'm not allowed to read taking up space in my head. And now it's done.

And it

feels

damn

good.
    Assert.true(true);

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Gotta 86 him

So realtalk, can you send him home? Like, do you have the authority/permission, and and could you prevent it killing your shift's performance, etc?

When I worked in pizza that was my go-to. Anybody that got on my bad side got whatever side detail I knew annoyed them the most and sent home, basically as soon as I showed up. I had one driver that would always show up late with a 5 o'clock shadow. Uniform policy says clean shaven. He'd go homr and shave, now close to to an hour after his shift would start. I'd let him take one run, so maybe two orders, and when he got back I'd send him home. Thay happened at least once a week.

He was a dip shit that never got it, but also I didn't have to deal with him but for about 20 minutes.

That uniform policy can go get fucked. What a stupid fucking thing to require.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Kitchen Manager piped up about a fuckup on the part of one of the bartenders, doing as he usually does: accusing me of the fuckup. I had my face away from him and was counting out wings for several different orders and pitched my voice at him like I was taught in the Corps: belly slack, throat relaxed, use your diaphragm, marine.

I was then accused of yelling at him and being abusive towards a 'superior' and then was told to 'go somewhere else if you want to show that kind of attitude.'

"Yo, are you firing me?"

"Whatever."

And so, I'm not certain if I got fired or if I quit because as I was leaving, I got questioned about wanting to leave ....

"Yes, I'm leaving, you just told me to leave."

"No, I didn't."

"Yes, you did."

"Well, why are you quitting?"

"I'm not, you just fired me, you told me to leave because you said that I was yelling at you even though I wasn't, I was pitching my voice so you could hear me from twenty feet away."

"I'm fine, whatever, just quit."

"I don't want to quit, but you just fired me. You told me to leave."

"No, I didn't."

"What is happening right now? Do you want me to work here or do you want me to leave?"

"Whatever, I don't care."

Joke's on him, I have a follow up interview tomorrow with a place around the corner; I'm going to sleep like a baby tonight because they already want me on deck. Sure, it's a little less per hour, but I'm not going to be three people at once.

This discussion has been closed.