As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[2020 ELECTION] THREAD OF WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FORK

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I mean, I guess it technically CAN mean to kill someone, in the same way that "get rid of" CAN mean to kill someone. But no sane person would draw that conclusion in good faith.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I mean, I guess it technically CAN mean to kill someone, in the same way that "get rid of" CAN mean to kill someone. But no sane person would draw that conclusion in good faith.

I see two potential avenues then for the Trump war room...

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Isn’t TrumpWarRoom the campaign’s official Twitter?

They’re really gonna get her killed.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    "86" has several possible origins on Urban Dictionary and Wikipedia, none of which involve killing people.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    If you work for the NY Post can what you do be said to be journalism?

When even NY Post writers won't byline something you know it's gotta be bad.

In a just world Rudy would be looking at a brevy of charges up to and including treason for playing international spy to interfere in the election. I truly hope everyone involved in this computer drop scam get the book thrown at them if Trump loses.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    It's always fucking projection.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    "86" has several possible origins on Urban Dictionary and Wikipedia, none of which involve killing people.

Cut the staffers some slack, they’ve only had a day or so to get it up there

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    At this point, every one involved with the Trump admin and campaign just needs to go to prison. This is reckless endangerment and instigation in an attempt to kill a political opponent.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Guiliani appears to be a Russian intelligence asset. With the ear of the President. And the CIA appear to be quite unconcerned, because he's the right party.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Guiliani appears to be a Russian intelligence asset. With the ear of the President. And the CIA appear to be quite unconcerned, because he's the right party.

What.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    That threw me for a loop there when numerology got involved because mentally the only people in that category for me are white supremacists.

But also christ, I hope they've updated her protection details because they really are all in on trying to provoke some terrorism.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

What.

Yeah, I'm guessing the CIA are actually pretty unhappy about it.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Well, when the president is a likely Russian intelligence asset...

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    I mean these leaks that Rudi is being investigated are coming from *somewhere*.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    That threw me for a loop there when numerology got involved because mentally the only people in that category for me are white supremacists.

But also christ, I hope they've updated her protection details because they really are all in on trying to provoke some terrorism.

It's not numerology, 86 is just old slang for getting rid of something.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    in restaurants 86 means take it off the menu, usually because you're out of it

the likely meaning is "Remove Trump"

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    in restaurants 86 means take it off the menu, usually because you're out of it

the likely meaning is "Remove Trump"

I mean (remembering a bunch of 90s sitcoms now)...that sounds like it makes way more sense?

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Yeah, I mean, regardless of "numerology" or other shit, there's no way those blocks are in the background by accident.

But saying "86" means to kill is....well, projection at this point.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I dunno why the guy who talked about walking down 5th Avenue, murdering someone, and still getting votes despite it, is bitching about that 86 thing. Even if that wild-ass definition of "it means to kill someone!" were true, it's like... so what? That's the playing field he's set up for years now and still plays on. He doesn't get to cry about anyone else using it, directly, unintentionally, or whatever else.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Let’s not miss the forest for the trees on the etymology or hidden meaning to “86,” and remember the larger issue is that the President’s campaign just accused a sitting governor of conspiring to assassinate the President. A sitting Governor that just had a plot against her foiled.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    As an Italian-American family with (into hidden microphone) many generations of completely legal and legitimate business activities I grew up with 86 as our version of "I brought you into this world and I can take you back out."

It is GLORIOUSLY ironic for Republicans to play this game after they've provoked actual armed assassination plots against MULTIPLE governors (Whitmer gets most of the attention but was one of several, Virgina was the other named target but there were supposedly four more after them).

Hevach on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    Something I wanted to note/point out: We're likely to get a bunch of new polls tomorrow and throughout this upcoming week, and this should be a really significant set of polling. If there's going to be late tightening in the race we should start picking up on it now, especially with all the early votes that are already getting banked. So, fingers crossed Biden maintains his lead and the race remains stable.

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    187 is the number for murder, 86 is to throw someone out.

And this is such small fries.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    As an Italian-American family with (into hidden microphone) many generations of completely legal and legitimate business activities I grew up with 86 as our version of "I brought you into this world and I can take you back out."

It is GLORIOUSLY ironic for Republicans to play this game after they've provoked actual armed assassination plots against MULTIPLE governors (Whitmer gets most of the attention but was one of several, Virgina was the other named target but there were supposedly four more after them).

It's not irony, it's literally an attempt to muddy the waters. "They say we incited violence, but LOOK, they do it to! Vote for Trump."

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    The hunter biden attack seems to be floundering, hard

Also regarding the person who DID get her byline in, she was hired as an editor from Fox News, and:
    Ms. Morris did not have a bylined article in The Post before Wednesday, a search of its website showed. She arrived at the tabloid in April after working as an associate producer on Sean Hannity’s Fox News show, according to her LinkedIn profile. Her Instagram account, which was set to private on Wednesday, included photos of her posing with the former Trump administration members Mr. Bannon and Sarah Huckabee Sanders, as well as Roger J. Stone Jr., a friend and former campaign adviser to Mr. Trump. (In July, the president commuted the sentence of Mr. Stone on seven felonies.)

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Fencingsax wrote: »

What.

Yeah, I'm guessing the CIA are actually pretty unhappy about it.

Trump was literally warned that Guiliani was a target of Russian intelligence operations to feed Trump misinformation.

The american intelligence community, from any story I've read connected to anything about Trump's administration, has been yelling at him about this shit all along.

shryke on
  • Options

It's not irony, it's literally an attempt to muddy the waters. "They say we incited violence, but LOOK, they do it to! Vote for Trump."

It's also a way to turning the "Look at all this alt-right dog whistles like the number 14 88 or the OK sign" against the Dems. Either all of that stuff is BS, or the Dems are guilty of it too.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    The 86 thing is hilarious to me because the only time 86 refers to fucking murdering someone is in old gangster movies

So the Trump campaign trying to make a big deal out of it trying to say that's what it means is just

*chef's kiss*

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I used the number 86 to let the cook know the customer didn’t want tomatoes.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

It's also a way to turning the "Look at all this alt-right dog whistles like the number 14 88 or the OK sign" against the Dems. Either all of that stuff is BS, or the Dems are guilty of it too.

Yes, the Dems are guilty of using memes to suggest voting Trump out of office and Trump Administration Officials are guilty of using memes to support genocide.

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    I used the number 86 to let the cook know the customer didn’t want tomatoes.

Yeah, that was literally what it said on the button on the computer system at multiple restaurants I worked in. There was a button labeled "Add" for adding ingredients, and a button labeled "86" for removing them. They even showed up on the receipt that printed in the kitchen as "86 TOMATOES" or whatever.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    86 something is throw it off the back of the boat and sink that garbage.

It's not ordering a hit.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    What's our party platform, Attack and 86 God?

• Options
    RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I dunno why the guy who talked about walking down 5th Avenue, murdering someone, and still getting votes despite it, is bitching about that 86 thing. Even if that wild-ass definition of "it means to kill someone!" were true, it's like... so what? That's the playing field he's set up for years now and still plays on. He doesn't get to cry about anyone else using it, directly, unintentionally, or whatever else.

As the saying goes, Trump loves to dish it out but he simply can't take it because he's so thin-skinned. Guy is the ultimate incarnation of Eric Cartman if he had been born into a wealthy robber baron family.

• Options
    zagdrob wrote: »
    86 something is throw it off the back of the boat and sink that garbage.

It's not ordering a hit.

That's deep sixing, innit?

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Trump really does assume the suburbs are exactly the same as in the 1950's
    President Trump: "Let me ask you, the women from the suburbs -- do you mind when we say housewives?"

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    It is kind of not amazing how much of a jackass Lara Trump is.

https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk-shows/521580-lara-trump-denies-mocking-joe-bidens-stutter-suggests-cognitive
    During an appearance on CNN's "State of the Union," the president's daughter-in-law, who serves as a senior campaign adviser, was pressed by Jake Tapper about an event in January during which she appeared to ridicule the way in which Biden speaks.

"Every time he's on stage and they turn to him, I'm like, 'Joe, can you get it out? Let's get the words out, Joe,'" she said on stage at the time.

She said on Sunday that she "had no idea" that Biden had ever struggled with a stutter and then suggested that his way of speaking was indicative of cognitive decline.

"I think what we see with Joe Biden, Jake, is very clearly a cognitive decline. That's what I'm referring to. It makes me uncomfortable to watch somebody on stage search for questions and try and figure out an answer."
    If you are involved in a campaign against Biden, the only way to not know about the stuttering is to be just plain bad at your job.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Apparently the GOP twitter account is trying to justify their statement by looking up the phrase "86'd," which is not the same word.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    It is kind of not amazing how much of a jackass Lara Trump is.

https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk-shows/521580-lara-trump-denies-mocking-joe-bidens-stutter-suggests-cognitive
    During an appearance on CNN's "State of the Union," the president's daughter-in-law, who serves as a senior campaign adviser, was pressed by Jake Tapper about an event in January during which she appeared to ridicule the way in which Biden speaks.

"Every time he's on stage and they turn to him, I'm like, 'Joe, can you get it out? Let's get the words out, Joe,'" she said on stage at the time.

She said on Sunday that she "had no idea" that Biden had ever struggled with a stutter and then suggested that his way of speaking was indicative of cognitive decline.

"I think what we see with Joe Biden, Jake, is very clearly a cognitive decline. That's what I'm referring to. It makes me uncomfortable to watch somebody on stage search for questions and try and figure out an answer."
    If you are involved in a campaign against Biden, the only way to not know about the stuttering is to be just plain bad at your job.

Even aside from the cruelty and lies, the hypocrisy once again is staggering. Trump has hours of tape screwing up words, slurring his speech, saying the wrong word, it’s just unbelievable. I’m so sick of these nincompoops

• Options
    RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    OremLK wrote: »
    I'm sure there is an element of "I just vote straight Republican every cycle" to it, but I don't see how that's an excuse, outside of extreme edge cases like you're in your 90s and your mind is half-gone and as a society we've decided to still let you vote.

Tribalism is a big part of it. People identify with a party, and the media encourages that. It's treated with the same level of criticism as who you support in football.

That's a big part of the problem, yeah. Folks who treat the election like a game and vote for the guy who can piss off the libs and make them cry the most because his policies don't really impact said voters directly.

And even if GOP policies are super detrimental to voters who aren't wealthy kleptocrats, they'd still gladly cut off their nose off to spite their face to help keep all these uppity minorities down and in their place.

The Boondocks made the bucket of crabs analogy and it's very apt for a lot of Trump (and Republican, in general) voters.

This discussion has been closed.