As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Boys]: The Thread (OPEN SPOILERS)

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Homelander's psychology is pretty simple. He'll do anything to be liked... apart from all the things that would just make him a likable person.

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Homelander's psychology is pretty simple. He'll do anything to be liked... apart from all the things that would just make him a likable person.

His entire life he has been told he is entitled to being liked. If his upbringing hadn't been so shit he would probably have been a pretty great dude. Instead he is the result of market research on building a person.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »

Man that's perfect.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I'd argue Homelander is just fundamentally lazy, but craves approval. He's never had to actually try at anything, because he's super-strong without trying and more or less indestructible. He doesn't even have to physically fight anyone because eye-lasers kill anyone below a supe instantly. He's the version of the early gifted child who never actually learns how to put in the effort, only for him the plateau is still "has superpowers".

He absolutely could have tried to get some people off the plane, for example, but since that would mean people would know he wasn't perfect, why bother - letting them all die means no one can blame him. He could have not eye-lasered the guy who shot the pilot, but it's his goto win-button. The fact that Homelander in the military just flies in and slices everyone in half is the same thing - there's no actual reason he needs to do that ever - he's bulletproof. He could individually walk up to and disarm everyone without ever being in harm's way...but that would involve putting in more the absolute bare minimum of effort.

Of course because literally none of this ever involves exerting himself, nothing he does is ever satisfying.

I suppose if he ever loses it completely - i.e. when he fantasized about eye-lasering the crowd - while he would definitely be able to kill a lot of people...I doubt it would actually be more then a few hundred in a crowded space. He'd go off like a bomb, and then just give up because actually sustaining that rampage would require effort.

electricitylikesme on
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Woo. So, me and Bulgarian girl just wrapped up Season 2 (after Season 1, I'm late to this party) and damn, this show manages to oscaillate between black comedy and feeling super heavy in an amazing way.

But damn - definitely the only show where after an episode I was like "I'm good, I need to digest that for a while".

Regarding the cliffhanger with not-AOC: hard to call. @Aegeri more or less nails it I think - she's totally an agent of Vaught, because we've seen Vaught having no problem running an anti-Vaught supe (Stormfront) against themselves to continue their core business. The thing I'm slightly more interested in is whether Vaught have some kind of anti-super countermeasure - the one thing I don't understand at all is how Edgar manages to not be terrified of Homelander. He's just..way too cool around him, whereas everyone else treats him looking at you as like having a loaded gun with the safety off in the hands of a toddler that it is.

Of course, the head exploding could be that countermeasure I suppose - the one big supekill was done the same way - they blew Translucent up from the inside.

Whats the point in him being scared? He lays everything out pretty clearly tgat hes doing his job. If homelander wants him dead there's nothing he can do about it, so why spend your time afraid of it? Look at Ashley, she's completely unfit for her job because she's terrified of being killed by any of the people she's managing.

Ashley is actively, correctly terrified of being killed by Homelander, who specifically threatened to do that to her. The thing about Homelander is that in aggregate you are mostly not in danger from him. But specifically, individually, you are definitely directly in danger from him. It didn't save Sitwell, very little seems like it would save anyone else.

Edgar might be playing the long game and just being a shrewd businessman, or simply playing the only correct role he can in all this...but it still doesn't seem like an A-level business asshole like him would really, truly, be comfortable having something out there which might actually be able to affect him like Homelander and he doesn't seem naive enough to believe he's actually untouchable. He absolutely would have at least a half-dozen secret projects running which ensured Vaught had a countermeasure.

Homelander killed Stillwell because Butcher showed Homelander that Stillwell was his weakness. And above all, Homelander cannot tolerate weakness. It's the same reason he deafened the blind hero.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I'd argue Homelander is just fundamentally lazy, but craves approval. He's never had to actually try at anything, because he's super-strong without trying and more or less indestructible. He doesn't even have to physically fight anyone because eye-lasers kill anyone below a supe instantly. He's the version of the early gifted child who never actually learns how to put in the effort, only for him the plateau is still "has superpowers".

He absolutely could have tried to get some people off the plane, for example, but since that would mean people would know he wasn't perfect, why bother - letting them all die means no one can blame him. He could have not eye-lasered the guy who shot the pilot, but it's his goto win-button. The fact that Homelander in the military just flies in and slices everyone in half is the same thing - there's no actual reason he needs to do that ever - he's bulletproof. He could individually walk up to and disarm everyone without ever being in harm's way...but that would involve putting in more the absolute bare minimum of effort.

Of course because literally none of this ever involves exerting himself, nothing he does is ever satisfying.

I suppose if he ever loses it completely - i.e. when he fantasized about eye-lasering the crowd - while he would definitely be able to kill a lot of people...I doubt it would actually be more then a few hundred in a crowded space. He'd go off like a bomb, and then just give up because actually sustaining that rampage would require effort.

Kripke in interviews has said he's apparently told the actor only one thing about Homelander in season 3 "Homicidal Maniac".

So I'm expecting them to have Homelander go entirely off the rails entirely.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    Heffling wrote: »
    Woo. So, me and Bulgarian girl just wrapped up Season 2 (after Season 1, I'm late to this party) and damn, this show manages to oscaillate between black comedy and feeling super heavy in an amazing way.

But damn - definitely the only show where after an episode I was like "I'm good, I need to digest that for a while".

Regarding the cliffhanger with not-AOC: hard to call. @Aegeri more or less nails it I think - she's totally an agent of Vaught, because we've seen Vaught having no problem running an anti-Vaught supe (Stormfront) against themselves to continue their core business. The thing I'm slightly more interested in is whether Vaught have some kind of anti-super countermeasure - the one thing I don't understand at all is how Edgar manages to not be terrified of Homelander. He's just..way too cool around him, whereas everyone else treats him looking at you as like having a loaded gun with the safety off in the hands of a toddler that it is.

Of course, the head exploding could be that countermeasure I suppose - the one big supekill was done the same way - they blew Translucent up from the inside.

Whats the point in him being scared? He lays everything out pretty clearly tgat hes doing his job. If homelander wants him dead there's nothing he can do about it, so why spend your time afraid of it? Look at Ashley, she's completely unfit for her job because she's terrified of being killed by any of the people she's managing.

Ashley is actively, correctly terrified of being killed by Homelander, who specifically threatened to do that to her. The thing about Homelander is that in aggregate you are mostly not in danger from him. But specifically, individually, you are definitely directly in danger from him. It didn't save Sitwell, very little seems like it would save anyone else.

Edgar might be playing the long game and just being a shrewd businessman, or simply playing the only correct role he can in all this...but it still doesn't seem like an A-level business asshole like him would really, truly, be comfortable having something out there which might actually be able to affect him like Homelander and he doesn't seem naive enough to believe he's actually untouchable. He absolutely would have at least a half-dozen secret projects running which ensured Vaught had a countermeasure.

Homelander killed Stillwell because Butcher showed Homelander that Stillwell was his weakness. And above all, Homelander cannot tolerate weakness. It's the same reason he deafened the blind hero.

That's a part of it, but I also think the whole "You're a lying liar who lies to me" thing got to him quite a bit as well.

Aegeri wrote: »

Kripke in interviews has said he's apparently told the actor only one thing about Homelander in season 3 "Homicidal Maniac".

I mean that's kind of already been true though. We've seen him go out of his way to kill people when he can. I think you're basically there when you're at "crush a guys skull and have sex next to the dead body".

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Stan Edgar doesn't need powers cause he's Lex Luthor in a world where guys like Luthor win.

Now, how well he can stand up against a Homelander with nothing left to lose? That remains to be seen.

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    okay, people at work have been talking about this, and I need to know, how is this different than the comics? Because the comics were awful. The way they talked about it made me somewhat interested, but I'm not watching an adaptation of that misogynist, racist dreck.

Edit: don't super care about spoilers, but I have not seen it at all.

Fencingsax on
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    okay, people at work have been talking about this, and I need to know, how is this different than the comics? Because the comics were awful. The way they talked about it made me somewhat interested, but I'm not watching an adaptation of that misogynist, racist dreck.

I've only read the wikipedia article about the comics, but the show's plotline is basically about capitalism working with fascists and evangelicals for profit and gaining political power in the US. Also they have superpowers. It's still very gory and splattery. There is still some sexual assault happening, I think twice, once as kinda in a Weinstein kinda way against Starlight and once against the Deep, the superhero who forced himself upon her. But the depiction of it is pretty much about how awful it is in both cases, the former one happening mot or less off screen.

I'm not saying it's all great, but jsut from skimming the wiki summary the show seems to depart from all the stuff that seems abhorrent. It still plays alot with the general grimdark "superheroes would be awful murderers in reality" shock value.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    All the stupid edge lord shit or just "Ennis doing Ennis shit" is gone.

The themes are updated and a lot more eloquently presented.

I'd tell you to give it two episodes and you would know it's for you or not.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

I mean that's kind of already been true though. We've seen him go out of his way to kill people when he can. I think you're basically there when you're at "crush a guys skull and have sex next to the dead body".

season 2 spoilers
    When Homelander started daydreaming about eye lazering the crowd, but they didn't show you at first it actual was him daydreaming... holy shit, I thought he really did it.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    Naphtali wrote: »

season 2 spoilers
    When Homelander started daydreaming about eye lazering the crowd, but they didn't show you at first it actual was him daydreaming... holy shit, I thought he really did it.

It's an interesting visual but I never bought into it because there'd be no way narratively back from it. Unless you're in the endgame of the show.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I think Edgar is gonna have some kind of a safeguard against homelander.

Since they've changed up the characters so much, I'm wondering what his weakness will be. I mean we know he can be damaged. If Stormfront and Maeve and Starlight can be hurt, so can he, it's just a matter of "what will it take"

are YOU on the beer list?
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Edgar is probably a supe. It would be the only insurance against a rogue supe tanking the company. It doesn’t protect against the next generation though, hence the risk of homelander 2 being what Edgar cares about.

That or homelander 2 was supposed to be his leverage.

wbBv3fj.png
    I hope Edgar isn't a supe. I just want him to be a banal evil, a regular bad person corporate executive who cares more about stock prices than dead bodies.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Comics (my Wiki understanding of them):
    Just because show Noir is not Homelander's clone does not mean there is not another Homelander under Vought's control. The facility Ryan was raised in might not have been built specifically for him.

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

All the over the top violence, none of the shitty edgelord stuff

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Just because show Noir is not Homelander's clone does not mean there is not another Homelander under Vought's control. The facility Ryan was raised in might not have been built specifically for him.
    do we actually know hes not?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    yeah the violence is pretty extreme less because edgelord and more because human bodies are being exposed to incredible destructive forces

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular

Since they've changed up the characters so much, I'm wondering what his weakness will be. I mean we know he can be damaged. If Stormfront and Maeve and Starlight can be hurt, so can he, it's just a matter of "what will it take"

He just has the same power that Maeve revealed over Homelander, just Homelander already knows that Edgar had that power over him from the conversation about his contract. Vought has the evidence that Homelander and others planted V for terrorists to get. They can always lay the blame at their feet and remove them. If they go on a rampage, that is then the military's problem. We've also already seen that Vought has contingency equipment for situations with the sonic devices at the end of season 2.

steam_sig.png
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    It was not Anthony Starr's mouth and jaw being exposed when Maeve Almond Joyed him?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    using ultraviolence is a stylistic choice in the comics and in the show, but the show does a better job with it; I haven't read all that much of the comic but you picture ennis writing with one hand and masturbating with the other. In the show it feels much less gratuitous; there's plenty of blood and guts but they use it to bring home the horror of the circumstances, rather than just for shock value.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    It was not Anthony Starr's mouth and jaw being exposed when Maeve Almond Joyed him?
    eh the skin is burnt and iirc noir in the comics looks like a deformed Homelander. I wouldnt regard it as solidly "its not him". They could just have easily used someone else so people wouldnt guess.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    eh the skin is burnt and iirc noir in the comics looks like a deformed Homelander. I wouldnt regard it as solidly "its not him". They could just have easily used someone else so people wouldnt guess.

Well, given
    the joke about the nut allergy was based on the real life nut allergy of the actor playing Noir, who is not Anthony Starr
    maybe not?

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I don't
    think Noir is Homelanders clone, since it was a shitty reveal in the comics and honestly I think Erick Kripke is better than that. It didn't work with the themes of the comic at all.

"It wasn't the supe you thought that did all those horrible things, it was his secret identical twin brother who did it! and he only did it to make his twin brother Homelander think he was going mad, thereby driving Homelander to do things that would give his secret twin brother Black Noir an excuse to kill him"!
    Nah, if anybody other than Butcher is going to kill Homelander, its going to be Ryan and its going to be because Homelander is being a cunt.

Edit: Ok Spoilered, but this is an open spoiler thread and the comic has been over for 10 years. There is a time limit on these things.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
    You should spoiler that

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    The comic and show are so different at this point, that I don't believe the comic is going to have much influence on specific plot points anymore.

The comic and show are so different at this point, that I don't believe the comic is going to have much influence on specific plot points anymore.

Yeah I very much enjoy that Kripke isn't doing a walking dead and being devoted to the source material.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular

it reminds me of Preacher, kind of loosely adapted but still hitting all the major story beats. the description for next season sounds straight from the comics more or less

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    This is an open spoiler thread for the show, but that doesn't mean it's OK to toss in stuff from the comic that may or may not be in future seasons of the show. Yes, the comic's been over for a while, but the show is adapting the comic, and no one knows exactly what they're going to take from it.

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular

He just has the same power that Maeve revealed over Homelander, just Homelander already knows that Edgar had that power over him from the conversation about his contract. Vought has the evidence that Homelander and others planted V for terrorists to get. They can always lay the blame at their feet and remove them. If they go on a rampage, that is then the military's problem. We've also already seen that Vought has contingency equipment for situations with the sonic devices at the end of season 2.
    the amazon x-ray commentary says that those were just Vought branded bluetooth speakers
    it was Frenchie who put out a speciic frequency that would be painful to supers with hyperacute hearing like homelander and his kid, it's not explained really how he would know this, but this was Frenchie, not Vought

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

the amazon x-ray commentary says that those were just Vought branded bluetooth speakers
    it was Frenchie who put out a speciic frequency that would be painful to supers with hyperacute hearing like homelander and his kid, it's not explained really how he would know this, but this was Frenchie, not Vought

I mean, Frenchie probably intentionally chosen Vought speakers to sow seeds of mistrust in Homelander when he inevitably found them (cause Frenchie thinks like that), but it's possible they're also the ones best suited for the job (because Frenchie uses the best tools for the job).

Side note, I know I mentioned it earlier, but the continual shitting on The Deep didn't let up for S2. I hate feeling bad for that character, but I do. Just unrelenting niggling dumping. As soon as the two were called in for a meeting with Dear Leader, I knew that A-Train was going to get the single spot that Edgar had promised, and there was definitely a pang of sympathy for Deep.

MorganV wrote: »

I mean, Frenchie probably intentionally chosen Vought speakers to sow seeds of mistrust in Homelander when he inevitably found them (cause Frenchie thinks like that), but it's possible they're also the ones best suited for the job (because Frenchie uses the best tools for the job).

Side note, I know I mentioned it earlier, but the continual shitting on The Deep didn't let up for S2. I hate feeling bad for that character, but I do. Just unrelenting niggling dumping. As soon as the two were called in for a meeting with Dear Leader, I knew that A-Train was going to get the single spot that Edgar had promised, and there was definitely a pang of sympathy for Deep.

The Deep's problems would go away if he actually gave up on wanting to be a member of the Seven. His actual abilities mean he could easily be gainfully employed as a non-hero and earn respect and acceptance. But - and it's very much the theme of the show - he's going to destroy himself chasing the fame and fortune, even though he's no reason to want it.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I never even considered that but yeah, The Deep could probably make more than the Seven combined by just get certified for underwater welding and demolition while doing fantastically overpriced sea creature tours on the side.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Also, you don't need to and shouldn't feel bad for Deep, no matter how sadsack his life gets.

He remains an unrepentant rapist.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    he could also have a very successful standup career by holding his gills up to the mic

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!

The Deep's problems would go away if he actually gave up on wanting to be a member of the Seven. His actual abilities mean he could easily be gainfully employed as a non-hero and earn respect and acceptance. But - and it's very much the theme of the show - he's going to destroy himself chasing the fame and fortune, even though he's no reason to want it.

He suffers from body dysmorphia. He is over compensating for feeling like shit because of his appearance, and he wants the acceptance that comes with being in the Seven. That's why he wants it.

He suffers from body dysmorphia. He is over compensating for feeling like shit because of his appearance, and he wants the acceptance that comes with being in the Seven. That's why he wants it.

He's also an entitled prick, and being "good" or "great" isn't enough, he has to be the best, and it's like something shitty I heard at a junior competition forever ago. "If you're good enough for silver, you're good enough to be disappointed". That's when I realized not having a father figure in my life growing up wasn't the worst thing, having a father like that was.

I don't want to feel sorry for him. And if he got absolutely smeared early on, I wouldn't have an issue (cause rapist). But he does seem to try, more than most, and it's mostly the actor I feel for. Sure, it's a steady paycheck, but being an asshole on camera is apparently a lot of fun, and being a hero too. But constantly being dumped on, especially given how people associate actors with their roles, is just, I dunno. Gives me twinges, is all.