As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Streaming Services] Cable Television for the Internet Age

• AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I mean it was a pretty obvious manifestation of her guilt? Just like Uncle Henry’s double? It was settled in the campfire episode?

I'm sure I'll get jumped on for "defending Netflix omg you're such a shill" but, I thought the last two eps were fine. Slow but not straight up garbage which is a hyperbolic ass take.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Aphostile wrote: »
    I mean it was a pretty obvious manifestation of her guilt? Just like Uncle Henry’s double? It was settled in the campfire episode?

I'm sure I'll get jumped on for "defending Netflix omg you're such a shill" but, I thought the last two eps were fine. Slow but not straight up garbage which is a hyperbolic ass take.

The problem with that:
    It doesn't make a lot of narrative sense to have her ex be this manifestation of guilt that appears for jump scares when all of the other ghosts that appear are real characters that interact with each other and actually impact the overall narrative. It's like putting a funny hat on a red herring. Personally I was hoping that her ex was going to somehow interact with the lady in the lake and somehow factor into the conclusion but I guess they just thought it would be a better idea to drop that thread completely. I still liked the series but found it a bit lacking compared to Hill House - particularly the ending.

• TarantioTarantio Registered User regular

The problem with that:
    It doesn't make a lot of narrative sense to have her ex be this manifestation of guilt that appears for jump scares when all of the other ghosts that appear are real characters that interact with each other and actually impact the overall narrative. It's like putting a funny hat on a red herring. Personally I was hoping that her ex was going to somehow interact with the lady in the lake and somehow factor into the conclusion but I guess they just thought it would be a better idea to drop that thread completely. I still liked the series but found it a bit lacking compared to Hill House - particularly the ending.

Did you not remember that in Hill House
    The older sister was haunted by the guy she cheated on her husband with?

That was a manifestation of guilt and the guy probably wasn't even dead.

With that context and the way she was reacting to it (actively covering mirrors, but otherwise avoiding acknowledgement and not acting as if it was a threat to her) I had it pegged as not actually a ghost from episode one.

I mostly thought that she would have been driving the car that killed him, from the reflection in his glasses.

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Is the new season of Fargo any good or is it the same shit as the last season?

Tarantio wrote: »

The problem with that:

Did you not remember that in Hill House
    The older sister was haunted by the guy she cheated on her husband with?

That was a manifestation of guilt and the guy probably wasn't even dead.

With that context and the way she was reacting to it (actively covering mirrors, but otherwise avoiding acknowledgement and not acting as if it was a threat to her) I had it pegged as not actually a ghost from episode one.

I mostly thought that she would have been driving the car that killed him, from the reflection in his glasses.

Sure, but that was a whole other series.
    I'm not saying they didn't handle it. I'm just saying they didn't handle it well. I think if you have to look at the previous, completely unrelated series, for context then it's not great story-telling.

edited October 2020

The problem with that:

That's only a problem if you think:
    He is a ghost. Much like Uncle Henry, the hauntings by Glasses/Clone aren't ghosts. It's a manifestation of their own personal demons. With Uncle Henry, the clone doesn't affect anything aside from the pressure that he puts onto Uncle Henry and forces him to drink. At first, I thought his double was his alcoholism manifesting, but he only begins to show up after his brother dies. They spell it out for you with Dani then reinforce it for you with Uncle Henry.

They are completely unrelated to the Lady in the Lake and the ghost story as a whole.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    After watching (and ultimately being a disappointed by Bly) we watched Before I Wake. I've also seen Oculus.

I think maybe Hill House was an aberration and Flanagan isn't a good writer. He definitely has some vision and is a good director, but might be better if he stuck to directing, maybe producing, and possibly "Story By" credits. There's a lot I like in all of his works that I've seen, but there's enough with the writing that doesn't work that it tarnishes the rest.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Is the new season of Fargo any good or is it the same shit as the last season?

I've been liking it, but it feels very different.

I think its doing the opposite point of view this season, Fargo is usually someones regular life that is invaded/creeped into by organized crime. And this season seems to be wholy organized crime that is creeped into by regular life. Maybe its because of cast, the last season kind of started pushing more in this direction I guess.

Beyond that, the slow boil is there, but much more in the regular context of a mob story.

Current episode:
    The way the father said 'I think she poisoned the pie', is he not sure it was her, or was his nonchalant phrasing because he expects that kind of treatment for having a mixed race family/child?

Is there more to the relationship of the irish kid and the head of the family? Or is it just that they know they can trust each other because of the assassination attempt? Sitting and having a strategy meeting felt quick. The way he spoke to him too felt very....strong? And he's clearly manipulating the boss.

steam_sig.png

The problem with that:

That's only a problem if you think:
    He is a ghost. Much like Uncle Henry, the hauntings by Glasses/Clone aren't ghosts. It's a manifestation of their own personal demons. With Uncle Henry, the clone doesn't affect anything aside from the pressure that he puts onto Uncle Henry and forces him to drink. At first, I thought his double was his alcoholism manifesting, but he only begins to show up after his brother dies. They spell it out for you with Dani then reinforce it for you with Uncle Henry.

They are completely unrelated to the Lady in the Lake and the ghost story as a whole.

re: Bly
    It just seems pretty fucking cheeky in a ghost story with actual ghosts to have one of those ghosts just simply not be a ghost. It basically amounted to being a vehicle for jump scares and little else. Him not being tied to the lady in the lake would've made things even more interesting - basically a commentary on the ghosts we carry with us and how they interact with the ghosts of places we go.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod

Yes, this is the problem with them.

There is a way to make this sort of allegory work in a supernatural context. See: The Babadook. But it requires a more deft blurring of the lines between the real and the spiritual than what Bly did.
    Ask yourself this: if you completely removed Dead Fiance and Evil Henry from the story, what would you lose? Literally nothing except some jump scares. These elements don't add context to the main story, they don't add to the primary theme at all, and they muddy the narrative.

It actually would've been kind of neat if they had given them an actually supernatural bent, and there had been something about Bly that caused your regrets to manifest as ghosts, or something. Instead it's just "Viola haunts the place, oh and also these two characters feel bad about some stuff for unrelated reasons."

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    edited October 2020
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Yes, this is the problem with them.

There is a way to make this sort of allegory work in a supernatural context. See: The Babadook. But it requires a more deft blurring of the lines between the real and the spiritual than what Bly did.
    Ask yourself this: if you completely removed Dead Fiance and Evil Henry from the story, what would you lose? Literally nothing except some jump scares. These elements don't add context to the main story, they don't add to the primary theme at all, and they muddy the narrative.

It actually would've been kind of neat if they had given them an actually supernatural bent, and there had been something about Bly that caused your regrets to manifest as ghosts, or something. Instead it's just "Viola haunts the place, oh and also these two characters feel bad about some stuff for unrelated reasons."
    ?

I would lose the reasoning for why Dani wanted to remove herself from the world with all of its many reminders of her fiance (i.e. her guilt) and why Uncle Henry doesn't want to go to Bly, because he got his brother and lover killed over his lovechild (i.e. his guilt).

They add to the main theme because it gets them to/from Bly and it involves the characters that are still at/from Bly's past?

I could get not liking their implementation or thinking that their appearances were "jump scarey", but to pretend like they're like a superfluous addition is just plain wrong?

Like are you also mad at the soldier ghost because he added nothing to the story and just lives there? Or any of the extra ghosts? They don't do anything.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
    Bly:
    The fiance and Evil Henry are completely different than the other ghosts, in that they aren't supernatural at all, and as far as I know, aren't even meant to be taken literally. Dani's is more "I can't stop thinking about my ex" and Henry's I'm not sure is even a thing he sees, but their respective characters don't seem to interpret them as actual ghosts at all.

So then, what is lost by communicating these regrets in other ways that don't muddy up the narrative in a misleading way? Nothing. Unless the point was to make you think these were actual hauntings to score cheap scare points.

Ultimately, it felt to me like the scene in a horror movie where you hear creepy noises outside, and the guy goes to check it out, and then a cat jumps out. It's kind of a cheap way to get a scare, but whatever, it was like ten seconds of screen time, that's fine. But this is like if they spent half the movie building up the scary noises developed an entire subplot around the noises and then you find out it's just a cat. And like... why did you waste all this effort on that?

As to the soldier ghosts or the kid, I'm not "mad" about it, but I don't think the show gained anything but runtime by showing you the origin story for literally every ghost in the house. "Viola killed a bunch of people and their spirits are trapped" is the only explanation you need, and I think it actually makes it less effective when they have to spell out everything.

Tl;dr: This show turned every iota of subtext into text, and every bit of implication into... umm... plication... and it suffered for it.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I actually wound up sort of enjoying Bly by the end of it, but I can agree with the criticism.
    If you're going to devote a whole episode to explaining that the source of the ghosts is Local Woman Literally Too Angry To Die - which in itself was probably unnecessary - it also feels real weird to then have a couple more ghosts that are just sort of... there? You might be able to smash it into a plausible set of themes but it doesn't really feel coherent with the narrative as presented.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    RickRude wrote: »
    Ok I’m all caught up on the Great British Bake thing. I need a new thing to watch/background. Suggestions?

Things I remember already watching:
    Parks and Rec
    Most of The Office
    Most or all of Star treks
    The Good Place
    New Girl
    Kim’s Convenience
    Trailer Park Boys
    NCIS
    Netflix Marvel
    Into the Badlands
    Ozark
    Magicians
    Black List
    Happy

Ok that’s all I can remember without doing a deep dive in Netflix watch list

End of the fucking world was really good and I'm pretty sure season 2 is coming out soon.

Seen it!

Googling looking for season 2 told me there was already a season 2 and a 3 on the way. I did not know this!

Have you seen season 2 and does it hold up to season 1? @Banzai5150 ? Thinking About starting this up soon. Especially since bly mannor seems to be getting negative thoughts in this thread.

RickRude on
    I think I understand your complaint, but I just don't feel the same way. It feels as though they are critical to the story. Agree to disagree. The show (like most Netflix shows) could've been trimmed down to tighten up the story though, I agree there.

Just to write some additional thoughts:

Dani:
    Her guilt is the entire reason she is at Bly and drives her to the relationship with Jamie.

1. Fiance she doesn't want to marry.
    2. Fiance dies, she is wracked by guilt that she sees in every mirror. This is a spooky scary show so her guilt is actually shown on screen. I would rather this than Dani occasionally just sobbing on the floor due to overwhelming emotion while somber music plays.
    3. She flees to Bly Manor hoping to escape that guilt (no distractions) > injects Dani into main storyline.
    4. She resolves her guilt by coming to terms with it with the help of Bly family + Jamie.
    5. End of side-story > continue living in main storyline.

Uncle Henry:
    His guilt is the entire reason he is NOT at Bly and overcoming it drives him (literally) to come to the defense of his daughter.

1. Love affair.
    2. Caught in love affair + love child.
    3. Death of love affair + brother.
    4. Guilt prevents him from visiting Bly and causes him to embrace drinking to either forget or just get through the guilt. His guilt is physically manifested but could easily just be interpreted as his internal voice. This is a spooky scary show so showing his dark twin is a fun twist on that. I would rather this than him just sitting in his office drinking while somber music plays.
    5. He is instigated by his own guilt to overcome it and be injected into the main storyline at a crucial point > dies > survives for the rest of main storyline.

Nothing. Matters.
    Fair enough!

On balance, I didn't HATE the show. The aesthetic was great, i loved the set design, the actors did really well, and I was totally on board through episode 7. Even at the end, I'm still glad I watched it. But while I understand (I think) what they were trying to do, I just don't think they pulled it off.

I did generally really dislike the narration, though. It rarely added anything, and it was often super clunky and distracted from the action. Especially in the penultimate episode. I honestly don't think the story needed a framing device, but if you're going to have one, it needs to be handled more gracefully.

I think I understand your complaint, but I just don't feel the same way. It feels as though they are critical to the story. Agree to disagree. The show (like most Netflix shows) could've been trimmed down to tighten up the story though, I agree there.

Just to write some additional thoughts:

Dani:
    Her guilt is the entire reason she is at Bly and drives her to the relationship with Jamie.

1. Fiance she doesn't want to marry.
    2. Fiance dies, she is wracked by guilt that she sees in every mirror. This is a spooky scary show so her guilt is actually shown on screen. I would rather this than Dani occasionally just sobbing on the floor due to overwhelming emotion while somber music plays.
    3. She flees to Bly Manor hoping to escape that guilt (no distractions) > injects Dani into main storyline.
    4. She resolves her guilt by coming to terms with it with the help of Bly family + Jamie.
    5. End of side-story > continue living in main storyline.

Uncle Henry:
    His guilt is the entire reason he is NOT at Bly and overcoming it drives him (literally) to come to the defense of his daughter.

1. Love affair.
    2. Caught in love affair + love child.
    3. Death of love affair + brother.
    4. Guilt prevents him from visiting Bly and causes him to embrace drinking to either forget or just get through the guilt. His guilt is physically manifested but could easily just be interpreted as his internal voice. This is a spooky scary show so showing his dark twin is a fun twist on that. I would rather this than him just sitting in his office drinking while somber music plays.
    5. He is instigated by his own guilt to overcome it and be injected into the main storyline at a crucial point > dies > survives for the rest of main storyline.

I know where you're coming from, I just don't think it really works all that elegantly.
    I think it works a bit better for Dani's story but not Uncle Henry. Uncle Henry isn't really responsible for anybody dying - his brother and wife just died in an accident on their trip. At least in Dani's case, her proximity to the death would likely cause some direct trauma.

Ultimately, I'm fine with what they did in the story. I just think they whiffed on a couple of opportunities to craft a really elegant narrative that incorporated everything we saw over the course of the show.

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Ok I’m all caught up on the Great British Bake thing. I need a new thing to watch/background. Suggestions?

Things I remember already watching:
    Parks and Rec
    Most of The Office
    Most or all of Star treks
    The Good Place
    New Girl
    Kim’s Convenience
    Trailer Park Boys
    NCIS
    Netflix Marvel
    Into the Badlands
    Ozark
    Magicians
    Black List
    Happy

Ok that’s all I can remember without doing a deep dive in Netflix watch list

End of the fucking world was really good and I'm pretty sure season 2 is coming out soon.

Seen it!

Googling looking for season 2 told me there was already a season 2 and a 3 on the way. I did not know this!

Have you seen season 2 and does it hold up to season 1? @Banzai5150 ? Thinking About starting this up soon. Especially since bly mannor seems to be getting negative thoughts in this thread.

To be honest I forgot there was a season 2 as I felt that the first season ended pretty well and couldn’t figure out how to make a season 2.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Watching Evil and I'm on episode 7:
    Seeing the closest thing this show has to a villain so far (Leland) actively coaching a nerdy-looking young guy to become a woman hating incel is painful to watch. I don't think Leland even believes all the misogynistic things he's drilling into the kid.

I'm really curious where they're going with Leland and what his backstory is. Is this guy actually a demon, or is this a mortal man who somehow became so obsessed with encouraging evil for its own sake that he became a psychologist just to learn how to make children grow into evil people?

EDIT:

Boy: "What next?"
    Leland: "You need a community. Here's an online community on 8chan. They call themselves the Incel Army. They share your feelings about women and want to put them into action."
    Boy: "What action?"
    Leland: "They want men to act like men. I've gotten you a temporary invitation into their circle. They have some interesting ideas."
    Boy: "Cool. Thanks."

Hexmage-PA on
  • Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    By the way, was there a discussion here about Devil All The Time, that flick on Netflix starring Tom Holland?

We watched it and I thought it was ok in a "boy people sure are assholes, aren't they?" kinda way.

My main criticism for that flick is the narration. The narration was not only not necessary, it actually detracts from the story! The ending shot of the film would have been WAY more affecting if the dopey narrator wasn't talking over the whole thing. I don't think the narrator added anything to the story that wasn't already obvious on screen, and I kinda felt like I was being talked down to.

It's like: "Do you see? He's real upset now! Can you tell? Well let me tell you, he was real upset in this moment"

I know, dad, thanks. I can see emotions.

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Are there any good, or at least inoffensive, not-to-heavy procedurals that started in the last few years?

Not necessarily police procedurals, adjacent stuff like Leverage is good too.

I'm running dry on TV for the 'half-watched background noise that's still entertaining' when I'm playing something that doesn't demand my full attention and thus need to keep the ADHD alt-tabbing at bay.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Some show called Away got cancelled by Netflix, it had Hillary Swank in it, I didn't even know this existed.

TexiKen wrote: »
    Some show called Away got cancelled by Netflix, it had Hillary Swank in it, I didn't even know this existed.

Away was actually not too bad. The space side of the story was compelling at the very least. I could've definitely done without the Earth side of the story though.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

Obviously clearing her schedule for a surprise cameo in Cobra Kai.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    I actually wound up sort of enjoying Bly by the end of it, but I can agree with the criticism.
    If you're going to devote a whole episode to explaining that the source of the ghosts is Local Woman Literally Too Angry To Die - which in itself was probably unnecessary - it also feels real weird to then have a couple more ghosts that are just sort of... there? You might be able to smash it into a plausible set of themes but it doesn't really feel coherent with the narrative as presented.

They're just saving everyone the hassle of going to youtube for the inevitable 3 million videos, "BLY ENDING EXPLAINED!".

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular

Away was actually not too bad. The space side of the story was compelling at the very least. I could've definitely done without the Earth side of the story though.

I enjoyed Away relative to the other near-future-space-exploration-sci-fi series that have come out in recent years. More of a story than the weird quasi-docu-drama-thing that is the Mars series. No bizarre religious tangents like whatever those two series that came out almost simultaneously a few years ago took. The human drama angles of Away varied between 'meh' (seriously, you couldn't put together a 6 person crew who don't all hate one another and the commander?) and 'why is any of this even here' (anything involving people on Earth). I was looking forward to watching them fumble their way through a second season but I guess I'm not surprised it's canceled.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »

They're just saving everyone the hassle of going to youtube for the inevitable 3 million videos, "BLY ENDING EXPLAINED!".

God I hate those videos, especially for shit that absolutely did not in anyway need an explanation. Like I've seen that for the fucking Boys. THE BOYS! There is nothing complicated in the boys narrative!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Yo, Rosebud is his sled as explained in this 42 minute video.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

I hate that shit

Rosebud being his sled is literally the opposite of the point. The whole movie is about how you can't sum up a person's life in a single word and trying is stupid.

nexuscrawler on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Can I watch Evil anywhere as a Canadian?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Can I watch Evil anywhere as a Canadian?

https://www.justwatch.com/ca/tv-show/evil

Looks like CBS All Access or buying it from Apple.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

God I hate those videos, especially for shit that absolutely did not in anyway need an explanation. Like I've seen that for the fucking Boys. THE BOYS! There is nothing complicated in the boys narrative!

I simultaneously hate that these videos exist and hate that for some people they are necessary.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

I hate that shit

Rosebud being his sled is literally the opposite of the point. The whole movie is about how you can't sum up a person's life in a single word and trying is stupid.

I thought the movie was about how being rich fucking ruled and solves all your problems. You know, like Scarface.

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

I simultaneously hate that these videos exist and hate that for some people they are necessary.

At the risk of being Old Man Yells At Cloud, I think they exist for the benefit of people who are too busy watching 40 minute youtube videos on their phone while "watching" a TV show/movie and so have no idea what just happened. So now they can watch a youtube video of clips of the thing they nominally just watched while they nominally watch something else.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
    Wasn’t surprised by Away from the reactions online “too much family drama AND their space stuff is not sciencey or spacey enough!”

I am still making my way through The Expanse so I never gave it a fair shot either.

Nothing. Matters.
  • eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Watching Evil and I'm on episode 7:
    Seeing the closest thing this show has to a villain so far (Leland) actively coaching a nerdy-looking young guy to become a woman hating incel is painful to watch. I don't think Leland even believes all the misogynistic things he's drilling into the kid.

I'm really curious where they're going with Leland and what his backstory is. Is this guy actually a demon, or is this a mortal man who somehow became so obsessed with encouraging evil for its own sake that he became a psychologist just to learn how to make children grow into evil people?

EDIT:

Boy: "What next?"
    Leland: "You need a community. Here's an online community on 8chan. They call themselves the Incel Army. They share your feelings about women and want to put them into action."
    Boy: "What action?"
    Leland: "They want men to act like men. I've gotten you a temporary invitation into their circle. They have some interesting ideas."
    Boy: "Cool. Thanks."

I'm on episode 8:
    I agree, that was a great/painful sequence. Assuming he's really a demon, seeing him leverage technology to drive people to evil is interesting. When Kristen uses the 'deepfake', he exclaims on the stand "Hey, that's my technique!". I think they are also pushing the theme with the AR goggles.

The one thing I don't like about the show is the uncertainty about demons being real etc. I mean, its pretty obvious that its going to be supernatural. Why do we keep having this constant 'well, it could be psychiatric...' ? I mean, if you're going down that road, you will never prove anything. And every time she says, 'well, this behavior has been described in psychiatry' it's like duh, if it was possession, how would the psychiatrists have described it before? Once you start believing in possession, then you have to call into question all the previous diagnoses.

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822

At the risk of being Old Man Yells At Cloud, I think they exist for the benefit of people who are too busy watching 40 minute youtube videos on their phone while "watching" a TV show/movie and so have no idea what just happened. So now they can watch a youtube video of clips of the thing they nominally just watched while they nominally watch something else.

I feel attacked

I feel attacked

A hit dog will holla as they say.

Here Tobes let me get you a youtube to explain that turn of phrase.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net

I feel attacked

Please provide in 5 minute chunks in a playlist to watch on smoke breaks

I feel attacked

Please provide in 5 minute chunks in a playlist to watch on smoke breaks

Turnofphrasesins coming right up!

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.