As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [GIF] thread is mourning Stephen Wilhite by arguing about pronunciation (nsf56k)

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    uyrKIM1.gif

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    "Oh no, that fire is going to melt the ice."
    *drives off into the building*
    "That's probably worse."

It's actually the smartest place for it to be.

Zamboni machines collect shaved ice in that front hopper of the machine. This then gets dumped into metal grates that allow it to melt, and there's a bunch of water in there to help melt and de-ice the machine. Often, the zamboni hangars like that also have doors directly to the outside of the facility.

The transmission fluid and oil that looks like FUCKING BLOOD is more terrifying... until you see the flames.

more than likely diesel!

non-taxed diesel is dyed red all over the world

both easy to identify, and it stains the fuel tank, so easy to see if somebody has been cheating and putting it in their car for road use

(also often called off-road diesel)

A LOT of hydraulic oils are also red. They're also more likely to ignite when exposed to heat like an engine exhaust manifold than diesel is (liquid diesel is surprisingly difficult to ignite!). Diesel is also much less viscous, and would likely spread out more behind the machine.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    yeah diesel pretty much requires a direct flame, and even then it's hit or miss

fuckin', the piece of shit water immersion boilers we had to use to run a field galley were meant to run on gasoline for that reason but nobody ever brought any when it actually came time to go Stupid Camping

Shorty on
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    "That's probably worse."

Zamboni machines collect shaved ice in that front hopper of the machine. This then gets dumped into metal grates that allow it to melt, and there's a bunch of water in there to help melt and de-ice the machine. Often, the zamboni hangars like that also have doors directly to the outside of the facility.

The transmission fluid and oil that looks like FUCKING BLOOD is more terrifying... until you see the flames.

more than likely diesel!

both easy to identify, and it stains the fuel tank, so easy to see if somebody has been cheating and putting it in their car for road use

A LOT of hydraulic oils are also red. They're also more likely to ignite when exposed to heat like an engine exhaust manifold than diesel is (liquid diesel is surprisingly difficult to ignite!). Diesel is also much less viscous, and would likely spread out more behind the machine.

I'm not so sure about the spreading out theory but otherwise yes

or, well, diesel isn't especially hard to ignite when you've got an engine that's something's very wrong with, just like, normally :P - but if it's the transmission fluid or something leaking out then that does offer an obvious explanation for why a bit of the zamboni is at two hundred C or something like that

man we shoulda been there we could have told them what's wrong with their zamboni, which I am certain they would have appreciated

ftOqU21.png
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    "That's probably worse."

more than likely diesel!

or, well, diesel isn't especially hard to ignite when you've got an engine that's something's very wrong with, just like, normally :P - but if it's the transmission fluid or something leaking out then that does offer an obvious explanation for why a bit of the zamboni is at two hundred C or something like that

man we shoulda been there we could have told them what's wrong with their zamboni, which I am certain they would have appreciated

After we put the fire out, I could have fixed it!

• ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    The Zamboni company are not happy with people calling the inferior, flaming Zamboni-type machine a Zamboni

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    "That flaming pile of shit, not us!"

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    my position on genericized trademarks is "fuck you for whining about winning the market"

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Wow, Zamboni is a manufacturer and not the name of the vehicle. TIL.

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    "That's probably worse."

more than likely diesel!

After we put the fire out, I could have fixed it!

oh I wasn't thinking I'd get up from my seat I'd just yell helpful diagnostic advice from the bleechers
    Shorty wrote: »
    my position on genericized trademarks is "fuck you for whining about winning the market"

although in this case I'm sympathetic to them feeling the need to point out that it wasn't their brand that caught fire

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

See also: Dumpster

Edit: and because this is the gif thread:

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I knew that one, Kleenex and Xerox are the big examples.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    A lot of people incorrectly say "drinking the Zamboni" when the actual ice rink at Jonestown was maintained by an Engo ice resurfacer.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    edited October 2020

Vice Grips, Kleenex, Wet Wipes, Sharpie etc. etc.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    The real sign you've won the market is when your brand name is used as the verb for the action it performs.

to hoover the carpet
    to google a question
    to superglue a break
    to photoshop an image

Vice Grips, Kleenex, Wet Wipes, Sharpie etc. etc.
    Band-Aid, Velcro.
    #pipe wrote: »
    to photoshop an image
    Excuse me, You mean "To Alter an image using Adobe Photoshop Elements(TM)"

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    The real sign you've won the market is when your brand name is used as the verb for the action it performs.

to hoover the carpet
    to google a question
    to superglue a break
    to photoshop an image

Thanks to another thread all I can think is

hoover the lawn

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Has sound, but also subtitles.

I love watching the gears turn towards the end.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I typically lead with 77 as better than 69, cause you get eight more.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Why is he camouflaging the trees?

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    To catch a cartoon bird of some kind, I imagine

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Man real life has really good particle effects

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

some poor animal is going to sprint headfirst into that tree

Prohass wrote: »
    Man real life has really good particle effects
    Yeah, but the ray-tracing is pretty poor. I mean, those reflections just aren't very impressive.

Thanks to another thread all I can think is

hoover the lawn
    Always vac your corg.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »

some poor animal is going to sprint headfirst into that tree

If I've learned anything from long years of watching cartoons, it's almost certainly going to be a coyote of some kind.

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Why is he camouflaging the trees?

to be able to see the forest

BLM - ACAB
    goddamnit

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I'm the first person you're the second person earlier today I was in the third person

Stop cursing start diversing

aTBDrQE.jpg

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    "Today is the day the baby elephants do not stop running and the day I lose my life"

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

what an absolute lad

The first bison in Banff since the 19th century.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    "Thank fuck! Land!"

How many did they release in total?