As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Let’s Do The Lockdown Again

• evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I, uh, just bought a 10kg bag of basmati rice. I live on my own.

Am I part of the problem?

Did you ensure that Brexit would be the worst possible fuckup it could be?

Of course I did. For the bantz. The cheeky, cheeky bantz.
    (I voted remain, like everyone else who saw this shit coming 4 years ago.)

You know there's a guy in my wow guild who is now a (probably) laid off air line pilot who voted for brexit "for the banter", those people do exist.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    jaziek wrote: »
    Right everyone, time to get your loo roll and pasta in again then.

Already stocked on those since I was expecting the second Covid wave panic buying.
    The Brexit will hit hardest on the fresh produce and we have no way of stockpiling those. :(

Do you have any space for growing things?

In all honesty, if anyone does want to grow some veg but worries their garden is too small - beans take very little ground space, will produce bucketloads, are easy to freeze or can be dried for long term storage, and are super good for you. Probably my number 1 recommendation if food is a genuine concern.

Edit: Obviously this doesn't help immediately but I tend to get my Brexit worries mixed up with my general mid-to-long-term-future anxiety

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular

Already stocked on those since I was expecting the second Covid wave panic buying.
    The Brexit will hit hardest on the fresh produce and we have no way of stockpiling those. :(

In all honesty, if anyone does want to grow some veg but worries their garden is too small - beans take very little ground space, will produce bucketloads, are easy to freeze or can be dried for long term storage, and are super good for you. Probably my number 1 recommendation if food is a genuine concern.

Edit: Obviously this doesn't help immediately but I tend to get my Brexit worries mixed up with my general mid-to-long-term-future anxiety

Any particular type of beans?

• Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Jazz wrote: »

Do you have soy sauce to go with it?

Can't make chicken fried rice without soy sauce.

To bring things back on topic, has there been any analysis of Bojo calling off talks with the EU? Anything to suggest that it's more than the usual brinkmanship followed by a last-minute capitulation?

Red or Alive on
  • OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

Technically we have a small garden, but a lot of our plans for it got derailed during the first pandemic wave and then once I messed up my knee.
    Long-term if the worst happens, my grandparents owned what is basically an estate back in very rural part of Croatia which is one of the places I would least like to go back to, but it has a big house, a large orchard and an overgrown old vegetable garden.

Edit: Right now, the biggest concern is getting through the winter while recovering from knee surgery and we'll see what happens after that.

OldSlacker on
    edited October 2020
    Jennifer Arcuri admits to affair with Boris Johnson.

In other revelations, water is wet.

Jazz on
    Jazz wrote: »

Do you have soy sauce to go with it?

Can't make chicken fried rice without soy sauce.

To bring things back on topic, has there been any analysis of Bojo calling off talks with the EU? Anything to suggest that it's more than the usual brinkmanship followed by a last-minute capitulation?

afaik it's more of the same with a different coating of paint.
    he hasn't walked away like he said he would, he's left an opening for negotiations but it's all up to the EU because, as you might know, the UK cba keeping its promises.

I'd prepare for a no deal because let's face it, that was the only ever valid outcome for this.
    Alexander the Flaccid will do his best to put on a show the next two months but that's about it imo.

• Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Red or Alive on
    There will be adequate shortages.

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I keep looking at the New Zealand election results with great envy....

The contrasts between Jacinda Ardern and Boris Johnson are very stark.

I wonder what it's like to live in a country with a sane functional government? They're rejoicing in electing a left leaning government with an excellent track record in tackling Covid and we're over here planning for possible food shortages....

SharpyVII on
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular

Heh.
    Allan insisted there was no need for the public to stockpile, “but there may be some things we have to learn to do without for a few weeks, possibly a few months after Brexit,” he said.
    Sounds like we may need to stockpile some things.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    I keep looking at the New Zealand election results with great envy....

The contrasts between Jacinda Ardern and Boris Johnson are very stark.

I wonder what it's like to live in a country with a sane functional government? They're rejoicing in electing a left leaning government with an excellent track record in tackling Covid and we're over here planning for possible food shortages....

it's unfair to blame the UKs failures solely on the institutions that run it.
    A lot of people voted for Cameron and loads voted for Boris (I realise that Corbyn being as desirable as genital warts played a significant part but still).
    It's trite, but you reap what you sow.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

Heh.
    Allan insisted there was no need for the public to stockpile, “but there may be some things we have to learn to do without for a few weeks, possibly a few months after Brexit,” he said.

Cue the tabloids whipping up a frenzy about with pictures of people who could just as easily be doing their Big Shop

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Most people didn't though.

• altidaltid Registered User regular
    Food shortages outside of a natural disaster in a prosperous western country should be an immediate resignation matter. Even the possibility of it should be enough to force a government out. Doing it on purpose should be criminal. After all, food shortages historically become a hanging matter if they go on long enough.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    'Every society is three meals away from chaos.'

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    So my wife is pregnant and due in a weeks time. We live in London and I'm not sure how we are going to cope without the support of our familys. Original plan was for her mum to come stay with us for a couple of days. Don't think that can happen legally now! According to the rules our family can only see the baby outdoors?

I'm not handling this news well.

May be worth moving in full time if you can swing it. Your child isn’t likely to be harmed with more adults being around

wbBv3fj.png
    We've learned a lot, I bet we can cut that down to two.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    We've learned a lot, I bet we can cut that down to two.

Your (and our) current baseline state is a lot closer to chaos, so yeah.

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular

Heh.

So exactly what was predicted before, what with the food shortages and probably medicine and medical supply shortages, just also with a pandemic on?

You should absolutely stockpile.

I have in fact stockpiled an adequate supply of jam. Not sure about the other stuff, though.

• TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    altid wrote: »
    Food shortages outside of a natural disaster in a prosperous western country should be an immediate resignation matter. Even the possibility of it should be enough to force a government out. Doing it on purpose should be criminal. After all, food shortages historically become a hanging matter if they go on long enough.

It's not food shortages, it's just going to be some stuff isn't available. Like how cardomons disappeared for a good two months from the shops during the lockdown, and a few other select items.
    There will be adequate food, you just won't be able to get what you want.

Still ludicrous, but it'll be a lot of recipes for tinned veg and post war recipes on the relentlessly positive TV shows that air at the time.

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    I wonder what's going to happen to stores like Lidl and Aldi? They're just going to be completely fucked. I genuinly like those stores but nearly all their stuff is imported and no one is going to shop there anymore when every item becomes 20% more expensive overnight. They're just the tip of the iceberg I guess. I don't think the true extent of this political arson will become clear until it happens.

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    I wonder what's going to happen to stores like Lidl and Aldi? They're just going to be completely fucked. I genuinly like those stores but nearly all their stuff is imported and no one is going to shop there anymore when every item becomes 20% more expensive overnight. They're just the tip of the iceberg I guess. I don't think the true extent of this political arson will become clear until it happens.

Yep, and politicians are still allowed to spout "Australia terms" bullshit in the media unchallenged when fucking Afghanistan has more deals with the EU than Australia.

• AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular

I don't think the public understand the modern miracle of fresh veg in winter, of bananas in the store year round. Of the logistics of the massive supply chains that fuel our modern society.
    And that's honestly completely fine and understandable.
    But now our leaders don't understand, or don't care. They don't seem to connect the dots to the society we have now and these chains.

Good luck getting tomatoes in january when the lorrys have to sit in customs for several days due to no planning. How many do you think will rot in those lorrys?

I found this, and frankly it terrifies me.
    https://www.pma.com/~/media/pma-files/research-and-development/unitedkingdom.pdf?la=en

Potatoes are going to be fine I guess?
    Celery? Lettuce? Cauliflowers? no.

It's not just supermarkets that get these, think bigger, sandwich factories, frozen meals, they still need this.
    Brexit was always going to hurt but the fact they are building a lorry park to solve a throughput problem indicates they do not understand the issue at all.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
    Aldi & Lidl is an interesting one - Aldi in particular are still aggressively expanding with a lot of new stores planned and revamps of existing ones. And there is no way their higher-ups haven't weighed up Brexit problems and worst case scenarios, surely? As best they can, anyway...

I don't think the true extent of this political arson will become clear until it happens.

I think that is very true. There will be things we haven't even contemplated that will come up, let alone the shit we do know.

• VermillionPeaceVermillionPeace Registered User regular
    How many do you think will rot in those lorrys?

None if they are canned. But in any case getting strawberries in January [they are grown in Peru] and vegetables out of season is one of things responsible for vast environmental damage. Really we should get away from that kind of thinking anyway. The UK will not run out of food, supermarkets do not get their bananas from the EU and having a Californian red instead of an Italian one will not break the bank.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

None if they are canned. But in any case getting strawberries in January [they are grown in Peru] and vegetables out of season is one of things responsible for vast environmental damage. Really we should get away from that kind of thinking anyway. The UK will not run out of food, supermarkets do not get their bananas from the EU and having a Californian red instead of an Italian one will not break the bank.

The post specified fresh which sort of rules out canned. :P

All imports will be delayed, not just EU imports. You can't add that much extra traffic and not have that happen. That's not counting the other problems like the UK suddenly not having any of the trade advantages with the other countries the EU does.

edited October 2020
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    All imports will be delayed, not just EU imports. You can't add that much extra traffic and not have that happen. That's not counting the other problems like the UK suddenly not having any of the trade advantages with the other countries the EU does.

Ports like Felixtowe have indeed upgraded to take extra traffic.

Port of Felixstowe eyes more ro-ro traffic post-Brexit

VermillionPeace on
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Ports like Felixtowe have indeed upgraded to take extra traffic.

Port of Felixstowe eyes more ro-ro traffic post-Brexit

Doesn't help if you don't have the customs capacity to clear the incoming freight.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

Depends what you replace it with. I'm in Norway. An apple grown in New Zealand (literally as far away as it's possible to get and still be able to grow apples) releases (including transportation) less CO2 per calorie than any meat grown on the farm five minutes walk away from me (there is literally one). (Locally grown apples can be gotten about 1–2 months per year.)

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    Depends what you replace it with. I'm in Norway. An apple grown in New Zealand (literally as far away as it's possible to get and still be able to grow apples) releases (including transportation) less CO2 per calorie than any meat grown on the farm five minutes walk away from me (there is literally one). (Locally grown apples can be gotten about 1–2 months per year.)

Now imagine New Zealand lamb :D

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    one of the stupidest things right now is that trade associations arent speaking about the shitness of the likely deal we get with the eu because they are so afraid of no deal they are having to focus their energy on that

but almost all the problems imagined for no deal apply in a thin deal situation...

obF2Wuw.png
    Now the question is how long until we break international law in a specific and limited way like we swore we weren't going to do but desperately needed the power to do? My guess is March.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I mean, isn't the whole "limited and specific" thing about breaking international law?

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Now the question is how long until we break international law in a specific and limited way like we swore we weren't going to do but desperately needed the power to do? My guess is March.

January 1st, unless the government gets it's act in gear and borders up between NI and the rest of the UK.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    If we end up with no deal and no agreements will we be breaking any laws? Genuine question, I have no idea how this works. My understanding was no deal was throwing everything in the bin, starting from scratch and making it all up as we go along.

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    The government has committed to the arrangements set out in the withdrawal agreement whether or not there is an eventual trade deal

The provisions in relation to customs and borders as they pertain to NI are there specifically to address the situation where no trade deal is agreed - this point was specifically insisted upon by the EU, the UK didn't want them. The idea is that even in the worst case scenario there wouldn't be a requirement for border infrastructure on the island of Ireland because both sides have committed to an arrangement that avoids that.

The rationale of the UK government in signing up to them was that they would never have to be implemented because they would be superseded by a trade deal

The problem with the Internal Market Bill is that it basically says that the UK government has no intention of implementing or adhering to the customs arrangements for NI that it agreed to in the withdrawal agreement

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    If we end up with no deal and no agreements will we be breaking any laws? Genuine question, I have no idea how this works. My understanding was no deal was throwing everything in the bin, starting from scratch and making it all up as we go along.

we wont end up with no deal and no agreements because, in practice, what we are heading for is a very very "thin" deal - and then a series of desperate negotiations for piecemeal fixes of the most obviously disastrous elements (partly because some of this stuff is things like coordination and standards issues that aren't really that contentious)

obF2Wuw.png
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

we wont end up with no deal and no agreements because, in practice, what we are heading for is a very very "thin" deal - and then a series of desperate negotiations for piecemeal fixes of the most obviously disastrous elements (partly because some of this stuff is things like coordination and standards issues that aren't really that contentious)

Notwithstanding the non-contentious nature of some of it, I'm still kind of blown away by the number of people who aren't really grasping how significant a lot of this stuff is, and that the problems generated by knocking all of the existing regulatory infrastructure away get really complicated, really fast

Like, Reporting Scotland had a piece on exporting potatoes the other day, because it's a big market for Ayrshire and most of their production goes to the EU. As things stand, growers don't know that they will be able to state as of January the 1st whether their product has been produced according to the relevant EU standards. Technically they have, because the regulatory agencies in the UK enforce standards aligned to the EU's. But if those regulatory agencies are no longer recognised by the EU, it isn't clear whether the growers can produce the evidence required to satisfy the resultant phytosanitary checks that the potatoes are now subject to. In principle a grower could, whatever the regulatory regime in the UK, continue to produce according to EU standards - but there's no guarantee that any EU body will recognise that, especially given that there would be no mechanism of recourse or enforcement for that body absent an agreement to implement that in domestic law (such as through a trade agreement).

Even if there is relatively rapid agreement on things like this, there's still a lot of scope for timing issues to put a lot of companies out of business while they wait for recognition to kick in.

japan on
This discussion has been closed.