As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Read a [book].

3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheeseRegistered User regular
edited May 2022 in Social Entropy++
Seriously you can just go take them from a library they can't even stop you really

DJ Eebs on

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Yes, come to the library! You can take any book you want, and you don't even have to pay!

With...money.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    You know I can't fucking read

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    You know I can't fucking read

But then who was phone?!

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    no

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Understandable have a nice day

• Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    I already have some library books. Can you believe they just let me take them??

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    I already have some library books. Can you believe they just let me take them??

Hahaha those suckers!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Got theories on this 3rd character in timw war
    Inquisition
    3rd strand
    Their future offspring
    third version of the same person

• AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    I read it one month ago, in a week when it was released, but I did not discuss Trouble with Peace by Joe Abercrombie, so, well, here are my thoughts:

Good book, but I liked A Little Hatred slightly more. I was kinda disappointed with a relatively low scope of the main plot here, but then I learnt that this is not meant to be an ending to the story being told by the author about this world, so I am more forgiving now.

Individual plot lines:
    Orso: the nicest character in the book, so I am rightfully concerned that he may be killed in a third book by a coming revolution, considering how he dislikes executions. On the other hand, while Abercrombie is very cynical, he is rarely mean spirited towards his protagonists, so I want to belive that he will somehow survive, if only for a fact that he allowed Leo to live, so karma should be on his side there. Speaking of which:

Leo: my most hated character in the book. Well written idiot, but still an idiot, which made reading about him sometimes difficult. He was well intentioned, but so, so easy to manipulate, that I was very often facepalming. At some point stupidity needs to stop being forgiven, and Leo had all the opportunities in the world to stop repeating his mistakes, and yet he was always commiting them again and again, despire often thinking on how his mother / Glaward are always right. I would not cry if the died at the end, but oh well, I can only hope that his survival will mean something anyway.

Savine: okay, she is pretty much irreedemable now, throwing all she had away just to help the idiotic rebellion of her dumb husband, even though winning it would mean death of the love of her life, and also her brother, not to mention she betrayed Rikke without a second thought. She is Cersei of this series, scheming character that is definitely not as smart as she think she is. Fuck you, Savine.

Rikke: she had nice arc, although I wonder if her successes did not come too easily.

Clover: his sudden, but inevitable betrayal towards Stour came sooner that I expected, which makes me wonder what awaits him in books 3. We still do not know his full backstory, so I wonder if it will become in any way relevant or not.

Vick: she did not have much screen time in a middle of a book, but she still was more itneresting in the first book - she is pretty much Glokta of this trilogy when it comes to the role she plays in the plot, so I wonder how much will she contrast him in the third book.

Broad: forgettable, he is definitely the weakest of all new protagonists.

Other: as some predicted, Pike is behind The Breakers, but I would bet that he is still working with Glokta, who is behind The Burners, and together they oppose Bayaz by the means of revolution. Glokta went out of picture too easily, and I find it hard to belive that he worked with Pike for a last 30 years and that he would not notice his betrayal, which makes me think they are both together in this.

Also, Tolomei escaped House of Maker and is Savine's young rival.

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I ain't no fuckin nerd

Yeah just a regular, non-fucking nerd

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Don't mind me I'm just gonna go lay down and die from my wounds

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Just finished up Roadside Picnic, I liked it quite a bit! I enjoyed Stalker the one time I watched it, but I’d love to see a more faithful adaptation, maybe a limited series on HBO.

04xkcuvaav19.png
    Finished This is hiw you lose the time war. Went differently than i expected and made good use of time travel.

The seeker was a surprise and I enjoyed it.
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    Just finished up Roadside Picnic, I liked it quite a bit! I enjoyed Stalker the one time I watched it, but I’d love to see a more faithful adaptation, maybe a limited series on HBO.

Yes. Shit, one word from that book, one word.......

Monkey

• shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    I’ve read 3 and 1/2 books in 2020 and I dare anyone here to try and prove otherwise

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    What is book?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    so I commissioned an artist I adore to sketch me my own Ex Libris

and I wondered what should be in it, considering

and so I figured: the first book I ever bought for myself and read through completely: Dune

and the book series that most influenced me: Terry Pratchett's Discworld

and gang, she hit it out of the damn park

0ra1ylxz7p5v.png

you bet your ASS I'm going to put this on a fancy wooden stamp and go through my entire library with it

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Why do people write their names in books?

• ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    In case of future bouts of amnesia.

Because it would be pretty weird to write somebody else's name in your books.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    What is an ex libris?

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    What is an ex libris?

Also known as a bookplate, these are stamps or stickers that indicate ownership

Can be rather handy if you habitually lend out books to people who may not be terrific at returning them.

Historically they were important for confirming provenance, nowadays they are more of a quirky novelty item.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Man, now I want an ex libris.

steam_sig.png
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Oh wait I meant to share this one: http://50watts.com/search/ex libris

Same blog owner but the better list of bookplates

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I hadn't heard this - and it's because the obit only came out this week, because of COVID delays - but Susan Ellison, the wife of SF writer Harlan Ellison, died in August at age 60. (obit here)

From J. Michael Straczinski, creator of Babylon 5:
    Ever since the passing of Susan Ellison there has been endless speculation about what will happen to Harlan's estate and his legacy. Every day, the voicemails, texts and emails pile up at my front door, passing on the latest rumor, growing to fever pitch.

“Didja hear? The house is gonna be sold!”

“Didja hear? The house is gonna be torn down!”

“Didja hear? All of Harlan’s stories and IP have been sold to Paramount for next to nothing to pay off debts!”

“Didja hear? The State of California has appointed an executor who’s gonna auction it all off!”

“Didja hear? Didja hear?”

When I told whoever was bearing the latest wild story that it WAS just a wild story, and nothing more, they would grow irate, claiming in each instance to have gotten the news directly from someone who knows the executor of the estate. A solid , for-sure, no-kidding-around source who was in a MUCH better position than me to know what was REALLY going on.

“How do YOU know what the deal is, huh? My guy talked to the executor just yesterday, who told him this straight-up. How do YOU know better than HE does?”

How do I know better? How do I know these are just rumors?

Because I am the Executor of the Harlan and Susan Ellison Trust.

I’ve kept a low profile since accepting this position in order to focus on of the million-and-one details that have to be addressed. I don’t know if anyone reading this has ever been appointed an executor, but it is a massive undertaking. To be an executor is to inherit nothing but be responsible for everything, and to implement the last wishes of those who entrusted you with the totality of their life’s work. Consequently, ever since Susan’s passing, 80% of my day, every day, has gone into establishing the Trust, dealing with tax issues, creditors, court documents, lawyers, accountants, affidavits, death certificates, corporate minutes…in simpler cases, the process only takes a few months, and usually ends by parceling out bequests or auctioning off the estate.
    But that is not the case here, because there is the legacy of Harlan’s work that must be preserved and enhanced. Looking after all this, and seeing to Harlan and Susan's wishes, is something I will likely be doing for the rest of my life.

Everything that Harlan ever owned, did or wrote will be fiercely protected. Steps are being taken to certify Ellison Wonderland as a cultural landmark, ensuring that it will remain just as it is long after I have gone to dust.

To revive interest in his prose, literary representation has been shifted to Janklow & Nesbit, one of the largest and most prestigious literary agencies in the world. Film and TV rights will be handled through A3, previously known as the Abrams Agency, also a leading and influential agency. I will be working hand in glove with them to get Harlan’s work back into print in a big way.
    There is more to say on future plans – much more – but all of that will come in time.

For over thirty years, Harlan Ellison was my dearest friend on the planet. Those of you who know me, know how important he, and Susan, and his work, were to me. As a beginning writer, long before we ever met, I looked to him for inspiration and the courage to keep going. Once we became friends, I had a very simple philosophy: whatever he needed done, I would make sure it happened. I would’ve stepped in front of a bus for him, and he knew it, just as he knew that out of the thousands of people he’d met in his life, he could trust me to make sure that his and Susan's last wishes were attended to, and that his legacy would be protected.

That’s all for the moment, but as they say in TV Land, stay tuned…for there is more to come.

rRwz9.gif
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I hadn't heard this - and it's because the obit only came out this week, because of COVID delays - but Susan Ellison, the wife of SF writer Harlan Ellison, died in August at age 60. (obit here)

From J. Michael Straczinski, creator of Babylon 5:
    Ever since the passing of Susan Ellison there has been endless speculation about what will happen to Harlan's estate and his legacy. Every day, the voicemails, texts and emails pile up at my front door, passing on the latest rumor, growing to fever pitch.

“Didja hear? The house is gonna be sold!”

“Didja hear? The house is gonna be torn down!”

“Didja hear? All of Harlan’s stories and IP have been sold to Paramount for next to nothing to pay off debts!”

“Didja hear? The State of California has appointed an executor who’s gonna auction it all off!”

“Didja hear? Didja hear?”

When I told whoever was bearing the latest wild story that it WAS just a wild story, and nothing more, they would grow irate, claiming in each instance to have gotten the news directly from someone who knows the executor of the estate. A solid , for-sure, no-kidding-around source who was in a MUCH better position than me to know what was REALLY going on.

“How do YOU know what the deal is, huh? My guy talked to the executor just yesterday, who told him this straight-up. How do YOU know better than HE does?”

How do I know better? How do I know these are just rumors?

Because I am the Executor of the Harlan and Susan Ellison Trust.

I’ve kept a low profile since accepting this position in order to focus on of the million-and-one details that have to be addressed. I don’t know if anyone reading this has ever been appointed an executor, but it is a massive undertaking. To be an executor is to inherit nothing but be responsible for everything, and to implement the last wishes of those who entrusted you with the totality of their life’s work. Consequently, ever since Susan’s passing, 80% of my day, every day, has gone into establishing the Trust, dealing with tax issues, creditors, court documents, lawyers, accountants, affidavits, death certificates, corporate minutes…in simpler cases, the process only takes a few months, and usually ends by parceling out bequests or auctioning off the estate.
    But that is not the case here, because there is the legacy of Harlan’s work that must be preserved and enhanced. Looking after all this, and seeing to Harlan and Susan's wishes, is something I will likely be doing for the rest of my life.

Everything that Harlan ever owned, did or wrote will be fiercely protected. Steps are being taken to certify Ellison Wonderland as a cultural landmark, ensuring that it will remain just as it is long after I have gone to dust.

To revive interest in his prose, literary representation has been shifted to Janklow & Nesbit, one of the largest and most prestigious literary agencies in the world. Film and TV rights will be handled through A3, previously known as the Abrams Agency, also a leading and influential agency. I will be working hand in glove with them to get Harlan’s work back into print in a big way.
    There is more to say on future plans – much more – but all of that will come in time.

For over thirty years, Harlan Ellison was my dearest friend on the planet. Those of you who know me, know how important he, and Susan, and his work, were to me. As a beginning writer, long before we ever met, I looked to him for inspiration and the courage to keep going. Once we became friends, I had a very simple philosophy: whatever he needed done, I would make sure it happened. I would’ve stepped in front of a bus for him, and he knew it, just as he knew that out of the thousands of people he’d met in his life, he could trust me to make sure that his and Susan's last wishes were attended to, and that his legacy would be protected.

That’s all for the moment, but as they say in TV Land, stay tuned…for there is more to come.

Time to pick something up

• GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    The food threads have their occasional bout of puzzlement/feigned anger/apathy as some publication releases their ultimate ranking of chips, or halloween candy, or whatever food.

So I figured it was only fair to give the same gift, and the opportunity to feel those things, to the book thread:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/21/at-home/50-states-50-scares.html?smid=tw-share

A scary book for each state! No false picks at all, iron-clad and definitive, and sure to please the crowds like Buzzfeed ranking licorice dusted Pringles as the ultimate chip.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    everyone sees the title as "need a boob" right?

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Honor Harrington: Honor Among Enemies, complete

slow-going. I seem to lose interest half-way through, or maybe there's a semi-consistent mid-book slump.

Overall I was very happy with this one.

I liked the broadening of the perspective to let us see Wanderman and Lewis. I
    probably would have preferred if Wanderman didn't end up beating the stuffing out of Steilman. Use the beating to nudge him onto a Marine-adjacent track, then let MacBride or Lewis handle Steilman. Wasn't great that Wanderman went to confront Steilman following the attempted murder of Ginger; too close to fridging for my tastes.

Samantha was a neat addition.
    The loss of her person was devastating.

I was pleased with how the different groups intersected. I was half-expecting
    Caslet and Harrington to independently arrive at the pirate base. But this worked out well for everyone.

Expected Hauptman to actually organize the rescue of the Wayfarer, but all he managed was to beg long enough for an idea to occur.

First mention I can recall of a non-straight character, and
    I'm annoyed that she's packed in with the bullies and low-lifes. And, of course, she ends up dead.

stray thoughts:
    - Honor reading about Horatio is a bit on the nose.
    - Hibson lost her leg
    - the medics were last seen in a 'losing fight' to save Hallowell.

• gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    It remains on my bucket list to read every single Discworld novel. Those are books. Do I pass? Am I real yet?

gavindel on
    Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    gavindel wrote: »
    It remains on my bucket list to read every single Discworld novel. Those are books. Do I pass? Am I real yet?

Have you read them?
    If yes, then sure you get to be considered a real person.
    If not, then start reading. You're losing real person points by the hour.

If it helps your quest, the Discworld audiobooks are all very good. Check your local library, they probably have a bunch available for download through Overdrive or Hoopla!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

Have you read them?

Horray! I'm 3/40ths a real boy!

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Finished The Tyrant Baru Cormorant. Really good! I liked it more than the second, but that’s because it really feels like they were originally intended to be a single book, which ended up getting cut in half due to length. It paid off a number of arcs left lingering by the second book’s sudden and inconclusive ending, which means that you get some really moving and genuine beats instead of an endless stream of paranoia and agonizing self-denial (to be clear, I did like the second book as well).

Desperately curious to see how the fourth book comes out; the series so far has taken an increasingly vast and sweeping view of history and civilization with each book, and I wonder if it doesn’t get too much to wrangle at some point.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
    see317 wrote: »

Have you read them?

Horray! I'm 3/40ths a real boy!

Well, not so fast. There's a sliding scale from The Color of Magic to Night Watch, with a pretty wide point spread.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • KandenKanden Registered User regular
    If I've only read Color of Magic and Guards! Guards! How many points does that earn me?

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Kanden wrote: »
    If I've only read Color of Magic and Guards! Guards! How many points does that earn me?

• Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I've only not read 4 of the Discworld books, and a number of the short stories. The ones I haven't read are Pyramids, Small Gods, Unseen Academicals (I bought this one on release!) and apparently The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents is a Discworld book? I was thinking, since Small Gods is well liked, I might leave that until last, and read the other three first. But I also don't want to read them, because then I'll have no more Discworld books to read.

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Kanden wrote: »

Boourns - Guards! Guards! is a good one. Not as good as Men At Arms or Night Watch or Feet of Clay, but still one of the good ones.

This discussion has been closed.