As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Crusader Kings III: You Can Steal the Pope's Hat

• Options
    DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I have now generations of genius/beautiful/amazonian/consecrated family members spread across all of Europe (3400 living dynasty members in 227 houses), and all of the dynasty perks that reduce transmission of negative traits.

It's time for Perfect Circle! Meet Christian Mariasen, my son and Heir (and his wife who is also his sister):
    lpxBgRE.jpg
    His parents were also siblings, which means he only has two grandparents. To get the achievement, I have to play as one of Christian's kids, which would give him or her two grandparents and two great-grandparents. Let's see who the lucky winner is!
    tAt6ju9.jpg
    That...didn't go well. Sickly Inbred child that died at age 2.

I guess we'll try again:

f4bMrqu.jpg
    That's also not great. I do have gender-neutral inheritance and primogeniture, and at least she's "healthy". Would prefer to get someone without that massive trait penalty though. Next contestant?

KOCYNkf.jpg
    :?
    So it appears that even with the deck stacked in your favor, CK3 genetics still can bring the hammer...

I guess I'll have them continue having kids. I'm going to need somewhere sane for the inheritance to go once I get the achievement, regardless...

Durinia on
    For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    There really needs to be a way bigger ticking clock on crusades.

The problem I face is that it drags on forever because officially 40k troops commit, but only 20k ever land. So it counts all the battles as minor, meaning that even after besieging Rome I'm only at 70% warscore and have to chase stacks around hilly terrain to grind out to 100%

It costs a ton of gold and a ton of micro.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I'm beginning to wonder how long it'll take for the transition from Tribal to Feudal to become officially Worth It. It seems to take possibly hundreds of years.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I'm beginning to wonder how long it'll take for the transition from Tribal to Feudal to become officially Worth It. It seems to take possibly hundreds of years.

It is heavily influenced by your learning and your average development of counties in your culture. In my Daura game i first got the option around 1030, so after 170 years, and took it around 1060. I was focused on it from the start, and once I had enough tribal military started learning focused leaders (From roughly 930)
    For a Daura player, conquering Egypt is nice, but Syria is fraught because of the crusades. If you're getting off the continent, go for Southern Spain instead.

1058 is, I think, the year the third tech tree unlocks, and if you are tribal after that, enemies should start to outpace you. Italian and Greek culture will do 2 techs every 20 years because of their insane provinces.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    There really needs to be a way bigger ticking clock on crusades.

The problem I face is that it drags on forever because officially 40k troops commit, but only 20k ever land. So it counts all the battles as minor, meaning that even after besieging Rome I'm only at 70% warscore and have to chase stacks around hilly terrain to grind out to 100%

It costs a ton of gold and a ton of micro.

CK2 had like a 30 year cooldown from the end of a Crusade before the next one. It's a lot shorter in 3.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    What are my options for taking my vassal's titles in this one? I don't see any way to plot to take titles like in CK2. Do I just hope they turn criminal? Or do I have to just eat the tyranny penalty?

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    What are my options for taking my vassal's titles in this one? I don't see any way to plot to take titles like in CK2. Do I just hope they turn criminal? Or do I have to just eat the tyranny penalty?

You can revoke titles without tyranny if you have a claim on it. Fabricate Claim works.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Hmm empire titles getting created automatically is annoying my attempts to unify africa. I guess I have to reform to at least not-super-shit-partition

edit: also dynasty size update, 550 living members in 1000. I think it's actually impossible to get the witch coven founded now. I was so close 80 years ago

Phyphor on
  • Options
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Hmm empire titles getting created automatically is annoying my attempts to unify africa. I guess I have to reform to at least not-super-shit-partition

edit: also dynasty size update, 550 living members in 1000. I think it's actually impossible to get the witch coven founded now. I was so close 80 years ago

You might still be able to. You only have to convert 60% of your House to witchcraft, and not 60% of you entire Dynasty. So all the cadet branches that have probably formed by now are actually irrelevant when it comes to founding a coven.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »

You might still be able to. You only have to convert 60% of your House to witchcraft, and not 60% of you entire Dynasty. So all the cadet branches that have probably formed by now are actually irrelevant when it comes to founding a coven.

I'm still tribal no cadet branches (yet), that's all still the original house

• Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    It's finally the year 1453. First campaign I've actually finished on Paradox game.

SYduqER.png
    (That's not the end, but I stopped expanding after that)

My 2nd to last Emperor decided that keeping all the disparate parts of the Empire together was too much of a trouble for a single heir.
    Why not return to the good old days of the equal partition? (with converting to Adamism to allow daughters to inherit too)

8XPPvDY.png
    Look at the border gore and despair.

23 rulers total. All members of the House Halfdan.

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    I have had four wars waged against me that all ended up going the exact same way.

So... the King of Italy has a De Jure claim on the Duchy of Swabia and he wants it. He's also got a bunch of powerful allies in the region, so a straight-up fight is... inadvisable. So, he and his allies gather up their troops and march into Swabia to start sieging. Meanwhile, I raise my troops in Provence (which I own for some reason even though I'm playing Norse; Vikings gonna Vikings even after the patch), sneak my army and its pile of Mangonels into Italy from the South and siege down the King's own county and a few neighbours before they can make much headway in sieging Swabia. So even though I'm outnumbered roughly 2-to-1, I quickly get enough warscore together to get a White Peace.

Four times in a row.

If it were a person in charge of Italy that strategy might've maybe worked once, but the AI is still blissfully incapable of learning.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Why did no one tell me I can choose an education focus for my wards?!?

Would have been useful to know a couple of generations ago.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Yeah being able to change education is something the tutorial forgets

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

If only there had been a ward who could have taught you.

• Options
    Finally finished Mother of us All. Ended the game just after, after getting Legendary renown, then releasing 10 Kingdom titles for that cheevo.
    I think it may be a mistake to go for the achievement, because the sheer labor of it makes you minmax hard, and once you learn a dozen little tricks, some of the magic is gone.

Daura are positioned for extreme stability, which goes even crazier once witchcraft gets into the bloodline. I only had a single faction demand war in 340y of game. The combination of ck3 county claim, 4 spouses and partition is a hidden bonus. Almost every ruler will have an oodle of children, who will all end up owning 1 county each. If one of those rulers is a pain in the ass, you can force a county claim, for a civil war, imprison and revoke their kingdom title.

A few things that really helps:

When you reform, remove adultery as a sin. This means it removes the "some people fucked = loss of religious fervor" event which helps a lot.
    The whole run is money limited, from start to finish. Make sure you never bring more levies than you need. Spread out stacks of a 1000 levies to slowsiege against medium sized enemies. Siege engines save an incredible amount of money, because they shorten wars.
    Stay out of Syria. The pope wants Jerusalem bad as it currently stands.
    The biggest enemies are Ghana in the 900s, and Byz in 1000s. Byz is extremely stable and will spread, so push back early. One of my longest wars was the "final byz county in Africa" war in 1100ish, they had 32k troops of high quality by that point.

• Options
    DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    Well, it took 6 kids, but I finally got one without Inbred. The poor thing got "profligate" from stress reactions by the time he was 4 because his siblings kept getting lost in the woods...

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • Options
    Alright, it took about 400 years, but I finally managed to grab all the counties needed to restore the Danelaw.

. . .

OK, so, turns out, when you restore the Danelaw, the new Kingdom's automatically Scandinavian Elective. Which is probably fine when you manage it early on, but 400 years into the game I'm on Ultimogeniture. And, you know, I own some holdings in England the Danelaw which I'd like to keep and do not at all fancy getting tangled up in an election. So after a few more days I just destroyed the Danelaw again. It's safer that way.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Alright, it took about 400 years, but I finally managed to grab all the counties needed to restore the Danelaw.

. . .

OK, so, turns out, when you restore the Danelaw, the new Kingdom's automatically Scandinavian Elective. Which is probably fine when you manage it early on, but 400 years into the game I'm on Ultimogeniture. And, you know, I own some holdings in England the Danelaw which I'd like to keep and do not at all fancy getting tangled up in an election. So after a few more days I just destroyed the Danelaw again. It's safer that way.

I assume it's not possible to change Danelaw's election type?

• Options

. . .

I assume it's not possible to change Danelaw's election type?

I didn't find it, but admittedly I didn't look that hard.

• Options
    You can add or remove laws on existing kingdom/Empire titles.
    There should be a button for it on the title page Same place, where you deleted the title.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    Is it possible to change succession laws for HRE to something non-elective? I looked at the list and the only options are various forms of elective. (I have not discovered all succession laws yet.)

Generally speaking: Is high partition or house seniority best? (I'm about to discover them.)

Finally: Became HR Empress.
    1) Become a powerful vassal
    2) Beg the Pope for money
    3) Bribe and befriend all electors
    4) Oh, no, the Emperor got killed by a mob and the organizers were hanged before they could be questioned! How tragic.
    5) It's good to be the Empress.

• Options
    My Empress had 13 kids (14 pregancies; one was stillborn) and died of old age at 60.

Her oldest daughter and heir died at 17 giving birth to her first child (who lived and became player heir).

Go figure.

• Options
    Is it possible to change succession laws for HRE to something non-elective? I looked at the list and the only options are various forms of elective. (I have not discovered all succession laws yet.)

Generally speaking: Is high partition or house seniority best? (I'm about to discover them.)

With High Partition, your heir gets to keep most but not all of your titles. With House Seniority, your heir gets to keep all of your titles.

With High Partition, your heir is one of your kids, who you've hopefully groomed to not totally suck. With House Seniority, your heir is whoever in the family is oldest (which probably isn't going to be one of your kids).

So with Seniority, your domain doesn't fall apart, but because rulership passes from very old person to very old person, you're likely looking at several short reigns in a row which might not be good for internal stability. On the other hand, with High Partition, you still gotta put up with, well, Partition.

• Options

With High Partition, your heir gets to keep most but not all of your titles. With House Seniority, your heir gets to keep all of your titles.

With High Partition, your heir is one of your kids, who you've hopefully groomed to not totally suck. With House Seniority, your heir is whoever in the family is oldest (which probably isn't going to be one of your kids).

So with Seniority, your domain doesn't fall apart, but because rulership passes from very old person to very old person, you're likely looking at several short reigns in a row which might not be good for internal stability. On the other hand, with High Partition, you still gotta put up with, well, Partition.

Partition hasn't been terrible for me, since I'm Empress of the HRE and make sure the election goes my way.

It has, however, resulted in my cousin (King of Jerusalem) having a county next to the Baltic Sea and one of my relatives/vassals having a county next to the Sinai…

• Options
    Other things that should be in the tutorial. If you hover over any information popups, like in in events or the stats at the top, if you hold your mouse there for a second it lets you get more info about things. Very useful for knowing what event effects actually do

• Options
    Other things that should be in the tutorial. If you hover over any information popups, like in in events or the stats at the top, if you hold your mouse there for a second it lets you get more info about things. Very useful for knowing what event effects actually do

This is bizarrely slow on default settings but can be made really fast or bound to middle click instead in the settings

• Options
    Bubonic plague doesn't kid around.

Doing currently the Reconquista achievement and I was couple counties away from converting Hispania to Christianity, when it hit.
    It took my Emperor and all his 4 sons one by one in the year of 5 Emperors.
    Luckily their Cool Crusader aunt from Jerusalem finished the job of converting.
    She's in her 50s and with no dynastic heirs... Time to go elective.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    The worst if going from a ruler with 20 stewardship to one with 4

• Options
    In Crusader Kings 2, with the rework of the Crusades that came with Holy Fury, when the Pope called a Crusade and nobody showed up, he would call the Crusade off again in a huff.

I feel he should do the same in Crusader Kings 3.

You see, in my game, Catholicism was replaced by Waldensianism and the Lollards. The Pope, unlanded, had an army of 820 people. And yet he called pointless Crusade after pointless Crusade. How pointless? So pointless that his army of 820 didn't even spawn on the map. So the only way to "defeat" the Crusade was to wait around for about ten years for the war score to tick up to 100%. It was ridiculous.

• Options
    In Crusader Kings 2, with the rework of the Crusades that came with Holy Fury, when the Pope called a Crusade and nobody showed up, he would call the Crusade off again in a huff.

You see, in my game, Catholicism was replaced by Waldensianism and the Lollards. The Pope, unlanded, had an army of 820 people. And yet he called pointless Crusade after pointless Crusade. How pointless? So pointless that his army of 820 didn't even spawn on the map. So the only way to "defeat" the Crusade was to wait around for about ten years for the war score to tick up to 100%. It was ridiculous.

So the Pope is doing some Don Quixote Crusades like a sad irrelevant old man

I can dig it

• Options

I can dig it

Once is funny. But it eventually gets tedious.

I decided to take over the entire Italian peninsula just to put a stop to the constant non-Crusades.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

I can dig it

Once is funny. But it eventually gets tedious.

I decided to take over the entire Italian peninsula just to put a stop to the constant non-Crusades.

Space mode in SPORE quickly turned into this, back in the day, with frequent distress calls from your neighbors to please hurry over and put down some diseased animals, or fend off a pirate raid, or open a stuck jar, or get something down from a high shelf...

My theory was and still remains that the endgame galactic big-bads, the Grox, turned to attempted omnicide just to shut everyone up.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    So heres a question. I'm a Tribal government but took over a bunch of feudal counties including my new kingdom of Poland's de Jure Capital. Is there a way I can switch to Feudal this way or am I stuck?

• Options
    RuldarRuldar Registered User regular
    Check the Polish culture and see if it's non-tribal, you might be able to swap by taking the 'Convert to local culture' decision and then reform to feudal from there.

Fair warning though, once you are feudal and have a reformed religion you will no longer be able to raid if you were before.

• Options

This tweet, posted by a CK3 programmer, shows Matilda of Tuscany in 867, when she's actually a character from 1066. So maybe this is a hint there's some kind of Ruler Designer on the horizon.

• Options
    Dev Diary 43: A Ruler of Your Own

So... yeah. There's a Ruler Designer coming for free. And, unlike CK2, using a custom ruler doesn't disable achievements unless you make a very overpowered ruler.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

So... yeah. There's a Ruler Designer coming for free. And, unlike CK2, using a custom ruler doesn't disable achievements unless you make a very overpowered ruler.

*checks for Bust Size slider*

Okay, we're good to go.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular

That sounds like a cool compromise. Uncapped points, and the ability to still get achievements if you don't go too OP.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OK, got a release date for the patch (and the accompanying Ruler Designer).