As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How about [movies] that no longer exist?

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Kids are watching Toy Story 4 today.

These movies get more and more disturbing the more they make of them since each just further examines the fundamental existential terror of this entire premise.

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

These movies get more and more disturbing the more they make of them since each just further examines the fundamental existential terror of this entire premise.

The army of Jimmy Carr clones don't help either.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

Forky raises some serious questions.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I watched Heat again tonight. I don't think it's a good movie.

And dear God it's long!

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    What do you think is bad about it?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »

it’s so fucking macho, like all of Mann’s filmography

I agree, but I generally find Mann's machismo much easier to take than that of many other filmmakers. (It's what completely ruined Besson's The Big Blue for me, for instance.) I can definitely understand it putting people off, but I also think that in a thread dedicated to discussing films there's generally more to be had from trying to distinguish between a film being bad and a film doing stuff that we don't like.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Thinking about Heat and the incredible cast, with top drawer talent in every role. Is Tinker Tailor the new holder of the all time award for best cast in a movie? Is the Godfather finally knocked off its heady perch? Not many women but everyone involved is absolutely at the top of their game.
    Gary Oldman
    Kathy Burke
    Benedict Cumberbatch
    Colin Firth
    Stephen Graham
    Tom Hardy
    Ciarán Hinds
    John Hurt
    Toby Jones
    Mark Strong

I don't think I'll ever stop banging on about this movie.

I very much liked David Dencik as Toby Esterhase too. That scene at the airport - his fear is so palpable.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Thinking about Heat and the incredible cast, with top drawer talent in every role. Is Tinker Tailor the new holder of the all time award for best cast in a movie? Is the Godfather finally knocked off its heady perch? Not many women but everyone involved is absolutely at the top of their game.
    Gary Oldman
    Kathy Burke
    Benedict Cumberbatch
    Colin Firth
    Stephen Graham
    Tom Hardy
    Ciarán Hinds
    John Hurt
    Toby Jones
    Mark Strong

Extremely strong (for a white male) cast, I'd say

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Gary Oldman
    Kathy Burke
    Benedict Cumberbatch
    Colin Firth
    Stephen Graham
    Tom Hardy
    Ciarán Hinds
    John Hurt
    Toby Jones
    Mark Strong

Well, with Ronin, you get Robert DeNiro, Jean Reno, Sean Bean, Stellan Skarsgård, Jonathan Pryce....

as white male casts go, lol.

wVEsyIc.png
    edited October 2020
    The Telegraph's Guy Stagg, meanwhile, thought that the movie needed a car chase in the middle.

From the Tinker Tailor wiki. One hopes he was being sarcastic, because if not that's the dumbest thing I've seen a professional critic write down.

Bogart on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    The Telegraph's Guy Stagg, meanwhile, thought that the movie needed a car chase in the middle.

One hopes he was being sarcastic, because if not that's the dumbest thing I've seen a professional critic write down.

Talking about Tinker Tailor?

There's missing the point, and then there's that

• Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular

From the Tinker Tailor wiki. One hopes he was being sarcastic, because if not that's the dumbest thing I've seen a professional critic write down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW-F1H-Nonk

This trailer is not very indicative of what the film is like. But yes, a professional critic should know better; you'd hope they'd do a bit of research to avoid sounding like a birk.

PSN Fleety2009
    Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy joins Master and Commander on my very short list of films that I would've loved to see sequels to, made with and by the same people, mainly because they're both adaptations of novels in a series of stories featuring the same characters - and both did a fantastic job with the material.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Forky raises some serious questions.

Toy story 4 is my least like of the bunch, and I don't understand the praise. On a side note, I thought going in that forky would be terrible, and instead he was great.

You want to talk about casts, The Quick and The Dead is still an all timer.

My problem with Heat is that it's about two deadbeat boomer dads who are willing to ruin their lives for their jobs. Which is the most boring motivation. But in addition to that the movie itself is more interested in realism than a good story. I get that it's supposed to be the thrill of the cat and mouse game, but the actors aren't selling it. I don't know if it's mostly because the two main actors are just too old for this kind of thing so they aren't selling it? Especially since Val Kilmer certainly is.

Basically, Point Break is a better.

The Quick And The Dead?
    Sharon Stone
    Gene Hackman
    Russell Crowe
    Roberts Blossom
    Kevin Conway
    Lance Henriksen
    Pat Hingle
    Gary Sinise
    Leonardo DiCaprio
    Keith David

I dunno. I've italicised the actors I think are very good but very much supporting character actors. Outside of those Sinise is barely in it, Crowe and DiCaprio are fine but have certainly been better, Stone is okayyyyyyy I guess. Keith David is great in everything but it's not like he has much to do. Hackman is obviously a tier 1 acting legend and as such deserves his own bold font.

I like the Quick and the Dead less than some others here, I think. I don't think it's bad but it's some very good scenes in an OK movie.

• SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy joins Master and Commander on my very short list of films that I would've loved to see sequels to, made with and by the same people, mainly because they're both adaptations of novels in a series of stories featuring the same characters - and both did a fantastic job with the material.

The 1979 miniseries of Tinker, Tailor... starring Alec Guinness as Smiley (and Ian Richardson as Bill Hayden) is really excellent if you're in the mood for a six-hour version (you should be, it's great). In 1982 they made a sequel series Smiley's People which IMO is just as good. There's a brief Patrick Stewart appearance in both of them too, in a small but pivotal role.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
    Jesus, is it really 16 years since Hackman retired? An immense loss to cinema. Dude is 90 now and I bet he's still intimidating af to be around.

I remember the stories that came out of filming the Royal Tenenbaums and picturing the delicate and very civilised Wes Anderson being told by an angry Hackman to "pull up your pants and act like a man" is endlessly delightful.

edited October 2020
    Hackman is probably a giant pain in the ass and a jerk but he's one of the greatest actors of all time. I can watch him in anything because I can't think of a single time he's been bad, or even coasting.
    In an effort to make sure they hadn’t mischaracterized Hackman, Anderson asked the cast to share what it was like working with him but quickly remembered that he had asked Murray to come to set even on his days off to act as his protector.

Bogart on
    Atomika wrote: »

it’s so fucking macho, like all of Mann’s filmography

I found it rather cliche personally and none of scenes that felt like they were supposed to land big really did.

Also as much as I love the just sheer sound of the shootout scene, it always feels a little over-the-top for the tone of the rest of the film. Even though apparently a few years later it basically happened irl because america is that crazy.

I will always give Heat credit for the sound design. Guns are terrifying and loud as fuck which is perfect.

Doodmann wrote: »
    I will always give Heat credit for the sound design. Guns are terrifying and loud as fuck which is perfect.

The first time I watched it the wife was on nights so I was at home alone with the sound cranked up to a nice cinematic level. The shootout in terms of sound-design is just fucking incredible. The gunfire is like a wall of noise coming at you and it just makes the whole scene so much better in a way I never expected.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

The worst part of M&C is that it wasn't M&C; it was, uh, M&C + Far Side of the World + Desolation Island + whichever one ends with them in Australia + ...

... and I really, really want the whole series on film.

Otherwise, fantastic.

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    It took me something like 11 sittings to finally get all the way through Tinker Tailor (I would watch bits of it before bed every night and get bored and nod off).

Then once I had watched all of it in instalments I was somehow consumed by the whole thing and watched it all the next day. It is such a fucking good movie.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I would love a Master and Commander 2. That was such a good film!

Tinker Tailer Soldier Spy I bounced off hard on. Maybe if they would have put in that car chase as the reviewer was recommending... :)

The 1979 miniseries of Tinker, Tailor... starring Alec Guinness as Smiley (and Ian Richardson as Bill Hayden) is really excellent if you're in the mood for a six-hour version (you should be, it's great). In 1982 they made a sequel series Smiley's People which IMO is just as good. There's a brief Patrick Stewart appearance in both of them too, in a small but pivotal role.
    I think I actually prefer the film to the miniseries, though I enjoyed that one too. By and large, I like the character work in the film better, because the BBC series is so damn sedate and internalised, at times it feels like the majority of characters (other than Bill Haydon and Jim Prideaux) are somewhat hollow. Which may be the point, but in the film I got much more of a sense of how this toxic life corrodes everyone and everything. Still, I like Smiley's People better in that regard and would've liked to see it done by the people who did the Tinker Tailor... film.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Hackman is probably a giant pain in the ass and a jerk but he's one of the greatest actors of all time. I can watch him in anything because I can't think of a single time he's been bad, or even coasting.
    In an effort to make sure they hadn’t mischaracterized Hackman, Anderson asked the cast to share what it was like working with him but quickly remembered that he had asked Murray to come to set even on his days off to act as his protector.

I love the recent story about Hackman and how someone really loved a movie he was in and how it got him into acting and he asked Hackman about it and all he could say was it was a good money role. I love that he just sees it as a job and nothing else.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Bill Murray is probably a great diffuser with Hackman.

Heist is probably my favorite Ensemble cast, only weakness is Rebecca Pidgeon and she works well here. Favorite Gene Hackman film, he just lives in that before he was nuts Mamet dialogue.

"Don't you want to hear my last words?"

*kills him with a shotgun*

"I just did"

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Reading up on Gene Hackman he's apparently written 3 books? I did not know that.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    My mind keeps on wanting to think Dennis Hopper is still alive but he is not.

I remember looking at an Andy Warhol exhibit that had some mini films of Hopper.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Maybe it's time for an Event Horizon remake with fancy CGI.

*thinks of 2011's The Thing prequel*

Or maybe not.
    I thought the prequel was fine.

Couldn't hold a candle to the creature designs from the first film though.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    I love how the prequel leads right to the beginning of The Thing.

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    The Thing is a slow burn exploration of paranoia where we are as in the dark as the characters. The Thing 2011 says "fuck all that" and sets about explaining everything possible and removing any mystery. It's completely pointless and if watched alongside the original, actively detrimental.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    My mind keeps on wanting to think Dennis Hopper is still alive but he is not.

Hopper spent the latter parts of his life as a vocal conservative and GOP supporter (he loved Reagan), so it is probably better for all involved that he's not around to tell us what he's thinking.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    IMO, that would matter more if the 2011 film was ever meant to stand on its own, rather than to be viewed as a companion piece, and almost always by people who've already seen the first one.

Yeah. I think it is intended to watch the prequel after watching The Thing.

This discussion has been closed.