[D&D 5E] "The Curse"- Villam

1111214161727

Posts

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited October 15
    OOC:
    [Thank you for the break! Thank you as well for the recent discussion! Zombie Penguin has always, and I'm sure will continue, to play one [b]hell[/b] of PC, and will be [i]very[/i] much missed from the group. But I appreciate their decision, and wish them well moving forward, and apologize for the misunderstanding of expectations on my own part as well. Now having checked in with the remaining PCs, I will be updating the map slightly later this evening, and moving forward with the story after that. We will leave the break point at Irah and the Gentleman's decision...in this retcon case, Irah *rejected* Reynard's offer, left at next port, and went on to wild and daring adventures that will be told in legend hereafter. The remaining group faces down the cultists in the Surgeon's Office soon! I appreciate all of your patience, and hope the crew much luck moving forward! :biggrin: ]

    mrpaku on
    AustinP0027zekebeauGlal
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    I believe this is where we left off, and should be an updated map:

    Initiative Order
    1. Jack
    2. Jasper, Bobby (AC 13)
    3. Oak
    4. Urixes
    5. Sein (AC 13)
    6. Arno
    7. Reynard

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    [Oak swings the sword in a vicious arc, slamming it deep into Jasper's shoulder!]

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    "Damn it," Urixes curses as the assailants reveal themselves. He was not a fan of fighting in such close quarters, where his magic had almost as much chance of hurting his allies as it did his enemies. He backs up carefully, summoning a rimed tentacle to do some of his fighting for him while he gets into a better position.

    OOC: Using my Action to Disengage, then moving to G5. Using my Bonus Action to summon tentacle 2 out of 3 for the day via Grasp of the Deep in square C6, which will attack Jasper. BTW which coin is which?

    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Grasp of the Deep
    Geth, roll 1d8 for Cold Damage

    Grasp of the Deep:
    1d20+5 13 [1d20=8]
    Cold Damage:
    1d8 1 [1d8=1]

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    OOC: Will mark them next round!: C4=Jasper, C5=Bobby, B6=Sein

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    [Urixes's tentacle tugs at Jasper's leg weakly, but sends a shiver through his body!]

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited October 16
    Sein strides quickly to the South towards Reynard, taking cover from Jack's crossbolt fire just behind the headboard of a sick bed (E8). He begins to spin his hands in front of himself in a circle...from the circle, a spectral longsword slowly emerges....when it emerges all the way, it shoots itself at Reynard.

    Geth roll 1d20+2 for Spectral Sword

    Spectral Sword:
    1d20+2 3 [1d20=1]

    mrpaku on
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    [Reynard rolls to his side at just the right moment, and the ghostly longsword flies harmlessly by and slams into Hugo's Desk, scattering papers and pens]

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited October 16
    Current Map
    xqtqlkwcmmqt.jpg

    mrpaku on
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    This is getting a bit dangerous. That longsword could have been stuck into Reynard instead of the wood. Wood...plant...spy...eye... beauty... wait go back to plant!

    With a wave and a mystic word, the wood planks of the ship seem to come back to life, stems and vines sprouting and curling around the wood be assassins.



    casting on the diagonal c4 to f7, DC 13 strength check or be restrained, no movement and all attacking with advantage. Can make new check each round. That 20 by 20 square is also now difficult as long as I keep concentrate.

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited October 16
    Current Map
    gqb7pvdnq2v8.jpg

    Geth roll 1d20 for Jasper
    Geth roll 1d20 for Sein

    Note: The Cabinet remains wedged in the doorway. My child...ate it last round. A new one will join the next map update.

    Jasper:
    1d20 19 [1d20=19]
    Sein:
    1d20 17 [1d20=17]

    mrpaku on
    Glal
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    edited October 16
    Darn, but roll for Bob as well.

    Edit: oops, should have said the spell is entangle.

    zekebeau on
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited October 16
    OOC: Ah, gotcha! I read diagnoal the wrong way. As I understand the spell, it will be in a square extending from essentially C4-C7/E4-E7. This spell would require a save on the grab from Bobby, as well as Oak (all creatures in affected area must succeed on the Strength check). Do you wish to proceed?

    mrpaku on
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    ARNO
    Spell would go in effect like so: I couldn't find any angle that hit all three baddies that didn't also involve Oak. But hey, new spell effect token! :o

    68l7vhacbbj6.jpg

    [Jack, I know your IRL day is about over, so if you wanted to leave an action to follow Arno and Reynard's you are welcome to!]

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    "Hey! Hey buddy! No hiding now, you are the ones who started this!" He drops his light crossbow and pulls out a rapier as part of his move, jogging up an around the clearly magicked zone to just South of Sein (he has an extra square of movement left for that one bit of difficult terrain he might need to enter), giving him a toothy grin.

    "Hi!"

    Now that he's seen the man cast a spell he's not taking any chances. Not exactly being magically predisposed himself, all evidence to the contrary, he's always been wary of practitioners, double so in combat.

    Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Rapier
    Geth, roll 1d8+3 for Rapier Damage

    ((OOC: I assume we have not had a chance to short rest yet, since we went right from one encounter into another))

    Rapier:
    1d20+4 12 [1d20=8]
    Rapier Damage:
    1d8+3 10 [1d8=7]

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited October 16
    OOC: No short rest yet, correct, but a nice long one very soon.

    mrpaku on
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    see, I wanted the edge of the square on the diagonal. Is it just not enough room to fit that way? Yes, even if it hits oak, let's keep it. He has advantage on strength any way.

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited October 16
    Geth roll 1d20 for Bobby

    Bobby:
    1d20 6 [1d20=6]

    mrpaku on
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Map Update
    v4oe0ac3z5ql.jpg

    [Bobby becomes ensnared by the vines!]

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited October 16
    OOC: I'm good.

    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Saving throw

    Saving throw:
    1d20+5 18 [1d20=13]

    AustinP0027 on
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited October 16
    Reynard chuckles roughly as he unsteadily pulls himself to his feet next to the table and Arno. "Oh *well done*, my friend, cough cough ... excellent work. I do believe you've awoken a bit of the old blood in me!" Closing his eyes, he spreads his hands out in the same direction as Arno's sudden undergrowth... lets it go. From the NE corner of the room, a yellow cloud begins to spread...

    Geth roll 1d20+1 for Bobby vs Poison
    Geth roll 1d20+1 for Sein vs Poison

    Bobby vs Poison:
    1d20+1 7 [1d20=6]
    Sein vs Poison:
    1d20+1 12 [1d20=11]

    mrpaku on
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited October 17
    [Bobby and Sein begin to hack and wretch within the noxious cloud!]

    [Green Area within Arno's sudden Tangle has become similarly infested with a Stinking Cloud]

    [Jack runs up, whips out his rapier in gentleman style, lunges...a near miss!]

    mrpaku on
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Current Map
    kt4f0le1nl51.jpg

    Jasper takes the sword to his arm, looks over at it...he turns back and smiles wickedly up at Oak in his transformed visage. As the sword wrenches free, Jasper gives a deep, unnatural sound from the bottom of his throat. "ERRRREAARHH!". This bloody maniac stabs at you again. And again.

    Geth roll 1d20+4 for "The Return"
    Geth roll 2d20+4 for "The Revenge"

    "The Return":
    1d20+4 17 [1d20=13]
    "The Revenge":
    2d20+4 23 [2d20=6, 13]

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    [Oak's armor manages to catch yet another stab...but the very last one sinks home...]

    Geth roll 1d4+2 Piercing Damage to Oak

    Piercing Damage to Oak:
    1d4+2 5 [1d4=3]

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited October 16
    Initiative Order-Round Two!
    1. Jack
    2. Jasper, Bobby (AC 13)
    3. Oak
    4. Urixes
    5. Sein (AC 13)
    6. Arno
    7. Reynard

    mrpaku on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    The man who was casting slipped around them, running towards Reynard. Oak fumed at the disrespectful way they were trying to attack and slip away. "Protect Reynard. I'll handle these two!" He yells, his vision turning red.

    His brings his sword down again in Jasper, hacking at the man in an effort to chop through him and sink his blade into the next attacker.

    I'm tired of these guys, so I'm going into a rage.

    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Sworded
    Geth, roll 1d8+5 for Damage

    Sworded:
    1d20+5 13 [1d20=8]
    Damage:
    1d8+5 6 [1d8=1]

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    [Oak drives his sword *deeply* into the other shoulder now...Jasper lolls his head back unnaturally, begins to gag...from within Oak's deep driven shoulder wounds, he sees sudden, sickening slithering movements...]

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    pssst, @Glal you can roll your rapier attack again, that target failed his save, you have advantage

    mrpaku
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    ((OOC: Didn't Sein succeed on his saving throw? There's a 1d20=17 roll for them))

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Whoops

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    OOC: No worries, it happens! I swear, I pore over these rules twenty times in a row, and end up missing something each time regardless.

    It's Urixes turn now, but everyone please feel free to take their time over this weekend. I'll be working on completing the next big hub on your journey (Villam), and may throw up a "Journey So Far" map and a teaser for the next bit as well

    Glal
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Tempted as he is to split his attention among all of the threats, Urixes decides to focus on just one at a time. He lets loose a bolt of force at Jasper, followed by another swing of the tentacle.

    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Eldritch Blast
    Geth, roll 1d10+3 for Force Damage
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Tickle of the Deep
    Geth, roll 1d8 for Cold Damage

    Eldritch Blast:
    1d20+5 13 [1d20=8]
    Force Damage:
    1d10+3 7 [1d10=4]
    Tickle of the Deep:
    1d20+5 23 [1d20=18]
    Cold Damage:
    1d8 1 [1d8=1]

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited October 18
    [Urixes blasts Jasper with a force and slaps him with another tentacle. Jasper's skin blackens and cracks under the energy! The zealot can't possibly take much more!]

    [Sein continues to hack and cough inside the cloud, but seems to be shaking it off!]

    mrpaku on
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited October 18
    A BRIEF ASIDE FROM THE FIGHT (THINGS LEARNED ABOARD THE WHISPERED CURSE)
    You have learned from gossip, hearsay, and a few actual, genuine testimonials about some facts and occurrences within The Twilight Expanse. This is valuable, but *dangerous* knowledge- use it carefully!

    3gc4nazhblzh.png

    Time, Space, and Magic all act strangely and without any sort of logic inside the Expanse...is the commonly accepted folklore, but those actually aware of the area know this isn’t strictly true.

    The Paling (as visually defined) extends up and over the Twilight Expanse like a Snow Globe, or a Giant Bubble- beginning at a point that could be called “roughly” (to be explained) halfway between Far Aeston and the colony of Villam, and reaching a point a full mile and a half overhead at it’s apex, above the literal center of the Paling.

    The physical lands within the Expanse are stationary in and of themselves…but constantly shifting, as though on a series of circular plates. Standard maps are next to useless in navigation around the Expanse on their own: it is only through a combination of knowledge the area, the time of season, and a familiarity with the strange magics living within the Expanse that one can have a hope to keep track of themselves. You have personally noticed the Captain and Pilot spending *much more time* paying attention to their heading and course than you have on any other ship you’ve ever occupied. There is a very good reason for this. [ see Figure A ]

    The most volatile, unpredictable areas within the Expanse lie along the Ley Lines separating the plates. For example, if you only knew it, Arnishian Rock lay at the literal edge of the Paling…geographically speaking, at least. It is known by the veterans aboard that the further in you go and the more Ley Lines you pass, the more dangerous and unpredictable it gets…and the less time and space seem to have particular relevance. You can press the gossipers on this point, but they won’t say anymore. They just give assurances that, if you last long enough, you’ll almost certainly get to see for yourself…

    You know your next destination to be Villam. Villam is a colony city almost entirely comprised of Lizardfolk, and once a year an exchange of goods (mostly one sided) is made with Far Aeston as they swing by each other. It is in many ways as much a “Port of Last Call” as Far Aeston, being the usual first and most well-known entry point into the Expanse. You are aware that you are here to resupply and take a brief offshore break, which will be followed by something apparently fraught before you break into the Expanse proper. There is also talk amongst the Vets of an eventual visit to somewhere called “The Isle of Chaff”, which is talked about with equal parts longing and dread... [ see Figure B ]

    Figure A Legend-
    Black Arrow- Entry Point of the Whispered Curse

    Red Arrow- Direction of Plate Movement

    Yellow, Orange, Red, Black Circles- Ley Lines

    Figure B Legend-

    Yellow, Orange- Ley Lines

    Red Arrows- Direction of Plate Movement

    1. Far Aeston

    2. Arnishian Rock/Roughly the current location of The Whispered Curse

    3. Villam

    4. Isle of Chaff

    ?. “Something Fraught”?

    t6xgzwewb1wh.jpg

    mrpaku on
    GlalAustinP0027
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited October 19
    ADDITIONAL EXPANSE INFORMATION (Note: Please feel free to contact the DM with questions about characters or setting. Worst case scenario I can't discuss something; best, we can build out part of the story together! I will post general information I think is relevant to every PC in thread)
    Villam is a special case for a lot of reasons. On the outer ring of the Expanse, it's probably the one (more or less) safe point of entry. You'll find out when you get there that they are very much a traditional colony -Villam is actually an island of plenty, and needs the Governor for very little. Navigation is incredibly rough within the outer circle itself, possibly moreso than in any of the other circles, creating a pretty high entry bar for any ships that would be there in the first place. There are other entrys/exits, but the only "known" one is "Dead West/East for/from Villam for about a week, at this exact time of year". If you remember, Far Aeston is at the western edge of civilization...if someone "popped out" anywhere other than the Far Aeston route, they would be far far off the known map. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened!

    There are customs/towns/cultures built around the nature of the shifting plates

    Navigation presents it's own unique challenges... you've seen some of them already, you'll see many more before the end

    Initiative Order-Round Two!
    1. Jack
    2. Jasper (1/3HP), Bobby (3/4HP) (AC 13)
    3. Oak
    4. Urixes
    5. Sein (1/3HP) (AC 13)
    6. Arno
    7. Reynard

    mrpaku on
    AustinP0027
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Arno moves next to Jack, scimitar in hand, and strikes the struggling Sein.

    Geth roll 1d20+4 attack
    Geth roll 1d20+4 attack advantage
    Geth roll 1d6+2 slice

    attack:
    1d20+4 24 [1d20=20]
    attack advantage:
    1d20+4 22 [1d20=18]
    slice:
    1d6+2 5 [1d6=3]

    AustinP0027
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    [Arno cuts deeply into Sein's chest ...as the sword comes clear of the wound, a fanged head pops it's way out and snaps at your blade in a delayed defense... immediately retreats back within...]

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    ((OOC: Don't forget your crit damage! Unless we're just doubling the base damage roll, would likely speed things up))

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited October 19
    Reynard holds himself steady to the bed, but just barely. Two weeks stranded at sea have taken their toll. Sweat beads on his forehead and he looks like he can barely stand. But he holds on...using his cane, he unsteadily hobbles over behind Jack...seems to catch himself on him as he gets there. "Many thanks, my boy, you've got this one" he mumbled, as he gives Jack's shoulder a faint squeeze.

    [Reynard has cast Bear's Endurance on Jack.
    Bear's Endurance-The target has advantage on Constitution checks. It also gains 2d6 temporary hit points, which are lost when the spell ends.]


    Geth roll 2d6 for HP

    HP:
    2d6 7 [2d6=5, 2]

    mrpaku on
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited October 19
    Glal wrote: »
    ((OOC: Don't forget your crit damage! Unless we're just doubling the base damage roll, would likely speed things up))

    DM is good doubling damage on a player Critical moving forward unless there are any objections. This rule would not be in effect for monsters (Critical from an enemy does Max damage). Leave an agree to this post if you're on board.

    mrpaku on
    AustinP0027DenadaGlalzekebeauSleep
Sign In or Register to comment.