As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFRK] I am free to pursue my real dreams: Hip Hop

• FryFry Registered User regular
    Conceptually, I am fine with cash-only cosmetics. The value proposition seems pretty awful here, though.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: Β»
    Conceptually, I am fine with cash-only cosmetics. The value proposition seems pretty awful here, though.

Hmm. I could buy a Selphie costume in FFRK. Or, for the same price, I could buy copies of FFVIII and FFVII. Tough choice.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Google survey gems: Squall sync

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: Β»

Hmm. I could buy a Selphie costume in FFRK. Or, for the same price, I could buy copies of FFVIII and FFVII. Tough choice.

But which one can you show off in multiplayer for the next few months before multiplayer goes away?

38thDoE on steam
    πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    I mean, there was a discussion on Reddit arguing the same thing. Like if pulls were cheaper would you do it more often. They're definitely not for us that thrive on mythril (I'd like to think all of us), they're for the whales that keep the game going.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    Tried ff8. Got to phase 3. Good enough for now.

Selphie's awakening is kinda garbage, particularly for an evemy that attacks 3x per turn

I was shocked and dismayed to notice Selphie AASB doesn't even have last stand. Also, it doesn't really give you infinite healing like most healer AASBs. Very disappoint. Maybe if she had a good source of regenga, but surprise, she can't really do that, either.

I was shocked and dismayed to notice Selphie AASB doesn't even have last stand. Also, it doesn't really give you infinite healing like most healer AASBs. Very disappoint. Maybe if she had a good source of regenga, but surprise, she can't really do that, either.

It ONLY syncs on dance, and then ONLY gives a damage reduction barrier, not a medica. I assumed it gave a medica because every other awakening does. I've got all three of her USBs, so I can cover everything else (regenga, last stand, etc) but she just....sucks for keeping up with the damage, for real. I think I'd be better off saying "screw Tyro", bringing Elarra or Aerith as my out-of-realm and bringing in a third DPS and just trying to ignore the full break.

The other healer awakening which disappointed me was Eiko, in that it syncs on summon, but doesn't break the damage cap.

But it at least gives a medica on summon!

edited October 2020
    She doesn't even double cast dances, which would let her put out decent healing with Salsa or her hero ability. :/

Fry on
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I got selphie sync and I was a bit disappointed

38thDoE on steam

38thDoe wrote: Β»
    I got selphie sync and I was a bit disappointed

what?! even her sync sucks? well I'm gonna try to emulate this run:

youtube.com/watch?v=rYV89cLQeqU

it basically boils down to:

1. Ditch Selphie for best girl Elarra.
    2. Avoid Ice. Going Squall Fire, Ultemicia instead of Fujin and I guess I'll lens Kiros BSB to replace Quistis USB.
    3. Bring Irvine to Full Break your DPS so they can keep going during Phase 3.

It seems doable with my setup but I'm an idiot and I'm gonna try to pull on tonight's banner. Tho your feedback on Selphie's AASB now wants me to rethink that plan and maybe just try to nab either Quistis CSB or Laguna's AASB2 from the first one. But knowing my luck I bet I go 1/11 Rinoa LBO or something.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    edited October 2020
    [nope]

Enlong on
    Jragghen wrote: Β»
    Huh. Realm update

Yep, after months of waiting I finally caught up on realm dungeons during the fest so of course half stamina right after.

38thDoE on steam

Omg Gacha is the worst.

Screenshot-20201019-131052-com-dena-west-FFRK.jpg

Omg Gacha is the worst.

No, you only get to post that when you can't clear content because you traded 150 mythril for dupes, not when you can clear content.

38thDoE on steam

Before you ask, queue up that Thanos/Gamorra meme. Because I drained my Mythril and I regret nothing.

The team.

Squall AASB1+2, SASB2 and BUSB. Oh And Ice Glint+ just to get an instant cast.
    Selphie AASB, USB1, USB2, USB3 and Glint.
    Tyro AASB
    Rinoa AASB2, SASB2, AOSB.
    Quistis CSB, AASB and regular Glint.

This guy holy shit. I tried doing all BDLs but I couldn't get the fabled 40k hit for more than 2 turns. CSB is weird in the sense that...you want to get a high count. Even if I cast it to counter that DB debuff, I was just doing 3k hits in Awakening Mode for all my guys. I really REALLY don't know how other people do it without a dedicated Imperiler.

Anyways, the MPV here was Squall's BUSB. I was finally able to get a run where I could start Phase 3 without the DB debuff, under BUSB and with Sync going. And I trusted Rinoa and her weird AASB. To contain the barrage of spells I actually paired up Selphie's AASB + HA and Quistis Glint once her AASB was up.

Well, I think I finally have a kick ass Physical Shiva Team. And I never ever want to use Selphie again.

Also, secret MVP was my daughter. She pulled twice for me and got me Squall's SASB2, Quistis CSB and AASB.

edited October 2020
    So I might actually be able to scrape up mythril for another shot at XIV. Do I do that and hope for Papalymo or Ysayle awakenings? Or throw it at banner 1 because "fuck it; Alisaie"? Or just save?

I assume there will be more opportunities to get Alisaie's stuff on a less combo-oriented banner, and maybe she shows up in the lens shop later?

Enlong on
    Draws on xiv banner are guaranteed to be like Alisaie Glint+, and I don't think she's arrived in the lens shop yet for JP.

Draws on xiv banner are guaranteed to be like Alisaie Glint+, and I don't think she's arrived in the lens shop yet for JP.

Just rub in that salt, yeah, that's right.

edited October 2020
    Yeah, I guess I'm better off doing one more shot at banner 2. There's 2 Awakenings on there that would absolutely push me forward in taking on Lahabrea (by letting me drop Yda in favor of Ysayle), and the Y'shtola Awakening would certainly help with survivability.

I mean, I'll probably just get a dupe of Y'shtola's Glint, but eh.

Enlong on
  • rattletraprattletrap Registered User regular
    So I might actually be able to scrape up mythril for another shot at XIV. Do I do that and hope for Papalymo or Ysayle awakenings? Or throw it at banner 1 because "fuck it; Alisaie"? Or just save?

I assume there will be more opportunities to get Alisaie's stuff on a less combo-oriented banner, and maybe she shows up in the lens shop later?

Unless you're already really close (i.e. you need "just one thing") to take a run at XIV I think you're better off saving for a Dreambreaker banner for a better realm. It sounds like you need both better DPS and better healing which means you're probably going to come away disappointed.

Yeah, I guess I'm better off doing one more shot at banner 2. There's 2 Awakenings on there that would absolutely push me forward in taking on Lahabrea (by letting me drop Yda in favor of Ysayle), and the Y'shtola Awakening would certainly help with survivability.

I mean, I'll probably just get a dupe of Y'shtola's Glint, but eh.

Personally, I wouldn't draw on a banner where the wins are just three AASBs (since you already have Yda). I'm trying to limit my draws to banners with 5+ non-dupe AASB/Sync.

Heads up! Some of the Realm dungeons have medal conditions. Bring a full-break and you'll be fine.

Or take Irvine hyper sniper rw

38thDoE on steam

Problem is Yda’s a super awkward include in the team.

I actually do have a fairly strong amount of healing, between Y’shtola and Elarra. What makes the mages more appealing in this realm is the fact that Y’shtola’s Bubsy gives the team an Allegro Con Moto buff. By alternating between that and Elarra’s USB1, the mages can have improved speed for most of the fight. In contrast, Yda needs to be deep into one of her soul breaks to get a speed boost, outside of the effect of Elarra’s USB.

Also, for some reason, Lahabrea seems to be considerably more resilient to physical damage than magic. Maybe it’s a lack of Magia, but Yda seems to require way more help than Papalymo to hit the 9999 cap with her attacks. Even with Meteor Crush and Deployment Tactics, I find myself needing to give her a crit buff. That either means Yda needs to use one of her Uniques (which cuts into the time I need to beat the phase 1 enrage), or Elarra needs to use Ode to Victory (which means no Mage’s Hymn or Curada)

I would focus on a physical team instead, but Papalymo and Alphinaud, even without an Awakening, have been way more effective than any of my non-Yda characters in the realm, and they would butt up against Lahabrea’s seemingly huge defense as well.

I honestly do think that a Mage Awakening would be the only thing I need to make the fight really possible. I would be able to focus on magic power in phase 1, to get though without an Awakening. I could then have Papalymo drop OSBs in phase 2 to hopefully get that through faster, and then use an Awakening in phase 3. This would also let Elarra carry Mage’s Hymn, to deal with his increased defenses in phase 2.

And if I did get Y’shtola’s Awakening, that would be more of a bonus than a thing I need. She can already heal really good, and boost the team’s speed, but that would be a nice emergency tool.

β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”

To sum up, FFXIV is currently way more suited to magic damage than physical, and Lahabrea seems to be way easier to damage that way. The only reason I haven’t already gone for a magic team is the lack of an Awakening. I think it may be possible to ultimately do this with Yda, but it will take a fair bit of time to Magia her up. If I got a Mage Awakening, it would greatly improve the team.

Also, XIV is just generally a realm where I need more power.

Man, I remember getting that Soul Break. I was super excited, and it worked well.

Now I can barely find a reason to include him even in VIII teams with his realm chain. Sigh.

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    So we just finished fest, but it's been long enough that it's time for another fest!

JP Golden Week/Global Halloween/Black Friday fest coming soon. More free draws, cactuars, etc.

Man, I remember getting that Soul Break. I was super excited, and it worked well.

Now I can barely find a reason to include him even in VIII teams with his realm chain. Sigh.

Tbh that new USB they gave him is pretty good! I wish I had his realm chain because he'd replace Quistis in a heartbeat for me.

So we just finished fest, but it's been long enough that it's time for another fest!

JP Golden Week/Global Halloween/Black Friday fest coming soon. More free draws, cactuars, etc.

I just want a potted plant cactaur. Just once and I'll be happy. Why is that so much to ask?!

38thDoE on steam

Every time I go back to realm dungeons, I once again find it very funny that Y'shtola's USB1 is grouped with stuff like Hyper Sniper or Kindred Spirit. SSBs that mostly just do stat buffs or debuffs. It's in good company.

Oh hey, the first few Ultra Odins will be arriving the day after golden week starts.

Ultra Odin?

38thDoE on steam

I usually see it as "White Odin" but who knows what the translation will be. Basically a higher level Dark Odin with some very nice rewards. I think it's just wind and earth -weak first.

Ah okay, I thought this was some third Odin. That makes more sense.

38thDoE on steam

Wind-weak? Well, it'll be fun to see what Cloud, Fang, and Faris can do to it.

Tbh I loved the standard Odin theme and I adore this new mix

https://youtu.be/IRsQq1xzu1Q

edited October 2020
    Ran one last pull on the XIV banner, and... well, I tried, lol.

Y'shtola Glint dupe, Ysayle Glint+dupe, and Y'shtola's healer Awakening.

On the plus side, it is a new Awakening, and will I'm sure help out a lot with survivability during the fight. On the minus side, it's no direct damage aid for the fight, and leaves me with Yda as a lock for the party, despite how much of a PITA it is to get her doing proper numbers against Lahabrea.

I'll keep on with using the XIV team for orb meadows to get Magia, and see how well I can do with a new artifact or two.

all in all, better than dupes, worse than a new damage-dealer Awakening, and good for generic teams, probably (I kinda want to try Y'shtola in general mage teams for Stoneskin II and her Bubsy, while Elarra does Mage's Hymn).

Edit:

Haha. Her Bubsy might be *too* good in a Mage team. I tried a Wind team on a whim, and she actually didn’t have a good opportunity to use her Awakening; Bubsy was always better.

Enlong on