As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The General [Coronavirus] Discussion Thread is WAY worse than the flu

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Couscous wrote: »

Dr.Tony Fauci says we don’t allow him to do television, and yet I saw him last night on @60Minutes, and he seems to get more airtime than anybody since the late, great, Bob Hope. All I ask of Tony is that he make better decisions. He said “no masks & let China in”. Also, Bad arm!

...P.S. Tony should stop wearing the Washington Nationals’ Mask for two reasons. Number one, it is not up to the high standards that he should be exposing. Number two, it keeps reminding me that Tony threw out perhaps the worst first pitch in the history of Baseball!
    This continues to be one of the sillier fights Trump is getting into so far.

Pretty sure Trump is wildly jealous of Fauci getting to throw out a first pitch. Remember...last year? when Trump announced he would sadly not be able to make it to throw out the first pitch of the World Series or something - for which he had not actually been invited? People respect Fauci and he got to do a thing Trump wants to do. Of course he's going to make petty, passive-aggressive tweets about him.

Edit: Also, my mom is pretty sure she's got covid. She's in several risk groups and doesn't have health insurance so I'm sure this is going to go well.

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/19/politics/donald-trump-anthony-fauci-coronavirus/index.html
    A frustrated and at times foul-mouthed President Donald Trump claimed on a campaign call that people are tired of hearing about the deadly pandemic which has killed more than 215,000 Americans and trashed Dr. Anthony Fauci as a "disaster" who has been around for "500 years."

Referring to Fauci and other health officials as "idiots," Trump declared the country ready to move on from the health disaster, even as cases are again spiking and medical experts warn the worst may be yet to come.

Baselessly claiming that if Fauci was in charge more than half a million people would be dead in the United States, Trump portrayed the recommendations offered by his own administration to mitigate spread of the disease as a burdensome annoyance.

Social media age attention span btw, global pandemic is something you can just "get tired of". Time to move on, you're not the latest topic anymore Covid - just stop attacking us already we're so bored of you.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    He said it was just going to go away and it hasn't, wtf?? how dare reality not conform to his statements and wishes!!

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    In case it was missed, the border closure is being extended:

Bill Blair is Canada's Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness.

(tweet summary: Border restrictions on the US-Canada border extended until November 21st)

You have to give Trump credit, in a way he's gotten two border walls for the price of one.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    In case it was missed, the border closure is being extended:

Bill Blair is Canada's Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness.

(tweet summary: Border restrictions on the US-Canada border extended until November 21st)

You have to give Trump credit, in a way he's gotten two border walls for the price of one.

International travel is bad, noone should be doing it right now. I'd close the border between California and the rest of the USA for non essential travel if I could. Canada is doing very well, but its still a pointless source of contagion for us (and we a giant source of contagion for them) if the border is open.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/19/politics/donald-trump-anthony-fauci-coronavirus/index.html
    A frustrated and at times foul-mouthed President Donald Trump claimed on a campaign call that people are tired of hearing about the deadly pandemic which has killed more than 215,000 Americans and trashed Dr. Anthony Fauci as a "disaster" who has been around for "500 years."

Referring to Fauci and other health officials as "idiots," Trump declared the country ready to move on from the health disaster, even as cases are again spiking and medical experts warn the worst may be yet to come.

Baselessly claiming that if Fauci was in charge more than half a million people would be dead in the United States, Trump portrayed the recommendations offered by his own administration to mitigate spread of the disease as a burdensome annoyance.

Social media age attention span btw, global pandemic is something you can just "get tired of". Time to move on, you're not the latest topic anymore Covid - just stop attacking us already we're so bored of you.

I mean, a lockdown is exhausting. It's why you need to actually try to do shit while you have a lockdown.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I mean, a lockdown is exhausting. It's why you need to actually try to do shit while you have a lockdown.

A good argument for expanding educational prison resources and job training opportunities, if you're interested in rehabilitation over punishment, in an attempt to reduce recidivism.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Soooooo much the wrong thread.

daveNYC on
    Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    e: moved

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »

A good argument for expanding educational prison resources and job training opportunities, if you're interested in rehabilitation over punishment, in an attempt to reduce recidivism.

I mean I agree with you, you're definitely not wrong and the prison system in the US fucked up in a myriad of ways, but I'm not sure how we get to that tangent in the covid thread?

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    And hackers are targeting researchers by using the name of Harvard health researcher Atul Gawande:

Warning for COVID scientists: An impostor is asking scientists for an interview using the email atulgawande65@gmail.com (not mine) and signature “Atul Gawande, Staff Writer, The New Yorker.”

These are fake. Do not respond. I use a http://bwh.harvard.edu address for work. 1/4

One scientist did respond. It led to back-and-forth emails and a brief phone call to settle on an interview time. The impersonator sent a Microsoft Teams-like link. The result was a hack that accessed the victim’s computer, phone, apple ID, business and home gmail accounts. 2/4

They also accessed Twitter and other social media accounts.

They have possession of the scientist's financial account details.

And most disturbing, they tried to get into the person’s home security alarm system. 3/4

These actors seem to be “China virus lab theory” conspiracists targeting scientists who’ve done work w Chinese labs.

Pass this thread to your relevant colleagues.

I’m terribly sorry that anyone would use my identity to go after you.

The authorities are investigating. 4/4

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Washtenaw County has issued a stay home order for University of Michigan students. WHEEEEE

(Obviously excepting the football team because duh)

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Washtenaw County has issued a stay home order for University of Michigan students. WHEEEEE

Pretty tired of the idea that athletes are warriors going to battle for the honor and glory of a fictional caricature and location that isn't even their home.

They're kids being lied to for the glory of Rome. This is Circus Maximus shit.

• Options
    Blood for the Blood Bowl!

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    And hackers are targeting researchers by using the name of Harvard health researcher Atul Gawande:

Warning for COVID scientists: An impostor is asking scientists for an interview using the email atulgawande65@gmail.com (not mine) and signature “Atul Gawande, Staff Writer, The New Yorker.”

These are fake. Do not respond. I use a http://bwh.harvard.edu address for work. 1/4

One scientist did respond. It led to back-and-forth emails and a brief phone call to settle on an interview time. The impersonator sent a Microsoft Teams-like link. The result was a hack that accessed the victim’s computer, phone, apple ID, business and home gmail accounts. 2/4

They also accessed Twitter and other social media accounts.

They have possession of the scientist's financial account details.

And most disturbing, they tried to get into the person’s home security alarm system. 3/4

These actors seem to be “China virus lab theory” conspiracists targeting scientists who’ve done work w Chinese labs.

Pass this thread to your relevant colleagues.

I’m terribly sorry that anyone would use my identity to go after you.

The authorities are investigating. 4/4

This sounds very ... Russian.

I wonder how hard the authorities are investigating.

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Like on one hand, yay for them turning on him, but on the other hand fuck you CNN your grovelling helped him get there

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Pretty sure Trump is wildly jealous of Fauci getting to throw out a first pitch. Remember...last year? when Trump announced he would sadly not be able to make it to throw out the first pitch of the World Series or something - for which he had not actually been invited? People respect Fauci and he got to do a thing Trump wants to do. Of course he's going to make petty, passive-aggressive tweets about him.

All the hate Trump's been throwing at Dr. Fauci means the good doctor has needed a security detail for his protection since April. He can't even go on a run in a park alone due to all the death threats he's constantly receiving. The Trumpist death cult would murder him for daring to try to keep them alive instead of letting them all be piled up as blood sacrifices for the Dow.

• Options

And because we're approaching thread singularity, what are the rules on Michigan university students (as in do they vote in Michigan, or their home state), registration and early voting?

Cause given Republican fuckery, it expiring on Election Day means in person early voting is out. And all it takes is a very small extension, and oops, a statistically very liberal voter base is removed from the equation.

And having all students have to vote on the same day, in a pandemic, in a place that clearly has death cultist assholes, it just seems intended to have an effect on the election.

U of M has ~46K students. Trump won by just over 10K.

Please tell me I'm being paranoid here.

• Options

And because we're approaching thread singularity, what are the rules on Michigan university students (as in do they vote in Michigan, or their home state), registration and early voting?

Cause given Republican fuckery, it expiring on Election Day means in person early voting is out. And all it takes is a very small extension, and oops, a statistically very liberal voter base is removed from the equation.

And having all students have to vote on the same day, in a pandemic, in a place that clearly has death cultist assholes, it just seems intended to have an effect on the election.

Washtenaw is the most liberal county in the state and is run by Democrats. This is the university fucking up tremendously and the county needing to step in to protect lives.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

We don't have the appropriate reactions for what this video makes me feel. Please pretend I used something better while I go find a tissue.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options

Washtenaw is the most liberal county in the state and is run by Democrats. This is the university fucking up tremendously and the county needing to step in to protect lives.

Awesome applied for the first sentence, and the second half of the second sentence. And the prompt response.

Obviously not for the bolded bit.

• Options
    StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/10/20/925441975/studies-point-to-big-drop-in-covid-19-death-rates

I think it's been said before in this thread, but it's nice to finally see some media on it. Due to better clinical treatment's in hospitals, the mortality rate has dropped sharply among people hospitalized from where it was in march, by 18 points. So those who were hospitalized before had a 25.6% mortality, now it's down to 7.6%. That's after adjusting for age and preexisting conditions as well.

I know with the recent surges a lot of people are saying the lockdowns were pointless and this outbreak was inevitable, but the data shows clearly that they were absolutely essential. Hundreds of thousands or more would've died without the lockdowns, and we're in a much better place now than we were 7 months ago, even if things are looking grim lately. It's worth repeating that to people who need to hear it.

StarZapper on
  • Options
    StarZapper wrote: »
    https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/10/20/925441975/studies-point-to-big-drop-in-covid-19-death-rates

I think it's been said before in this thread, but it's nice to finally see some media on it. Due to better clinical treatment's in hospitals, the mortality rate has dropped sharply among people hospitalized from where it was in march, by 18 points. So those who were hospitalized before had a 25.6% mortality, now it's down to 7.6%. That's after adjusting for age and preexisting conditions as well.

I know with the recent surges a lot of people are saying the lockdowns were pointless and this outbreak was inevitable, but the data shows clearly that they were absolutely essential. Hundreds of thousands or more would've died without the lockdowns, and we're in a much better place now than we were 7 months ago, even if things are looking grim lately. It's worth repeating that to people who need to hear it.

Excellent, so your saying we should immediately cut our masks into the sewer and open the kissing booths. Message recieved!

• Options
    StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    tbloxham wrote: »

Excellent, so your saying we should immediately cut our masks into the sewer and open the kissing booths. Message recieved!

No, because the flip side to that good news is that if the hospitals are full none of that matters and we're back to square one. Better medical care is making the virus seem less deadly than it is, which is dangerous itself because if you can't get medical care since the hospitals are full, then it's just as deadly (even more so) then it ever was. So keep calm and carry on, the shutdowns are worth it. But it doesn't hurt to celebrate the small victories.

StarZapper on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    GdJXRkX.jpeg

• Options
    tbloxham wrote: »

No, because the flip side to that good news is that if the hospitals are full none of that matters and we're back to square one. Better medical care is making the virus seem less deadly than it is, which is dangerous itself because if you can't get medical care since the hospitals are full, then it's just as deadly (even more so) then it ever was. So keep calm and carry on, the shutdowns are worth it. But it doesn't hurt to celebrate the small victories.

I had hoped my inclusion of kissing booths would be enough to show my lack of seriousness ;)

Honestly, I think there's been some real improvement in care quality but I bet a solid 50% of that improvement is them being more proactive about admitting patients. That saves lives too, but a lot of people who would have been told to stay home in New York at the peak are probably being brought to hospital right now. If those people had maybe a 1% chance of death, bring them in is the right call, but it does mess up hospital death statistics for comparison.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular

I would say UM is fucking up the same amount as pretty much every other university in the country, Washtenaw County Health Department is just really good and doing what should be happening everywhere.

According to the numbers the health department sent out, UM related cases are 61% of activr cases countywide and over 1000 confirmed student cases among students while our county has had a total of 4229 confirmed cases altogether since the beginning of the pandemic.

Our testing is pretty good here, readily available with 24 hour turnaround but a lot of the numbers associated with UM are because we are doing a lot of good testing where other places are just taking a 'fuck it, yolo' approach to their students.

• Options
    I don't think that's really different than my point. Yeah, UM isn't much worse than anywhere else, but everywhere is really fucking bad.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Local university res had a big outbreak, after you know, they had a big party. Whoops.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    I am currently really mad with my employer. We have the national mandate to fund research, we always talk about evidence-based decisionmaking, we're advocates for science, and the president of our scientific decision-making body, a leading epidemiologist, has been very vocal about how the country needs to take stricter measures because the second wave is well and truly upon us - yet our directors just issued a message on Wednesday saying that they still expect us to be at the office at least 2-3 days each week, because otherwise we risk losing all those informal social contacts. Well, I'm all in favour of those informal social contacts, but not when the numbers are developing like this, not when the government's COVID-19 taskforce very loudly and clearly urges employers to let their staff work from home as much as possible, and definitely not when our directors told us, again and again, from March to June what a fantastic job we were doing while all working from home. And we were doing a fantastic job: we organised two calls for proposals at short notice, within a fifth of the time it usually takes to do those things, we ran the evaluation and did our jobs, all from home.

And now informal social contacts trump everything? The more I think about it, the more livid I am.
    Meanwhile... Last Sunday our government made strong, clear recommendations that wherever it is in any way possible, we should work from home, which my organisation couldn't really go against, seeing how we're state-funded. Compared to some (many?) of my colleagues, I'm lucky: I can easily work from home, I've got enough space, and other than my work laptop I don't even need additional equipment - as a gamer, I've got pretty much everything I need to work the way I would at the office. Same for my wife. Thinking of others who have children and who live in a flat, so you've got two adults both working at their laptops from their kitchen table...

Still, numbers are still rising steeply, so we may have to expect a circuit-breaker mini-lockdown or two in the coming weeks.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Well, I went to the office today for the first time in months... for ten minutes to get my employer provided flu shot.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    So I’m once again building shit very quickly to prepare for bank branches being closed due to ‘rona

I want to make a sarcastic comment about the US’s failings here but I’d be doing the same thing in Germany right now too

This sucks shit, and I hate that we have long enough left with this virus that there’s a decent (enough) chance for a completely new pandemic to pop up before we even get a vaccine for rona

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Holy shit there's a woman who beat the 1918 flu pandemic getting at 6, and also beat covid after getting it. She's 106 or 108.
    Just seeing it on the news. I think her twin is still alive too. Was posting this and heard it on the background.

Obviously we need to put these women in a lab and harvest their genes to make superior people in the future.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    A literal centenarian and survived two global pandemics?

Inject her essence directly into my very being!

Edit: A centenarian is a person who lives a hundred years, and centurion is either a Roman Soldier or a character from a badass and criminally underappreciated 80’s cartoon.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Today on "general corruption because fuck you", Trump is proposing gutting the civil service
    https://www.govexec.com/management/2020/10/stunning-executive-order-would-politicize-civil-service/169479/
    President Trump on Wednesday signed an executive order creating a new classification of “policy-making” federal employees that could strip swaths of the federal workforce of civil service protections just before the next president is sworn into office.

Why am I mentioning this here? Because this is probably the reason for it:
    Kettl said that the order could be far reaching in scope. Not only would high profile employees who publicly disagree with a president be targeted for removal, but lower level employees tasked with collecting the data and evidence underlying much of what the federal government does could be affected.

“If you think about examples of how this could play out, Dr. [Anthony] Fauci could be fired, as well as individuals at the [Centers for Disease Control and Prevention] who are producing analysis about the spread of the coronavirus, social distancing and the importance of masks,” Kettl said.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    He really, really wants to be able to fire Fauci for being more popular and respected than he is, and saying that he's wrong about things.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I think he wants to try and fire the entire federal government at once.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    I think he wants to try and fire the entire federal government at once.
    Spite is one of his biggest motivators. It's 'if I can't have it, no-one can', but with a government.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    The good news is it won't go into effect for three months from when he signed it which is coincidentally the day after the Inauguration.

This discussion has been closed.