As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How about [movies] that no longer exist?

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    The Blair Witch Project still holds up very well. Not just in how it was shot, but the minimalist way it tells the story, something the sequels fail miserably on.
    (Though I wish I could've seen the original idea for Book of Shadows.)

Like most, I have the version with this lame cover:
    2Q.png

So I went browsing, and found some art.

a97f0cf713652d012d9d97b54cbcc8b0.png
    the-blair-witch-project-chinese-movie-poster.png?width=430&height=587

This one is especially chilling:
    fb2a00ff05c5f1d5c897462b65df343a.png?width=395&height=585

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I like the last one a lot.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I like the last one a lot.

Yeah it works if you've seen the movie really well.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    What the heck is this!?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10922778/?ref_=tt_sims_tti

I'm intrigued, if it's a real thing...
    ft0la2vfz831.png

It seems to have the look down...

wVEsyIc.png
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    I still fear she's going to come running out of the woods and get me, as an adult, who knows it's fake, fifteen years after watching it.

Honestly what was depressing about the sequel to the first movie is they didn't keep the fake documentary style and just regular look of it until things went south.

Its kind of where I'm dissappointed in the various paranormal activity movies. I want a movie that looks like Ghost Adventurers until its not, not some boring "regular people recording things and being boring."

Like fucking supernatural with their ghost facers is about the only one to do real ghosts in a dumb ghost hunting show thing.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    If I were to do a sequel, I'd distance it from Burkittsville entirely. Make a similar story in another forest or country somewhere, and follow the same slow burn world building as the original film.

For a film that's such a lean 86 minutes, it somehow still takes its time building things up.

wVEsyIc.png
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    If I were to do a sequel, I'd distance it from Burkittsville entirely. Make a similar story in another forest or country somewhere, and follow the same slow burn world building as the original film.

For a film that's such a lean 86 minutes, it somehow still takes its time building things up.

Hard agree. A big thing I liked about the first movie was the creepy stories surrounding blair witch that the locals vaguely knew and added to it.

Maybe not even another blair witch, but a movie in that vein where its a vaguely supernatural event in the wilderness. Really I just want to be unsettled.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Wasn't Black Hills the video game?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    Wasn't Black Hills the video game?

No, that's just Blair Witch. This looks like something else, and it says it has a director...

wVEsyIc.png
    Preacher wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Hard agree. A big thing I liked about the first movie was the creepy stories surrounding blair witch that the locals vaguely knew and added to it.

Maybe not even another blair witch, but a movie in that vein where its a vaguely supernatural event in the wilderness. Really I just want to be unsettled.

Supposedly the scene with the little girl going 'no, no!' and telling her mother to stop talking was 100% unscripted.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Honestly what was depressing about the sequel to the first movie is they didn't keep the fake documentary style and just regular look of it until things went south.

Its kind of where I'm dissappointed in the various paranormal activity movies. I want a movie that looks like Ghost Adventurers until its not, not some boring "regular people recording things and being boring."

Like fucking supernatural with their ghost facers is about the only one to do real ghosts in a dumb ghost hunting show thing.

You might be into Grave Encounters 1&2 on Shudder. I was pleasantly surprised by those two movies.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Bleh. Jeff Bridges has Lymphoma.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    The Telegraph's Guy Stagg, meanwhile, thought that the movie needed a car chase in the middle.

From the Tinker Tailor wiki. One hopes he was being sarcastic, because if not that's the dumbest thing I've seen a professional critic write down.

On the other hand a 30-minute sequence of Guillam and Smiley following someone slowly in a car could have worked

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Bleh. Jeff Bridges has Lymphoma.

Fuck cancer, in all its permutations.

But I have faith that the Dude shall abide.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    With any luck, he’ll beat it. Lymphoma is thankfully one of the easier cancers to put into remission. Good luck, duder.

• flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Shudder currently has Slumber Party Massacre I and II, as well as Chopping Mall and Sorority Babes at the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama. Time for some trashy B movie fun! I remember being particularly fond of the latter.

Slumber Party 2 sucks, feel free to skip it.

Slumber Party 1 and Chopping Mall are so good!

Oh, I disagree completely. Slumber Party 1 is a completely boilerplate slasher movie. The killer is just some guy with a drill. Nothing about it really stands out. In Slumber Party 2, the killer is a rockabilly musician with a giant guitar that has a drill built into the neck, who shimmies around and delivers bad music-related one-liners. The movie makes absolutely no sense and is a complete farce compared to the first one, but it's a lot more fun.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Shudder currently has Slumber Party Massacre I and II, as well as Chopping Mall and Sorority Babes at the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama. Time for some trashy B movie fun! I remember being particularly fond of the latter.

Oh, I disagree completely. Slumber Party 1 is a completely boilerplate slasher movie. The killer is just some guy with a drill. Nothing about it really stands out. In Slumber Party 2, the killer is a rockabilly musician with a giant guitar that has a drill built into the neck, who shimmies around and delivers bad music-related one-liners. The movie makes absolutely no sense and is a complete farce compared to the first one, but it's a lot more fun.

Is slumber party the one with the vhs cover has Jason's mask, Freddie's glove, and more hanging out the backpack or am I thinking of a different movie ?

Now my mind is thinking of sleep away camp but that's not it

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    There is that freaky bit in Blair Witch 2 when you learn
    they were all under a spell.

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Blair Witch 2 was supposed to be about digging into the errata and meta-world around the Blair Witch 1 viral marketing campaign. It was going to be something akin to Wes Craven's New Nightmare but centered on the Blair Witch and probably would've been much more interesting if not for studio meddling.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Blair Witch was genius, and terrifying

No sequel is worth mentioning in the same breath

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Blair Witch in fact is a fantastic example of that is very clever and ground breaking

Let's leave it alone

Other good example; The Matrix

Solar on
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Blair Witch in fact is a fantastic example of that is very clever and ground breaking

Let's leave it alone

I recently found out I had, at some point, bought the 4k version of the Matrix.

I rewatched it last night, it looks amazing in 4k with HDR on.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Re:Born started out rough and emo japanese RPGish, but then settles into a good action movie. 20% Rambo, 30% Man From Nowhere, 20% John Wick, 30% Metal Gear, that's the formula here. Elite Japanese special forces guy named Ghost has severe PTSD and trouble adjusting to life as a shop clerk as he looks after his niece, only he's now hunted by his ex squad (who is led by the guy who actually voices Snake in the MGS games). They kidnap the girl so he goes elite guerilla warfare on 200 people.

What threw me off in the beginning and made me seriously doubt renting it was a few things; it showed up on Apple as a new release even though it was made in 2016, the first thing you see when it starts is a "Shudder Exclusive" which isn't a bar of quality, and the first 6 minutes really really give off this cheap TV level movie since it's a bunch of soldiers in an abandoned building. I mean, what is this, a Netflix show a dab. But then the movie settles into what it wants to be, which is basically a Metal Gear story condensed into 100 minutes and removing all the pontificating bullshit. You've got some enemies who have names like Abyss Walker, moments of memes like an ally doing his own "why are we still here," and even Les Enfants Teribles. The action is good and it focuses more on knife fighting, using the idea that this guy is so good he doesn't use guns in fighting his enemies because combat is primal. In some places this gets stupid when ten enemies could easily just shoot him and be done with it but it at least tries to establish he keeps dodging everything so you have to get up close.

Some fights go on too long since they're just goons and low level fodder, and you've got just some moments of cinematography sucking because they sort of switch between 24FPS and high frame rate like it's a TV show, but on the whole the movie won me over after starting so low. Good rental, not as good as Man From Nowhere.

• Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    The biggest crime of Dark City is that the opening scroll spoils the whole movie, presumably because the producers were worried that people wouldn't get what's going on.

Imagine the glorious post scarcity world we would live in if only the opening scroll from this movie had been deleted before release.

steam_sig.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    It's not an opening scroll, it's voice-over exposition. The slow pan from the stars is still good.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Re-watched ANH the other night on DVD; it's I guess the 2008 DVD version they shipped and geez, it looks and sounds really rough. They ever put out a much better version from the masters or whatever they call them?

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    The Blair Witch sequel has a good twist to it. It just doesn't match up with the lost footage setup of the original.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I remember two things about BW2: an attractive goth girl with blue eyes and an orgy. I couldn't tell you anything else about that flick, but I wasn't a fan of the first one either.

RickRude wrote: »

Is slumber party the one with the vhs cover has Jason's mask, Freddie's glove, and more hanging out the backpack or am I thinking of a different movie ?

Now my mind is thinking of sleep away camp but that's not it

That's sleepaway camp.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Essential viewing on all the stuff done to Blair Witch 2:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAkmHSzUIHQ

There's a good film somewhere in there between all the interference.

wVEsyIc.png
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Re-watched ANH the other night on DVD; it's I guess the 2008 DVD version they shipped and geez, it looks and sounds really rough. They ever put out a much better version from the masters or whatever they call them?

If we are talking Star Wars, yes the 4K version released this year (on Disney+ and UHD Blu-Ray) is really the best looking and sounding version of the film.

Here is a list of updates for the 4K version.
    https://thedigitalbits.com/featured/articles/sw-new-hope-disneyplus-4k-2019

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    As for the (ironically) bad Blair Witch sequel... oddly enough, I think it was more appealing before it dropped the shroud.

1or66gnaal3b.png
    3yamnbaio82c.png

Those posters remind me more of the original TBWP posters than the final one.

I wanted to like Blair Witch, I really did. Adam Wingard and Simon Barrett, how could they possibly go wrong?

I don't know, and I'd love to find out, but they sure did in every conceivable way, down from not having as much lore or interviews, or showing way too much of the witch(or whatever the hell that is), or making the witch way, way too OP. It sure has its chilling moments, but far from the original's top standards.

wVEsyIc.png
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »

Let's leave it alone

I recently found out I had, at some point, bought the 4k version of the Matrix.

I rewatched it last night, it looks amazing in 4k with HDR on.

Yeah, the initial drop into the Matrix with the green morphing code and then the Lobby scene...hunghhh!

Though the highway chase and the effects on the twins in Reloaded is IMO the best looking bit of 4K in the remaster of the trilogy.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    For any of you physical media buying dinosaurs (like myself) apparently the 4K release of Back to the Future that hit stores today is fantastic.

https://youtu.be/CcpXo3IXupQ

Excellent use of HDR and Wide Color Gamut. I'm very excited to check it out, as BTTF is easily one of my favorite films ever.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    For any of you physical media buying dinosaurs (like myself) apparently the 4K release of Back to the Future that hit stores today is fantastic.

https://youtu.be/CcpXo3IXupQ

Excellent use of HDR and Wide Color Gamut. I'm very excited to check it out, as BTTF is easily one of my favorite films ever.

I collect physical media too. With streaming services the quality and availability of movies are just completely unreliable. Especially in Canada.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    As long as 4K BTTF doesn’t have the shitty case of the 25th anniversary blu rays I’ll buy it

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    As long as 4K BTTF doesn’t have the shitty case of the 25th anniversary blu rays I’ll buy it

I’ll let you know later today as it should be arriving momentarily to my doorstep.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I still chuckle and eyeroll thinking back to Blair Witch and how many people I knew that were convinced it was real, even tho the actors were appearing on late night talk shows. But then again it was High School era so a couple thousand of us were maybe sharing eight brain cells

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I still chuckle and eyeroll thinking back to Blair Witch and how many people I knew that were convinced it was real, even tho the actors were appearing on late night talk shows. But then again it was High School era so a couple thousand of us were maybe sharing eight brain cells

It was 1999. You could do things like that back then because the media landscape was just way less connected and so the kayfabe was less obvious.

This discussion has been closed.