As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Kingdom Hearts] Melody of Melancholy

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Yeah I actually think it’s pretty fun, I’m excited for the full—SIXTY DOLLARS??

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    IMO it depends on how much is in the game music-wise.

• Options
    ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    Yeah, I kinda had that sticker shock moment, too.

KHInsider has this song list from the JP website that gets updated. I thought I saw somewhere there will be 140 tracks total, give or take.

Notable: Some tracks are coming from the recent orchestra concert and the Piano Collections album, which is nice that they are drawing from non-OST sources.

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Nothing important to add. Just wanted to say Face My Fears really grew on me.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
  • Options
    ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    PSA: Melody of Memories is out in Japan now and spoilers are starting to show up on the Tube.

So either selectively social media lockdown for a little while or get those juicy story bits, your call.

Alternatively, Dark Road Chapter 3 was released not too long ago and story spoilers are available out on the Tube as well. Union Cross still has a bit of a story gap between the JP and Global releases but the most recent story update (JP) occurred about a month ago.

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    I did not realize this game was gonna have like, new story stuff

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I did not realize this game was gonna have like, new story stuff

Every KH game has new story stuff lol. I thought KH3 would be the end of people being shocked by this.

• Options
    Sanctuary
    it didn't seem like a new Kingdom Hearts game! it was just a music game!

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    read the story spoilers
    lol

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    I am having a very good time with Melody of Memory, for what it's worth

It's a blast to play and it's pretty perfect to have on Switch where I just do a couple songs on my break at work

there is no actual story stuff until literally the end of the game and the story that there is...hoo boy

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    That they
    STILL do Kairi dirty, even in a rhythm game has reached the point of parody

In the ‘final battle’ where you spend some time with Kairi just floating around, Sora LITERALLY REPLACES KAIRI specifically for the cool spectacle fight against Xehanort, then immediately disappears right after it’s done.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Lol, that's terrible.

• Options
    Sanctuary
    I can't wait to find out what the story is.

• Options
    Simple & Clean
    Worked on the World Tour over the weekend to get as many tracks unlocked as possible. I'm up to where the path splits between the BBS and 3D worlds. Sticking to Beginner mode until I have to kick the difficulty up to complete the missions required to keep moving forward.

So far really enjoying the game overall. A few observations:

- Holy cow there is a crap ton of things to collect and synthesize in this game. Had no trouble maxing out my Moogle level (probably the easiest silver-level trophy earned, IMO).

- The Keyblade section of the collections menu doesn't let you select a card to zoom in unlike the rest of the collectable sections. Either a weird bug or just forgot to code that in?

- With regards to the Today's Tunes on Track Selection, is it just a mechanism to go back and replay tracks for the fun of it or do you get some additional bonus or increased XP/item drop with playing the track?

Haven't tried VS Battles yet, will probably wait until I at least finish the World Tour first to get as much unlocked as possible.

• Options
    Simple & Clean
    Worked on the World Tour over the weekend to get as many tracks unlocked as possible. I'm up to where the path splits between the BBS and 3D worlds. Sticking to Beginner mode until I have to kick the difficulty up to complete the missions required to keep moving forward.

So far really enjoying the game overall. A few observations:

- Holy cow there is a crap ton of things to collect and synthesize in this game. Had no trouble maxing out my Moogle level (probably the easiest silver-level trophy earned, IMO).

- The Keyblade section of the collections menu doesn't let you select a card to zoom in unlike the rest of the collectable sections. Either a weird bug or just forgot to code that in?

- With regards to the Today's Tunes on Track Selection, is it just a mechanism to go back and replay tracks for the fun of it or do you get some additional bonus or increased XP/item drop with playing the track?

Haven't tried VS Battles yet, will probably wait until I at least finish the World Tour first to get as much unlocked as possible.

How good at rhythm games do you have to be to get to the end of the story mode? If the answer is "pretty good", I'm not gonna buy it. I'll check YouTube or wait for it to join Gamepass since all the others have...

• Options
    Simple & Clean
    If you tried the demo out and seem to be getting through the Beginner mode tracks OK without missing too many beats and can handle the visual distractions of your team marching through the various KH worlds with Heartless/Nobodies/Unversed/Nightmares Dream Eaters charging at you then you should be fine getting through the full game's story mode.

You do get access to potions and items in the full game that you can set before you start the track to help with auto-healing in case you lose track of the rhythm and take damage to your rhythm meter HP bar.

• Options
    Sanctuary
    I finished Melody of Memory and just realized Face My Fears is not in the game and I am unreasonably baffled

I can't figure out a reason, there's like 150 songs in the game and the main KH3 song is not one of them! they have all the other Utada songs, including the other KH3 one!

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Simple & Clean
    Yeah, there were some curious omissions and additions across the board, guessing it has to do with not getting the rights to certain songs or properties or other issues. Just off the top of my head, other than Face My Fears (which I'm figuring SE didn't get the Skrillex camp's OK):

- No KH 1 Tarzan stage/music (understandable; never reprised after the first game due to copyright hell)
    - No Winnie the Pooh stage/music (not sure about this one, maybe the whole Pooh/China thing and didn't want to risk the game getting banned?)
    - No Pirates of the Caribbean stage/music (not sure why not on this one, either, although the lack of KH 3 Pirates may have to do with the next point...)
    - Only one Memory Dive stage for the KH 3 worlds (probably due to the graphical choice in creating the previous field stages in the "classic" version, the exception being the Keyblade Graveyard related songs since they reused the BBS stage for those)

SE Disney did add as unlockable songs Beauty and the Beast, A Whole New World, and Circle of Life (straight from the respective movies' soundtracks) along with a healthy dose of everybody's favorite, never overplayed, Oscar™ and Emmy™ award winning song Let it Go.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Man remember when they just dropped in the actual footage from the movie where she sings let it go in KH3?

Remember how you weren't allowed to interact with the plot of that movie at all in that level?

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    It wasn't the footage from the movie, just a damned close replica.

No I don't.
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean

Kingdom Hearts series coming to PC on the epic store only. Wario64 is a twitter person who is reliable about game news.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Sanctuary
    turtleant wrote: »
    Man remember when they just dropped in the actual footage from the movie where she sings let it go in KH3?

Remember how you weren't allowed to interact with the plot of that movie at all in that level?

Frozen and Tangled were the weakest worlds for this imo.

It was almost comical the levels they went to to make sure Sora was incapacitated or otherwise just unavailable during the movie scenes.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Sora: "My work here is done."
    Anna: "But you didn't do anything."
    Sora: *back to the gummi ship*

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    turtleant wrote: »

Frozen and Tangled were the weakest worlds for this imo.

It was almost comical the levels they went to to make sure Sora was incapacitated or otherwise just unavailable during the movie scenes.

sorry but i'm here to tell you that the frozen world is actually the best world in KH3 because, while they do just drop footage from the movie in, they also smash cut to goofy like just in the fuckin middle of the song like he's supposed to be there and it is the funniest thing that has ever happened in a square enix game full stop

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    KH3 has convinced me that they just need to have all the Disney worlds going forward be from Pixar movies. Pixar don't give a fuck if you put their movies in this KH anime-ass bullshit.

Having Woody shit talk an Organization member is the type of crossover that KH needs more of. Not "here's a cut down version of the movie".

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    they absolutely need more weird mashup stuff happening and less "let's summarize the plot of the film we're visiting"

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Simple & Clean
    H0b0man wrote: »
    KH3 has convinced me that they just need to have all the Disney worlds going forward be from Pixar movies. Pixar don't give a fuck if you put their movies in this KH anime-ass bullshit.

Having Woody shit talk an Organization member is the type of crossover that KH needs more of. Not "here's a cut down version of the movie".

Eh, the Winnie the Pooh worlds are always some of my favorites because it feels like Sora going to therapy during the agonizing drama of the main plot. He just takes a minute to help out some sweet dummy stuffed animals for a minute and in exchange they patiently listen to anything that's got him down.

Speaking of 3 specifically, the non-Pixar Big Hero 6 was a good world. The last boss is extremely fitting to important plot beats in 3 (artificial bodies being used for good or evil) and it logically continues from the plot of the movie.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular

Kingdom Hearts series coming to PC on the epic store only. Wario64 is a twitter person who is reliable about game news.

motherFUCKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    The Tangled world didn't bother me because I didn't know a god damn thing about Tangled so I just enjoyed the story.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    The dancing thing was actually kinda fun.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Tangled was fine. Like, I can see the seams looking back. The bit where Sora gets KO'd so that he can't interact with the movie's climax is obvious in hindsight. Also, Donald doing nothing when Flynn needs healing is ridiculous. But the stuff leading up to it was fine, and it was fun to get to the castle town and all that stuff.

The main issue of a world is Frozen; that one's real obvious about Sora not being allowed to interact with the movie's plot even once

• Options
    Simple & Clean
    I'm aware that I'm probably the only active poster in the forum playing this, so here's an announcement made directly to me alone.
    KHUX official Twitter announcing KHUX and Dark Road being sunsetted in May 2021
    I'm going to miss it, not joking at all.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I know people who spent so much money on that

• Options
    Simple & Clean
    Wow, end of an era :(

It had a pretty good run considering it started off as a JP only browser game in 2013.

I still have it on my phone and pop it on for story developments but really stopped investing my time and money into it a while back.

Speaking of story, I'm guessing they must have the ending done and in the can and going for a massive wrap-up on both games soon since the EoS is a few months away.

• Options
    Simple & Clean
    Wow, end of an era :(

It had a pretty good run considering it started off as a JP only browser game in 2013.

I still have it on my phone and pop it on for story developments but really stopped investing my time and money into it a while back.

Speaking of story, I'm guessing they must have the ending done and in the can and going for a massive wrap-up on both games soon since the EoS is a few months away.

Yes, it's confirmed we'll see the ending in April. I wonder how many story updates Global will need to catch up. For anyone interested in reading the story (and there is A LOT), download the game before May and you'll be able to read the whole thing without playing in the offline mode.

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    So Kingdom Hearts Union X has finally ended. The final story chapter dropped in Japan with the NA version coming soon probably (they rushed through all the story updates to catch global up to the Japanese release), but having seen the translation, it is as buck-wild as can be expected. Here's some of the ridiculous stuff that stood out to me.

Xehanort is the KHUX player-character reincarnated, because of course. The other keyblade users in the data world went to sleep, and their Chirity became the Dream Eater Spirits we see in DDD.

Most of the Union Leaders got out of the data world. Ephemer became the founder of Scala ad Caelum (which was again shown to be built on the ruins of Daybreak Town), Brain potentially ends up there at a later date before the world is destroyed (or much later in the future, who knows), Lauriam and Elrena end up in Enchanted Dominion in different spots (Lauriam surrounded by flowers, Elrena in the rain and lightning) likely using Maleficent as the conduit back to the real world. Ventus ends up in the Keyblade Graveyard with a shadowy figure approaching him. We aren't shown what happened to Skuld but considering Ephemer survived it wouldn't be shocking to see she made it out also.

I put a potentially with Brain because we see Luxu take off his hood and reveal that he had the same face as Brain, so either he can just adjust his face, or he killed Brain and took his place, or something else who knows this series is stupid about actually explaining things.

The traitor stuff with the Forebearers and the Keyblade War were all some bullshit created by the MoM to have 6 of the 13 darknesses inhabit those hearts as something of a prison. Another of the darknesses is contained by the MoM, and 4 of them were shown to be kept in the data world by the player-character. That leaves two more, one of which is likely contained in Ventus as Vanitas, and one likely running around the real world that is the final one to be defeated (likely Xehanort). MoM states that darkness needs a physical form to ultimately be defeated, which makes it seem like his plan is to sacrifice himself and the Forebearers at the hands of some light people (read: Sora).

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    i tried to play that game but after like a week of auto battling through alice in wonderland and alladin repeatedly i had not yet hit any of the real story beats so i assumed it was going to take way too long to get anything out of it

• Options
    Simple & Clean
    Nirya wrote: »
    So Kingdom Hearts Union X has finally ended. The final story chapter dropped in Japan with the NA version coming soon probably (they rushed through all the story updates to catch global up to the Japanese release), but having seen the translation, it is as buck-wild as can be expected. Here's some of the ridiculous stuff that stood out to me.

Xehanort is the KHUX player-character reincarnated, because of course. The other keyblade users in the data world went to sleep, and their Chirity became the Dream Eater Spirits we see in DDD.

Most of the Union Leaders got out of the data world. Ephemer became the founder of Scala ad Caelum (which was again shown to be built on the ruins of Daybreak Town), Brain potentially ends up there at a later date before the world is destroyed (or much later in the future, who knows), Lauriam and Elrena end up in Enchanted Dominion in different spots (Lauriam surrounded by flowers, Elrena in the rain and lightning) likely using Maleficent as the conduit back to the real world. Ventus ends up in the Keyblade Graveyard with a shadowy figure approaching him. We aren't shown what happened to Skuld but considering Ephemer survived it wouldn't be shocking to see she made it out also.

I put a potentially with Brain because we see Luxu take off his hood and reveal that he had the same face as Brain, so either he can just adjust his face, or he killed Brain and took his place, or something else who knows this series is stupid about actually explaining things.

The traitor stuff with the Forebearers and the Keyblade War were all some bullshit created by the MoM to have 6 of the 13 darknesses inhabit those hearts as something of a prison. Another of the darknesses is contained by the MoM, and 4 of them were shown to be kept in the data world by the player-character. That leaves two more, one of which is likely contained in Ventus as Vanitas, and one likely running around the real world that is the final one to be defeated (likely Xehanort). MoM states that darkness needs a physical form to ultimately be defeated, which makes it seem like his plan is to sacrifice himself and the Forebearers at the hands of some light people (read: Sora).

Having played this myself about a week and change ago, one of my many questions is:
    If the girls formless Darkness takes a physical form is defeated, will it actually die? Or just become formless again? Things have a bad habit of never dying in this series.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    Nirya wrote: »

I have a question.

What the fuck?