As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

🖥️🎮 - Per Aspera, Nine Witches, Haven, Phogs, Morbid & El Hijo out today!

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Just last night I was thinking about games I played just because they were video games.

Like, I played several Crash Bandicoot games, but I don't know if I actually ever really liked them - they just kind of fit the idea of what video games were to me and I played them as a result. Presumably I purchased them or got them as gifts or whatever, but I have very little memory of that.

And I feel like that kind of fits into the idea of the video game scarcity of the past (and the present lack of it, or even the reverse, the inundation of games). I can't say anything for certain, but I wouldn't be surprised if I played Crash Bandicoot because I went to the EB or the Funcoland or whatever and it was a game that was available to me for what I could afford. I know I also sought out specific games during this time, I know I was also playing FF7 or BG2 or whatever, and those didn't happen that way, but there was definitely like, a certain class of video games that I just played because they were what was available to me (and because I was a twelve year old without clearly defined taste or better things to do with my time).

And sometimes, you were lucky if they even were games!

Lookin' at you, Outpost.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Thinking about that Sierra ranking article brought back this really specific memory

When I was in 4th or 5th grade, I saw EcoQuest in a jewel case in a bargain bin at a Walmart. I convinced my mom to get it for me. And I loved that game. Loved, loved, loved. I got to play as a kid my age, making animal friends, doing science, and saving our world from real threats that endanger it. It felt empowering and optimistic and magical, and it explored spaces and themes and emotions that I'd never seen in games. I was absolutely over the moon for it. It was my favorite game ever, at that time.

Because the jewel case release was a reprinting of the game, the little CD booklet mentioned that there was also an EcoQuest 2. I was desperate to play it. For my birthday, I got a card from my mom with an IOU for EcoQuest 2. Because she could not, for the life of her, find a copy of it. This was ~1995, in suburban Colorado. She checked Walmart, Circuit City, the KB Toys at the mall. No dice. And places like that, they wouldn't special order anything for you. She couldn't hop on Amazon and order it. She just genuinely had no idea how to get a copy of this game, and never did find it.

It's so weird to remember a time when PC games were purely physical things that one might have trouble obtaining. I've got hundreds of games in my Steam library, many of which I will never actually play. "Scarcity" is a completely foreign concept in PC gaming, now.

remember before when I mentioned that I once paid a hundred bucks for the first four quest for glory games?

that was because you literally could not find them in any format except either their original releases or via a collection anthology, all of which was long out of print in 2006

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

oh hey this is on steam now

weirdly it was released on all kind of platforms in 2019:

Microsoft Windows
    Nintendo 3DS
    Nintendo Switch
    PlayStation 3
    PlayStation 4
    PlayStation Vita
    Wii
    Wii U

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Brolo on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    Doom Eternal DLC impressions:
    Either I'm out of practice or this is harder than the base game. I'm playing on ultra violence (the same as what I played the base game on) and it is kicking my ass.

Oh sweet, good to know. I was feeling that I was obligated to download it and give it at least a spin since I already put down on the ultra deluxe super edition, but now I can save some time and not even bother.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Frost Giant is a good name for an ex-Blizzard team.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Brolo wrote: »
    oh hey this is on steam now

weirdly it was released on all kind of platforms in 2019:

Microsoft Windows
    Nintendo 3DS
    Nintendo Switch
    PlayStation 3
    PlayStation 4
    PlayStation Vita
    Wii
    Wii U

It was an Epic Exclusive, had to stay off Steam but they don't care if you put it anywhere else

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    Also, shit. I gotta re-download and beat Doom Eternal, I couldn't play for a couple months due to arm issues and now I gotta finish it for the dlc. I'm on the 2nd to last level I believe, on Nightmare.

• Options
    Triple post but its ok because its about Obra Dinn

If you have an hour and want to watch a man 3d model a boat, enjoy

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    hanp4tnjrspu.png
    New Humble Bundle:
    https://www.humblebundle.com/games/thrills-chills

0,84€/$1:
    • Pacify
    • DISTRAINT 2

BTA:
    • The Letter - Horror Visual Novel
    • DARQ
    • Blood: Fresh Supply
    • DESOLATE
    • Detention

12,71€/$15:
    • The Blackout Club
    • DUSK
    • Layers of Fear 2

HiT BiT on
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Part of me is kind of nostalgic for these quixotic quests we'd go on as kids. It's objectively better for everyone that we have easy digital distribution, it means people can make games without being tied to physical manufacturing and packaging and all the waste that goes into that etc etc, sure sure, but...there was something really rewarding about actually finding a thing you'd been looking for for weeks/months/years. It was a treasure. My gazillions of Steam games are never going to thrill me as much as, say, the complete runs of some of my favorite comic books that I spent 20 years assembling.

You just made me realize this is the precise reason I collect physical books and eschew e-readers. When I'm done with a book I can place it on my shelf. It can be taken down and reread as many times as I want. I can show it to a friend. I can't do any of that if it's just in my Amazon account or whatever.

• Options

Man, the phasmophobia dude is fuckin rich now

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »

Man, the phasmophobia dude is fuckin rich now

he deserves it, i'm still shitting my pants 3 weeks later

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    oh jeez, is Phasmophobia just one person? I will forgive how incredibly janky it seems then

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    oh jeez, is Phasmophobia just one person? I will forgive how incredibly janky it seems then

1 person and still in Early Access

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

it's also still early access

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AToQivtYboY
    Arclands is a game about creating a buzzing village and becoming a powerful enough wizard to defend it.

Create your own persistent character
    Level up and learn mighty spells to both smite your foes and help your village
    Build your city and ensure a thriving economy
    Attract more and more citizens and grow your village
    Defend your settlement with your wizard, a diverse set of soldiers, traps, towers and artifacts
    Explore the Arclands and bring home rare resources and magic artifacts
    Meet other banished people, do their questline and recruit them
    Even if your city falls: Rescue some followers and resources, get experience for how well you've done and try again

this is a little citybuilder that's kickstarting now

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Frost Giant is a good name for an ex-Blizzard team.

They must be under a Jotunn of pressure to make something good

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Either I'm out of practice or this is harder than the base game. I'm playing on ultra violence (the same as what I played the base game on) and it is kicking my ass.

Oh sweet, good to know. I was feeling that I was obligated to download it and give it at least a spin since I already put down on the ultra deluxe super edition, but now I can save some time and not even bother.

I've played some more and can give a bit more detail.

You start the DLC with all the upgrades from the campaign, except you don't have the Crucible. The enemy composition of each encounter kind of starts out like you'd see in the middle of the base game and very quickly ramps up to what you'd see at the end of the game.

The slayer gate in the first level features an archvile and then after killing that there's a doom hunter and a tyrant at the same time. That was the point where I decided I was tired of dying multiple times per checkpoint and bumped the difficulty down to Hurt Me Plenty.

Then there's all sorts of "fun" stuff like a fight with two marauders, a new enemy that can only be killed with one specific gun and a buff totem suddenly appearing in the middle of a fight.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I kinda want to play through space marine

Maybe I would stream it or just do an lp

Who would watch me play through space marine?

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Good to see Supergiant in the Top 10 sellers on Steam. Go go Hades!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    Also, G String has had a character just show up in latex fetish gear in a cutscene, and has some other things going wrt women

It's certainly very cyberpunk. Sometimes it does start to become punk tho

is it sexy latex fetish gear

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    an interesting question, can anything be said to be objectively sexy? Truly, a deep thought.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    an interesting question, can anything be said to be objectively sexy? Truly, a deep thought.

Shit, does Yoko Taro post here?

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    G String conveys a lot about how shite it's world is by having the set up for why you're shooting cops/involved in cop shooting literally just be "people carry out regular terror attacks on banks and bankers, cops respond by sweeping the block with snipers and explosive drones, you happen to be in the block,"

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular

You start the DLC with all the upgrades from the campaign, except you don't have the Crucible. The enemy composition of each encounter kind of starts out like you'd see in the middle of the base game and very quickly ramps up to what you'd see at the end of the game.

The slayer gate in the first level features an archvile and then after killing that there's a doom hunter and a tyrant at the same time. That was the point where I decided I was tired of dying multiple times per checkpoint and bumped the difficulty down to Hurt Me Plenty.

Then there's all sorts of "fun" stuff like a fight with two marauders, a new enemy that can only be killed with one specific gun and a buff totem suddenly appearing in the middle of a fight.

Yeah, I didn't even get to Marauders when I played, the one thing everyone seems universally agree sucks ass in that game and which I'm sure would've made me pulled all my hair out. It was in fact pounding my face repeatedly against a slayer gate that I decided the game was too miserable to play through anymore, so this all seems to track. Shame.

Ah well!

• Options
    all i'm saying is i've seen a lot of people who think "latex fetish gear, that's a thing people like" and put it in the game and clearly do not know why people like it

phantasmagoria puzzle of flesh club dot mov

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    all i'm saying is i've seen a lot of people who think "latex fetish gear, that's a thing people like" and put it in the game and clearly do not know why people like it

phantasmagoria puzzle of flesh club dot mov

I do not know why people like it

No need to explain though please

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    WELL YOU SEE

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    bad bahamut, consent is important

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

Yeah, I didn't even get to Marauders when I played, the one thing everyone seems universally agree sucks ass in that game and which I'm sure would've made me pulled all my hair out. It was in fact pounding my face repeatedly against a slayer gate that I decided the game was too miserable to play through anymore, so this all seems to track. Shame.

Ah well!

The slayer gates are all optional, all you miss out on is one gun that imo isn't very good. They're the hardest stuff in the game, the rest of it is still very good.

• Options
    Festish stuff is for others.

I am sexually an invalid target error. They'll never make sense to me.

• Options

twitch just... deleting content without telling streamers what they're deleting or giving them a chance to counter-claim

• Options
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    There's something very funny in Amazon throwing infinite money at video games and owning the main streaming platform but still not making a single good looking game so far.

• Options
    MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    Thinking about that Sierra ranking article brought back this really specific memory

When I was in 4th or 5th grade, I saw EcoQuest in a jewel case in a bargain bin at a Walmart. I convinced my mom to get it for me. And I loved that game. Loved, loved, loved. I got to play as a kid my age, making animal friends, doing science, and saving our world from real threats that endanger it. It felt empowering and optimistic and magical, and it explored spaces and themes and emotions that I'd never seen in games. I was absolutely over the moon for it. It was my favorite game ever, at that time.

Because the jewel case release was a reprinting of the game, the little CD booklet mentioned that there was also an EcoQuest 2. I was desperate to play it. For my birthday, I got a card from my mom with an IOU for EcoQuest 2. Because she could not, for the life of her, find a copy of it. This was ~1995, in suburban Colorado. She checked Walmart, Circuit City, the KB Toys at the mall. No dice. And places like that, they wouldn't special order anything for you. She couldn't hop on Amazon and order it. She just genuinely had no idea how to get a copy of this game, and never did find it.

It's so weird to remember a time when PC games were purely physical things that one might have trouble obtaining. I've got hundreds of games in my Steam library, many of which I will never actually play. "Scarcity" is a completely foreign concept in PC gaming, now.

This post brought back my really specific memory of playing both EcoQuest 1 and 2 as a kid and now I really want to replay them. FWIW ~10 year old me heartily recommends EcoQuest 2 as even better than the 1st and thinks you should hunt it down and play it!

Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    the search for cetus ruled incredibly hard

• Options
    MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    my strongest memory of EcoQuest 2 is you get a dust buster as a quest/puzzle item called the WhisperQuiet Crudsucker and for some reason i've never forgotten that name.

Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    which Police Quest was it where if you drive your car away from the precinct at the beginning of the game you instantly die because you didn't check for bombs?

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »
    Festish stuff is for others.

I am sexually an invalid target error. They'll never make sense to me.

yeah all I want to do is eat ass and engage in mr boop style orgies with bugs bunny, goku and mickey mouse

not any of that perv stuff you freaks seem to be into

This discussion has been closed.