As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[East Asia] - Shinzo Abe shot, killed

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    You have to really eff up to get Japan on the same team as Vietnam and Indonesia.

Also thought Japan couldnt export military goods?

No standing military. I don't think there's anything about manufacture and sale.

I mean, they basically have a standing military. They just dont call it that.
    cckerberos wrote: »
    You have to really eff up to get Japan on the same team as Vietnam and Indonesia.

No standing military. I don't think there's anything about manufacture and sale.

Japan banned the export of military equipment for almost fifty years. They only started loosening the restrictions in 2014.

Yeah, Japan actually makes a lot of military hardware. I but unlike Germany for example, they dont sell much of anything abroad.

• Options
    RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    I can't say I blame Japan and Suga for negotiating defense ties with Vietnam and Indonesia to counter China's overtly aggressive posturing in the South China Sea. I mean, with Trump wrecking alliances and treaties (along with consolidating PA GD thread singularity) these past four nightmarish years, he's done more to undermine worldwide confidence in America coming to the aid of its allies than the Russians and Chinese could've dared hope to dream for the entirety of the Cold War.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

I mean, they basically have a standing military. They just dont call it that.
    cckerberos wrote: »

Japan banned the export of military equipment for almost fifty years. They only started loosening the restrictions in 2014.

Yeah, Japan actually makes a lot of military hardware. I but unlike Germany for example, they dont sell much of anything abroad.

yeahhhhhhhhhhh.. germany really likes selling their weaons.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    China stipulates three "core subjects" must be taught exclusively in Mandarin Chinese in Korean-speaking areas of the PRC starting from 2022 -

https://asiatimes.com/2020/11/xis-masterplan-for-a-homogeneous-one-china/

The Korean language is a deep source of pride, for its constructed(!) script, its utter simplicity (the boast is that you can learn the alphabet in one day), and its symbol for the resilience of the culture.

The Japanese tried to suppress it too.

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    China stipulates three "core subjects" must be taught exclusively in Mandarin Chinese in Korean-speaking areas of the PRC starting from 2022 -

The Korean language is a deep source of pride, for its constructed(!) script, its utter simplicity (the boast is that you can learn the alphabet in one day), and its symbol for the resilience of the culture.

Yeah, the love of Hangul is pretty ingrained in Korean culture, and the reverence for King Saejong, it’s creator, is pretty strong. I’m not sure if that is the same in the Ethnically Korean population in China, but I can imagine it is.

And you are right, @Eddy , you can learn the script in about a day. Took me that long when I lived there, though I am still spotty on my W combination vowels. It’s super intuitive though.

• Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    oldmanken wrote: »
    Eddy wrote: »

Yeah, the love of Hangul is pretty ingrained in Korean culture, and the reverence for King Saejong, it’s creator, is pretty strong. I’m not sure if that is the same in the Ethnically Korean population in China, but I can imagine it is.

A lot of the mythologization of hangul and King Sejong in Korean society happened after WW2, so I think it would depend on when that population settled in China. OTOH, most of the Korean-language media they consume would come from Korea, so it may not matter.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    China has been trying to conquer Korea one way or the other for a couple millennia, not surprised to hear they're still on their bullshit.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    I honestly did not know China had Korean speaking areas. Knew there were Koreans living in China, but not that.

Still, the CCP continues their efforts to Mandarinize (is that a thing? Like Russification or Polonization?) the minorities in China.

• Options
    Herman McSlugballHerman McSlugball Stupendous Chap High ShluppyRegistered User regular
    "Hanification" is the term in general use by most English media, if you're looking for a starting point for further reading - a reference to the ongoing erasure of ethnic and cultural idenities to be supplanted by a mythologized idealization of Han purity. It makes for a pretty deep dive, and I'm definitely not the one to describe it in proper detail.

• Options
    Aren't they also trying to remove other Chinese language groups as well though? Like Cantonese? Sorry, I'll admit I'm not very well versed with China's internal demographics besides the Uighur and Tibetan populations.

Also if you meant to provide a link you didnt.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Aren't they also trying to remove other Chinese language groups as well though? Like Cantonese? Sorry, I'll admit I'm not very well versed with China's internal demographics besides the Uighur and Tibetan populations.

Also if you meant to provide a link you didnt.

For the most part the Hanization and thus the use of Mandarin is what the state prefers. Doesn't mean it has successfully wiped out other dialects but they are taught in Mandarin.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    But they are trying to remove the smaller dialects, either directly or indirectly, through Hanization?

Edit: I assumed the endgame was to eliminate all ethnic and regional identities to homogenize China into a nation of all Han that speak Mandarin.

JusticeforPluto on
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    I assumed the endgame was to eliminate all ethnic and regional identities to homogenize China into a nation of all Han that speak Mandarin.

Essentially there has been an ongoing effort to this effect going on in China pretty much for the entirety of Chinese history (at least going back to the writing and legal unification reforms of the Qin dynasty). Attempts by the central government to Culturally assimilate and unify various non-Han people and attempts by those non-han to resist (and occasionally declare independence and/or conquer bits of China for themselves) is a recurring theme in Chinese history.

Edit: and its not like China is alone in this, the idea of a sufficiently organized government not trying to standardize the language its people use through eliminating dialects and other languages and trying to forcefully impose the dominant culture on subject peoples is pretty much a 20th century thing, the best you can find prior to that is certain privileged groups getting carve-outs.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    The funny thing is I'm pretty sure most of these attempts at homogenization are pretty much doomed to failure. I'd argue someone is a fool if they believe technology, now makes doing so possible. If anything technology probably makes it even harder because it gives the targeted groups more tools to resist and it's very nature means you get more environments where you countercultures, dialects and slang can spring forth.

Like if I were a government. The only thing in regards to language homogenization I would strive for would be that all government records are kept in an official language, which is different from a country language because people wouldn't be required to speak that language. The only reason you'd do that is for ease of administration, since if someone that doesn't speak the language needs to see those records, they know exactly what kind of translator to bring. Also means, when it comes to hiring people to go through those records, they know exactly what language is needed for the job. This also helps everyone because it cuts down on the possible points of having things lost in translation. For instance, if someone that speaks Korean needs to go through a legal manner, it's far better to know you just need a translator that can go between Korean and Mandarin Chinese. It's kind of a disaster if that Korean speaker shows up and finds out that there translator isn't going to cut it because the document they need to review is in Vietnamese.

Granted, I'm looking at this more from a way to minimize people getting fucked over. I'm not looking at this from the Supremacist angle, which is totally the direction the Chinese are coming from. Again, it's a doomed angle because you're going to get all those divergences that run counter to homogenization efforts popping up. it's inevitable and with so many people and over such a large geographic area, it's just going to happen whether the authorities like it or not.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Saying attempts at homogenization are doomed to fail is silly imo. The historical perspective is that such things are very doable as long as you are willing to commit some atrocities and the Chinese government has more then shown it's willingness to do that. If you are comfortable "re-educating" the Uyghurs out of existence, you can do it.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Nah, there is a certain point in size and population where it ceases to feasible.

• Options
    GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    Nah, there is a certain point in size and population where it ceases to feasible.

Uyghurs aren't anywhere near that size especially in China.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Also, modern technology has hastened homogenization, not slowed it. The introduction of national television and radio, along with the tendency of young people to move out of their hometown for education or work has led to significant reductions in the number of people who speak minority languages or regional dialects.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Saying attempts at homogenization are doomed to fail is silly imo. The historical perspective is that such things are very doable as long as you are willing to commit some atrocities and the Chinese government has more then shown it's willingness to do that. If you are comfortable "re-educating" the Uyghurs out of existence, you can do it.

It’s a bit weird looking at it historically, there are instances where cultures are subsumed pretty quickly in a matter of decades, and there are instances where you have cultures that stick around and maintain an independent sense of cultural identity for hundreds or even thousands of years of outside rule. Then you can have national identities that appear to be subsumed into a dominant culture for hundreds of years and then reappear if the dominant culture becomes weak or loses control for some reason.

There don’t seem to be a lot of hard and fast rules as to what happens.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Killing the Korean language by China will be hard because South Korea has become the culturally dominant soft power in Asia and increasingly abroad, to the extent that South Korean movies now top the U.S. box office and movies can win an Oscar.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular

By itself, maybe. But combined with forced relocations and all the other horrors China is doing? It's absolutely, horrificly possible.

See also: many of the totally lost first-nation tribes across North and South America across the last 300 years, or France's efforts to eliminate minority languages over the last 100. In many cases, they have succeeded and entire cultures are lost except in an academic sense. The languages are dead, and their speakers only do so in preservation.

• Options
    Killing the Korean language by China will be hard because South Korea has become the culturally dominant soft power in Asia and increasingly abroad, to the extent that South Korean movies now top the U.S. box office and movies can win an Oscar.

Oh this is a bit of a misunderstanding of what they are doing.

They aren't out to kill the Korean language overall. They are instead taking their Korean speaking minority and killing it in that group and working to make that group be subsumed into the Han culture. Comparing it to First Nations/Native Americans and the concerted effort to "civilize" them via taking children and banning their native tongue is a good one. It is all in China. A continuation of their policy to either stamp out or remove any non-Han group.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Mazzyx wrote: »

They aren't out to kill the Korean language overall. They are instead taking their Korean speaking minority and killing it in that group and working to make that group be subsumed into the Han culture. Comparing it to First Nations/Native Americans and the concerted effort to "civilize" them via taking children and banning their native tongue is a good one. It is all in China. A continuation of their policy to either stamp out or remove any non-Han group.

I know, but it is trying to do this in an internal subgroup that is most likely awash in Korean DVDs, songs, and books/manga. It's hard to eliminate an external cultural influence when your entire nation, much less just that subgroup, is tuned into that culture.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    Enc wrote: »

By itself, maybe. But combined with forced relocations and all the other horrors China is doing? It's absolutely, horrificly possible.

See also: many of the totally lost first-nation tribes across North and South America across the last 300 years, or France's efforts to eliminate minority languages over the last 100. In many cases, they have succeeded and entire cultures are lost except in an academic sense. The languages are dead, and their speakers only do so in preservation.

It's also important to understand that a lot of these cultures and languages that are coming back or at least hanging on right now are because governments stopped actively trying to destroy them. Or stopped trying so hard anyway. Or in some cases started doing the opposite. If various governments around the world wanted to continue to actively destroy a bunch of these cultures, they could.

Preserving a lot of these languages and cultures that are in trouble takes active work by the government.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    European nations were quite successful at destroying their diverse number of languages. I don't see why it would be a surprise with China doing it

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    I wonder if in 200 years time China will be desperately trying to preserve the remnants of all those unique indigenous cultures they are trying to crush right now.

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I wonder if in 200 years time China will be desperately trying to preserve the remnants of all those unique indigenous cultures they are trying to crush right now.
    France is not (really), but Canada is (kinda). So flip a coin, I guess.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

Probably turn them into tourist attractions

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    There is also a difference between trying to exterminate a cultural group that is an enclave of a large and prosperous nearby nation / culture with its own substantial media presence and exterminating a minority that is (for all intents and purposes) non-existent outside your borders and has no meaningful outside support.

Even if they 'officially' stamp out the Korean-speaking Chinese community, it's not like they are going to stamp out Korean culture and cultural influence in those regions of China. I mean short of extermination / driving out anyone who is non-Han Chinese. Which doesn't seem to be outside the realms of possibility.

And 200 years from now, I would expect that those unique cultures will either be fully destroyed and paved under, or the new nationalistic CCP-Han culture will insist any remnants are just part of their own cultural history and not whatever group that has been assimilated / exterminated. After all, that's what all the history books say and if you dispute that you probably need some (re)-education.

• Options
    It doesn't even have to be that overt. Look at how history and local cultures in the Eastern US treat first-nations they drove west. Tourist traps and a few national park signs marking where the Iroquois were, and congress ignoring the tribe's petition to be recognized as a formal tribe due to having been made "citizens" forcibly in the 1800s. It doesn't have to be re-education camps and forced marches. It can, and usually is, just the overwhelming grind of massive bureaucracy crushing all local intuitions with red tape and out-performing any local capability to keep cultural norms going. Some local politician or school board saying "No, you can't teach Haudenosaunee in schools, and no you can't have exemption waivers. Teach it in the home if you value it." Then, over decades of being supplanted by usual norms of majority populations moving into the area and the necessity of speaking English to work in that majority-population dominated society the second generation rarely uses it, and even less often passes it down to their kids. In three generations the language is mostly lost except for enthusiasts, and nobody need be marched to a reeducation camp.

Time and migration are insidious when used with purpose, and that's typically how governments do this sort of thing.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    The so-called "Indian schools" founded ostensibly out of charitable goodwill by religious groups who saw the plight of starving Native American children were just another avenue for cultural genocide, where students were given "good Christian" names and forbidden to speak anything but English and learn about the history and myths of their own people.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    The so-called "Indian schools" founded ostensibly out of charitable goodwill by religious groups who saw the plight of starving Native American children were just another avenue for cultural genocide, where students were given "good Christian" names and forbidden to speak anything but English and learn about the history and myths of their own people.

For sure, but not every part of the problem were as blatant. Plenty of local areas in the eastern US had schools closed that taught historical languages. And not just first-nation. French schools were commonly closed in Maine and elsewhere in New England to prevent French from being spoken by poor and migratory workers during the 1880s through 1920s.

• Options
    GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular

I know, but it is trying to do this in an internal subgroup that is most likely awash in Korean DVDs, songs, and books/manga. It's hard to eliminate an external cultural influence when your entire nation, much less just that subgroup, is tuned into that culture.

That is a really good point I mean, how well would native American culture and languages survived if there was a fairly large enclave of native Americans just blasting movies and TV and video games and manga and whatever 24/7?

Kind of betting that less of the culture would have died off.

• Options
    In the South, separate but equal also meant that some tribes also had their own segregated schools.

• Options
    In China continuing to be terrible and I guess wanting to be the US? New documents confirm the use of forced labor in Western China to pick cotton
    China is forcing hundreds of thousands of Uighurs and other minorities into hard, manual labour in the vast cotton fields of its western region of Xinjiang, according to new research seen by the BBC.

Based on newly discovered online documents, it provides the first clear picture of the potential scale of forced labour in the picking of a crop that accounts for a fifth of the world’s cotton supply and is used widely throughout the global fashion industry.

I guess they really want to go for all check marks of recent terrible actions to minority groups and are adding "slave labor picked cotton" to the list of things.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    In China continuing to be terrible and I guess wanting to be the US? New documents confirm the use of forced labor in Western China to pick cotton
    China is forcing hundreds of thousands of Uighurs and other minorities into hard, manual labour in the vast cotton fields of its western region of Xinjiang, according to new research seen by the BBC.

Based on newly discovered online documents, it provides the first clear picture of the potential scale of forced labour in the picking of a crop that accounts for a fifth of the world’s cotton supply and is used widely throughout the global fashion industry.

I guess they really want to go for all check marks of recent terrible actions to minority groups and are adding "slave labor picked cotton" to the list of things.

America uses slave labor to pick cotton, too. Because remember, slavery was only abolished except "as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted," a loophole that has been utilized ever since. Hell, we call them "prison plantations."

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Ah yes, whataboutism.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I don't think it's whataboutism but more a "hey you know that's also happening here...right now, right?"

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    First is the East Asia thread so discussing China's use of slave labor based on an actual cultural genocide going on right is on topic and worth talking about. American usage of prison labor is an issue but isn't a 1 to 1 equivalent in anyway. And probably is worth its own thread or an entire thread on prison reform.

Some things from the actual article outside of folks sniping:

-China produces about 1/5th of the world's cotton so this means if you buy a shirt you are rolling dice on the use of forced labor by Uighurs. Not new. We know they use similar systems for electronics which not a single large electronic company is clean of including apple.
    -This is tied to the "re-education" camps/prisons that China is setting up to destroy systematically the Uighur cultures and languages. The very term Uighur is a simplification under a Stalinist designation of cultural groups and doesn't represent the actual variety of cultures in the region.
    -This also ties straight into religious persecution in the region just focused on Islam so I feel it gets less attention in the US and the West.

Feel free to counter or try to make points but this isn't the thread for talking about the US prison system but instead a focus on East Asia and the actions occurring under the CCP which is a straight up authoritarian government that is very much working to eradicate minority groups whole sale and also runs things like the "social credit system" which can lead to people losing their entire lively hood over openly disagreeing with the party line.

I don't think anyone here is blind to the fact the US has screwed up shit, not for this thread.

Also I was being flippant but this wasn't even on my radar of things they were going to do with their heavily imprisoned Uighur population.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I don't think it's whataboutism but more a "hey you know that's also happening here...right now, right?"

I'm not sure in what way it could possibly be relevant to the East Asia thread outside that context.

This discussion has been closed.