As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's a [Doom/Quake]! id Software's Classic Legacy of Eternal Carnage

• TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Thanks for the feedback!

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    While I’m excited for dlc for eternal it’s pretty weird that we don’t really know much about it. It looks like there’s one new enemy, which is basically a reskin of an existing enemy, that like possesses other demons or something, and that’s it

While I wouldn’t personally want anything spoiled, I’m also worried that there won’t be much new here. I’m all for more levels but I was hoping for a few new guns and enemies too

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    While I’m excited for dlc for eternal it’s pretty weird that we don’t really know much about it. It looks like there’s one new enemy, which is basically a reskin of an existing enemy, that like possesses other demons or something, and that’s it

While I wouldn’t personally want anything spoiled, I’m also worried that there won’t be much new here. I’m all for more levels but I was hoping for a few new guns and enemies too

This is also 'Part 1', so yeah it may be that there isn't so much new stuff in this particular part, so they don't want to give away a ton in previews.

H9f4bVe.png
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I find it funny the first DLC campaign is out and the main game still isn't on Switch.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I find it funny the first DLC campaign is out and the main game still isn't on Switch.

Considering the absolute dearth of processing power in the Switch, I'll be surprised if it even releases tbqh

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    So it's out?

How's the music?

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I don’t know what is it but that trailer was giving me some Quake vibes.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

Looks like Doom moving steadily further into eldritch territory rather than old-school Hell.

Also made me think of the underwater city from James Cameron’s The Abyss. Also also, Doom Guy swims now? It might be dumb but that definitely feels like a Quake thing more than a Doom thing.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    imagine the demons seeing that.

"Oh jesus he can swim now?"

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    imagine the demons seeing that.

"Oh jesus he can swim now?"

Of coursw this means there should be water demons, who have been enjoying a relatively Doom Guy free existence for much too long.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

Looks like Doom moving steadily further into eldritch territory rather than old-school Hell.

The DLC description mentions other dimensions and an old ally. If that turns out to be Ranger I’ll lose my shit.

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Jesus christ this DLC is ridiculous

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah this DLC is nice, it continues right at the top end of difficulty when it comes to that combat loop, and I am very rusty.

Gonna get that flow of utility clicks to memory again.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I'll probably have to knock it down to UV for this DLC, from everything I've seen.

The DLC description mentions other dimensions and an old ally. If that turns out to be Ranger I’ll lose my shit.

Apart from Ranger, who else would it be?

Mood Guy?

edited October 2020
    Do not play this dlc on anything higher than hurt me plenty first go around unless you’re insanely good, it is pretty much every battle harder than anything in the campaign

I’m about halfway through and no new guns or new enemies outside of
    turrets, spirits, and armoured mancubus which aren’t technically new

Which is kind of a bummer

Prohass on
  • DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    So, AGP1 ending spoilers:
    I hope that this entire DLC campaign is an extended reference to Doom: Repercussions of Evil.

edited October 2020
    Oh man fuck spirit enhanced barons of hell. I’m pretty sure they can take 250 rounds of the mini gun and shrug it off

Good luck with these assholes on the higher difficulties

The second level just feels like a challenge mode remix, it’s a bummer that so far they haven’t really introduced anything super new, but the encounter design and like buffs and debuffs are turned up to 11

It’s kind of funny how much they didn’t listen to Player feedback or decided fuck it this is what we wanna make with the dlc. If you didn’t like doom eternal this dlc is definitely not going to change your mind

People complained that marauders were unbalanced or changed the flow of the game too much (something I disagree with but it was a big complaint), so here they put like 2 at once, or fight one while surrounded by environmental hazards

Didn’t like the platforming? ID definitely does cos it’s back

For me I love this kind of doubling down it shows confidence in their game, But there’s also not a whole lot new here, it’s very much just more of the same, with the encounters turned up and the only new stuff being like elements that modify the combat

Prohass on
    edited October 2020
    Also for the supposed experts of the genre ID still fuck up in some classic ways. Like having a checkpoint be before a jumping puzzle. So if you lose the combat encounter afterwards, you have to do the jumping puzzle again

It’s like that’s amateur stuff

Also I can’t beat the second boss even on the normal difficulty

Prohass on
    If you’re even kind of doubtful of your skills, anything above hurt me plenty will tear you apart. The encounters are ridiculously long, in some cases way too long, and the only real new things added to the game by the dlc is various buffs for enemies

Good luck with barons of hell possessed by a spirit on ultra violence, let alone nightmare

Sounds fun.

I mean I’m still enjoying it, but it’s very much just more doom eternal

edited October 2020
    I hope they tone down the difficulty for the next expansion

Like I get what they’re going for here, it’s like an ultimate challenge for people who have played through the campaign, but it makes it a bit of a slog in terms of pacing

Also ffs enough with the buff totems, now there’s sometimes two per fight, and one will often appear just as you’ve exhausted every consumable in the arena

Prohass on

Apart from Ranger, who else would it be?

Mood Guy?

Crash?

edited October 2020
    My overall advice would be to play in short bursts, my muscles and teeth hurt from clenching so hard

Also for those speculating on characters
    neither crash nor ranger has shown up and I’m almost at the end. I think it’s either referring to Vega or Samuel hayden

Prohass on
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I think I asked before but I can't find it; was there any explanation anywhere for how Doomguy got from the end of Doom 2016 (sent somewhere out of the way by Hayden) to the start of Eternal (in his own personal Fortress of Doomitude)?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I think I asked before but I can't find it; was there any explanation anywhere for how Doomguy got from the end of Doom 2016 (sent somewhere out of the way by Hayden) to the start of Eternal (in his own personal Fortress of Doomitude)?

There is not, but some codex entries gives years for the events of the first game and some other stuff and it's 10+ years between the two games.

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I just wanted to thank whoever it was that introduced me to Civvie in this thread. Love the channel.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    So far my verdict on Ancient Gods is very much "Yup, sure is more doom eternal!" which is not a complaint, it's basically exactly what i wanted

Though switching between this and destiny 2 is throwing me off something fierce. They're actually surprisingly similar games, and all the shooting people in pvp i've been doing has really tightened my skills up in Doom Eternal...

Except for one damn thing: Jumping.

D2 has much more oompfy jumps and i'm use to the not-quite-flight warlocks can pull off. So i keep leaping off edges and gracefully faceplanting doomguy into the abyss.

Also marauders are still boring and unfun to fight.

Support runes are cool though! Though i think the weakpoint stagger one seems like the clear winner? Probably

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Holy forking shirtballs, the DLC does not fuck around. Absolutely had to sharpen back up a bit to handle this DLC.

Id. STOP TRYING TO MAKE MARAUDERS A FUCKING THING. They were lousy in the base game and nobody wanted to deal with double Marauder bullshit in one fight, so I have no fucking clue why that is in here. The only thing more annoying than trying to force one Marauder into the right range to let you attack is having to do it with two at once with one of them virtually always blocking or whipping out the shotgun.

A little weird and oddly bold of them to forgo new monsters and weapons in story DLC.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Going from Nightmare back down to UV is ridiculous. Like, it's still hard, but it's like "Okay, I need to put my gameface on and quit fucking around" hard, not "This game is punishment for the sins I committed in life" hard.

• VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Beat the DLC on UV just to get it done, loved it. I don't mind marauders so their prevalence didn't bother me. I will say the (encounter spoiler, not boss related)
    buff totem marauder

was hilarious

Now to bang my head against the wall on Ultra Nightmare because I need that sweet skin

Vladimer on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Marauders aren't enemies that block my progress in any significant way, they just exist in direct opposition to everything else about the combat design and are decidedly un-fun for it. There's no counter weapon (unlike very nearly every single other enemy), they have a very specific engagement range, you have to stop to fight them, and they basically ignore superweapons (except for a sliver of a window with the BFG) and the chainsaw.

They just stink as DOOM enemies and shouldn't be in the game. Give me another onslaught of a variety of enemies instead of a Marauder at any point; at the very best, they're a short, boring fight.

• VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    I was more just generalizing. A lot of people complain about marauders. I seem to be one of the few people that are immune to them stilting my fun - I actually liked dealing with them in a bunch of horde situations more instead of treating them like sub boss fights. Doom Eternal just hits for me.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Everything in Doom Eternal hits for me except the Marauders. What a shit enemy.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Marauders are better as spoilers for large fights rather than as good fights themselves. When they're something to avoid as you dash around the arena, they heighten the tension, making the moment when it's down to you and them and you hand it it's ass really satisfying.

When you fighting them by themselves, it's just a rote dance. Even fighting two of them at once wasn't a big deal, it just means I died a few times instead of once instead of not at all. It was funny at first for the ridiculousness of it, but it's not really something I look back on and go "that was rad!"