As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Streaming Services] Cable Television for the Internet Age

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Nosf wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »
    I actually wound up sort of enjoying Bly by the end of it, but I can agree with the criticism.
    If you're going to devote a whole episode to explaining that the source of the ghosts is Local Woman Literally Too Angry To Die - which in itself was probably unnecessary - it also feels real weird to then have a couple more ghosts that are just sort of... there? You might be able to smash it into a plausible set of themes but it doesn't really feel coherent with the narrative as presented.

They're just saving everyone the hassle of going to youtube for the inevitable 3 million videos, "BLY ENDING EXPLAINED!".

God I hate those videos, especially for shit that absolutely did not in anyway need an explanation. Like I've seen that for the fucking Boys. THE BOYS! There is nothing complicated in the boys narrative!

I simultaneously hate that these videos exist and hate that for some people they are necessary.

At the risk of being Old Man Yells At Cloud, I think they exist for the benefit of people who are too busy watching 40 minute youtube videos on their phone while "watching" a TV show/movie and so have no idea what just happened. So now they can watch a youtube video of clips of the thing they nominally just watched while they nominally watch something else.

I feel attacked

A hit dog will holla as they say.

Here Tobes let me get you a youtube to explain that turn of phrase.

Please provide in 5 minute chunks in a playlist to watch on smoke breaks

Turnofphrasesins coming right up!

Preacher I can't even

You didn't even tell him to ring that bell let alone smash that subscribe button.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2020
    Aphostile wrote: »
    Wasn’t surprised by Away from the reactions online “too much family drama AND their space stuff is not sciencey or spacey enough!”

I am still making my way through The Expanse so I never gave it a fair shot either.

yeah that was my takeaway. It's a shame because when they did manage to get properly space-y, it was fucking beautiful, and all the interior scenes on the shuttle were insanely technically impressive (in the sense that you didn't even notice them being technically impressive, you just accepted 'oh obviously these people are in space').
    But the science was occasionally very goofy, and the drama was often tedious (at least the stuff to do with Swank's character's family. I thought the backstory on the other characters was largely handled fairly deftly, and gave them adequate depth without distracting from the space plot. Meanwhile anything to do with the main character was exactly the opposite, also why is there all this Dawson's Creek-style teen soap lathering up my hard SF??).

It was beautifully filmed though, which is why I kept watching.

tynic on
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Just found Digimon on Hulu and holy shit the entire premise is that climate change renders most of the world uninhabitable.

Can't wait for Angemon. He gets it.

EDIT: What I meant to say is that Angemon CAN get it. Cause I'm horny. Horny for Angemon.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Really wish Prime would stop with the weekly thing. Don't need streaming to turn into cable any faster. Not like they care about discussion etc. Guess more people must watch it that way or they're still seeing if it that's the case.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Can I be excited about this here?

Aunty Donna is hilarious and it is very cool that they're getting this show. If you haven't seen them, check out their youtube channel for classics like "Don't Get in the Kiln" and "Bikie Wars"

This thing looks awesome. It's got Weird Al in it! And other folks you will recognize!

• AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Really wish Prime would stop with the weekly thing. Don't need streaming to turn into cable any faster. Not like they care about discussion etc. Guess more people must watch it that way or they're still seeing if it that's the case.

Makes em more money. Have to subscribe for more than 1 month to get all the episodes.

Nothing. Matters.
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Ugh I hate hulu's interface. You make this much money and your ui is still shit.

I'm trying to figure out how to add channels to the my channels thing for live tv. I picked like 4 when I set it up and want to add some.

I've looked and looked and can't seem to find a way. Even google didn't help as the way suggested didn't work.

I'm on xbox one

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Can I be excited about this here?

Aunty Donna is hilarious and it is very cool that they're getting this show. If you haven't seen them, check out their youtube channel for classics like "Don't Get in the Kiln" and "Bikie Wars"

This thing looks awesome. It's got Weird Al in it! And other folks you will recognize!

Yup they're the guys who did this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyvyhkF8Xr4
    And thus they're geniuses

*edit*
    it's the very end of this that elevates it to genius level for me because oh my god is that reaction so true.

HappylilElf on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I just found out that Bly Manor is actually based on like 5 completely unrelated books and short stories crammed together and everything makes so much sense now.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    I would have liked another season of Away´s running gag of "character who is being talked about has actually been in the room for most of the conversation whithout being noticed by anybody".

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    scherbchen wrote: »
    I would have liked another season of Away´s running gag of "character who is being talked about has actually been in the room for most of the conversation whithout being noticed by anybody".

In space, no one can hear you sneak

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    I actually wound up sort of enjoying Bly by the end of it, but I can agree with the criticism.
    If you're going to devote a whole episode to explaining that the source of the ghosts is Local Woman Literally Too Angry To Die - which in itself was probably unnecessary - it also feels real weird to then have a couple more ghosts that are just sort of... there? You might be able to smash it into a plausible set of themes but it doesn't really feel coherent with the narrative as presented.

They're just saving everyone the hassle of going to youtube for the inevitable 3 million videos, "BLY ENDING EXPLAINED!".

God I hate those videos, especially for shit that absolutely did not in anyway need an explanation. Like I've seen that for the fucking Boys. THE BOYS! There is nothing complicated in the boys narrative!

I simultaneously hate that these videos exist and hate that for some people they are necessary.

At the risk of being Old Man Yells At Cloud, I think they exist for the benefit of people who are too busy watching 40 minute youtube videos on their phone while "watching" a TV show/movie and so have no idea what just happened. So now they can watch a youtube video of clips of the thing they nominally just watched while they nominally watch something else.

I feel attacked

what were you watching when you posted this

5gsowHm.png
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

I feel attacked

what were you watching when you posted this

"Top Ten ways you won't believe you can feel attacked on the forums, part 6"

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Terminator: Fart Fate is up on Prime now.

So is Elvira Mistress of the Dark, watch that instead UwU.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    ...UwU.

Had me in the first half.

steam_sig.png
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Terminator: Fart Fate is up on Prime now.

So is Elvira Mistress of the Dark, watch that instead UwU.

Opai
    Ѡ

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Ha, I saw that flick in the theatres and it was pretty entertaining. She had two great point and click adventure games too.

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Helstrom was a real snoozer.

Take any passably made Canadian genre show, fill in a mad lib using a blender full of The Exorcist, Evil, The Omen (or any other vaguely demon vs. cabal show), and add in a full roster of peevishly unlikeable characters, interchangeable villains (even more literal with possessions), and one or two "serious" actors for gravitas, and you've got the secret recipe. For seasoning to taste: film it so darkly as to obviate any production value you put into costumes, effects, or setting. For dessert: the plot. Jesus...the plot.

Hey now, Canadian sitcoms have been killing it in the last few years!

I have no other arguments to your statement tho

edited October 2020

Ha, very true, and I should have been more clear: I LOVE me some Canadian genre TV (Lost Girl? Continuum? Travelers? Yes, please!). It was just an easy way to describe production budget. =)

And speaking of Canuck comedy: more Baroness Von Sketch soon, please.

Straygatsby on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

I can never get a good list of Canadian shows because people tell me they are canadian and I wouldn't know them.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net

I can never get a good list of Canadian shows because people tell me they are canadian and I wouldn't know them.

In currentish sitcoms check out, Schitts Creek, Kim's Convenience, and Corner Gas(not the new animated tho, it's kinda butts)

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

personally I'm a fan of the classics:
    Corner Gas - a show set in the flattest most boring part of Canada
    https://youtu.be/szFKZz64bMQ

Red Green Show - Canada's Top Gear
    https://youtu.be/Q8sG65eHmTo

Kids in the Hall - Was this clip made yesterday?
    https://youtu.be/83tnWFojtcY

In currentish sitcoms check out, Schitts Creek, Kim's Convenience, and Corner Gas(not the new animated tho, it's kinda butts)

It was a joke Tobes...

Here let me get you a list of top 10 older millenial movie reference jokes from youtube.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net

It was a joke Tobes...

Here let me get you a list of top 10 older millenial movie reference jokes from youtube.

Sorry, I'm from Canada , we are used to jokes being noticeable by containing comedy within them :biggrin:

edited October 2020

It was a joke Tobes...

Sorry, I'm from Canada , we are used to jokes being noticeable by containing comedy within them :biggrin:

Well played, CANADIAN!

Guess you guys need something other Stanley Cups to keep you warm at night.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Speaking of Schitt's Creek, oh man , be careful of that special about the last season, when you hit play a truck full of onions just backs into your house outta no where.

• evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    TIL: Quibi's stupid 10-minute show setup is in place to exploit union rules. Instead of commercial breaks, they put credits, and suddenly it's outside the scope of union agreements:
    https://www.inputmag.com/culture/exclusive-by-exploiting-a-union-loophole-quibi-is-underpaying-its-shows-crews
    “Original, live action dramatic new media productions which are less than 20 minutes in length and made for initial exhibition on a subscription video-on-demand consumer pay platform are not subject to” the tiered breakdowns that help set wage scales “regardless of their budgets.”

• AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Quibi is officially not a company anymore so...

Nothing. Matters.
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Today I learned the classic universal monster movies are o peacock, a free streaming service. gonna watch them all never seen them.

• Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

What's the context here? My mom literally sent me a text yesterday urging me to watch this, but I know nothing about it.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

What's the context here? My mom literally sent me a text yesterday urging me to watch this, but I know nothing about it.

The plot of Rebecca (partly) involves a woman feeling that she is inferior to her husband's first wife

• Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular

The plot of Rebecca (partly) involves a woman feeling that she is inferior to her husband's first wife

aaaah, got it! Sorry for making you have to explain the joke! :P

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
    Again speaking of Canadians: Letterkenny really holds up on a second viewing (moreso the first 5 seasons - they get a little flat after that but still fun).

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Still going through Lucifer as my go to show when I have time. I started Helstrom and then stopped. I'll finish it at some point but currently I don't have a need for it.

The writing on Lucifer is just so sharp and the jokes make me laugh.

"Maybe it's like butt stuff. Easier the second time around." -Lucifer

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    Still going through Lucifer as my go to show when I have time. I started Helstrom and then stopped. I'll finish it at some point but currently I don't have a need for it.

The writing on Lucifer is just so sharp and the jokes make me laugh.

"Maybe it's like butt stuff. Easier the second time around." -Lucifer

I still absolutely love - "I wrote you a song ! 'Crime-solving devil, it makes sense ! Don't over-think it!'".

https://youtu.be/hXIRt0uG3D0

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    has anyone watched netflix "barbarians" and can give me a few spoiler free words about whether it's watchable?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    I'm watching Aeon Flux (CBS All Access). Still not sure if it's good or just weird, but it's definitely weird. (Also, really horny for a show that can't actually show anything.)

This discussion has been closed.