As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Warhammer - Age of Sigmar] The New Fantasy

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Apropos of nothing:

nh0ureja31gj.png

Am I the only one getting a strong butt plug resemblance? Because that really looks like a butt plug.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    A warband of fast-moving, teleporting glass cannons does sound pretty good at "playing the game" of Warcry

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    It's good that it has a flared base so it doesn't go all the way in.

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    That.... That isn't real....?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    That.... That isn't real....?
    Listen, if Hello Kitty can make vibrators…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    For the more girthy-handed wargamer.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    fetchimage?siteId=7575&v=2&jpgQuality=100&width=700&url=https%3A%2F%2Fi.kym-cdn.com%2Fentries%2Ficons%2Ffacebook%2F000%2F033%2F376%2Ftiger.jpg

this month's gw release schedule is killing me

warcry, the new necromunda (i'm buying all warbands)

also, i am building a tyranid army

anybody need a kidney?

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Am I the only one getting a strong butt plug resemblance? Because that really looks like a butt plug.

Going by my twitter feed all afternoon, no, I would say you are not the only one to draw that particular parallel.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    fetchimage?siteId=7575&v=2&jpgQuality=100&width=700&url=https%3A%2F%2Fi.kym-cdn.com%2Fentries%2Ficons%2Ffacebook%2F000%2F033%2F376%2Ftiger.jpg

anybody need a kidney?

Steak and kidney pie would go down nice.

What sort of wine does Hannibal Lecter recommend?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular

anybody need a kidney?

Steak and kidney pie would go down nice.

What sort of wine does Hannibal Lecter recommend?

I'd recommend a Viré-Clessé.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    The flat sides on the handle are one of its best features, letting you hold it flush against a surface

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Maybe I'll pass on the Catacombs box. Pricing is confirmed at $210.

I was starting to hesitate when I saw there was another copy of the core book + a half set of duplicate terrain. That pricing is a hard pass.

Seems solely aimed at people who missed the first starter set.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Makes me dread the Blood Bowl Box price reveal.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Maybe I'll pass on the Catacombs box. Pricing is confirmed at $210.

Well I will think about it when it comes up for pre order this weekend instead of rushing to get it
    Is it really half of the terrain that came in the original box? I still see people doing lumped in deals for it on ebay with the Cypher lords [are they really that bad or just not liked?}

I might get the extra boards and the gang hideout for necromunda
    Still I am curious if there will be xmas deals and the shadow n sin box and then the broken realms

edited October 2020
    I’m not sure if it is necessarily less terrain. It’s more like half is for above ground and the other half for below ground. It is certainly not more terrain so that price point is a bit of a bummer.

Axen on
    a34767c6p2ci.png
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/10/21/warcry-shadowstalkers-and-scions-in-warhammer-age-of-sigmar/
    They are interesting units in AoS so still the 210 price is a will think about it

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    I’m not sure if it is necessarily less terrain. It’s more like half is for above ground and the other half for below ground. It is certainly not more terrain so that price point is a bit of a bummer.

Yeah, it’s more like half the cost of the box is for the original terrain, rulebook, and tokens etc

So if you have those already, the value of the box goes way down unless you just can’t wait for these particular warbands or you actually want lots of duplicate stuff

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    Like just the catacombs board and rule book might be sold separately which will probably cost ~$100 and each of the two warbands will eventually be sold separately for $50 each

So $210 to get all that plus the starter map and core book and tokens isn’t a bad deal.

steam_sig.png
    The original starter set cost about $170 USD. Catacombs doesn’t quite seem to offer more than the original (I wouldn’t say it offers less either), at least IMHO, certainly not enough to warrant a $40 increase.

Especially compared to other things GW has been putting out.

The Command Edition starter set for 40k has more minis, probably as much fancy terrain, a double sided map, fancy core book and other assorted goodies and that clocks in at $165 USD.

Indomitus was practically bursting at the seams and was still only priced at $200. Hell, you can still buy it from third party sellers for around $250. Which even at that price it still strikes me as fair.

GW’s pricing can feel real random at times.

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    They do sometimes put comparatively lower prices on core/starter sets for the initial push of a product line and then crank them up for subsequent add-ons, I guess despite this being a sold as a core set they're aiming more at an audience already invested in Warcry? Seems strange for a product presumably intended as a lower barrier to entry than full AoS, and I certainly won't suggest that the higher pricing doesn't sting.

I'll have to weigh up whether it's better for me to just wait till the DoK warband is released separately, I think I'll probably make decent use of everything in the box (well, once we're somewhat less plague-ridden at least) but the price does push it from a sure purchase for me, we'll see.

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    splitting between 2d and 3d terrain kinda feels like the worst of both worlds in terms of what you're buying.
    I'd prefer they just commited to it being a 2d dungeon game to keep costs down and sold the 3d terrain sets separately

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    Mm, can't say I'm particularly enthused about a sprue of just doors, I already own a copy of Hero Quest, I've doors aplenty! But I should be able to at least use them as bridge supports and stuff for the more 3D side of things, and I love having lots of little scatter elements to throw around a board and add visual interest.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    They already half ass war cry too much to ask for that price point

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    There's no reason to expect that they won't release the warbands in the starter box seperately, right? I really want the Shadowstalkers but that price point is a yikes.

edited October 2020
    Oh geez I was just reminded that the original starter also came with Chaotic Beasts. Catacombs does not.

Axen on
    Burnage wrote: »
    There's no reason to expect that they won't release the warbands in the starter box seperately, right? I really want the Shadowstalkers but that price point is a yikes.

They did it for the first set

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    That price seems an odd choice. The 2nd Kill Team starter cost the same as the first (and I think Shadow War) though it does appear to have less terrain than either.

On the bright side it makes my decision as to whether or not to get into Warcry super easy to make!

That price seems an odd choice. The 2nd Kill Team starter cost the same as the first (and I think Shadow War) though it does appear to have less terrain than either.

On the bright side it makes my decision as to whether or not to get into Warcry super easy to make!

Are you only looking at the Catacombs terrain? Because the combined Catacombs terrain and Azurite ruins terrain is more than I received in my Kill Team Starter box.

If you are just starting out this box is a great deal, 2 maps each with their own terrain, a core rule book, the new expansion rule book, tokens, and 2 warbands.

It’s only a bad deal if you already have 1 of the maps and terrain and the core book and tokens

steam_sig.png
    edited October 2020
    I was comparing current Kill Team starter to the previous ones, not Kill Team to Warcry. Sorry if that was worded poorly.

It's weird to me that there is a huge price jump between starters for Warcry when there hasn't been for the product line that is most similar.

It doesn't jive with historical precedent, was what I was getting at.

Dr_Keenbean on
    If you compare it to another boxed game with its accompanying line, blood bowl, the price increase is well in line. No info on the cost of the new box yet but the team boxes increased in price twice within the last year and a half, I think, going up a third! Pitches got a lot more expensive, too.

I was comparing current Kill Team starter to the previous ones, not Kill Team to Warcry. Sorry if that was worded poorly.

It's weird to me that there is a huge price jump between starters for Warcry when there hasn't been for the product line that is most similar.

Ahh now I see what you meant

The first Warcry box was priced extremely aggressively though, so expecting all of their box sets to be at that steep a discount isn’t really feasible.

steam_sig.png
    That makes sense. I'm sure they're also looking for a nice cash injection for the end of the year in the aftermath of their shutdown.

It just prices me out, which is perfectly fine. It saves me from grudgingly having to give away yet another game I don't have the time or desire to play/paint after grumbling about it for a year or two every time I open my office closet.

edited October 2020

The first Warcry box was priced extremely aggressively though, so expecting all of their box sets to be at that steep a discount isn’t really feasible.

Was it though? The Warcry starter was priced the same as all the other box sets they do (in or around $160 USD). Dark Imperium, Soul Wars, Command Edition, Necromunda (the not Dark Uprising one), Blood Bowl, Kill Team, Adeptus Titanicus, Blackstone Fortress. All in the ballpark of $160 USD.

The whole point of these things is to get people in to the hobby so you can sell them a whole bunch of overpriced plastic and paints later.

edit- Also, keep in mind, GW is having an INCREDIBLY successful year. Their stock value has literally more than tripled in just the last year.

edit 2- Also Catacombs does not come with new twists or victory cards and no deployment or terrain cards either.

Axen on
    They don’t need cards, they can just print a list in the back like they do for artifacts and you roll dice to see what scenarios and twists you get.

For price, buying all the components of the original starter box separately would run close to double the cost of the box. So yes it was priced very aggressively to try to get playerbase buyin.

steam_sig.png
    edited October 2020
    Massive discounts is kind of their modus operandi for starters so yeah, this is an outlier.

Or it could be that they see it like Dark Uprising.

Or it could mean they're all going to be $200+ moving forward.

Who knows?

Dr_Keenbean on
    edited October 2020
    It just isn’t the value of Dark Uprising or the Original Warcry box.

Both of those gave a full table of terrain (for their comparative games) or more, two factions, rulebooks, accessories (tokens, cards, dice, etc), and in the case of Warcry, chaotic beasts which, from a pricing standpoint, was effectively a third warband.

Going by the individual components, the original box was like $300 worth of value for $170.

The new box has slightly less value value if you price out the components individually, but there is also a hidden cost: You can’t play some of the missions without investing the additional $45 for the Chaotic beasts or twist cards, which means you have something closer to $260 worth of components for $275. Not to mention that the terrain is less value than last time - not nearly as much above ground and all of the below ground aren’t compatible.

I’ll grab the individual warbands when they come out and maybe the annual instead.

Vanguard on
    Axen wrote: »

Was it though? The Warcry starter was priced the same as all the other box sets they do (in or around $160 USD). Dark Imperium, Soul Wars, Command Edition, Necromunda (the not Dark Uprising one), Blood Bowl, Kill Team, Adeptus Titanicus, Blackstone Fortress. All in the ballpark of $160 USD.

The whole point of these things is to get people in to the hobby so you can sell them a whole bunch of overpriced plastic and paints later.

edit- Also, keep in mind, GW is having an INCREDIBLY successful year. Their stock value has literally more than tripled in just the last year.

edit 2- Also Catacombs does not come with new twists or victory cards and no deployment or terrain cards either.

Bloodbowl is 115$. Not really the same ballpark. But Bloodbowl and the team boxes were probably too good a deal which GW as eliminated by now. I've seen quite a few orc and ork conversions based on the BB orc team which in the past used to be priced like 50-60% cheaper than comparable boxes in aos and 40k.

Well I do like this first look at the Catacombs rules.

The idea of interacting with the edge of the board as a wall is pretty cool, and pushing someone into lava is always good.

I had a thought with the Xmas deals in todays odd article about building a metarmy for Aos
    I feel the Realm Lords will be a deal as they still want to build up hype for them and with broken realms coming out either this holiday season or after
    Beastmen I feel is another as they need the love
    Ossiarch Bonereapers is one I would like to see if they do it what will it be as I know people say the current army they have up just remove the catapults and replace them with the harvester/s
    If they did a 4th I have no idea

GW is having a incredible year because of the pandemic I am curious about other companies in this as well
    I know the pricing leak is from spiky bits so I just half believe it. I still would like to get it. Do you need the beasts book to play with the Fomoroid/Ogroid and the Sphiranx things?

This discussion has been closed.