As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] Pandemic in a Pandemic

• AmarylAmaryl Registered User regular
    I played my first game of Brass Birmingham, I really enjoyed the dynamic of putting out resources on the board and trying to maneuver a way to use them myself. and similarly steal the resources the other players brought onto the board. Also putting stuff on the board as a honey pot for other players to get myself points.

I generally like when you can manipulate turn-order in a meaningful fashion. and use that secure important spaces on the board.

I really enjoyed this game and can't wait to play it again, and get a better feel of the game flow, and figure out the weird industry tracks and how to optimize their use.

• antheremantherem Registered User regular
    TimFiji wrote: »
    Anyone have an opinion on Space Alert? I adore anything by Vlaada Chvátil but missing this and Through the Ages. My group really likes coops, but was curious anyone's thoughts on the game.

The real-time phase is basically chaos, and is all about communication. You'll have set up a perfectly good program and then not realized somebody else would be blocking you, or you'll have to wait for the elevator and your program will be off by a turn, or there will be some other threat that needs more immediate attention but you used up all the cards that could deal with it already, and then in the resolution (or as we call it recriminations) phase everything goes to hell and maybe the ship survives.
    It's also an app based game before those were cool, the game state for the realtime phase is conveyed via an audio track which used to be on a CD but there's an app for it now. So it doesn't work at all with players who aren't able to respond to auditory signals for whatever reason.

I dig it but it's really stressful and it's hard to find enough players/a place where you can play a game with a soundtrack and shouting.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    TimFiji wrote: »
    Anyone have an opinion on Space Alert? I adore anything by Vlaada Chvátil but missing this and Through the Ages. My group really likes coops, but was curious anyone's thoughts on the game.

It's very very good and fun but also crazy stressful.

I am massive pumped for the Darkest Dungeon boardgame but god damn it if Mythic fucks this up as hard as every other damn thing they've made I will personally fly to France and shit on every one of their driver's seats.

brb buying fiber

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Maybe don't back more massive Kickstarters from companies who continually fuck up massive Kickstarters? Just a thought.

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Space Alert is shouty like resistance and social like Jackbox or Overcooked.

It's a bit less of a board gamer's board game then something like Dungeon Lords and way less than Mage Knight.

sig.gif
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I am massive pumped for the Darkest Dungeon boardgame but god damn it if Mythic fucks this up as hard as every other damn thing they've made I will personally fly to France and shit on every one of their driver's seats.

brb buying fiber

I'm actually unfamiliar with their previous work, and I feel like there's a good Magic Pink story there... so story time?

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

brb buying fiber

What if they don't have cars? A lot of people in France don't have cars.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

brb buying fiber

I looked at it and it didn't seem to capture much from the game. Also, the minis were really blobby

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

brb buying fiber

I looked at it and it didn't seem to capture much from the game. Also, the minis were really blobby

A devastating blow.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Have any video games made the transition to boardgames well? Liking both I can't think of any.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Have any video games made the transition to boardgames well? Liking both I can't think of any.

Doom?

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Doom?

Gears of War?

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I haven't even heard of either of those being board games. I'll take a look.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

edited October 2020
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Maybe don't back more massive Kickstarters from companies who continually fuck up massive Kickstarters? Just a thought.

Hush you, I'll have no sensibility in this thread! Besides the projects were all up at the same time basically. Once they started showing up everyone realized "hey do you folks even have proofreaders?"

Magic Pink on
    edited October 2020

Doom?

Dark Souls is a fucking blast. Agents of Mayhem is great as well. I watched the DD playthrough and it looks real good.

edit: fuck i forgot This War Of Mine!!

Magic Pink on
    admanb wrote: »

brb buying fiber

What if they don't have cars? A lot of people in France don't have cars.

RIGHT ON THE FACE

PMAvers wrote: »

brb buying fiber

I'm actually unfamiliar with their previous work, and I feel like there's a good Magic Pink story there... so story time?

Time of Legend: Joan of Arc: Completely unplayable due to huge errors in the map book (provided you don't want to download and print out a bunch of stuff). Lots of mistranslations and card errors. Still waiting on the 1.5 "fix" pack.

Reich Busters: 219 cards have misprints and the US versions were missing an entire sheet of tokens. Playable but only barely. They do promise a huge fixed, free update pack with extra game elements.

Soloman Kane: Scrapped the whole game and fired most people working on it to bring in a completely new team to make essentially a completely new game. Two years late so far.

And those are just the ones I've backed!

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular

Doom?

Dark Souls is a fucking blast. Agents of Mayhem is great as well. I watched the DD playthrough and it looks real good.

i just posted my first impressions of the Horizon zero dawn game. it's good gameplay. the main limitation is that because of covid they shipped out the base game on it's own without all the KS extras so there's only one bossfight until july when i'm going to be buried in miniature machines

Doom?

i just posted my first impressions of the Horizon zero dawn game. it's good gameplay. the main limitation is that because of covid they shipped out the base game on it's own without all the KS extras so there's only one bossfight until july when i'm going to be buried in miniature machines

Seriously, they blamed it on covid? 9 out of 10 mini heavy games i've backed send out the core game first followed by all the extras about a year later INCLUDING Steamforged's other games.

what a bunch of dorks.

• FryFry Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Cantido wrote: »

brb buying fiber

A devastating blow.

Overconfidence (in this Kickstarter) is a slow and insidious killer.

How many complete overhauls did it take them to get the video game "right" after it was in the hands of the public? I am having trouble believing a board game version of Darkest Dungeon will turn out.

Fry on
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

Doom?

Seriously, they blamed it on covid? 9 out of 10 mini heavy games i've backed send out the core game first followed by all the extras about a year later INCLUDING Steamforged's other games.

what a bunch of dorks.

honestly idk. I had to go back through updates to see what they planned on doing. Looks like their published intent was to do it all in one shipping wave. then in May when all the production started back up they put out an update that if they were going to stick to that then nothing would ship until July 2021 so they pivoted to the base game wave 1, extras wave 2 strategy?

Maybe they wanted this project to avoid the dark souls expansion problem before everything went to hell?

initiatefailure on
    Fry wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »

brb buying fiber

A devastating blow.

Overconfidence (in this Kickstarter) is a slow and insidious killer.

How many complete overhauls did it take them to get the video game "right" after it was in the hands of the public? I am having trouble believing a board game version of Darkest Dungeon will turn out.

there's a few playthrough and rules videos for it already. provided they don't change every dang thing they've shown it looks pretty good as is.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Huh, its hard to find, but the waifu-riddled, surprisingly good deckbuilder Heart of Crown is on sale on Steam for a far less bullshit price of $12.49

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Heart of Crown is a great little Dominion-like. Also I'm a bit late to the party, but Doom has two similar board games by FFG, one based off Doom 3 and one of DOOM 2016. I've played the latter and it fucking rocks. Gosh I'm a fan of that one. There's definitely a small hollow space where it feels like an expansion is supposed to be, one that isn't coming, but the base game is designed so that each of the scenarios allow for a lot of remixing and replayability, which keeps it really fresh.

Edit: Oh it's also not suuuuper well balanced. Which will bother some people more than others.

BloodySloth on
  • kayfabekayfabe Registered User regular
    CMON published a God of War card game. It is a co-op deck builder, not what I was expecting from CMON but actually really good.

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Minecraft Builders and Biomes is a decent strategy game if you have kids.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I'm re-watching the Twitch stream.

Man, the people in the twitch chat are just like "App required? I'm out" and being dickish about the art style / 3d model terrain.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Now if only they would actually re-release the version 2 expansions for Descent so I can actually pick them up.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

Man, the people in the twitch chat are just like "App required? I'm out" and being dickish about the art style / 3d model terrain.

I can see the beef with the app. Though I think it's real cool, just gotta be prepared to not be able to play your game in 10 years, so get your value out of it quickly! Now to convince a friend to buy it so I can play it.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    edited October 2020
    Basically everything from the stream was great but that pricetag is a huge shock. Maybe not an unreasonable price (it's comparable to if you bought all the figure expansions from the first wave of Imperial Assault) but one that demands pause.
    Athenor wrote: »

Some amount of the complaints about the art turned out (through further posts from those users that then got rightfully moderated into oblivion) to be complaints that the art had non-white people in it. Ugh. The chat was doing so well not being the stereotypical Twitch chat for a while.

antherem on

Eh, no thanks.

That is a FATT box.

I have a few that size and a lot that are bigger even.

Eh, no thanks.

That is a FATT box.

I have a few that size and a lot that are bigger even.

A non kickstarter box that is 1 foot cube is still kind of a big deal. :)

According to the devs, you will be able to store all the 3d terrain and minis in it without disassembly, except for the bone dragon.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    I would be potentially interested in giant coop descent, but I'm entirely out on giant coop descent that's actually a clunky video game. I like the art and the crazy 3d terrain toy aspect is fun, but the app just turns me off instantly.

edited October 2020
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    I would be potentially interested in giant coop descent, but I'm entirely out on giant coop descent that's actually a clunky video game. I like the art and the crazy 3d terrain toy aspect is fun, but the app just turns me off instantly.

My experience with some of their other apps (JIME, XCOM, MOM2) is that they're basically functioning as stat trackers and randomizers, and removing having to juggle a bunch of decks and tokens to handle the opposition (and/or having at least one person know the future to some extent and pretend they don't, for map reveals etc.) It's not for everybody for sure, but they've never felt like playing a clunky video game any more than for instance Gloomhaven does. If anything it's less clunky.

e: with the exception of XCOM, which intentionally feels like a video game.

antherem on
    They also mentioned that they have completely rewritten the app from the ground up. Which I really hope they back port to their older games. Now they will do things like having the campaign remember if you have figured out what a baddie is weak to.

Oh, and an undo function. Thank God.

16 scenarios in the initial campaign is pretty nice, especially if each takes about 2 hours to play with an hour of bookkeeping in between.

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

Bloodborne was a very enjoyable push your luck competitive treasure-grabber.

MrBody on