As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Sea Fox merchants buy PGI lostech using Terra-based shell company

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    In case people were wondering the outcome of the MWO League stream discussion, their final document is here: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/534536710630146069/768257174140485632/A_discussion_to_improve_MWO.pdf

If you really want to watch the stream, I've put it in the spoiler below. Keep in mind it's over 3 hours long.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the link to the pdf. I downloaded and read that instead of watching the 3 hour stream. I have to say if PGI even starts considering these I'd be happy and want to return to the game. All of that is something that I would continue to play and pay them to support the game. Hopefully they are serious about listening to the base and yeah I love the consideration to making it newbie friendly. I love the new player pack, that thing would seriously help people make the game fun for them. The skill tree being the first thing pointed out is the biggest violation ever for long time players as well as new players.

I'm seriously happy with the feedback they noted and hopefully they start working on it. I seriously want my Locust 1V LPL hilarity again.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    FINALLY got around to downloading MW5. Not sure how to play it, I've been getting really comfortable on my couch with a controller and going back to hunching over the TV dinner tray doesn't sound appealing. But I miss stomping around.

Betsuni wrote: »
    Thanks for the link to the pdf. I downloaded and read that instead of watching the 3 hour stream. I have to say if PGI even starts considering these I'd be happy and want to return to the game. All of that is something that I would continue to play and pay them to support the game. Hopefully they are serious about listening to the base and yeah I love the consideration to making it newbie friendly. I love the new player pack, that thing would seriously help people make the game fun for them. The skill tree being the first thing pointed out is the biggest violation ever for long time players as well as new players.

I'm seriously happy with the feedback they noted and hopefully they start working on it. I seriously want my Locust 1V LPL hilarity again.

Comp discord had somebody point out that you can see an absolutely stark drop off for new players in Steam achievements.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I think at this point they may be better served doing a MWO 2.

Though I think the current players may be a bit annoyed by that and I’m sure all dozen of them will let PGI know.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    Nobody wrote: »

Comp discord had somebody point out that you can see an absolutely stark drop off for new players in Steam achievements.

Yeah, by the time it launched on Steam it was not fun to play with friends in group queue since you were often matched up against the higher tiers. Heck, I think that was the way prior to that which made it hard for us to bring in newer players. I remember we got a few new members who got spat out by trying to group with us. Such an insane ramping to try and have a mech, fully equipped, and skilled AND having to learn how to play the game with friends.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Axen wrote: »

Though I think the current players may be a bit annoyed by that and I’m sure all dozen of them will let PGI know.

Believe it or not, there's a lot of calls for them to just start building MWO 2 on the Unreal engine.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    As someone who dipped his toes into MWO for a hot minute a few years ago, I will say that the game was absolutely not new-player friendly and were it not for the kindness of folks here I never would've gotten past my first 30 minutes of play. And this is coming from someone who already had some vague knowledge of the franchise from decades past.

It also felt VERY "free to play" in terms of the general grindiness and amount of content I was locked out of, which prevented me from truly enjoying the game. Once I finally understood how everything worked, I realized that I would have to sit there in my medium mech with my medium lasers and grind through hundreds of games just to get a different gameplay experience. Like, I hate to break it to you, but half the fun of Mechwarrior is kitting out your mechs and trying them in new and interesting environments. If I don't have that capability and I'm forced to play the exact same builds in the exact same way over such a long period of time, I'm not going to have fun playing and I will, inevitably, quit. There's just too much other good stuff out there for me to put that much time into playing peekaboo behind cover just to have a fighting chance of not being dead weight to my team.

As someone who dipped his toes into MWO for a hot minute a few years ago, I will say that the game was absolutely not new-player friendly and were it not for the kindness of folks here I never would've gotten past my first 30 minutes of play. And this is coming from someone who already had some vague knowledge of the franchise from decades past.

It also felt VERY "free to play" in terms of the general grindiness and amount of content I was locked out of, which prevented me from truly enjoying the game. Once I finally understood how everything worked, I realized that I would have to sit there in my medium mech with my medium lasers and grind through hundreds of games just to get a different gameplay experience. Like, I hate to break it to you, but half the fun of Mechwarrior is kitting out your mechs and trying them in new and interesting environments. If I don't have that capability and I'm forced to play the exact same builds in the exact same way over such a long period of time, I'm not going to have fun playing and I will, inevitably, quit. There's just too much other good stuff out there for me to put that much time into playing peekaboo behind cover just to have a fighting chance of not being dead weight to my team.

I thought you were one of those we tried to help out. Honestly I wish they would have done mech give aways like they did back in the hey day (they were free in events that didn't require you to grind a whole week or more to get, just a weekend or two evenings). Heck, they were all IS mechs, but at least I could play with a Thunderbolt, Centurion, and I think it was a Jaegermech or some other IS mech, but they were free and you could at least play mech tetris with them. That would have definitely helped the newer players to not burn out like you did.

I posted this in the MWO forums a few times when there was discussions on how to get and keep new players. Everybody told me that PGI still does it with the loot box events, but they honestly were not as easy to get as the earlier ones. Heck, I had a tough time getting some of the freebie mechs and I had lots to choose from just to do the parts of the events.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Yeah everyone here was great - I had a blast playing with you guys. People were super helpful and gave me tips, taught me how to play, got on comms for teams, the works. The problem was with the game, not the people.

If I stopped having fun with that level of support, imagine being a brand new player trying it out without any context or help at all. I know for a fact I wouldn't have been able to get past the first menu screen.

Yeah everyone here was great - I had a blast playing with you guys. People were super helpful and gave me tips, taught me how to play, got on comms for teams, the works. The problem was with the game, not the people.

If I stopped having fun with that level of support, imagine being a brand new player trying it out without any context or help at all. I know for a fact I wouldn't have been able to get past the first menu screen.

Oh trust me I don't blame you one bit for quitting. Heck I would have done the same in your position.

Also I didn't realize that they stealth announced the launch of MW5 on Steam and GoG with the expansion? O_o December 10, 2020 and has cross-play... I'm guessing they are going to charge an arm and a leg for MW5+DLC on Steam and GoG.

oosik_betsuni.png

Believe it or not, there's a lot of calls for them to just start building MWO 2 on the Unreal engine.

Y'know I can believe it. I may have joked in my post but honestly I believe most of the community would support an MWO 2 and probably not be total grognards about it. The Battletech community in general is one of quiet dignity. We just want our stompy robot fun.

Y'know I can believe it. I may have joked in my post but honestly I believe most of the community would support an MWO 2 and probably not be total grognards about it. The Battletech community in general is one of quiet dignity. We just want our stompy robot fun.

Basically the people left know that cryengine is ancient lostech and there’s no real way to get any major improvements without going to another engine.

The only argument is how they’ll handle all the stuff people bought in MWO

edited October 2020

Basically the people left know that cryengine is ancient lostech and there’s no real way to get any major improvements without going to another engine.

That is great that they have been looking into porting the game to Unreal at least to have a fresh start. Also that they are considerate to all of the players who have lots of stuff now.

Edit: I remember them talking about a possibility of Unreal Engine MWO back when they started using it for MW5, but it was just joking about how they could actually put in everything that they would want.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png

Yeah that is the big sticking point.

Historically, most Devs don't do anything. Perhaps some sort of special thingy is given to those fans, but in general it is usually a clean slate.

I honestly wouldn't expect a MWO 2 to be any different and I also wouldn't blame PGI for it. Which is saying something since there is usually everything I could blame PGI for.

In this regard I still think most of the diehard community would be understanding of it. Certainly not all, since it is never all, but I would expect most (myself included in that group) to be accepting (though maybe a bit disappointed).

Somewhat luckily for PGI in this matter is that their current player base is super-duper small compared to the teeming masses of new players that would likely (at least for a little while) jump in to a MWO 2.

Honestly, IMHO, I think the biggest barrier to the success of a MWO 2 is PGI themselves.

That is great that they have been looking into porting the game to Unreal at least to have a fresh start. Also that they are considerate to all of the players who have lots of stuff now.

Edit: I remember them talking about a possibility of Unreal Engine MWO back when they started using it for MW5, but it was just joking about how they could actually put in everything that they would want.

Russ specifically mentioned that it’d be about 2 years to code MWO2 in Unreal if they started now. Why they didn’t code MW5 with that in mind is a big question mark.

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

Yeah that is the big sticking point.

Historically, most Devs don't do anything. Perhaps some sort of special thingy is given to those fans, but in general it is usually a clean slate.

I honestly wouldn't expect a MWO 2 to be any different and I also wouldn't blame PGI for it. Which is saying something since there is usually everything I could blame PGI for.

In this regard I still think most of the diehard community would be understanding of it. Certainly not all, since it is never all, but I would expect most (myself included in that group) to be accepting (though maybe a bit disappointed).

Somewhat luckily for PGI in this matter is that their current player base is super-duper small compared to the teeming masses of new players that would likely (at least for a little while) jump in to a MWO 2.

Honestly, IMHO, I think the biggest barrier to the success of a MWO 2 is PGI themselves.

Speaking as someone with triple-digit 'Mechs in MWO:

YOOOOO, FUUUUCK WIPING MY SLATE CLEAN.

It's all sunk cost obviously, especially if I never play again. And I wouldn't care about 80% of my stable honestly. On TWO accounts, mind you. But PGI has a database of every purchase ever, so there's no excuse they can't track it in a changeover. And there's exactly zero chance I'd give them any dollars on an MWO2 if they didn't make a better-than-token effort.

They need a different monetization scheme. Their first one clearly did not have long legs, and did clearly show diminishing returns.

Russ specifically mentioned that it’d be about 2 years to code MWO2 in Unreal if they started now. Why they didn’t code MW5 with that in mind is a big question mark.

Axon got it in one, there.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    In MWO News:

I just checked and am 3 games away from getting the 7th anniversary freebies. So I have a purpose to log in and get some games in!!!

oosik_betsuni.png
    In my MWO2 concept, mechs wouldn’t be bought in packs anyway, but I’d consider making special cosmetics (and Bonus exp) available for people who had x number of mechs in the base game.

Out of curiosity, how many folks who play MWO ended up getting Battletech (the PC tactics game)? And did you get it for the franchise or the gameplay (or both)? And compared to MWO or even MW4/MW5, how did it compare?

Out of curiosity, how many folks who play MWO ended up getting Battletech (the PC tactics game)? And did you get it for the franchise or the gameplay (or both)? And compared to MWO or even MW4/MW5, how did it compare?

I backed the BT KS because I had so many fun memories of playing the Crescent Hawk's games and Mech Commander.

I need to get back to it now that I realized that I can't use a Dragon, Awesome and Catapult with a light tactic. I like it a bit more than MW5 for odd weapon builds but nothing as fun as MWO where you can run a completely crappy yet fun build and the rest of your team can carry your destroyed mech to victory. MW5 is more restrictive than BT on weapon loadouts.

oosik_betsuni.png
    I have the base BT game (mainly for the franchise). Gameplay took some getting used to.

It gets closer to scratching the "I haven't played TT in a while" itch than MWO, but I also feel I have to block out larger periods of time to play it

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    Speaking as someone with triple-digit 'Mechs in MWO:

YOOOOO, FUUUUCK WIPING MY SLATE CLEAN.

It's all sunk cost obviously, especially if I never play again. And I wouldn't care about 80% of my stable honestly. On TWO accounts, mind you. But PGI has a database of every purchase ever, so there's no excuse they can't track it in a changeover. And there's exactly zero chance I'd give them any dollars on an MWO2 if they didn't make a better-than-token effort.

They need a different monetization scheme. Their first one clearly did not have long legs, and did clearly show diminishing returns.

I definitely get the vibe for this, but at the same time, if they're not able to stage the introduction of 'mechs, and/or get new revenue from pack sales, there's really no incentive to even do MWO 2.

I think the best thing to do would be to introduce a stable of mechs like they did originally (I think the AGOAC + Griffin is probably fine?), then have an "expanded" list of 'mechs that, if you bought the mech packs previously, you get the core/base model automatically when it's released (and have a list of mechs that are "released" at go, but only if you have the mech pack from before).

Then make sure to add at least one new variant to each mech, and sell the packs as at least pairs. That way you'll still end up getting a fair amount of sales, but folks who'd previously dropped $Texas will have something incentivizing them to get into MWO 2, which will incentivize them to spend money on it.

But of course, this:

Is evergreen.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    IMO Mech Packs would be dead for MWO2, they'd be better off going after season passes with hero or chase variants locked within them, along with MC and cosmetics purchases.

FWIW: I'm a long-time Battletech fan. I was already into MWO, and immediately threw money at the BATTLETECH Kickstarter as soon as it opened. I got it for the franchise, for the gameplay, and for love of country supporting a dev that I believed would treat the property well. I was well rewarded for my faith!

Comparing MW* with BT is apples and oranges; they're really not at all the same thing. They both scratch different itches, which is great. The MW games have always been shooters with a light touch of simulation to them, whereas BT is a straight-up turn-based tactics game with a delicious strategy layer wrapped around it.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    If MWO:2 didn't start with a clean slate (cosmetic unlocks would be OK for MWO players) there is no way in hell I would play it.

Cobalt60 wrote: »
    If MWO:2 didn't start with a clean slate (cosmetic unlocks would be OK for MWO players) there is no way in hell I would play it.

Clean Slate as in everyone has the exact same 4-8 mechs, one variant each, to choose from? Or Clean Slate as in just a drastically scaled back number of mechs/variants to choose from?

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I would like to see some kind of carryover process if a sequel was being worked on. Not perhaps like, immediate ownership of every single new mech previously owned in MWO but the ability to immediately own one variant of choice or the ability to earn at a steep discount. The key is to make it feel like all that time and money sunk into the first game at least carries over in some way to the sequel in a way that makes returning players feel substantially appreciated.

I would love to see them improve on the framework they built with MW5 and carry that over to some capacity in a MWO sequel, as they've always nailed every iteration in terms of battlemech shooter crunchiness. I fucking love all of that stuff. It's just the bones around that which raises questions

They could always do a license system where you either can’t pilot a mech (or can but have penalties) until you earn/buy the license, and give MWO converts an automatic license for mechs they own at least one chassis of.

• monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    If they do a MWO2, they really should cut the real $ price of mechs. I felt OK with how much free stuff they gave out, but I wanted to give them a little more money but didn't see the value for it.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Just don't make people buy mechs or equipment. Monetize elsewhere.

Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Just don't make people buy mechs or equipment. Monetize elsewhere.

Hmm, maybe subscription based? As others said, bolt-ons, colors and patterns?

I honestly would have no idea and any sort of 'energy' f2p stuff would just kill the enthusiasm for playing the game. I figure premium time could also be part of it, but not sure how many people would buy that.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Season pass: Cosmetics and a rare mech type opened along the way (maybe a hero mech?).

For sale cosmetics: cockpit items, colors, patterns, maybe even pilot customization.

Maybe look into sound options (different computers, High Command voices) for sale too. Think Japanese for Kurita or German for Steiner.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I haven't played any of the other recent mechwarrior games, different computer voices would have me pulling out my credit card in a hot second though

Orca wrote: »
    I haven't played any of the other recent mechwarrior games, different computer voices would have me pulling out my credit card in a hot second though

Lol. Bitchin' Betty or bust, yo.

Annual Rewards program info for this year was posted.

Rewards are basically any previously released hero or loyalty mech. Absolutely nothing new is being offered.

So.

Yeah.

• McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Crossposting from the hobby thread, because this is tangentially related to video games (it sorta looks like mechcommander!)

I'm learning how to make voxel models, so for my first thingy I made a Timberwolf!
    hoz4bntiqn6a.jpg
    1k9kta1lddwy.gif

website_header.jpg
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Boo to getting offered Black Market access and not having the cash (with unsold mechs in storage).

Boo I say!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I have spent around 300 hours playing BATTLETECH and have never once been offered black market access. Including several attempts to cheese travel encounters.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    I have spent around 300 hours playing BATTLETECH and have never once been offered black market access. Including several attempts to cheese travel encounters.

That's nuts, I've never not been in 273h (on my third playthrough now) - and in my current one I was offered it twice!

96058.png?1619393207