As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The newest action figures (and other toys) thread (NSF56k)

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    They look great. Are you painting the eyes also, or are they pre-painted (or decals or something)?

Not painting the eyes, they are inserts that you can switch out. I might get into making my own eyes one of these days, but for now I'm using the ones made by Danny Choo.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Is Hasbro Pulse preferable to other online stores?

Eh, they’ll be retail price since it’s directly from Hasbro, as opposed to some other sites like BBTS being a dollar or two more since they’re third party. Hasbro also has free shipping if you break a threshold, maybe $40? I forget.

The thing I don’t get is it seems like stores and online retailers will often get Hasbro products before my Hasbro Pulse order ships, so that’s a little frustrating. I mainly use Pulse for their exclusives.

So yeah, overall they’re good, just a bit slow, and have cool exclusives

The only reason I use them is that I have yet to be screwed by them cancelling a pre-order. They had only one that I knew of that failed which was mini-cassette set that apparently a shipment was lost at sea or destroyed. Other than that they are usually solid and yeah almost always slow to get the items compared to the other sites and stores. I did notice that the last few Masterpieces they did beat BBTS in shipping them out. I just attribute that to they don't want to step on their partners by beating them to the punch.

Speaking of that, here's their pre-order which is the same price as BBTS.
    https://hasbropulse.com/products/transformers-takara-tomy-masterpiece-mp-52-starscream

Also two new exclusives of the Terrorcons and Siege Soundblaster.
    $189.99 https://hasbropulse.com/collections/new/products/transformers-takara-tomy-generations-selects-tt-gs05-abominus-hasbro-pulse-exclusive
    $42.99 https://hasbropulse.com/collections/new/products/transformers-takara-tomy-generations-selects-tt-gs12-soundblaster-hasbro-pulse-exclusive

Oh man those terrorcons are hitting me in my nostalgic feels. I had the original ones as a kid.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I finally got around to painting a face on one of the blank heads I have. Somewhat generic, but I'm pleased with it. I have a lot of heads so I can start experimenting, but I wanted to start easy.
    rfbpczffvtsi.jpg

Oh, thank goodness, she's got eyes.
    No toy based nightmares tonight.
    New faces in progress.
    hwrb1hzmmzop.jpg

AAAAAAGHHH!
    ...damnit...

Seriously though, these look really cool.
    Do you freehand the painting, or are there stencils/patterns to use?

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    I finally got around to painting a face on one of the blank heads I have. Somewhat generic, but I'm pleased with it. I have a lot of heads so I can start experimenting, but I wanted to start easy.
    rfbpczffvtsi.jpg

Oh, thank goodness, she's got eyes.
    No toy based nightmares tonight.
    New faces in progress.
    hwrb1hzmmzop.jpg

AAAAAAGHHH!
    ...damnit...

Seriously though, these look really cool.
    Do you freehand the painting, or are there stencils/patterns to use?

It's freehand, but I start with watercolor pencils to draw the design first, then acrylic paint in the areas that I feel need it. The blush effects (on lips and cheeks) are done with soft pastels, and I use an actual makeup brush for the cheeks (an eye shadow blender). I'm going to try a slight open mouthed look on the tea-colored face, which will involve some white paint. We'll see how it goes.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Mouth penciled in, but I don't think I'm brave enough to try acrylic paint over it so this is probably final.
    qlm0da3e4n8y.jpg

I actually think I'm going to step away from using acrylics at all, except for special effects, because I'm just not steady enough with the brushes to get the precision I want. For this face I do need to continue building the pencil color strong enough that it's solid, which may take several layers, but I like the basic look.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Sorry, this was for the arts and crafts thread, m'bad.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    That was strangely mesmerizing...

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    That was strangely mesmerizing...

Lol I didn't mean that for this thread, it was for the arts and crafts thread. I've moved it.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Aww, it was pretty cool, I thought you posted it as a neat vintage "collectible"

Does anyone have any cool vintage stuff? I don't even know what that would be considered at this point. Technically a car needs to be at least 25 years old to be antique, so maybe my kid toys are considered antique now?

That's depressing

For the most part, "vintage" stuff doesn't interest me to own. I definitely enjoy and appreciate looking at other peoples vintage stuff, but personally I like to fiddle with my stuff, and most older toys just aren't as fun. Like, I love Transformers, that's what I collect the most, and I grew up with G1, but I don't really have much interest in owning G1 toys since they're mostly weirdly-proportioned poorly-articulated bricks.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    Two faces complete:
    npmeyq03hjui.jpgzje2onddyvsu.jpg

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Aww, it was pretty cool, I thought you posted it as a neat vintage "collectible"

Does anyone have any cool vintage stuff? I don't even know what that would be considered at this point. Technically a car needs to be at least 25 years old to be antique, so maybe my kid toys are considered antique now?

That's depressing

For the most part, "vintage" stuff doesn't interest me to own. I definitely enjoy and appreciate looking at other peoples vintage stuff, but personally I like to fiddle with my stuff, and most older toys just aren't as fun. Like, I love Transformers, that's what I collect the most, and I grew up with G1, but I don't really have much interest in owning G1 toys since they're mostly weirdly-proportioned poorly-articulated bricks.

I always go into antique stores and go through the toys and media sections when I have time. I've found some gems from time to time. I found Earthbound with a giant Blockbuster sticker on it for 3 bucks in a Goodwill, I found MvC 1 and 2 for Dreamcast in a small mom n pop antique shop. Also I visited my step grandmother's once and helped them move some old boxes, we found about 4-5 original Star Wars Kenner figures, in varying states of condition. We ended up selling them all for a decent chunk of change, they seemed really skeptical when I was like "Hey these might be worth some money."

Just knowing what to look for makes for fun experiences like that

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    My reason for painting these faces was to sell them and I really wasn't expecting to like any of my paintjobs enough to keep one. Wellllll.... I might keep this one.
    l5n0wazr5rvn.jpg

• Options
    I already ran out of fixative spray. :( I can continue to work on the faces I have the base layers on, but I can't do layers until more spray is delivered. Sigh.

• Options
    New face started, but this is as far as I can go with it until the fixative spray I ordered is delivered. This one is going to have the lavender eyes.
    do336ex8m57v.jpg

• Options
    Y'know I didn't think it was possible for Disney to make any merch I'd really want and then they go and make these
    2xswga0bkr0l.jpg

Next you're telling me they gonna do Silverhawks too

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Amazon Seeker two pack is back up and live. Go get them whomever still wanted them!

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B083VMBWCK/

I think it was @Nobody ?

Edit: Also Walgreens Transformers Bluestreak is up for shipping.

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/transformers-generations-war-for-cybertron-deluxe-wfc-e32-bluestreak/ID=300406707-product

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Amazon Seeker two pack is back up and live. Go get them whomever still wanted them!

I think it was @Nobody ?

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/transformers-generations-war-for-cybertron-deluxe-wfc-e32-bluestreak/ID=300406707-product

Amazon needs to do something about those scalper bots, it’s already back out of stock

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Nobody wrote: »

I think it was Nobody ?

Amazon needs to do something about those scalper bots, it’s already back out of stock

Damn, I was hoping you would get one.

Edit: Some are speculating that maybe Amazon is putting up stock in batches since these were ready to ship out and delivered by Saturday.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    Funko shop has a 10in gitd oogie boogie up. I nabbed one to gift to someone.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    TFCon is happening this weekend (virtually, of course). That means some 3rd party convention exclusives. Planet X will have whatever this is (I think it's a War for Cybertron-style Ultra Magnus using Diaclone colors? Something along those lines?):

MMC Ocular Max will have a translucent, smokey version of their not-Ravage:

Fans-Hobby will have their recent Athena (not-Minerva) remolded into a not-Windblade:

There might be more announced tomorrow/Friday, I'm not sure. They've been doing one per day so far.

That not-Windblade looks pretty cool! It's also a pretty non-trivial remold, which is nice.

Gonna bat-signal @Betsuni on this one - I think you mentioned before that you enjoy convention exclusives, right?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Oh man, I kinda want that Windblade, but I'll hold out for one with a jet mode.

• Options
    Aw yeah I sort of like the Windblade too. Wonder if there is a chance since she is limited and only at one store. I already have the Glit version of the Ravage otherwise I would have gone for that one.

Thanks for the heads-up!

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Danny Choo realllllly knows how to dial into my gambling urges. He's selling random painted heads at a reduced price, with some chance of getting a prototype head. Fucking job search, why haven't you given me a job yet? If I had any kind of offer I wouldn't hesitate, but since I don't... ugh. It's not like there won't be future sculpts and paints that I'll probably like more but still UGH.

• Options
    Speaking of Diaclone, I really dig some of the stuff but man is it so expensive.

• Options
    Aw yeah I sort of like the Windblade too. Wonder if there is a chance since she is limited and only at one store. I already have the Glit version of the Ravage otherwise I would have gone for that one.

Thanks for the heads-up!
    I've never paid attention to TFCon exclusives before (well, I checked some out after the conventions), so I have no idea how likely they are to sell out. My guess is that you'll be able to get one if you really want it, based solely on the fact that previous con exclusives were still available years after the convention itself, but who knows how things will play out in the year 20-literally-all-bets-are-off-20.

• Options
    Danny Choo realllllly knows how to dial into my gambling urges. He's selling random painted heads at a reduced price, with some chance of getting a prototype head. Fucking job search, why haven't you given me a job yet? If I had any kind of offer I wouldn't hesitate, but since I don't... ugh. It's not like there won't be future sculpts and paints that I'll probably like more but still UGH.

Yeah, I'm guessing it is due to the recessions due to the whole world right now that he's doing these? Or is this something he regularly does? Hopefully it is the later and you'll have a job when he does do it again.

Or you could gamble again and get a prototype to sell for beaucoup bucks! Probably not since you got one last time huh?
    Delduwath wrote: »

Thanks for the heads-up!
    I've never paid attention to TFCon exclusives before (well, I checked some out after the conventions), so I have no idea how likely they are to sell out. My guess is that you'll be able to get one if you really want it, based solely on the fact that previous con exclusives were still available years after the convention itself, but who knows how things will play out in the year 20-literally-all-bets-are-off-20.

Yeah, last time I managed to snag the con exclusives pretty easy because nobody really cared (till after they were sold out of course). This time though I might go for it, but really convincing myself I don't need one to use for other things I want more.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options

Yeah, I'm guessing it is due to the recessions due to the whole world right now that he's doing these? Or is this something he regularly does? Hopefully it is the later and you'll have a job when he does do it again.

Or you could gamble again and get a prototype to sell for beaucoup bucks! Probably not since you got one last time huh?

No, it's not because of the recession. As a matter of fact, he's said that his sales have only increased since Covid. The clearinghouse stuff is because he's moving officies and wants to get rid of extra stock so he doesn't have to move it.

The gambling demon has passed, though, they're all sold out of the lootbox-style stuff. Now I can just wait impatiently for a new job and spend a fortune once I have one.

• Options

No, it's not because of the recession. As a matter of fact, he's said that his sales have only increased since Covid. The clearinghouse stuff is because he's moving officies and wants to get rid of extra stock so he doesn't have to move it.

The gambling demon has passed, though, they're all sold out of the lootbox-style stuff. Now I can just wait impatiently for a new job and spend a fortune once I have one.

Ah that's good for you on both parts! One that he's doing well enough to continue on and be able to sell dolls to you once you get your job. :D

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Another TFCon exclusive:

Vaguely themed after both the bat version of Optimus Primal (if you squint), and also Batman (if you squint). I think this is the last con exclusive.

• Options
    Whoa that's neat

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's really rad and makes me want an official TF Batman crossover that won't cost an arm and a leg.

• Options
    Haha, man, OK. One more TFCon exclusive has been announced. Years ago, FansProject - arguably the original Big And Serious 3P company - put out a really cool Menasor. This was back before everyone was doing Masterpiece G1, back when CHUG-size and -aesthetic was the norm. This was actually the last 3P toy I got before diving back into it last year. Anyway, for years now, Ages Three And Up has had a TFCon exclusive project: a G2 recolor of that FansProject Menasor. Stunticon by Stunticon, year by year, slowly getting it out there.

And now, the set will finally be complete:

I think G2 colors are garish in a way that I don't find appealing even ironically, but I gotta be honest, I think they actually kinda work with that design.

Oh, and speaking of exclusives, it sounds like YouTuber TMReviews (a pretty solid guy) is gonna do a review of the not-Batman-not-Transformer:
    https://www.youtube.com/post/UgyvQcV6l9-k3K5ZpEd4AaABCQ
    https://www.youtube.com/post/Ugxp3AZUaeOWUQqVgm94AaABCQ
    ^ Those are YouTube Community posts with two new photos of the toy, and a tease implying that there'll be something related to it up tomorrow.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Not a toy but, check out this slick Mando sling bag I secured
    54xzzvbm4iep.png
    https://imgur.com/a/5ogLCH4

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Funko had a surprise drop today, a new Blacklight Marvel Pop. This time it was Carnage. It sold out in 3-4 minutes. I did not get it because I'm at work lmao

Part of what makes it so annoying is they let people buy two. Like... Why

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Funko had a surprise drop today, a new Blacklight Marvel Pop. This time it was Carnage. It sold out in 3-4 minutes. I did not get it because I'm at work lmao

Part of what makes it so annoying is they let people buy two. Like... Why

That sucks, but from what I understand it most Funko collectors buy one to open and one to keep sealed. Or two to put on on eBay and fund the addiction...

Anyways, I finally have toys to share!

I got the credit Cara Dune from my local Target (drive up is so awesome, I don't have to go in at all) and now I don't want to open it up since the packaging is so cool! But I really want to play with the credit chip... I'll probably end up cutting the packaging open to take them out and put them back in, or just cut off the plastic part to keep the card for display. The name of the line is Credit which I found out has a double meaning. The first is the credit chip included with the toy. The second is that these are painted in the colors of the ending credits. Talk about clever! I loved it so much that I had to get this one and maybe I'll get the Mandalorian later on to join her.

Cara_Dune_Credit.jpg

The Holiday Clone Trooper is so coming out of his box and will be put out for Christmas every year from this year forward! The ugly sweater is so hilarious and perfect. Too bad they didn't make a Holiday Kylo, Emperor and Vader to lead them (maybe next year if these sell well). According to the video announcement Hasbro made they had this funny idea for these and pitched it to LucasFilms. They denied the request. Then the joke was that they also made the cute additional 'critters' (in this case a Porg) and that sold LucasFilms to green light the line. There are multiple different "Troopers" for this line and I have all but the Target one pre-ordered. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up a Target one or get one shipped once they come out to complete the set.

Clone_Trooper_Holiday.jpg

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    I have the Credits Cara, and Mando and blue Heavy Mando are on order. I’m not sure if I will bother with IG or the Death Trooper, just don’t look as interesting

One day I see those Xmas troopers and want them, then the next day I see them and just don’t care. So torn

Jay, that Carnage looks rad af

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    I have the Credits Cara, and Mando and blue Heavy Mando are on order. I’m not sure if I will bother with IG or the Death Trooper, just don’t look as interesting

One day I see those Xmas troopers and want them, then the next day I see them and just don’t care. So torn

Jay, that Carnage looks rad af

Did you open your Cara or keep not sealed?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    There's like, 3-4 different threads this could go in, and I figure I don't really have a presence in the others so I'll post it here:

I got my usual BBTS "here's what's upcoming" email and I'm idly scrolling through it when I come across this and had a record scratch moment:

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/140177

To give you an idea of how big of a "wait, what" moment this was for me:
    My family was stationed in Japan (father was a civilian working for the military) when I was young. This series had started on TV over there and we had started watching it (as best we could, no subtitles or dubbing of course), and I had gotten some of the toys for it, before we had moved back to the US. Of course, it never exported to the States (predated MMPR by a decade and all of the exports after that took off were based on the series that the various Power Rangers shows were based on).

I also found out there was an English dubbed export, and somebody managed to upload almost all the episodes to Youtube so I finally got to see the series and how it ended about a year ago.

I'm really struggling with not throwing money at this for preorder. At least it's easier with the second item from the series: https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/140438

• Options
    Nobody wrote: »
    There's like, 3-4 different threads this could go in, and I figure I don't really have a presence in the others so I'll post it here:

I got my usual BBTS "here's what's upcoming" email and I'm idly scrolling through it when I come across this and had a record scratch moment:

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/140177

To give you an idea of how big of a "wait, what" moment this was for me:
    My family was stationed in Japan (father was a civilian working for the military) when I was young. This series had started on TV over there and we had started watching it (as best we could, no subtitles or dubbing of course), and I had gotten some of the toys for it, before we had moved back to the US. Of course, it never exported to the States (predated MMPR by a decade and all of the exports after that took off were based on the series that the various Power Rangers shows were based on).

I also found out there was an English dubbed export, and somebody managed to upload almost all the episodes to Youtube so I finally got to see the series and how it ended about a year ago.

I'm really struggling with not throwing money at this for preorder. At least it's easier with the second item from the series: https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/140438

What the???? WHAT???!!!!! I have a funny story to add to yours.
    Ok, you want to hear something even more funny? When I was a kid watching TV and our local Public Broadcasting System channel had one of those auctions to raise money for funding. We watched a ton of public broadcasting growing up and for some reason we were watching the show with the auction on it. They had a lot of Japanese robots that I wanted so my parents told me if I wanted it I had to call in the bid. Yeah I shocked them and called in my bid. So since I did that they gave me a limit and I won the lot. From that lot I got a small Bioman and BioDragon! The Bioman did not separate but just "folded down" to the flying mode. I actually have my Biodragon in the front room for my niece and nephew to play with. So man, this is hilarious to me that they are bringing out mini-plas of them. I so need to go watch the youtube videos of the show.

Man, that is too cool though! Thanks for posting these links, now I'm tempted to buy both even though I have the original toys! Well ok, only one is the huge BioDragon, the other is a smaller 6" figure of Bioman. But I have to have the matching pair right?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    I had the Bio Robo that did separate, as well as the Biodragon that they could fit in.

(I also had toys for the two series that preceded them).

Have fun with the series!