As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

In a world, where [Trailers] are fun...

TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
edited March 2022 in Debate and/or Discourse
OP stolen from the last thread - I will try and come up with a better one later.
The first trailer shown in an American film theater was in November 1913, when Nils Granlund, the advertising manager for the Marcus Loew theater chain, produced a short promotional film for the musical The Pleasure Seekers, opening at the Winter Garden Theatre on Broadway. As reported in a wire service story carried by the Lincoln, Nebraska Daily Star, the practice which Loew adopted was described as "an entirely new and unique stunt", and that "moving pictures of the rehearsals and other incidents connected with the production will be sent out in advance of the show, to be presented to the Loew’s picture houses and will take the place of much of the bill board advertising".[3] Granlund was also first to introduce trailer material for an upcoming motion picture, using a slide technique to promote an upcoming film featuring Charlie Chaplin at Loew's Seventh Avenue Theatre in Harlem in 1914.

Trailers were initially shown after, or "trailing", the feature film, and this led to their being called "trailers". The practice was found to be somewhat ineffective, often ignored by audiences who left immediately after the feature. Later, exhibitors changed their practice so that trailers were only one part of the film program, which included cartoon shorts, newsreels, and serial adventure episodes. Today, more elaborate trailers and commercial advertisements have largely replaced other forms of pre-feature entertainment, and in major multiplex chains, about the first 20 minutes after the posted showtime is devoted to trailers.[citation needed]

Up until the late 1950s, trailers were mostly created by National Screen Service and consisted of various key scenes from the film being advertised, often augmented with large, descriptive text describing the story, and an underscore generally pulled from studio music libraries. Most trailers had some form of narration, and those that did featured stentorian voices.[citation needed]

In the early 1960s, the face of motion picture trailers changed. Textless, montage trailers and quick-editing became popular, largely due to the arrival of the "new Hollywood" and techniques that were becoming increasingly popular in television. Among the trend setters were Stanley Kubrick with his montage trailers for Lolita (1962), Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964), and 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968). Kubrick's main inspiration for the Dr. Strangelove trailer was the short film Very Nice, Very Nice (1961) by Canadian film visionary Arthur Lipsett. Pablo Ferro, who pioneered the techniques Kubrick required as necessary elements for the success of his campaign, created the Dr. Strangelove trailer, as well as the award-winning trailer for A Clockwork Orange (1971).[citation needed]

Many home videos contain trailers for other movies produced by the same company scheduled to be available shortly after the legal release of the video, so as not to spend money advertising the videos on TV. Most VHS tapes would play them at the beginning of the tape, but some VHS tapes contained previews at the end of the film or at both ends of the tape. VHS tapes that contained trailers at the end usually reminded the viewer to "Stay tuned after the feature for more previews." With DVDs and Blu-rays, trailers can operate as a bonus feature instead of having to watch through the trailers before the film

And some actual Trailers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9S7wyqkMjA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l13yPhimE3o

Again - will update later!

Bogart on

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    So this is a trailer for the real OP?

Meta...

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I feel like the myth of Polybius died with arcades. The myth basically said that it was an arcade game that would kill you if you played it. Usually some sort of seizure porygon episode of Pokémon style type myth.

Jeff Minter, creator of arcade game "tube shooters" like Tempest 2000, Centipede, and space giraffe, who really enjoys making these kinds of trippy fast arcade games, decided to make a 'real' Polybius a few years ago. It's pretty crazy and works in VR and is very intense:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h93Gokilr8k

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

I feel like this was made for the distinct purpose of annoying Dan Harmon.

• TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
  • EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    From the studio that made Song of the Sea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_Z_tybgPgg

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Entriech wrote: »
    From the studio that made Song of the Sea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_Z_tybgPgg

This studio somehow always cuts straight to my core and makes me emotional. Their stuff is just too pretty.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

I couldn't find the new trailers thread so I just posted this to Movies.

Looks fun! Like a mix between Mando and Last Airbender with some additional fantasy flair.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Yeah that does look cool. I’m not convinced I’ll be willing to take my daughter to the theater by March 2021 yet though. :/

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Mank, a new David Fincher effort scored again by Trent Reznor. On Netflix in December.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSfX-nrg-lI&feature=youtu.be

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Where is the Nurse. I want to say hello to Hello Nurse or I will say goodbye.

TexiKen wrote: »

I can't imagine that they keep that joke, at least in the same fashion as it was used before.

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular

My understanding is that the majority of the side characters from the original Animaniacs will not be returning.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

My understanding is that the majority of the side characters from the original Animaniacs will not be returning.

The continued snubbing of the Goodfeathers is a disgrace.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    OP stolen from the last thread - I will try and come up with a better one later.

Again - will update later!

1) My OP is great, doing be hating

2) If I had a nickle for every OP that said that but never gets updated.....

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Hwhshwsssshehwh maaaabaaaa hwwweeeaaaah.

The Godpidgeon says, "Nah - the joke's a little too long in the tooth at this point. And besides, do you want Buttons and Mindy? Because that's how you get Buttons and Mindy."

• see317see317 Registered User regular

What about Chicken Boo?
    Cause I would love to see more animated shorts about that perfectly normal, average, every day human being.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    What about Katie Kaboom? Or was that on Tiny Toons?

sig.gif
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

The Godpidgeon says, "Nah - the joke's a little too long in the tooth at this point. And besides, do you want Buttons and Mindy? Because that's how you get Buttons and Mindy."

Ok but... What do I have to do to get Slappy Squirrel back?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

That was Animaniacs.

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

Tell her who's on stage.

nibXTE7.png
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

Tell her who's on stage.

The Who!

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]

Tell her who's on stage.

The Who!
    ?

https://youtu.be/jM8dCGIm6yc

sig.gif
    Sorce wrote: »

I'm guessing that one's not coming back.
    Somehow a teenager whose family lives in perpetual terror because she'll turn into a literal monster over the smallest of inconveniences or annoyances and destroy their lives no longer seems like a great source of humor.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    That would be because we got old.

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Dolly rocks.

She's a living cartoon with a heart of gold.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Just saw the Animaniacs trailer. To me it looks like it follows the spirit of the original. I hope they sneak in the occasional stealth educational bit too.

Quid wrote: »
    Just saw the Animaniacs trailer. To me it looks like it follows the spirit of the original. I hope they sneak in the occasional stealth educational bit too.

If there's no Wheel of Morality, I'm boycotting.

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    Dolly rocks.

She's a living cartoon with a heart of gold.

hannah montana is basically a prequel to dolly parton

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »

If there's no Wheel of Morality, I'm boycotting.

Good Idea Bad Idea or I feed

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTZDb_iKooI

Tom Hanks has a trial of life western film directed by the guy who can't keep a camera steady.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Tom Hanks has a trial of life western film directed by the guy who can't keep a camera steady.

where the fuck's the giant robot man?

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I mean I want to see it but not enough to risk a theater.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    tom hanks certainly needs to play at least 3 more characters in the film to make it worth it

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Has this been posted? The second most awesome character from stranger things in a creepy horror movie. Could do without the social media stuff, but still looks good.

https://youtu.be/7H2xfDNYsz0

Preacher wrote: »

Look at him.

He is the captain now. Again.

sig.gif
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I was thinking, one way to make me more interested in going to theaters again would be to seriously cut down on the number of trailers. And hopefully studios and theaters would get their heads out their asses to realize this (lol never then). I'm willing to go to a theater now, they just haven't put anything worthwhile for me yet.

News of the World seemed interesting until the grandiose epic music started and then it just went full on oscar bait. And it'd probably do well this year with no real competition.

This discussion has been closed.