As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

"Graphic Novels" for a 10 year old

MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
My younger daughter has really taken to books such as Big Nate, Smile, Sisters, Superhero Girls, Awkward, Ghosts, etc

I'd like to show her some other options but I'm pretty directionless in this area.

I may take her to the local comic shop to see what they have but I'm worried that most titles will be a bit too gory or adult for her.

She's read all the (new) Babysitter's Club books already.

She's still hesitant to read something that doesn't have pictures but I don't want her to stop reading.

Any recommendations?

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    My daughters love The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Lumberjanes and Bone. All very much all ages friendly.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I read my copy of Bone to my former landlord's daughter when she was five, and she kept it until after she went to college.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Bone was also the first one that came to mind here.

Mouse Guard is beautiful to lock at.

Nimona by Noelle Stephenson, but maybe a bit too young for that (recommendations for that seem to be 12 and up)

Scrooge McDuck by Don Rosa is liked by just about any kid I know.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    Thanks! Keep em coming! I grabbed single issues of Bone, Lumberjanes, and 5 Worlds last night

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    My nephew and niece loved Mouseguard, The Mice Templar, Bone (the big fat collected edition), Bad Machinery, Gunnerkrigg Court and Amulet.

• Options
    manjimanji Registered User regular
    Cucumber Quest is excellent, my daughter loves it.

• Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    I've read the Backstagers recently and it's a delight

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I’m taking a lot of notes here!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I gave my cousin a copy of the large version of bone and she annihilated it. Make sure you by a decent enough copy for them.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Calvin and Hobbes?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    One more for Amulet. Couldn't keep those books on the shelves for more than an hour before a kid would check them out.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    My younger daughter has really taken to books such as Big Nate, Smile, Sisters, Superhero Girls, Awkward, Ghosts, etc

I'd like to show her some other options but I'm pretty directionless in this area.

I may take her to the local comic shop to see what they have but I'm worried that most titles will be a bit too gory or adult for her.

She's read all the (new) Babysitter's Club books already.

She's still hesitant to read something that doesn't have pictures but I don't want her to stop reading.

Any recommendations?

Have you looked at any graphic novel adaptations of popular kids books? The kind of thing where if she enjoys them it might help ease her into reading the full novels. That was pretty helpful for us with our son, going from the Wings of Fire or Percy Jackson graphic novels into the actual novels.

• Options
    I found a decent price for some of the Amulet books on eBay so I grabbed those as well.

Good call @Ketar ; I'll poke around

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Yeah, my son loved the Amulet series.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    The Witch Boy series is really great.

• Options
    GurpGurp Registered User new member
    I read Thor the Mighty Avenger and it was a great gateway into the character but I haven't read it in a while so I'm not too sure about it in terms of the content in it.

• Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    Fantasy Sports by Sam Bosma. Basically, a Wizard and a Fighter go compete in sports competitions in search of treasure (e.g. basketball vs a mummy, volleyball vs bullywugs).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SteveRageSteveRage Registered User regular
    the hilda books are cute. by luke pearson

it's also a cartoon series on netflix

-in warframe (pc), i am fungible-