As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The General [Coronavirus] Discussion Thread is WAY worse than the flu

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    I think he wants to try and fire the entire federal government at once.

I would agree but this man has no plans, and just lashes out at the nearest oersont to him or the latest being mean. He's a fucking child who throws tantrums.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I’m guessing it’s not trumps idea, all these kinds of orders smack of republican wish lists and trump just agrees to whatever one he’s in the mood for, or is explained to him in a way he personally feels he can benefit from

It fits into the broader goal of republicans to break the government and make it ineffective

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    The good news is it won't go into effect for three months from when he signed it which is coincidentally the day after the Inauguration.

The day before.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    So interesting development here. Has anyone heard or seen that Costco is now selling PCR-type Covid-19 testing kits? I haven't heard of this company before so I'm really leery of the accuracy/efficacy of these kits, especially given how many clams they want for it. They claim they're more accurate than the nasal swab test, but I thought we hadn't gotten to the point of accurate/reliable antibody testing using just saliva fully deployed yet?

oc7j54s9mis5.png

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    So interesting development here. Has anyone heard or seen that Costco is now selling PCR-type Covid-19 testing kits? I haven't heard of this company before so I'm really leery of the accuracy/efficacy of these kits, especially given how many clams they want for it. They claim they're more accurate than the nasal swab test, but I thought we hadn't gotten to the point of accurate/reliable antibody testing using just saliva fully deployed yet?

oc7j54s9mis5.png

It's probably fine and along industry standards for accuracy.

But you should be able to get no cost COVID tests through your local health department or some major pharmacies and it should result out sooner than shipping + 24 - 72 hours.

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »

I would agree but this man has no plans, and just lashes out at the nearest person to him or the latest being mean. He's a fucking child who throws tantrums.

Yeah but he's also petty. He'd absolutely use this as a threat to try and get people to vote for him.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular

oc7j54s9mis5.png

Huh. If we have these I'm kind of amazed they haven't been using them on us, lol.

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »

oc7j54s9mis5.png

It's probably fine and along industry standards for accuracy.

But you should be able to get no cost COVID tests through your local health department or some major pharmacies and it should result out sooner than shipping + 24 - 72 hours.

There was a recent large Japanese study which showed that testing of saliva could be equally accurate compared to nasal swab testing provided the saliva was tested promptly and so no preservatives were required. There were some tests a few months ago which showed that saliva testing with time for shipping etc was still pretty darn good.

There's no technological reason why Costco shouldn't be able to source and sell a decent quality at home test kit right now. Not good enough for you to like, go work in a hospital after your recent trip to the coughing festival in North Dakota, but highly beneficial if you have been being cautious and need to go and visit a parent or grandparent.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    That's a PCR test, not an antibody test. It's ingredients are probably comparable to a 23andMe kit, with some sort of preservative stabilizer, and since it is getting amplified you're going to have better sensitivity than you would looking for antibodies in saliva. The next phase of PCR tests are going to be multiplex so 'viral cough' can get definitively diagnosed in one test.

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    23andMe kits are suuuper inaccurate if I remember correctly. So I wouldn't trust that kit unless you swabbed a known positive person at the same time.

23andMe kits are suuuper inaccurate if I remember correctly. So I wouldn't trust that kit unless you swabbed a known positive person at the same time.

Yes... i would worry about stability in the mail. Still, correctly amplifying the entire human genome and correctly amplifying between two and four virus genes are different orders of difficulty.

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Gilgaron wrote: »

Yes... i would worry about stability in the mail. Still, correctly amplifying the entire human genome and correctly amplifying between two and four virus genes are different orders of difficulty.

Real researchers mail samples like this every day without worrying about stability. If there's a concern with these kits it would be that a layperson would somehow mess up the sample handling, not that the shipping method is inherently risky.

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »

Real researchers mail samples like this every day without worrying about stability. If there's a concern with these kits it would be that a layperson would somehow mess up the sample handling, not that the shipping method is inherently risky.
    Real researchers usually don't mail samples for clinical tests that determine people's lives....
    There are legit chains of custody and transports.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Carrier Pigeon, MD

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

Real researchers usually don't mail samples for clinical tests that determine people's lives....
    There are legit chains of custody and transports.

Nah, shit gets labeled and thrown in the mail all the time. You might have a courier picking up, but half the time it's from an outdoor lockbox and the rest of the time it gets chucked into a FedEx or UPS mailer.

COVID kits are room temperature stable and the media is good for a year or two. Once swabbed they generally try to process them in no more than five days (their usual turnaround is < 24 hours) but they are still good for quite a while after that.

This is a box of COVID kits in our kitchen that procurement fucked up and I'm helping her (edit - my wife) relabel and repack. They are good through January 2022.

rjs3i0n8gj0w.png

zagdrob on

The stability parameters depend on which equipment/assay being used and how it was validated. Sometimes we get samples packaged correctly, sometimes they're in garbage bags; this may or may not be a problem depending on what the samples are for. The COC paperwork lets us know if/when to reject them. Knowing nothing about the Costco test nor what it is being processed on offhand, stability is the primary concern with PCR and where I'd start if I was auditing them.

The thing to consider in tests like the Costco one is "why and how am I planning on using it"

The right answer for at home tests like that is something like...

1)I am a regular caregiver to an at risk person, but do not live with them. I want a test to minimize my risk of unknowingly carrying the virus to them which I can take each week.
    2) I am meeting with friends for some kind of trip, we all feel well and we will isolate before we meet, however we all want to test ourselves during our isolation to minimize risk further.
    3) I run a small in person facility, and want to provide regular scheduled testing to my employees, but can't get a major partner to help me out. I want to provide my employees one test a week to enhance our social distancing, masking and other safety protocols.

These are all situations where you are using it in a supportive fashion to limit or prevent infections. In those situations, whether it is 90 or 99% accurate is a question of degrees of effectiveness.

• ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    I'm only tangentially considering it because the "free" covid testing options near my area all require me to have symptoms before they'll let me take it. At least the ones I'm looking at so far. Hopefully I can find one that lets me book an appointment to get it done just to be on the safe side. I mainly want to get one done before I go on trip to see my folks in December so I wanted to see what my options were.

I'm only tangentially considering it because the "free" covid testing options near my area all require me to have symptoms before they'll let me take it. At least the ones I'm looking at so far. Hopefully I can find one that lets me book an appointment to get it done just to be on the safe side. I mainly want to get one done before I go on trip to see my folks in December so I wanted to see what my options were.

"I want a test before I go on a trip" is exactly what this sort would be good for. Buy the test a couple of weeks before the trip, and be extra careful the whole time (stay at home as much as you can, masks always outside). Then, a week before the trip you transition to isolation (like, just stay in your house). Three days into isolation, take the test and (in your only trip outside) go post it. You should then get your results back before you need to leave and can drive to your parents, and see them with a strong degree of confidence you are not infected.

If you fly or just randomly socialize after the test, then the protection is eliminated, because your risk is dominated by being infected after the test or during travel.

If you have symptoms, get a test, but then don't go anyway. In reality, you should have your parents follow the same protocol and also get tested. Tests like this one are a great solution here if you can afford them.

tbloxham wrote: »

"I want a test before I go on a trip" is exactly what this sort would be good for. Buy the test a couple of weeks before the trip, and be extra careful the whole time (stay at home as much as you can, masks always outside). Then, a week before the trip you transition to isolation (like, just stay in your house). Three days into isolation, take the test and (in your only trip outside) go post it. You should then get your results back before you need to leave and can drive to your parents, and see them with a strong degree of confidence you are not infected.

If you fly or just randomly socialize after the test, then the protection is eliminated, because your risk is dominated by being infected after the test or during travel.

If you have symptoms, get a test, but then don't go anyway. In reality, you should have your parents follow the same protocol and also get tested. Tests like this one are a great solution here if you can afford them.

Yeah unfortunately I'm flying this time. I tried driving all the way to them for Labor day, but 20 hours of driving was just too much from a time/energy/gas perspective. Hopefully things will go well. I'm flying Alaska which at least is ensuring no middle seat occupancy, but I'm still understandably nervous.

Yeah unfortunately I'm flying this time. I tried driving all the way to them for Labor day, but 20 hours of driving was just too much from a time/energy/gas perspective. Hopefully things will go well. I'm flying Alaska which at least is ensuring no middle seat occupancy, but I'm still understandably nervous.

On a plane flying to visit older relatives? If I had to go I'd make sure to wear an N95, eye protection and to not remove any of that, even once, for the entire time between when you set foot in the airport to when. you get picked up by your parents. No food, no drink, nothing. Mask on 100% of the time. Stay away from anyone not doing the same as if they have the plague. Same on the way back for your own health protection.

Isolation for a week before the flight, and incredible caution during it. You've just got so much random exposure in that airport and on that plane that the extra delta protection from a test isn't going to be a big change to your risk. You're just reducing by 90% the already small chance that you have asymptomatic Covid and are still infectious more than 7 days after your infection time. Someone in the airport will definitely have the virus, and someone on the plane will probably have the virus and you will be in an air volume with them.

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    The thing to consider in tests like the Costco one is "why and how am I planning on using it"

The right answer for at home tests like that is something like...

1)I am a regular caregiver to an at risk person, but do not live with them. I want a test to minimize my risk of unknowingly carrying the virus to them which I can take each week.
    2) I am meeting with friends for some kind of trip, we all feel well and we will isolate before we meet, however we all want to test ourselves during our isolation to minimize risk further.
    3) I run a small in person facility, and want to provide regular scheduled testing to my employees, but can't get a major partner to help me out. I want to provide my employees one test a week to enhance our social distancing, masking and other safety protocols.

These are all situations where you are using it in a supportive fashion to limit or prevent infections. In those situations, whether it is 90 or 99% accurate is a question of degrees of effectiveness.

4) My locality/state/nation is giving up on testing for whatever stupid reason and I want something as a backup for my/my family's/loved ones use in an emergency.

North Dakota just gave up on contact tracing and told people to do it themselves. I would not be surprised if after the election, a lot of places try to stop testing because 1) They won so why bother? They can let people die now for the next two/four years, or 2) They lost so why bother? Everybody can just die now.

• notyanotya Registered User regular
    worldmeters says the US just hit a new daily case record!

Of course probably back before testing was up and running, NYC would have shattered it.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    notya wrote: »

Of course probably back before testing was up and running, NYC would have shattered it.

I dunno. Testing in NYC during the peak was down due to lack of testing materials.

Testing today is down due to intentional defunding at a federal level, and some states intentionally sabotaging testing and reporting levels.

The differentiation in deaths can be in part attributed to not understanding treatment options.

Not saying you're wrong. Just saying that there's a non-zero chance you are. Because not only has this Administration bungled everything, it continues to do so, unrepentently.

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Either way, cases hit 81k yesterday. It’s not a random spike either, cases have been trending upwards all month. The last record was 79k back in July. Deaths look like they are climbing as well, but it’s too soon to know if it’s a trend, but even with better treatments and knowledge of the illness, I suspect deaths will continue to climb as cold and flu season start and COVID cases continue to skyrocket.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
    edited October 2020
    MorganV wrote: »
    notya wrote: »

I dunno. Testing in NYC during the peak was down due to lack of testing materials.

Testing today is down due to intentional defunding at a federal level, and some states intentionally sabotaging testing and reporting levels.

The differentiation in deaths can be in part attributed to not understanding treatment options.

Not saying you're wrong. Just saying that there's a non-zero chance you are. Because not only has this Administration bungled everything, it continues to do so, unrepentently.

Well, during the first peak, when we saw a max of 30k infections a day, we saw a peak of about 2200 deaths a day. While deaths are delayed (and smeared in time) this means that at some point we were seeing at least 220k infections a day because the infection fatality rate then was somewhere around 1%. Maybe a little lower. At that point we were running about 150k tests a day.

In the summer we saw a peak of infections averaging around 70k infections per day with deaths reaching an average of 1000 a day at that associated peak. Meaning that at least 100k a day were being infected at some point. At that point we were running about 800k tests a day.

Now we are seeing an average of about 65k a day and rising, with deaths at around a 1000 a day again. Things are getting pretty smeared out now, and we aren't at the peak by any means, but this means that again 100k a day were being infected probably around 2 weeks ago, and at that point we were running 1.2 million tests a day and detecting 50k infections a day.

So, at the start we probably detected less than 1/10. Now we detect around 1/2 perhaps.

Edit - of course, if mortality with good care is actually only 0.5% now, or lower, then our cases are even more skewed.

tbloxham on
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Spite is one of his biggest motivators. It's 'if I can't have it, no-one can', but with a government.

Lame duck gonna be a shitshow

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    What, Bob Hope? What the fuck?
    Either way, cases hit 81k yesterday. It’s not a random spike either, cases have been trending upwards all month. The last record was 79k back in July. Deaths look like they are climbing as well, but it’s too soon to know if it’s a trend, but even with better treatments and knowledge of the illness, I suspect deaths will continue to climb as cold and flu season start and COVID cases continue to skyrocket.

Once the hospitals fill up, all those treatment options and the accumulated COVID knowledge stop mattering. Not just for COVID but for everything else too.

No-Quarter wrote: »
    Spite is one of his biggest motivators. It's 'if I can't have it, no-one can', but with a government.

I genuinely think he is going to transition from a passive attempt to kill Americans with coronavirus and incompetence to an active attempt to cripple Bidens ability to fix anything. Fire every cdc employee. Shut down the FDA.

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

I genuinely think he is going to transition from a passive attempt to kill Americans with coronavirus and incompetence to an active attempt to cripple Bidens ability to fix anything. Fire every cdc employee. Shut down the FDA.

If Trump loses he will just burn down Twitter via tweeting 200 times a day while signing every judge appointment that gets put in front of him.

CelestialBadger on
    Taramoor wrote: »
    What, Bob Hope? What the fuck?

Once the hospitals fill up, all those treatment options and the accumulated COVID knowledge stop mattering. Not just for COVID but for everything else too.

They'll stop all non essential surgeries again if they have to, but, that just buys time for us to actually do something.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Michigan blasts passed its record. 3300 cases today.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

If Trump loses he will just burn down Twitter via tweeting 200 times a day while signing every judge appointment that gets put in front of him.

So, the same thing he's doing now...

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    just came back from the community level of the building. I wanted to grill some burgers.
    The rules there:
    22 ppl max on the open rooftop (it's about 8k sq ft)
    masks
    distancing

the reality:

30+ ppl
    no masks
    4 separate parties, no distancing.

We left. Fuck these goddamn morons.

• HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

And today is not over and already at +77,966 cases on worldometer. Saturday is usually quiet. So either next week is easily hitting 90k or the weekly wave is flattening.

Edit: The day ended with 79,449 which is now the second highest peak and it's on a Saturday which is normally really low compared to the rest of the week.

Handkor on
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Someone mentioned before about how there's seemingly been a lot of local efforts to cover up school outbreaks so the schools don't shut down. Also a lot of parents are absolutely complicit in it. Not just "I don't wanna deal with my offspring so I'll drop them off at school despite their fever and cough" but actively refusing to get tested so they could play-pretend ignorance. In Utah it's called the Mom Code, because it's been spreading on Facebook Mommy Groups, because of course it is.
    Some of the posts read: "Stay home, don't get tested!" and "If your child shows COVID symptoms please keep them home but do not test."

This year I have gone from "zombie movies are unrealistic" to "zombie movie writers are keen observers of the human condition and they must drink as much as writers at The Onion to try to dull the pain of existing among other people."

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    This is driven, IMO, not as much by the "it's not even real" bunch as "it's totally real, but the way society is set up, we literally cannot afford to do the right thing."
    Capitalism demands our blood, and the blood of our children.

Commander Zoom on
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Someone mentioned before about how there's seemingly been a lot of local efforts to cover up school outbreaks so the schools don't shut down. Also a lot of parents are absolutely complicit in it. Not just "I don't wanna deal with my offspring so I'll drop them off at school despite their fever and cough" but actively refusing to get tested so they could play-pretend ignorance. In Utah it's called the Mom Code, because it's been spreading on Facebook Mommy Groups, because of course it is.
    Some of the posts read: "Stay home, don't get tested!" and "If your child shows COVID symptoms please keep them home but do not test."

This year I have gone from "zombie movies are unrealistic" to "zombie movie writers are keen observers of the human condition and they must drink as much as writers at The Onion to try to dull the pain of existing among other people."

I'd go a step further.

Zombie movie writers have been too f'n optimistic about what they put on the page about the human condition.

Like how political satirists look at the last four years and go "Yeah, there's no way that would have been accepted if it had been in the script."

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    All zombie movies should be black comedies as that's the only way you're going to sell realistic incompetence in the big screen, see: The Big Short

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Mayabird wrote: »

I'd go a step further.

Zombie movie writers have been too f'n optimistic about what they put on the page about the human condition.

Like how political satirists look at the last four years and go "Yeah, there's no way that would have been accepted if it had been in the script."

The writer of one series I've been reading has straight up said she couldn't write it is because it was too optimistic.

This discussion has been closed.