As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Xbox] Game Pass...passes...onto the new thread.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Its hilarious they had Dave cover Marcus's lines since he wants to play him in a movie.

I wonder how John Dimaggio feels about that though?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    I played Gears 5 on launch and the achievements were totally busted. I failed to get a bunch of "unmissable" story achievements, among others.

I've been meaning to go back through the game at some point, so this sounds like a good time to do so.

Wow, that sucks. I played it on launch as well and all the achievements worked flawlessly (that's not always the case with games)--they were just hard to get.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    I played Gears 5 on launch and the achievements were totally busted. I failed to get a bunch of "unmissable" story achievements, among others.

I've been meaning to go back through the game at some point, so this sounds like a good time to do so.

lol... my completion percentage couldn't take another hit from a Gears game (3770/14235 or 241/679 achievements done)... so I skipped it. D:

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    I'm sure someone out there skipped God of War because of their trophy ratio or Super Mario Odyssey for...whatever it is Nintendo has.

It's a sad world we live in.

• chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I'm sure someone out there skipped God of War because of their trophy ratio or Super Mario Odyssey for...whatever it is Nintendo has.

Nintendo not having achievements or trophies is slowly turning into a good thing.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I only bother with achievements as an excuse to keep playing a game I really like. Beyond that, I don't give a rip anymore. It's an incredibly meaningless number to me, especially given how completely fucked some achievements are. (The "seriously" achievements from Gears of War, for instance.)

• cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular

Nah, God of War's an easy plat.

I get your point, though.

cckerberos.png
    edited October 2020

The thing is, there are quite literally hundreds if not thousands of other games that I can play with reasonable achievements for my metagame, and no game that offers an experience that I would describe as remotely unforgettable... so... I hardly think it's sad.

Gears have bad achievements... many achievements that even actively harm and interfere with other players enjoyment of the game (see all the tanking and boosting that goes down with their ranked multiplayer achievements, which are garbage in general) ...so skipping the game wasn't a loss for me.

edit: also I actually bought Gears 5 which is a lot more than most people can say. :P

tastydonuts on
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    or just don't go for bad achievements and live happy

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    or just don't go for bad achievements and live happy

I don't, which is why my Gears series achievement counts are what they are. ;p

lol right, but still play games

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    or just don't go for achievements and live happy

FTFY :mrgreen:

Jazz wrote: »

next you'll be liming for truth @Jazz !

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

next you'll be liming for truth @Jazz !

You know it.

lol right, but still play games

I do play games though?

Not really sure why if I have a stack of games A, B, C... X, Y, Z—all of which are not "bad" games and equally enjoyable—and game "A" has achievements that I wouldn't bother with, and the entire remaining alphabet of games have achievements that I would bother with... my decision to play them first is difficult. o_O

lol I more meant in a general sense choosing your next game based on achievements vs the style of game and if you want to play it in a more broad sense seems whacky to me. It sounded like people wanted to play gears but are choosing not to due to achievements, which is what i think is silly but of course to each their own

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I select games to buy based upon whether or nit the achievements are bullshit. But those are game I generally don't consider much in the first place but now it's on sale for ten bucks so I just want to see how much thought was put into other aspects of game design and it has online achievements requiring 100 wins against the supermegaplatinum top of the leaderboard who totally didn't hack the game and no we won't reset the scores to address it can fuck right off.

How about a nice game of chess.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Anyone play Ghost Recon Breakpoint?

Got started with the friend pass thing, and its actually morphed into an enjoyable experience since launch. Still not as good as Wildlands, but the class perks synch up better and each feels distinct and enjoyable now. And AI teammates are a godsend and make the harder endgame stuff actually doable solo.

I've got 2 fiend passes left (let's you play the whole main campaign in co-op, I'd be available most weekeends after 7PM CDT, if anyone was interested, PM me your tag). Its not fantastic, but can be a fun diversion, especially if its free :)

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Another Xbox leak video was taken down, but a small piece of it was preserved again by Brad Sams:
    https://youtu.be/Le76hPBlkvo

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    My Amazon order finally updated. It doesn't say when it will ship, but now I can see the actual order number, order date and presumably this means they actually have them now. I know amazon doesn't charge until it ships. Still says "delivery date pending."

• Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Cards on table time, if that fridge was real I would buy it.

I take it you're one of those people who isn't bothered by a tiny LED light illuminating an entire room at night. because that diadem... D:

I have two computers that rotate an LED fan color all day it bothers me not at all.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Preacher wrote: »
    I have two computers that rotate an LED fan color all day it bothers me not at all.

but I said at night! :p

but I said at night! :p

I live in western washington night and day is pretty much the same.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Preacher just wants a night light.

• Trojan35Trojan35 I want Too Human 2. Registered User regular
    The first post list of games is awesome. Someone linked me a sortable X optimized list, which is kinda cool. My preferred view is filtered on November, grouped by gamepass.

https://listium.com/@Marc/51918/xbox-series-xs-game-list

Its hilarious they had Dave cover Marcus's lines since he wants to play him in a movie.

I checked his twitter, and John's pretty focused on something else rn, lol...

edited October 2020

I checked his twitter, and John's pretty focused on something else rn, lol...

I was worried about what you meant and was pleasently surprised when I went to go look.

Undead Scottsman on
    Poor soul. He still believes in electoral democracy.

In a more realistic subject, ol' Tricky Phil discusses a potential Game Pass tier that would bundle with hardware, mobile plan style (and also like Xbox All Access), as well as the potential for a dedicated Game Pass device more portable than, well, a console. Pretty believable, even if it is years away, considering Microsoft's well-established Surface hardware division and the potential advantages of bypassing Android handsets.

• M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    For those getting a new console, download the Xbox beta app on your phone/tablet - you need it to setup the new consoles, apparently.

I am now ready - I moved all my games to my external drive, and have picked out the ones to be moved to the internal drive. Only 400gb in total, so I have 400 or so to play with.

2 weeks 2 days.

I doubt you're required to use it, but I bet it's handy--and potentially hassle-avoiding--to authenticate your existing account on new hardware.

Yeah when I moved from a regular one to a one x, having an external drive made it easier but its not required.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Trojan35Trojan35 I want Too Human 2. Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Yeah when I moved from a regular one to a one x, having an external drive made it easier but its not required.

I'm wondering if the S/X can handle multiple transfers at the same time to get set up super fast, since its NvME write speed is so much faster than the old HDD speeds. Doing the following simultaneously would be nice for day 1:
    • Ext USB drive -> NvME
    • Old Xbox over Network -> NvME
    • Internet Download -> NvME

But given Xbox normally only queues one transfer at a time, this may not work.

Edit: Does anyone know if the "Series X" versions of games will just be updates/patches to the existing X1X versions, or will it be a complete re-download?

Trojan35 on
    how does xbox one x handle the updated versions for it vs vanilla? probably that way. I have no idea how it does it.

how does xbox one x handle the updated versions for it vs vanilla? probably that way. I have no idea how it does it.

The Xbox One X could do direct transfers from the Xbox One over network--I was assuming the Xbox Series could too, but that's taking it for granted that almost all the functionality seems to be carried over.

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    another Phil Spenser interview. not read myself yet, but looks like there's some interesting stuff in there.

Make a new Banjo-Kazooie, you monsters!

• Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Make a new Viva Pinata you cowards!