As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Streaming Services] Cable Television for the Internet Age

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Is it the old Liquid TV shorts? Those were hella horny, lol.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I'm watching Aeon Flux (CBS All Access). Still not sure if it's good or just weird, but it's definitely weird. (Also, really horny for a show that can't actually show anything.)

"Weird and really horny" is basically Aeon Flux in a nutshell.

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Is it the old Liquid TV shorts? Those were hella horny, lol.

They're the 10 episodes listed under season 3 here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Æon_Flux_episodes
    I'm not seeing any streaming services with the other episodes.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    That sucks. It seemed like the story with Groff's partner and his son's issues was just spinning up.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    I'm watching Aeon Flux (CBS All Access). Still not sure if it's good or just weird, but it's definitely weird. (Also, really horny for a show that can't actually show anything.)

don't forget to check out Reign the Conqueror from the same director. It's basically, what if Alexander the Great was a Jojo?

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »

don't forget to check out Reign the Conqueror from the same director. It's basically, what if Alexander the Great was a Jojo?

Oh man. I remember this. It was fucking bananas.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular

Good pitch, but doesn't seem to be available anywhere.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

Good pitch, but doesn't seem to be available anywhere.

There are some full episodes on YouTube.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Quibi closing up, even without 2020 it feels like it wouldn't have lasted a year. They didn't even win much in the short category for the Emmys, the only thing they can say with any real pride is AppleTV did worse than they did.

I guess the real winner is whoever is going to buy the streaming rights to the product for pennies on the dollar and just slap it all together to be normal size shows/movies.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Thought I posted it here, but didn't see it looking back. Maybe it was the movies thread.

The universal monster movies are on peacock which is a free streaming service with no log in required.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Tim Burton is going to produce and direct an Addams Family TV show.
    While not confirmed, sources say the new live-action series would be set in present times and be from the perspective of Wednesday Addams and what the world would look like to her in 2020.

The idea sounds bad, but definitely don't make it revolve around Wednesday, that seems like some CW level shit. Gomez being this macabre Al Czervik laying waste to the town or something, that has more originality than (likely) an sarcastic inner monologue lesson of the week from teenager.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Just watched the new Borat movie, very nice.

But I've been a fan since the late 90s when it was the Ali G show.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular
    New Netflix show "queens gambit" is realllllyyyy good so far. Taking it's time building a story and characters but moving along at a very satisfying speed.

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

Ugh, David. Just sit down and dedicate some time to it! We were willing to do it but you wanted to go spend time on other shit!

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I went ahead and stopped my Netflix account. Tired of them cancelling things. I like the service, but they're making it hard for me to see a reason to do anything other than re-up when stuff comes out, binge, and cancel again.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    I went ahead and stopped my Netflix account. Tired of them cancelling things. I like the service, but they're making it hard for me to see a reason to do anything other than re-up when stuff comes out, binge, and cancel again.

I cancelled it because of the same reason. A family member has an account if I ever need to binge a series.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I've now watched 7 of the 10 episodes of Teenage Bounty Hunters and this may in fact be my favorite tv show ever

I hope some other service/network gives it a season 2. CBS, I will finally sign up for your stupid service if you grab this show!

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I watched Battle: Los Angeles last night and found it to be a perfectly OK action movie. There's nothing surprising in there, of course, but I didn't find it to be the stinker it seems to be on Rotten Tomatoes. It had been on my list for a few months, but we finally decided to watch it because it was leaving Netflix in a few days.

Also watched Terminator: Dark Fate on Amazon Prime last weekend which I also thought was perfectly fine.

• Options
    I looked into Amazon's documentary section earlier tonight.

I was severely disappointed there was no option to report films as flagrant propaganda.

• Options
    RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Just watched the new Borat movie, very nice.

But I've been a fan since the late 90s when it was the Ali G show.

Wife and I just finished watching Borat 2. The main plot with Borat and Tutar was thoroughly predictable but I found the father-daughter pair to be charming. The people that they end up interviewing and trolling are (with the notable exceptions of the babysitter, feminists, and the ladies in the synagogue) utterly reprehensible, of course.

The missus didn't care for the movie as a whole but I think it had its fair share of chuckle-because-it's-so-cringey moments. Giuliani remains a ghoul. Maria Bakalova was the breakout star.

Raiju on
  • Options

I’m not sure there is a service out there that doesn’t cancel things at the same rate per capita, but I’m glad to see you voting with your wallet.

Mindhunter is 100% on Fincher though. Still so mad because I loved the show. We’ll have to wait and see if Mank was worth the trade off.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    Aphostile wrote: »

I’m not sure there is a service out there that doesn’t cancel things at the same rate per capita, but I’m glad to see you voting with your wallet.

Mindhunter is 100% on Fincher though. Still so mad because I loved the show. We’ll have to wait and see if Mank was worth the trade off.

My main goal is to encourage them to treat cancellation as something they do because nobody is watching, not because they think they have captured a given audience.

Forcing Bojack to finish up early was lame. Killing Dark Crystal is an artistic tragedy.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I feel like The Dark Crystal showrunners knew Netflix was going to bury it early in a shallow grave. The one season they got stands fully on its own to lead up to the movie, but could've been continued in another season.

Which is one of the huge problems with Netflix's whole "it's either a mega-success or its cancelled" approach. Who is going to want to bring anything worthwhile to Netflix if Netflix is just going to shoot it in the back of the head if it isn't an absurdly overwhelming success? One show that lasts several years and gets me attached is infinitely more interesting than 10 shows with one season each and none of them get time to go anywhere particularly interesting.

As it stands, it feels like Netflix is barrelling headlong into the same shitty low-cost reality show crap that turned me off regular television and utterly destroyed several of my once-favorite channels.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular

Per-capita probably. I don't know if it's actual experience or just the impression thereof based on having read that article about how Netflix figured out two seasons was the sweet spot but it feels like an awful lot of shows go two seasons and die.

And, really, that's okay! Things don't need to last forever! One or two seasons of a show could be great! Except there's some kind of bizarre interplay there where nothing lives past two seasons but none of the things which die seem to know it ahead of time, so it's not a satisfying two-season experience. It's an okay season one, an awesome season two, a sweet hook for season three, and... nothing else ever.

In other news: I bought a year of CBS All Access tonight because I'm weak. Also Lower Decks is great.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Yeah, if I could have a showrunner who says "We have a story that will run X number of episodes" and they actually get those episodes I'd be much happier

It's the will they/won't they drama of season renewals that makes me angry

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

My main goal is to encourage them to treat cancellation as something they do because nobody is watching, not because they think they have captured a given audience.

Forcing Bojack to finish up early was lame. Killing Dark Crystal is an artistic tragedy.

Bojack had gone on for the correct length of time and it ended well.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Bojack had gone on for the correct length of time and it ended well.

Ya I thought Bojack ended where the creators wanted?

Tuca and Bertie on the other hand...

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Bojack was cancelled, but they had enough warning to do a concluding season.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular

WoW used to have a box to tell them why you are cancelling when I've did so. Does Netflix?

steam_sig.png
  • Options

WoW used to have a box to tell them why you are cancelling when I've did so. Does Netflix?

They do.

• Options

Yep. I have a dashboard I can look at that shows me those. Not my team though.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020

WoW also had a crying Peon that would guilt trip you into staying. Maybe Netflix should add one of those.

Edit: maybe a crying Sense8 cast member.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

They do.

1) Costs too much
    2) No one to chill with because of quarantine
    3) Too much immoral filth being shown
    4) I was cheating on you with another streaming service and I can't live this lie anymore
    5) Not enough immoral filth being shown
    6) Favourite show cancelled
    7) Iron Fist cancelled

Option 7 is basically a captcha designed to catch bots.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Shadowfire wrote: »

WoW also had a crying Peon that would guilt trip you into staying. Maybe Netflix should add one of those.

Edit: maybe a crying Sense8 cast member.

It would cost too much for them to continuously cycle characters from series they haven't cancelled yet that you watch regularly. You know how often that happens!

Netflix is aware of why people dont like/are leaving, the issue is if they care. They won't until they have to. These services are built around new users pulled in for growing revenue period over period. Were still in the era where they don't know what to do once they have them and I bet are largely dependent on them forgetting their monthly billing.

Retention probably isnt that important, because if they were customers once, they will probably be back eventually for 2 more years (2 seasons ) of shows within the next 6 quarters.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    The Queen's Gambit has a few flat lines, and a couple moments of less-than-good-writing, but overall,

Really Good. Striking period pieces. Cinematography that was well done (framing, colors, etc).

I enjoyed it. Then again, I have rubbish taste, so take it for what you will.

• Options
    The Queen's Gambit has a few flat lines, and a couple moments of less-than-good-writing, but overall,

Really Good. Striking period pieces. Cinematography that was well done (framing, colors, etc).

I enjoyed it. Then again, I have rubbish taste, so take it for what you will.

Just started watching this, loving it so far.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    has anyone watched netflix "barbarians" and can give me a few spoiler free words about whether it's watchable?

I've only seen some reviews and according to those it's abit soapy and trashy, including the mandatory love triangle, etc. and having on the one hand the romans speak latin but the germans typical TV style high german comes across as a bit silly.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Holy shit I wanted Iron Fist to be good but the Kung Fu was just so bad.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

Yeah I think it’s the cancellation calculus that rubs people the wrong way. It’s not like OTA and linear cable networks don’t murder shows left and right. But you usually get the sense that it’s because they aren’t winning their time slot, there isn’t a better time slot for them, and only occasionally because they’re too expensive to produce. It really is “you were the only one watching this, sorry bro.”

Netflix’s math seems to be less about raw viewership than subscriber retention. I say “seems” because raw viewership numbers are hard to come by still? So something like SCD doesn’t get canceled because CBS is eating their lunch on Thursday night, it gets canceled because an algorithm determined that people wouldn’t drop their subscription if it was canceled, nor is it driving new subscriptions.

Which, on the one hand, fair. But it does mean, from what I can tell, that a show that people actually watch can be canceled if it’s determined that it’s not actually a sub driver. So the cost per viewer number starts to matter *a lot.* Whereas on linear TV I think the ad revenue can still justify keeping a show provided the eyeballs are there. Keeping the time slot filled with something people watch matters. Shows become a lot more disposable when there’s no schedule to fill.

Linear TV fought for one night at a time, one time slot at a time. Every show mattered, because that increment of viewership mattered. Netflix and streaming are fighting a binary fight with their lineup as a whole; you sub or you don’t.

mcdermott on
This discussion has been closed.