As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fire Emblem] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    If you generally want to avoid resting, and resting is the only way to fix Sword of the Creator, should I avoid using the Sword entirely?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    If you generally want to avoid resting, and resting is the only way to fix Sword of the Creator, should I avoid using the Sword entirely?

IIRC later in the game you get materials that will allow you to reforge it. Also, I believe it returns to full strength after the time skip.

It's more of a get-out-of-jail free card than something you're supposed to be using all the time, though.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I’ve gone through the game three times never using it save for what I think are the two most pivotal battles of each run, the one that leads to the timeskip, and the finale.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I wants

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Looks like they're adding some minor QOL change. Which is good, because I imagine that game has aged like milk at this point.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Ok so this is just a straight port of the very first Fire Emblem game. Wasn't this game remade as a DS or 3DS game?

For $5.99 I will definitely be buying it. But I guess my point is simply that I believe a better version already exists?

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Yeah. It's neat and all, but a localisation of 2010's New Mystery of the Emblem (the remake of FE3) would be more exciting.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Why not just include it with Nintendo Switch Online like their other NES games?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Ok so this is just a straight port of the very first Fire Emblem game. Wasn't this game remade as a DS or 3DS game?

For $5.99 I will definitely be buying it. But I guess my point is simply that I believe a better version already exists?

Yeah, they remade it for the DS as Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon. It was fine. Added a little prologue showing why Marth had to flee his kingdom.

But the DS remake already felt older than even the GBA titles. I don't think I'm gonna bother with this remastered NES version.

Although I am pleased it exists. And not pleased that it'll only exist for a little while.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »

My armchair guess based on absolutely nothing is that it's possible the localization required so much code hacking and slashing that it's not an NES game anymore and can't be emulated as one. I mean that font alone. I really don't know though. People have apparently ripped the rom of Star Fox 2 and supposedly it'll run on any emulator.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon was a remake of the first Famicom game. It's pretty cool that they translated the original Famicom game, but they already made a version for the US market. I'm not sure what the differences are mechanically (since I never played the original Famicom version) but I bet the changes that were made brought Shadow Dragon up-to-date with the Fire Emblem games of that time when the remake was released.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    I finally picked up a secondhand copy of FE3H from reddit. I've been hemming and hawing on it for a bit. I love tactics games but wasn't sure I'd enjoy half the game being relationship sim (?).
    Got the game, turns out I really dig it! The relationship stuff isn't too over the top so it doesn't overwhelm the game. The skill/class stuff is neat and I'm ending up enjoying the teaching part since it lets you help spec your students into the classes you want.

I went Golden Deer, I like most of the characters. A couple I'm not big on, either from their attitude or failures on battle (Raphael...). And inversely there are a few I'm liking for the mirror reasons like Claude, and Hilda was my first crit in a fight and then she changed "Hilda, Hilda, Hilda!" and now I have an unkillable steel wall with giant pink pigtails!
    Working on a couple of my own skills to try and recruit a couple other students now.
    The chapter narrations have me completely lost, I just know I'm early in the game still, about to do the Eagle and Lion battle.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    Raphael was a huge disappointment to me as well in my Golden Deer run. I was expecting him to have terrible Speed, which he did of course, but he couldn't even get any Strength! I put him through Fighter and Brigand to level 18 and he still had the same Strength as he did at level 1 (he might have gotten a boost during the class changes, otherwise it was the same). I dropped him like a bad habit in the second half, since I'd brought in several other students from other classes anyway.

Been playing Blue Lions recently, and picked up Caspar. I had been a little disappointed in him when I played as Black Eagles but he's really killing it this time. If I play BE again, I think I'll try to put him into Wyvern Lord. It's a shame to lose his fist skills, but I think he's got the growths for it.

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular

Because Nintendo realized they can make a lot of money selling old games for a limited time.

Now will they do this for Metroid’s anniversary? Of course not. Assholes.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular

Because Nintendo realized they can make a lot of money selling old games for a limited time.

Is there really a lot of money to be made from a remake of a not-especially-good game that's already had a remake that sold poorly because it's not a very good game?

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular

Is there really a lot of money to be made from a remake of a not-especially-good game that's already had a remake that sold poorly because it's not a very good game?

I dunno, I guess we’ll see. Although it’ll never sell as well as Mario, I don’t think those things you mentioned will stop the collector’s edition from selling out. Switch owners seem all too happy to buy old Nintendo games, especially when there’s the fear of missing out.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I feel like they moreso just wanted an excuse to get that collectors item out for FE's anniversary.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Honestly I think the limited time thing might be some kind of weird anniversary thing. Like when they only offered that downloadable DS/3DS Zelda Four Swords thing for a short amount of time. I get the feeling there's some kind of weird logic behind it that they can't offer these things beyond the "anniversary" to make them "special"

• Options
    So completely random, but stumbled on this series of videos last night and I've been enjoying the heck out of them so I wanted to share:

Basically he's been going through every Fire Emblem game, in order, blind, and then writing up some really good retrospectives on each title. There's an interesting emphasis on how each title was impacted on previous games, improving some problems, or trying to innovate in areas, bring back old ideas, etc. It's actually really well done and the fact he's playing these blind is kind of cool.

Side note, yay my 35th anniversary FE1 thing shipped and will be here Saturday :3 I'm glad Gamestop didn't screw me over.

• Options

I've played every Fire Emblem released in the West, and while I'm glad the original NES game is now officially available, I'm not sure I actually want to play it.

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Got my Special Edition today. That is a gorgeous set. The NES cartridge is awesome

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    God I hate that I couldn’t get the 30th anniversary collectors edition.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    MNC Dover wrote: »

I've seen it popping up here and there. You can probably still get one

For example

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »

I've seen it popping up here and there. You can probably still get one

For example

I checked all the big retailers just now and their all sold out. Ebay and the like are $100+ right now. :/

Looks like I'll have to use a stock tracking site if I really want one.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    So I just got 3 houses yesterday. Been playing through it a bit, and I can't for the life of me figure out why you would ever choose not to battle on the free day unless there were quests to unlock new merchants or something.

Also I'm not sure if I'm upgrading units too early or if that isn't a thing in this game.

Dorothea is bae. She heals and kills everyone.

Not sure if I was supposed to fight the dark knight on the mausoleum map, but petra took one for the team to steal the dark seal. But I'm a filthy casual and don't have permadeath on.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    So I just got 3 houses yesterday. Been playing through it a bit, and I can't for the life of me figure out why you would ever choose not to battle on the free day unless there were quests to unlock new merchants or something.

Also I'm not sure if I'm upgrading units too early or if that isn't a thing in this game.

Dorothea is bae. She heals and kills everyone.

Not sure if I was supposed to fight the dark knight on the mausoleum map, but petra took one for the team to steal the dark seal. But I'm a filthy casual and don't have permadeath on.

Upgrading early isn't a risk. Dorothea is in fact a really good unit. She has one of the best spell lists in the game. Dark Knight is okay to ignore for a while, he's intentionally super hard to beat (but it can be done, especially on NG+). The main reason to spend a free day on something other than battle is to recharge student motivation and such in the monastery (by having Byleth eating an unhealthy amount of meals to invite everyone to one). And then you go do fishing and get training on Byleth since they don't ever get lecture bonuses.

Also I'm glad you don't have permadeath on, because losing Petra early would be unforgivable. (Although not a war crime like losing Bernie would be) She's one of the best units in the entire game.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    I only sent petra to steal because I don't have death on. She's one of my fav characters, and is a beast. I used to play perma death on but I didn't see the point of wasting time restarting when I could just move on. I don't have a ton of free time to waste on that.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Ever since they added the time wheel I don't have a problem going back to permadeath.

I feel it strikes a good balance of keeping me on my toes while also making minor miscalculations less punishing.

• Options
    Yeah, it's important to use your free day to boost Byleth's skills. If you want them to do anything other than generic swording, it's practically a necessity. You can't class into Cavalier or Pegasus Knight to start building riding or flying experience without first having some amount of it. Not that those are be-all end-all classes or anything. You also get a bonus to the training you give students if Byleth is better at that skill than the pupil.

Typically I do battles/paralogues once a month. That also keeps me from getting overleveled and trivializing the game.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i just went with what the majority of people were doing (if you have the online connection it tells you the % people chose something)...it probably wasn't 100% optimal but it worked mostly ok. the one thing i didn't figure out until later is that there were two types of battles, one you could just keep repeating (as long as you had the money/gear) and then "special" battles that would only show up for a limited time. Some of those are side story driving quests.

• Options
    Yeah that was how they handled paralogues this time around.

• Options
    Nintendo just released a new video about the history of Marth to plug the release of FE1 from last year? OK....

https://youtu.be/7cHOuhgDWMw

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    30 years of the Fire Emblem series of games means 30 years of memorable moments! Join Chief Fehnix for this candid, in-depth discussion with a few of the voices that helped bring some fan-favorite Fire Emblem characters to life.

This video does not contain any new information regarding upcoming titles from Nintendo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSQxOLcs2ss

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »
    This video does not contain any new information regarding upcoming titles from Nintendo.

Fandom's running with it anyway. Because it's fandom and that's what it does.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Huh... what would a definitive edition of 3H even be? An expanded Crimson Flower route, less repeated content overall? A new "yay, we're all working together" route?

Feels a little early for a re-release of it...

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Huh... what would a definitive edition of 3H even be? An expanded Crimson Flower route, less repeated content overall? A new "yay, we're all working together" route?

Feels a little early for a re-release of it...

Expanding Crimson Flower, making Silver Snow and Verdant Wind different from each other, turning Azure Moon from SS/VW with extra bits bolted on and other bits cut off into its own actual route.

So many things they could do. Not that I think any of it's gonna happen.

• Options
    Yeah...if anything I feel like each route could use extra chapters to better flesh out their stories but don't see that happening.

• Options
    as someone who just got to the time skip on the first playthrough, i cannot imagine wanting to buy an ultimate edition to play through the game again. the social links seem to not matter nearly as much as awakening or fates, but you still need to do all the monastary stuff to raise byleths proficiencies. Its kinda boring. while most of the maps have been ok, there hasn't been anything super interesting. the most interesting thing is do i want to throw units at the death knight or not.

This discussion has been closed.