As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How about [movies] that no longer exist?

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Back to the Future looks decent in 4K. It’s extra fun with the, I’ve always assumed, intentional bad makeup on the actors playing different ages of their characters being even more clearly badly done. I love it.

I didn’t notice in the old Blu-ray if they did much with the audio, but I do notice a nice surround sound effect with this version.

Except for Doc Brown yanking off his aging makeup for BttF2, no, the aging makeup was all quite serious but in a time before even theaters could show it enough quality for the rough edges to really show through. They were trying to stretch ages quite a bit with nothing more than latex, spirit gum, and makeup, but that's what they had at the time.

They do a pretty great job with it as far as I'm concerned. Older Biff and Old Biff both look pretty amazing to me considering what the actual actor looked like (and a fucking creepy prophetic view of the likes of Trump), and I'm still not convinced to this day that they used a different guy for Marty's father in the second film. Older Marty, if anything, way overshot the mark and made Michael J Fox look way older than he ended up looking for that same actual age.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Watched Overlord and They Live tonight. They were both really good! I had seen notable clips online from They Live over the years, but it was still fun to see the full movie. Also, man, that movie is like half Roddy Piper walking around quietly looking at stuff.

It was fun watching Overlord with a couple friends, though, because for the first hour or so they thought it was just a kind of ok WW2 movie until some of the hints sprinkled throughout at what was coming started to click for them. Ended up being kind of a fun romp.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    They do a pretty great job with it as far as I'm concerned. Older Biff and Old Biff both look pretty amazing to me considering what the actual actor looked like (and a fucking creepy prophetic view of the likes of Trump), and I'm still not convinced to this day that they used a different guy for Marty's father in the second film. Older Marty, if anything, way overshot the mark and made Michael J Fox look way older than he ended up looking for that same actual age.

Older Marty was a broken man whose dreams had died, and that'll age a person badly, so it works even more effectively like that.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    If you want Mandy's style in a good movie, try The Guest.
    auqf7dmo8xq2.png

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Watched Overlord and They Live tonight. They were both really good! I had seen notable clips online from They Live over the years, but it was still fun to see the full movie. Also, man, that movie is like half Roddy Piper walking around quietly looking at stuff.

It was fun watching Overlord with a couple friends, though, because for the first hour or so they thought it was just a kind of ok WW2 movie until some of the hints sprinkled throughout at what was coming started to click for them. Ended up being kind of a fun romp.

Overlord is basically a Wolfenstein movie, and a lot more enjoyable in that vein.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    i really liked Mandy :(

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Seriously, as a kid who first saw Back to the Future 1 and 2 on shitty vhs before seeing 3 in the theater, I thought the makeup was intentionally bad. All this time it was part of the charm and you’re not going to convince me otherwise. :razz:

• Options

I wanted to like it, I really did, but the core plot is very disjointed, hard to follow, and it's often bleak for the sake of being bleak, which I hate.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I bought Overlord on 4K when it came out and still haven't watched it.

I think today might be the day.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I had a ton of fun at Mandy

It was a rainy midnight packed showing at an art house theater, I had booze and was a little high, and my friends were with me

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    That's how you shit on a movie without actually doing it.
    Edit: golf clap

joshgotro on
  • Options
    Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    I had a ton of fun at Mandy

It was a rainy midnight packed showing at an art house theater, I had booze and was a little high, and my friends were with me

I wouldn't say I liked it in the sense that I'd deliberately make an effort watch it again, but I'm certainly glad I saw it and I'm also glad there are people out there who can persuade the money men to fund things like that,

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Back to the Future looks decent in 4K. It’s extra fun with the, I’ve always assumed, intentional bad makeup on the actors playing different ages of their characters being even more clearly badly done. I love it.

I didn’t notice in the old Blu-ray if they did much with the audio, but I do notice a nice surround sound effect with this version.

Except for Doc Brown yanking off his aging makeup for BttF2, no, the aging makeup was all quite serious but in a time before even theaters could show it enough quality for the rough edges to really show through. They were trying to stretch ages quite a bit with nothing more than latex, spirit gum, and makeup, but that's what they had at the time.

Wait what? That's not Crispin Glover?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

Wait what? That's not Crispin Glover?

That's Jeffrey Weissman with a rubber mask to look like Glover. Glover won a lawsuit against Universal for using his likeness without permission for that.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    They also reused footage from part 1 so some of it is Glover, but not all.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Picked up Dark City Director's Cut thanks to you all. May watch it tonight.

Seen it on TV, and probably have an old DVD not the BD so will be interesting to compare to this version.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Wait what? I know cripsin glover was the original marty but I didn't know they actual used footage of him in the films.

Edit ok my memory is all fucked up. Chrispin glover was the dad. What's the story behind them using footage and him suing?

RickRude on
  • Options

I love they live. I grew up a wrestling fan so seeing roddy piper in a movie was awesome. And it's just good sci fi fun, and a little scary for a kid. One of my favorites.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    They Live is worth it just for that incredibly long steadily more ridiculous fight sequence.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    "Put on those glasses... or start eating that trash can"

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Wait what? I know cripsin glover was the original marty but I didn't know they actual used footage of him in the films.

Edit ok my memory is all fucked up. Chrispin glover was the dad. What's the story behind them using footage and him suing?

You are thinking of Eric Stoltz, who was original cast instead of Michael J. Fox.

Crispin had problems with Zemekis, both creative (he disagreed on the ending, where the family due to Marty's actions are now financially well off, considering that George ending up with Lorraine was the happy ending) and he was paid less than the other actors (or at least that's what he said).

It was pretty weird that they decided to mask the replacement actor in part 2 though, Jennifer had a different actor as well and they didn't found it necessary there.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    I'm going to have to look this up , rewatch the movies m. I never noticed the masked cripsin glover , but never paid attention. 1 and 2 are some of my favorite, and most watched recorded vhs I owned as a kid.

Edit.

I'm just now reading this but for anyone else that was curious about this and didn't know about it here's an article

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/back-future-ii-a-legal-833705

RickRude on
  • Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

I wanted to like it, I really did, but the core plot is very disjointed, hard to follow, and it's often bleak for the sake of being bleak, which I hate.

Mandy is at its core a run of the mill revenge movie. Our protagonist is wronged, so he goes out killing. It's heavy metal Death Wish. Its got some neat psychedelic visuals, some villains with designs borrowed from Hellraiser and weird performances from Andrea Risborough and Linus Roach and his roach ("You're a special one Mandy!"). Nicholas Cage also goes maximum Nicholas Cage in his underpants.

I f'in love it.

Also - Cheddar Goblin.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNjlVy_ljlQ

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    I wonder how Val Kilmer is doing.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

He had cancer recently which is what lead to a lot of those shitty photos of him looking fat, also he's 60 and relaxing.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Preacher wrote: »

He had cancer recently which is what lead to a lot of those shitty photos of him looking fat, also he's 60 and relaxing.

Ahh. Thanks.

Drez on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Ahh. Thanks.

Yeah I was sorry to hear he had some kind of throat cancer and everyone going "Lol fat kilmer lol" and its like dude had cancer and he's getting to be a senior citizen don't make me bust out a yoda on you.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Kilmer had esophageal cancer and had his voice box removed. He sadly speaks with a vocoder now. But he seems to be in good spirits and even goes to fan events and conventions sometimes.

• Options
    Damn. Didn’t know he had his voice box removed :/

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Atomika wrote: »
    Kilmer had esophageal cancer and had his voice box removed. He sadly speaks with a vocoder now. But he seems to be in good spirits and even goes to fan events and conventions sometimes.

Wow. Isn't esophageal cancer one of the particularly bad ones?

Tynnan on
  • Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Dizzy D wrote: »
    RickRude wrote: »

You are thinking of Eric Stoltz, who was original cast instead of Michael J. Fox.

Crispin had problems with Zemekis, both creative (he disagreed on the ending, where the family due to Marty's actions are now financially well off, considering that George ending up with Lorraine was the happy ending) and he was paid less than the other actors (or at least that's what he said).

It was pretty weird that they decided to mask the replacement actor in part 2 though, Jennifer had a different actor as well and they didn't found it necessary there.
    Crispin Glover is also notoriously... unusual.
    https://youtu.be/AwKcPRCV6bI
    (Apologies for not inlining Tom Wilson's official version, but he uses different lyrics on his own channel)

He did an interview with David Letterman which was infamous in that it caused Letterman to walk off his own program after Glover kicked towards Letterman's head. Allegedly, Glover was "in character" for the interview but had neglected to tell anyone so Letterman and the audience reacted accordingly.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dYjdKbMT_c

Since at the time there wasn't any legal precedent, and Glover was allegedly demanding $1M to appear in the film (the budget was $40M), I'm not particularly surprised that the producers decided to just go with a different actor - after all, they had replaced both Marty's girlfriend for BttF2 and Marty himself partway through filming BttF1. It was the decision to re-use the archive footage of the Enchantment Under the Sea dance AND have the replacement actor use a mask for the inserts that got them in trouble - if they'd reshot the whole thing with the mask-less replacement, or ONLY included archive footage of Glover, there wouldn't be an issue. It's a fantastic setpiece that they integrated the old and new footage, but the settlement ended up costing them (allegedly) $760K (still cheaper than what Glover was demanding).

The lawsuit set a precedent so that a clause explicitly prohibiting the use of an actor's likeness (i.e. that gives the impression the actor is genuinely featured in the production - lookalikes where you can tell it is not the actor is fine) is now part of the standard SAG contract.

Edit: removed old draft.

Archangle on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    It's why he was completely redubbed in... The Snowman? I think? He was going through treatment and just couldn't speak well.

• Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    Re: Crispin Glover

One addendum regarding the lawsuit, it was relatively common knowledge that Glover had asked for $1M to return to film BttF2 - for comparison Michael J. Fox got $250K for the original film which was upped to $5M for the sequels, but he was arguably the 3rd hottest actor in the US at the time behind Eddie Murphy (with Beverly Hills Cop 1 & 2 and Coming to America) and Tom Cruise (Top Gun, Cocktail, Rain Man).

What actually caused Glover to file suit was when people started congratulating him on his negotiating skills, because they'd seen "him" in the footage and assumed the producers had caved and paid his fee.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Looking at screenshots....it really looks nothing like him, even the hair is wrong.

• Options
    The new adam sandler Halloween movie is a pleasant surprise. (Netflix) I hate his voice but loved the movie as a whole. Was a lot of fun, with a lot of funny moments, and you can probably show it to kids and have it be a little scary for them. Less so than earnest scared stupid, but in the same vein.

I really enjoyed it.

• Options
    Just saw the in memeoriam at the end. That's fucking sad :(

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I've been on my typical halloween horror movie binge. Decided to just go down the list on youtube and Hulu and watch anything that grabbed my interest.

So far here's what I've watched:

Killer Clowns from Outer Space
    Actually better than I thought it would be. I went in with really low expectations and was pleasantly surprised, the acting actually holds up and it's funny more than actually scary. Though the scene with the kid in the diner made me feel grossed out. Points docked for killing the dog at the start.

Pet Semetary 2019
    I went in expecting to like this one, ended up hating the dad for the entire duration. Maybe a better actor could have pulled it off, but he just comes across as the catalyst for all the bad things that happen later on. Props for keeping the crazy mom subplot in which I assume is from the book. I like this new era of more faithful Stephen King adaptations. Points docked for killing the cat at the start, then immediately redacted for resurecting said cat

Child's Play 2019
    Expected to hate this one, actually ended up quite enjoying it. It's heavily carried by the adult cast, but the kids were actually not bad either. I really chuckled at the typical "Gibby" archetype for the main kids friends. I felt like the only miscast person was the mom's boyfriend. Bonus points for Mark Hamill

Hellraiser
    I had never actually seen this before and expected more... Pinhead and friends. But I ended up really liking the Frank character and just the truly twisted way he dies... Again. Idk it's just a movie that's so unabashedly in your face you can't help but enjoy it. The practical effects are off the fucking charts here and I really appreciated it. 10/10

Coherence
    In stark contrast to Hellraiser, this movie is not gory at all and has zero effects budget. It's just a bunch of friends getting drunk and realizing they are stuck in a fractalizing pocket dimension, when they encounter themselves and spiral into an unsolvable math problem. I liked it for the strong concept and weird nighttime footage. The daytime footage at the end felt almost more creepy. Not bad for a movie with a bunch of nobodies and no budget. like Cube but less deaths.

Overlord
    broooooo this shit. I was trying to multitask as it started, and the intro literally grabbed my atention and ripped it away from anything else. This movie is just perfect. Like the casting, the colors and framing, the effects and costumes. Idk why nobody told me about this shit. Top shelf.

Double Double Toil and Trouble
    I watched this movie a lot as a kid. I put it on for 10 minutes to jog my memory. The plot is... Mary Kate and Ashley use magic to annoy their neighbors into submission. I was a stupid kid apparently. This is bad.

Ernest Scared Stupid
    I actually haven't watched this one yet it's not on Hulu but I wanna rewatch because it was really creepy to me as a kid. The slimy goblins or whatever still are burned into my mind. I also remember the stakes being like, life or death? 🤔

Blade
    this is the best wesley snipes movie and it's better than the matrix which is saying something. It's like the perfect superhero movie because it has Blood! and Kris Kristofferson as his grandpa buddy is so badass and I'm sad he dies in this one because the other movies would have been way better with him in it

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I've been on my typical halloween horror movie binge. Decided to just go down the list on youtube and Hulu and watch anything that grabbed my interest.

So far here's what I've watched:

Killer Clowns from Outer Space
    Actually better than I thought it would be. I went in with really low expectations and was pleasantly surprised, the acting actually holds up and it's funny more than actually scary. Though the scene with the kid in the diner made me feel grossed out. Points docked for killing the dog at the start.

Pet Semetary 2019
    I went in expecting to like this one, ended up hating the dad for the entire duration. Maybe a better actor could have pulled it off, but he just comes across as the catalyst for all the bad things that happen later on. Props for keeping the crazy mom subplot in which I assume is from the book. I like this new era of more faithful Stephen King adaptations. Points docked for killing the cat at the start, then immediately redacted for resurecting said cat

Child's Play 2019
    Expected to hate this one, actually ended up quite enjoying it. It's heavily carried by the adult cast, but the kids were actually not bad either. I really chuckled at the typical "Gibby" archetype for the main kids friends. I felt like the only miscast person was the mom's boyfriend. Bonus points for Mark Hamill

Hellraiser
    I had never actually seen this before and expected more... Pinhead and friends. But I ended up really liking the Frank character and just the truly twisted way he dies... Again. Idk it's just a movie that's so unabashedly in your face you can't help but enjoy it. The practical effects are off the fucking charts here and I really appreciated it. 10/10

Coherence
    In stark contrast to Hellraiser, this movie is not gory at all and has zero effects budget. It's just a bunch of friends getting drunk and realizing they are stuck in a fractalizing pocket dimension, when they encounter themselves and spiral into an unsolvable math problem. I liked it for the strong concept and weird nighttime footage. The daytime footage at the end felt almost more creepy. Not bad for a movie with a bunch of nobodies and no budget. like Cube but less deaths.

Overlord
    broooooo this shit. I was trying to multitask as it started, and the intro literally grabbed my atention and ripped it away from anything else. This movie is just perfect. Like the casting, the colors and framing, the effects and costumes. Idk why nobody told me about this shit. Top shelf.

Double Double Toil and Trouble
    I watched this movie a lot as a kid. I put it on for 10 minutes to jog my memory. The plot is... Mary Kate and Ashley use magic to annoy their neighbors into submission. I was a stupid kid apparently. This is bad.

Ernest Scared Stupid
    I actually haven't watched this one yet it's not on Hulu but I wanna rewatch because it was really creepy to me as a kid. The slimy goblins or whatever still are burned into my mind. I also remember the stakes being like, life or death? 🤔

Blade
    this is the best wesley snipes movie and it's better than the matrix which is saying something. It's like the perfect superhero movie because it has Blood! and Kris Kristofferson as his grandpa buddy is so badass and I'm sad he dies in this one because the other movies would have been way better with him in it

Blade is woefully underrated. I seem to recall it's BO being impressive in its day but it's ridiculously dwarfed nowadays. It's a mix of perfect casting for Blade, and Frost and most people to be fair, but Blade in particular. The female character isn't just a damsel in distress, the Vampire world is interesting and veers more into that Bloodlines hedonistic territory that of course it would and the action is fantastic. Easily one of if not the best comic film openings ever? Maybe one of the best openings in film.

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Ernest Scared Stupid is a fantastic kids horror comedy and the monster FX is great.

Most of the Ernest movies are still goofy fun...maybe avoid Ernest Goes to Africa, though.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
This discussion has been closed.