As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's not anime, it's the 4th [Gunpla] thread

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Jeez, that Wing of the Skies effect set for the RG Strike Freedom Gundam...

That looks sweet as all hell.

Yeah, I picked up the clear RG Strike Freedom back in August...I'm tempted to get the effect set to go with it.

• MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    They really improved those Happy Meal toys huh?

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Midnite wrote: »
    They really improved those Happy Meal toys huh?

All the better to nerve gas innocent spacenoids with.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    My timing is impeccible.

So I decided to order that Banshee, right? The thought was, I'd go on and also pick up some nice Gundam Planet nippers. But when I went, none were in stock - all I saw was that nifty holder. So I'm like.. whatever, those would've just been a luxury purchase anyways, no big deal right?

... Today Gundam Planet sends me a flyer saying they have a restock of God Hand products. SIGH.

I really do like my Tamiya nippers, but I'd like to try side cutters, and maybe some other things. Don't know I could also use a wider range of files than the Mr. Hobby starter I have.

I'm mostly afraid of the Phenex. I've never worked with a metallic coated model before, and I don't want to scuff it up or scratch it when I get it in a few months.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Someone please explain to me how to properly use God Hand nippers because sometimes I get really beautiful and nearly invisible cuts and sometimes I get white junk like with my basic nippers.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Someone please explain to me how to properly use God Hand nippers because sometimes I get really beautiful and nearly invisible cuts and sometimes I get white junk like with my basic nippers.

No clue but I am debating buying the entry level ones and the ultimate ones and learning! >.< They also have some really cool wide-tipped tweezers.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    yo look at this sick as hell custom qubeley

I thought this was Diamond Weapon...

qka4k6a3nz6s.png

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    well it's unpainted :P but yeah the WEAPONs are very gundam-inspired along with a few other things
    or I should say it's base coated, if it were unpainted it would be a patchwork of colors from the bits it's kitbashed out of.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    well it's unpainted :P but yeah the WEAPONs are very gundam-inspired along with a few other things
    or I should say it's base coated, if it were unpainted it would be a patchwork of colors from the bits it's kitbashed out of.

Weapon models would be amazing, especially the underrated Sapphire.

sl8dxm2evpwj.png

wVEsyIc.png
    Somewhere I had, or used to have, a Final Fantasy action figure of some random summon. I'm kind of surprised there isn't more FF Based stuff.

Maybe some resin kits or 3d print models?

• LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Ruby Weapon definitely has HyGogg arms

And Emerald is DEFINITELY a Neue Ziel with the model number filed off

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
    Square-Enix produces pretty high quality statues of some of their characters and monsters.

BahamutZERO.gif
    Swinging back around to nippers/cutters, doing a bit of looking online to see if I should splurge...

Turns out, my main set is from August 2018: Tamiya America, Inc Sharp Pointed Side Cutter, TAM74035

So I've had them for about 2 years, so probably about 10-15 kits, including the PG and Gojulas.

I have no clue when they would go bad or wear down. I think I'm just getting enticed by the shiny, as it were. But a lot of people use mine for the initial cut (far from the piece) and then God Hands for up close... debating if I want to do that.

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    God Hands are VERY prone to breaking when used on thicker parts. I highly recommend the Gundam Planet nippers, which are side cutters with a thicker shank. I've used mine for four years now without issues.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    Ruby Weapon definitely has HyGogg arms

And Emerald is DEFINITELY a Neue Ziel with the model number filed off

I would love to see a FFIX Alexander kit.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GemT2kn1TC0

god FF9 bahamut is so cool

BahamutZERO.gif
    edited October 2020
    Heffling wrote: »
    God Hands are VERY prone to breaking when used on thicker parts. I highly recommend the Gundam Planet nippers, which are side cutters with a thicker shank. I've used mine for four years now without issues.

They don't seem to have them in stock anymore?

On top of that, I just watched a video on them and the reviewer's seemed to stick - like the magnet defeated the whole point of the spring. So maybe he was doing something really wrong... but it just wasn't very flattering.
    god FF9 bahamut is so cool

Since I was in High School I want a model, toy, or SOMETHING of FF7 Bahamut Zero.

Your presence on these forums sustains me. :D

Edit: Highwind and other airships too, now that I think about it. But I really do love dragons. Damn I want a good Escaflowne.

Athenor on
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    There was a really nice figure of FF10 Bahamut that teenage me always wanted.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I use my Godhand as follows :
    - cut the part off at a spot where the runner starts getting thinner
    - when the part is loose, give the cut pieces a second cut just within 1mm
    - file the rest off with a sanding stick of 240 roughness (the roughest side), and then go over it with 400 roughness (the less rough side)
    - then use the fingernail polishing stick with side 1 (even out perfections), then side 2 (smooth) and possible side 3 (buff). I don’t use side 4 (shine) as a treatment of side 3 makes it pretty shiny already

The only moment I don’t use the sanding stick/fingernail stick, is when the connecting bit to the runner connection is in a concave (inside bottom of the letter U) spot; then I use the Godhand as close to the surface as possible. It still gets a little bit stress discolouration there, but it is acceptable most of the times.

And that’s why it can take between 1-2 hours to simply finish a 1/144 leg/arm/torso for me. :razz:

So I am really looking forward when I tackle that RG Sazabi, that is apparently completely undergated, so that all the nub marks are in hidden spots; that should accelrate my building times enormously.

Corporal Carl on
    PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    I've still polished all the undergated nub marks to invisibility on my Sazabi so far

Like you said, that is why it is so far and not done

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
    Yeah, starting to do filing/sanding/polishing has added so much time to my assembly, above and beyond panel lining.

Though I found that using the fingernail stick sides 1 and 2 tended to scratch/mar areas way away from the nub/mark. Maybe sanding sticks will help with that. It's also why I am considering curved files.

Athenor wrote: »
    Yeah, starting to do filing/sanding/polishing has added so much time to my assembly, above and beyond panel lining.

Though I found that using the fingernail stick sides 1 and 2 tended to scratch/mar areas way away from the nub/mark. Maybe sanding sticks will help with that. It's also why I am considering curved files.
    Your fingernail stick side 1 shouldn’t feel too rough. My whole fingernail stick with its 4 sides are more for smoothing/polishing than actual filing.
    And if I hit something with side 1, side 2 and 3 often make it shiny as new (and maybe even shinier)

The 240 roughness will leaves scratches, if used alone. I try to minimize the area it affects, and use the 400 in circular motions to smooth those scratches out.

But yeah, even with sanding sticks, you’ll often hit areas a bit away from the nub mark too. My side 1 feels smoother than the 400 stick, so I have quite a few degrees of smoothness I can get.

I don’t understand why in my sanding stick pack the was a stick with “smoothness” 40, because that thing carves into plastic :eek:

And I have to admit, building white suits goes much quicker as the lighter discolouration of nub marks isn’t as visible as with other (and darker) colours.

So then you have more building than sanding time :biggrin:

Finished!

66nx75a1lpaz.png
    5318screenshot3.png

wVEsyIc.png
  • KandenKanden Registered User regular
    Woo! my polypod ball finally arrived, really looking forward to building this one!

Old friend who got me into Gunpla saw my banshee next to the unicorn pic, and was like "hey, now you should get the phoenix to complete the set!"

I laughed nervously as I posted part of my invoice from last month ...

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Kanden wrote: »
    Woo! my polypod ball finally arrived, really looking forward to building this one!

Can't wait to see pics of your ball

Oh brilliant
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular

Can't wait to see pics of your ball

No Context Gunpla Thread

uc3ufTB.png
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Whippy wrote: »
    i will buy any and every ball. i love ball

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Hey so full disclosure I ALSO BOUGHT THE SPIDERBALL

did y'all read the backstory in the manual? Fuckin' wild stuff.

Oh brilliant
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    We talking about balls in here now?

steam_sig.png
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I missed the preorder for the Polypod Ball on the official Bandai site. I had thought you'd be able to order any time in the stated window, but apparently they hit a cap well before that, at which point it became "sold out". Following advice from @miscellaneousinsanity earlier in this thread I ordered one from a site called side seven exports. Haven't heard from them since the order confirmation e-mail (back in late August IIRC), but here's hoping they come through for me.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    They are probably getting their shipment now, and are then going to start shipping out their pre-orders. I've seen pretty much every P-bandai US thing show up on other retailers.

I kind of regret passing on my own set of balls.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I bet it will get another round of manufacture.

I hope they do another round of the Gundam that is its like partner in the manga it's from or whatever. Is a cool suit and its built off the GM Sniper 2 MG so it's very solid.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    My balls arrived in the mail.

GQjX3CA.jpg

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Almost (?) a year after I ordered it, IT HAS ARRIVED!

47tgobs7tq4x.jpg

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I will say, I'm a tiny bit disappointed by the P-Bandai or limited kits whose manuals are like, just the instructions, no other art or poses in the book or on the box

Preeeeeeeety sure fed ex lost my box with my Polypod Ball and Dictus. I mean I can't know for sure yet but it's doing the same thing it did when they lost that getter robo figure I bought a while back.

I wonder if p-bandai keeps extras to cover lost shipments.

X22wmuF.jpg
This discussion has been closed.